The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-11-2006, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
does Queen Elizabeth II wear the Cullinans often (or 'granny's chips, as they are called at the royal jewels MB)?
Granny's Chips have not been sighted for many years. "Too ostentatious", and banished to the vaults. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toledo
Now, on jewels, I thought some of them came in sets, you know, matching earrings, necklace and tiara.
Some come as parures, some are matching pieces that have been acquired over time or reset from older discards, and some are separate items.

Old 02-11-2006, 10:12 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Now those Cullinan's don't look ostentatious at all on Queen Mary!

I like how the brooch echos the pendant in a larger size. If you look at Queen Mary from top to bottom, her diamonds get successive bigger as you go down while repeating the basic shape. I think the repetition of similar shapes pulls the look together without looking gaudy.

Old 02-11-2006, 10:13 AM
Royal Highness

Here is one of the best placed tiaras I've ever seen on a Royal/Imperial head. It's Empress Farah Pahlavi's perfect tiara:
http://www.worldisround.com/articles/254158/photo3.html

Of course, it helps out that Empress Farah Pahlavi was (and still is) an exquisite beauty that resembles Sofia Loren.

Here is she again with a matching set of jewels http://www.worldisround.com/articles.../photo174.html
Old 02-11-2006, 10:18 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Marengo, you bring up an interesting point about Princess Mary. The Danish Royal House has always been able to pull off a regal look with lots of jewels. Queen Margrethe does it best but even she isn't as splendid in royal jewels as Queen Ingrid.

I wonder if this is just the Danish way inherited from Queen Luise, herself a daughter of the old Danish regime. The two royal beauties of the 19th century who were known for their jewels were Luise's daughters Alexandra and Marie Feodorovna of Russia. Some of Marie's jewels are even more spectacular than Alexandra's.

Happilly this tradition has lived on in the Danish royal family.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:22 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toledo
Every time I see Queen Mary comes to mind how strong her genes were, the Windsors that descended from her inherited the strong features on her face instead Alexandra's more soft ones.
I think the Royal House of Norway has inherited more of Alexandra's soft features than the Windsors. Maud, Queen of Norway, Alexandra's daughter, looked very much like her. You can really tell it in King Harald, Princess Ragnhild, and Princess Astrid but even Martha-Louise and Haakon have some of the delicate features.

In the House of Windsor, only Prince Michael seems to have inherited the softer features.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:27 AM
Royal Highness

Empress Farah's other tiaras
http://www.worldisround.com/articles...8/photo33.html

This one resembles spider eyeballs more than a peacock's tail:
http://www.worldisround.com/articles...8/photo32.html

Another image of Farah's collection with a different outfit
http://www.worldisround.com/articles...8/photo96.html

the emerald tiara by itself: http://www.worldisround.com/articles.../photo182.html
Old 02-11-2006, 10:31 AM
Royal Highness

Thanks Ysabel and Warren.

And my question of the day: Anyone knows when it's okay to wear the jewels?

When Felipe and Letizia and Frederick and Mary did their respective overseas visits they had to attend official gala dinners. But none wore the tiaras or the men their official miltary outfits. So, when do they use the mega jewels? When is proper for a Royal Princess to wear the tiara in public or a private event?
Old 02-11-2006, 10:43 AM
Courtier

I agree that certain royal ladies can pull off the "maxed-out bling" look to perfection. I've seen Queen Margrethe do it, as well as QEII. Farah Pahlavi also seemed to be able to wear a quantity of jewels without appearing overdone and vulgar. I guess it's true that some ladies were just absolutely born to wear jewels (Queen Mary, Alexandra, Dowager Empress Marie, just to mention a few from history) and others should probably stick to one or two pieces at most. Nothing worse than seeing someone being worn by the jewels, instead of the other way around.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:56 AM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Times have changed. More was the standard during the turn of the last century and beyond but today it is deemed as vulgar and excessive. The royality of the past were untouchable and unapproachable. They hid their emotions behind a iron mask and ramrod posture. No one could compete with them. The "impression" was that they had this endless pot of money (for the majority I think that was true) and could and would flaunt their wealth. It wasn't just a fashion statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
I think many of them could wear the same amount as Queen Mary, provided they keep their backs straight and their head high, without looking rediculous.
I don't think that rings true since the royals of today don't lead the lives of yesteryear. Today's royals mix more amongst everyday people whether it be to sway public opinion or for charitable events, etc. Hell, you can even shake their hands.

Times have changed and so have fashion; it is a never ending evolution. Too much is excessive but jmo.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

I don't think the Queen wears Granny's chips all that often.

Maybe they'll get an outing on the occasion of her diamond jubilee; who knows?
Old 02-11-2006, 07:31 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackswife
I agree that certain royal ladies can pull off the "maxed-out bling" look to perfection. I've seen Queen Margrethe do it, as well as QEII. Farah Pahlavi also seemed to be able to wear a quantity of jewels without appearing overdone and vulgar. I guess it's true that some ladies were just absolutely born to wear jewels (Queen Mary, Alexandra, Dowager Empress Marie, just to mention a few from history) and others should probably stick to one or two pieces at most. Nothing worse than seeing someone being worn by the jewels, instead of the other way around.
Having a long neck helps a lot! :p
Margrethe has one and so does Letizia, Rania, Victoria and Magdelene, Caroline, Mary of Denmark, Mathilde etc.

And of all the crowned ladies, for me seems Farah is the one who best pulls off emptying the royal drawer chest on her head and neck. She has a perfectly shaped face and every tiara she wears makes her even more spectacular because neither the gems nor Empress Farah get the attention, they share it evenly. Smack the same tiara on, let's say, the beauty-impaired-but-botox-enhanced Duchess of Alba and you simply don't get the same results.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:41 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry
Times have changed. More was the standard during the turn of the last century and beyond but today it is deemed as vulgar and excessive. The royality of the past were untouchable and unapproachable. They hid their emotions behind a iron mask and ramrod posture. No one could compete with them. The "impression" was that they had this endless pot of money (for the majority I think that was true) and could and would flaunt their wealth. It wasn't just a fashion statement.

I don't think that rings true since the royals of today don't lead the lives of yesteryear. Today's royals mix more amongst everyday people whether it be to sway public opinion or for charitable events, etc. Hell, you can even shake their hands.

Times have changed and so have fashion; it is a never ending evolution. Too much is excessive but jmo.
Call me old fashioned but I like the royal bling blings (=flashy jewels), the royal families are the representatives of the nation, both people and resources. If they host a gala with foreign dignataries I want them to show off medals, gems, the whole thing.

With Empress Farah the only thing missing was tying an oil pipe line to the back of the tiara to show off her country's power. And if she can pull that off then more power to her.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:48 AM
Commoner

I hope the younger royal ladies continue the tradition. It'll be sad if the only females wearing gorgeous jewels are the Oscar presenters!
Old 02-12-2006, 01:56 AM
Royal Highness

You make a good point there, Esmeralda. We like to see the Hollywood stars on the Red Carpet walking toward an award ceremony with half a bank of jewels around their necks. As if the movie aristocracy has replaced the real Royals on acceptable displays of wealth.

Also Esmeralda, welcome to the Royal Forums!
Old 02-12-2006, 10:20 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Talking about Crown Princess Mary, she has been one of the younger royals who can really pull off a regal look with a lot of jewels.

I was glad to see her wearing Queen Ingrid's full ruby set right after she married. I think the one thing keeping it from looking over the top is that the size of the stones are not that large but the overall effect is still quite opulent. The added specialness of the set is that a movie star would look ridiculous walking down the red carpet with this ensemble. Its made for royalty. Actually I think the opulence makes her look more fragile rather than overwhelmed.

The lines between royalty and the rest of us are becoming so blurred that the jewels play an important role in setting royalty apart. The history of the pieces and the grandeur highlights a combination that only royalty has - the history with a particular country and the wealth.

Old 02-12-2006, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Cullinan Diamonds, again

Here is another (cropped) Corbis pic showing Queen Mary and the four largest Cullinan Diamonds, I to IV. "Granny's Chips" (III and IV) are hanging from the necklace.

Queen Mary: Cullinans I to IV

Old 02-12-2006, 11:29 AM
Royal Highness

Mary looks like out of an illustrated fairy tale on that picture. Not only can she carry well the jewels without making the whole effect look too busy, but those big eyes of her do get the attention to focus on the person more than the surroundings. Makes me think of that expression the eyes are the mirror of the soul. How can anyone be mean to this lovely person is just beyond me.

In the next picture, I have to say is one of the first ones I've seen of Queen Mary, also on the eyes, looking almost relaxed! I remember my DVD, The Lost Prince, the banquet scene, were one prince ask his brother what is so strange about their mom (Queen Mary) that night and the other one responds 'she is smiling'.
On the jewels, Queen Mary like those stones big. It looks like the dress is also encrusted with gems.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:10 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Wow this really shows the size of "Granny's chips" Warren. This looks like a coronation-type pic with the crown and the ermine mantle. Its been said that Queen Mary and Queen Alexandra had the perfect shoulders and bosom for displaying fine jewels.

How many carats are we looking at? I've seen women wear other stones that size but never diamonds.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:13 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Hey Toledo, I agree with you about Mary's eyes. She's always had a very striking and unusual look that gets attention with or without a lot of gems.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:08 PM
Royal Highness

Well, Ysabel, one of my friends from work says that if you can see the white all over the eyes that means they are either crazy (the so called 'crazy eyes look') or they have a thyroid condition :p

In the case of Princess Mary is neither, she just have big expressive and dramatic eyes.

Tags
jewellery, parure