Glittering Royals and Royal Occasions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mtbcm

Serene Highness
City
Lisboa
Country
Portugal
Hola has made an appointement about the most impressive jewels worn by the Ladies in the party held the day before and at Infanta Elena's Wedding.

Here are ths pictures and a resume of pieces used.

Enjoy! :)

The Bride

Platinum Tiara, with diamonds. The earrings are in platinum with diamonds in the upper place, falling in platinum and ending in a pear form pearl.

The mother in-law

Used a necklace with Japanese pearls and pearl earrings.

The Queen

Choose earrings and brooch with pearls and diamonds. The necklace is with Australian pearls (only grow in the south seas of Australia and measures up to 12 mm), with an “ending” pearl of around 18 mm. (This pearls has cause some talking because is very similar to one offered by Felipe II to one of his wife's. According to History the pearl was lost or missing in Alfonso XIII reign and it was said to have been auctioned in London and bought by Richard Burton to his wife, actress Elizabeth Taylor.)

Empress Farah Pahlevi (at wedding)

A brooch with diamonds with a floral motif and combined earrings from the beginning of 19th century.

Duchess of Franco

A necklace in white gold, full of diamonds and with seven magnificent Columbian Emeralds.

Duchess of Osuna

White Gold, diamonds and Pearls. It is a piece dated from the XVIII Century. The diamonds are Indian from mines extinguished last century.

Princess Tessa of Baviera

Modern necklace and earrings. Diamonds, Gold and a Central Safire from Ceylon.

Queen Beatrix

Australian Pearls in degrade and matching earrings.

Queen Anne-Marie
Triple necklace with Japanese Pearls. The brooch has a central Safire matching with the outfit. For it color and size proceed probably from Siam.
Queen Noor (at wedding)
Earrings with large pearls and diamonds matching with the buttons on the outfit.
Princess Diana of France
The most impressive jewels with diamonds and platinum.
Empress Farah Pahlevi (at party)
Chandelier Earrings with Emeralds.
Queen Paola
Double Necklace with diamonds over platinum. Earrings with Australian pearls and diamonds marquise.

Princess María of Lichtenstein

Precious earrings in platinum and diamonds. A jewel from 1850. The purse was in gold with diamonds.

Queen Noor (party)

Diamonds and Colombian Emeralds Earrings in heart shape.

Archduchess Francesca

Earrings and Necklace in Diamonds and Colombian Emeralds.

Archduchess Sofia

A spring looks in Gold and Diamonds.

Princess of Saboya

Triple necklace with pearls and a central topaz with matching earrings.

These pictures were scanned from Hola magazine and posted through andThanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting)

Thank you very much for sharing these great pictures with us!

I loved Queen Sofia's pearl necklace. The ending pearl is quite a pearl!

So many of the ladies have long earlobes. I wonder if they were born with them or thanks to the weight of their earrings.;)

mtbcm said:
Queen Beatrix: Australian Pearls in degrade and matching earrings.
What do they mean wih Australian pearls? I believe Australia wasn't even discovered when the Orange-Nassau family aquired this necklace! It belongs to the family since +/- 1600.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Marengo!:)
I have no idea why they say it is Australian Pearls. I was affraid it was my mistake but I went to check out and decided to post the Hola coments on the jewels...

It doesn't help your doubt I know :eek: but this is the best I can do. I am not big fan of jewels so I was quite impressed to see this appointments at Hola. Until I saw this article I thought my Majorican Pearls were the best :D !
Regards.

Australian Pearls

Hi Everyone,
What they mean by Australian Pearls, are that they are the type of pearls called South Sea pearls, these type's of pearls are found in oysters that grow in the South Seas which lies between the northern coast of Australia and the southern coast of China. South Sea pearls are among the largest commercially harvested cultured pearls in the world. The average size of a South Sea pearl is 13mm, with most harvests producing a range of sizes from 9mm up to 20mm.
icon14.gif

I really like Marie-Chantal's tiara. Does anyone know the history behind it? I am assuming that it belonged to Queen Anne-Marie.

My notes have the fringe tiara as being a gift from Marie Chantal's father.

Which Royal wears a Tiara the most?

Tiara's are mainly used for Formal occasions (?) ... So who wears them the most?

I would guess it depends partly on how many state visits a royal undertook & how many traditional tiara wearing events each royal house had on their annual calendar. That said, you can no longer guarantee that these occasions will automatically generate tiara wearing, although events such as the Nobel Prize & British State Opening of Parliament are pretty much sure safe. Senior royals tend to keep the tradition of tiara wearing, so on balance it probably is QE.

I was wondering if maybe a European, (not BRF), Senior Royal; as the Europeans tend to visit each other's formal events more ...?

I love a Royal wedding when most of the ladies are dripping in diamonds, and Tiara's are part of the dress code!;)

Weddings, Portrait sittings, and State visits - incoming and outgoing - aside...

The Swedish have at least 4-5 regular tiara events each year:
1. The Nobel Prize Ceremony & Banquet on December 10
2. The Nobel Prize Dinner hosted by the King at Drottningholm on December 11
3., 4., and possibly 5. The annual "kungmiddag" or dinners for the members of parliament, ambassadors, prominent citizens, etc., held 2-3 times each year in the spring. In the past several years, it seems like there are usually 3.

Other "formal" events include the Polar Music Prize and the annual meeting of the Swedish Academy, but these usually do not involve wearing of tiaras, even if the men are in white tie.

The British have the Opening of Parliament but I am unaware of other regular/annual occasions that have a tiara dress code. Perhaps someone more familiar with them could provide more information?

Likewise for Luxembourg, it seems that currently the Grand Ducal family have at least one tiara event in the last couple of years for their national day celebrations. I don't know of any others. (BTW, have the Lux's always done this on national day or is this a recent addition to the court calendar?)

The Danish and Norwegian courts both have annual formal events with the New Year's court and Nobel Peace Prize, respectively, but neither are tiara events.

Other than state visits,I know of no other tiara events with the Spanish and Belgian royal families. Even their pre-wedding banquet/galas don't seem to involve tiaras.

For the New Years Court in Denmark, I have always seen the royals wearing tiara's.

The British have the Opening of Parliament but I am unaware of other regular/annual occasions that have a tiara dress code. Perhaps someone more familiar with them could provide more information?

In addition to the State Opening of Parliament, I would suggest:

State Banquets given by the Queen during State Visits [and for the 'return match' hosted by the visiting state usually held at their[London] Embassy/ High Commission or Claridges [i.e. if the Embassy or High Commission is not suitable to host the 'return match']

The Annual Diplomatic Reception hosted by the Queen at Buckingham Palace for the Diplomatic Corps in London.

State Functions abroad when the Queen undertakes State visits to other countries.

Tiara-wearing events in Britain are usually 'White Tie events'; the Queen usually hosts or is present at one or two 'semi-private' 'grand' parties [Balls] held each year for important family events; these are sometimes 'White Tie' but also sometimes Black Tie, so theoretically Tiaras are NOT worn, but in practice, the Queen, knowing how much people who have them like wearing tiaras [and how there are nowadays so few occasions when tiaras are worn] gives her permission for tiaras to be worn at such occasions.

Hope this helps

Alex

Last edited:
Tiara-wearing events in Britain are usually 'White Tie events'; the Queen usually hosts or is present at one or two 'semi-private' 'grand' parties [Balls] held each year for important family events; these are sometimes 'White Tie' but also sometimes Black Tie, so theoretically Tiaras are NOT warn, but in practice, the Queen, knowing how much people who have them like wearing tiaras [and how there are nowadays so few occasions when tiaras are worn] gives her permission for tiaras to be worn at such occasions.

Hope this helps

:previous:
Thanks is does.
If I had one I'd want to wear it as much as possible!!:lol:

The Swedish have at least 4-5 regular tiara events each year:

The British have the Opening of Parliament but I am unaware of other regular/annual occasions that have a tiara dress code.
Likewise for Luxembourg, it seems that currently the Grand Ducal family have at least one tiara event in the last couple of years for their national day celebrations.
The Danish and Norwegian courts both have annual formal events with the New Year's court and Nobel Peace Prize, respectively, but neither are tiara events.

Other than state visits,I know of no other tiara events with the Spanish and Belgian royal families. Even their pre-wedding banquet/galas don't seem to involve tiaras.
Thank you -- I will look out for pictures of these events, just to see the Tiara's!;)

I think this is a really interesting topic - perhaps we can keep some kind of informal count going in this thread. Post holidays is a good time to start.

Hope this helps

Thanks is does.
If I had one I'd want to wear it as much as possible!!:lol:

Possibly you wouldn't!! This is because Tiaras are actually rather heavy and not too comfortable to wear. My family is fortunate enough to have a family tiara -although it is not as ornate as some of the Royal ones - and I do know from personal experience what it was like wearing it [ brides in the UK generally wear a tiara for their 'white weddings']: for the first 15 minutes it feels novel to be wearing it, then after 30 minutes you really become aware of a slight discomfort, after 60 minutes you start thinking, 'Mm, I am not sure about this'. Basically, when worn by a bride at her wedding, an hour-and-a-half to two hours is about the maximum 'slight discomfort' that the can put up with before you end up thinking ' I want to take this heavy thing off!! It's a bit like wearing a bag of sugar on your head after two hours! Plus your hair has to be woven around the velvet band, and it feels a much stronger version of when you have tied your hair up rather tight with those elastic hair fasteners, plus the 'up-do' starts to feel painful in its own right after a couple of hours.......

Pity the poor ladies who have to wear their tiaras all day - this particularly occurs when there is a tiara-wearing event hosted by the Queen in London: there are only two salons whose hairdressers are felt to be very skilled in putting tiaras on: MichaelJohn and Hugh. For this reason, in order to accommodate all the clientele, both salons start to put the tiaras on at about 10.00am in the morning, such is the demand for appointments. On the day of the party back in 1990 hosted by the Queen for the birthdays of the QM [90th], Princess Margaret [60th] The Princess Royal [40th] and Prince Andrew [30th], you could spot various ladies in Mayfair and Chelsea wearing their tiaras with their jeans, intending to change into their ball finery later!! [I think that the more 'grander' you were, the later the appointment you were able to secure (and therefore the more comfortable you were!).

In my very humble opinion there were 4 main reasons why grand white tie balls became less popular and tiara-wearing opportunities diminished: it is generally only the Queen who hosts such parties now - off the top of my head, I can think of no recent white tie ball in the UK hosted by an aristocrat or other wealthy family

1. Cost - hardly anyone can afford to host parties on this scale any more

2. Diminishing number of tiaras - grand families, due to a mixture of taxes and general decline in their fortunes, found they could not afford to keep money 'tied up' in their tiaras and therefore sold - or were forced to sell - them. Once you find the number of tiara-owning guests is dwarfed by the 'have-nots' who either have to hire or turn up bare-headed [perfectly accecptable IMHO] you start to question the wisdom of hosting a white-tie occasion. Incidentally, few aristocratic families have large London houses with ballrooms any more, so the parties of the 19thnd early 20th centuries could never be revived!

3. 'Running costs' - even if you are lucky enough to have a tiara, it has to be kept in the bank and the insurance is alarmingly high...

4. The practical issue of comfort [see above]

Just my thoughts,

Alex

Last edited:
For the New Years Court in Denmark, I have always seen the royals wearing tiara's.

Thanks, Lumutqueen. I had a nagging feeling in my mind that I had seen them but maybe I am confusing the tiara-wearing at the New Year's ball/court with a reception for parliament members?

The one I was originally thinking of was the one that usually has only the Queen, Prince Consort, and Crown Prince Couple. The women are not wearing tiaras but they are in long gowns/coats (Margrethe II seems to rotate out three - one each in blue, red, and yellow) and Mary had at grey (?) outfit at least one of the years since she married Frederik. Can you clarify what this event is, please? Thanks in advance.

Rascal

This is New Years reception for the Corps Diplomatique at Amalienborg in Copenhagen. - the no tiara event.

This is tiara event, PPE Agency

The Swedes seem to 'win' as they have the most annual tiara wearing events, you can't really count state vists outbound or inbound as they vary from country to country depending upon the occasions. There are also weddings, special birthdays etc which for most countrys in Europe excluding the UK are tiara events.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Lumutqueen. I had a nagging feeling in my mind that I had seen them but maybe I am confusing the tiara-wearing at the New Year's ball/court with a reception for parliament members?

The one I was originally thinking of was the one that usually has only the Queen, Prince Consort, and Crown Prince Couple. The women are not wearing tiaras but they are in long gowns/coats (Margrethe II seems to rotate out three - one each in blue, red, and yellow) and Mary had at grey (?) outfit at least one of the years since she married Frederik. Can you clarify what this event is, please? Thanks in advance.

Rascal

The New Years Courts in in Denmark are 3 Events. The Dinner for members of the Order of the Elephant on 01. January at Amalienborg and the receptions for the diplomatic Corps one and day and for other officials the next day at Christriansborg. But only the first is white tie. At the second and third the Quzeen wears since around 10 years always the same blue gown (before it was the same model in yellow).
There is also a Gala Dinner for the members of Parliament but it's not annual it takes place once between the elections.

There are also weddings, special birthdays etc which for most countrys in Europe excluding the UK are tiara events.
Unfortunately this Events are only white tie in the scandianvian countries. In the Netherlands, Belgium, Spain there are no tiara Events apart from State Visits. The last tiara Event in Belgium was a few years back as there where no incoming State Visits in the last years probably because of the political crisis.

Last edited:
Queen Elizabeth II and the late Princess Diana

Thank you's

Thanks, Lumutqueen and Stefan, for further explaining the new year's events in Denmark. Because they all seem to serve the same purpose, I was grouping into one event in my head - hence the confusion on the tiara/non-tiara events.

Perhaps either or both of you could explain something else regarding the white-tie/tiara event. Is this only for Order of the Elephant recipients or are others invited? If so, how are they selected?

Thanks again to both of you. Hope you have a great day.

Rascal

Perhaps either or both of you could explain something else regarding the white-tie/tiara event. Is this only for Order of the Elephant recipients or are others invited? If so, how are they selected?
As far as i know it are only the members of the order of the Elephant and the goverment. For example i have read that the pouses of the Ministers and Govermenent people are not invited and attend an Event organized by the wife of the Prime Minister. But not all members of the Order of the Elephant attend. Princess Beneditke has never attended in recent years and Countess Alexandra also doesn't attend since her second marriage. Also the Counts Ingolf and Christian of Rosenborg who bath have the Order don't attend it.

Back
Top Bottom