The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Aristocracy

Tiara-wearing events in Britain are usually 'White Tie events'; the Queen usually hosts or is present at one or two 'semi-private' 'grand' parties [Balls] held each year for important family events; these are sometimes 'White Tie' but also sometimes Black Tie, so theoretically Tiaras are NOT warn, but in practice, the Queen, knowing how much people who have them like wearing tiaras [and how there are nowadays so few occasions when tiaras are worn] gives her permission for tiaras to be worn at such occasions.

Hope this helps

Thanks is does.
If I had one I'd want to wear it as much as possible!!

Old 08-07-2011, 10:29 PM
Aristocracy

The Swedish have at least 4-5 regular tiara events each year:

The British have the Opening of Parliament but I am unaware of other regular/annual occasions that have a tiara dress code.
Likewise for Luxembourg, it seems that currently the Grand Ducal family have at least one tiara event in the last couple of years for their national day celebrations.
The Danish and Norwegian courts both have annual formal events with the New Year's court and Nobel Peace Prize, respectively, but neither are tiara events.

Other than state visits,I know of no other tiara events with the Spanish and Belgian royal families. Even their pre-wedding banquet/galas don't seem to involve tiaras.

Thank you -- I will look out for pictures of these events, just to see the Tiara's!

Old 08-08-2011, 04:44 AM
Royal Highness

I think this is a really interesting topic - perhaps we can keep some kind of informal count going in this thread. Post holidays is a good time to start.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:29 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by shari-aree View Post

Hope this helps

Thanks is does.
If I had one I'd want to wear it as much as possible!!

Possibly you wouldn't!! This is because Tiaras are actually rather heavy and not too comfortable to wear. My family is fortunate enough to have a family tiara -although it is not as ornate as some of the Royal ones - and I do know from personal experience what it was like wearing it [ brides in the UK generally wear a tiara for their 'white weddings']: for the first 15 minutes it feels novel to be wearing it, then after 30 minutes you really become aware of a slight discomfort, after 60 minutes you start thinking, 'Mm, I am not sure about this'. Basically, when worn by a bride at her wedding, an hour-and-a-half to two hours is about the maximum 'slight discomfort' that the can put up with before you end up thinking ' I want to take this heavy thing off!! It's a bit like wearing a bag of sugar on your head after two hours! Plus your hair has to be woven around the velvet band, and it feels a much stronger version of when you have tied your hair up rather tight with those elastic hair fasteners, plus the 'up-do' starts to feel painful in its own right after a couple of hours.......

Pity the poor ladies who have to wear their tiaras all day - this particularly occurs when there is a tiara-wearing event hosted by the Queen in London: there are only two salons whose hairdressers are felt to be very skilled in putting tiaras on: MichaelJohn and Hugh. For this reason, in order to accommodate all the clientele, both salons start to put the tiaras on at about 10.00am in the morning, such is the demand for appointments. On the day of the party back in 1990 hosted by the Queen for the birthdays of the QM [90th], Princess Margaret [60th] The Princess Royal [40th] and Prince Andrew [30th], you could spot various ladies in Mayfair and Chelsea wearing their tiaras with their jeans, intending to change into their ball finery later!! [I think that the more 'grander' you were, the later the appointment you were able to secure (and therefore the more comfortable you were!).

In my very humble opinion there were 4 main reasons why grand white tie balls became less popular and tiara-wearing opportunities diminished: it is generally only the Queen who hosts such parties now - off the top of my head, I can think of no recent white tie ball in the UK hosted by an aristocrat or other wealthy family

1. Cost - hardly anyone can afford to host parties on this scale any more

2. Diminishing number of tiaras - grand families, due to a mixture of taxes and general decline in their fortunes, found they could not afford to keep money 'tied up' in their tiaras and therefore sold - or were forced to sell - them. Once you find the number of tiara-owning guests is dwarfed by the 'have-nots' who either have to hire or turn up bare-headed [perfectly accecptable IMHO] you start to question the wisdom of hosting a white-tie occasion. Incidentally, few aristocratic families have large London houses with ballrooms any more, so the parties of the 19thnd early 20th centuries could never be revived!

3. 'Running costs' - even if you are lucky enough to have a tiara, it has to be kept in the bank and the insurance is alarmingly high...

4. The practical issue of comfort [see above]

Just my thoughts,

Alex
Old 08-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
For the New Years Court in Denmark, I have always seen the royals wearing tiara's.
Thanks, Lumutqueen. I had a nagging feeling in my mind that I had seen them but maybe I am confusing the tiara-wearing at the New Year's ball/court with a reception for parliament members?

The one I was originally thinking of was the one that usually has only the Queen, Prince Consort, and Crown Prince Couple. The women are not wearing tiaras but they are in long gowns/coats (Margrethe II seems to rotate out three - one each in blue, red, and yellow) and Mary had at grey (?) outfit at least one of the years since she married Frederik. Can you clarify what this event is, please? Thanks in advance.

Rascal
Old 08-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

This is New Years reception for the Corps Diplomatique at Amalienborg in Copenhagen. - the no tiara event.

This is tiara event, PPE Agency

The Swedes seem to 'win' as they have the most annual tiara wearing events, you can't really count state vists outbound or inbound as they vary from country to country depending upon the occasions. There are also weddings, special birthdays etc which for most countrys in Europe excluding the UK are tiara events.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Thanks, Lumutqueen. I had a nagging feeling in my mind that I had seen them but maybe I am confusing the tiara-wearing at the New Year's ball/court with a reception for parliament members?

The one I was originally thinking of was the one that usually has only the Queen, Prince Consort, and Crown Prince Couple. The women are not wearing tiaras but they are in long gowns/coats (Margrethe II seems to rotate out three - one each in blue, red, and yellow) and Mary had at grey (?) outfit at least one of the years since she married Frederik. Can you clarify what this event is, please? Thanks in advance.

Rascal
The New Years Courts in in Denmark are 3 Events. The Dinner for members of the Order of the Elephant on 01. January at Amalienborg and the receptions for the diplomatic Corps one and day and for other officials the next day at Christriansborg. But only the first is white tie. At the second and third the Quzeen wears since around 10 years always the same blue gown (before it was the same model in yellow).
There is also a Gala Dinner for the members of Parliament but it's not annual it takes place once between the elections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
There are also weddings, special birthdays etc which for most countrys in Europe excluding the UK are tiara events.
Unfortunately this Events are only white tie in the scandianvian countries. In the Netherlands, Belgium, Spain there are no tiara Events apart from State Visits. The last tiara Event in Belgium was a few years back as there where no incoming State Visits in the last years probably because of the political crisis.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 08-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Courtier

Queen Elizabeth II and the late Princess Diana
Old 08-09-2011, 12:08 PM
Nobility

Thank you's

Thanks, Lumutqueen and Stefan, for further explaining the new year's events in Denmark. Because they all seem to serve the same purpose, I was grouping into one event in my head - hence the confusion on the tiara/non-tiara events.

Perhaps either or both of you could explain something else regarding the white-tie/tiara event. Is this only for Order of the Elephant recipients or are others invited? If so, how are they selected?

Thanks again to both of you. Hope you have a great day.

Rascal
Old 08-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Perhaps either or both of you could explain something else regarding the white-tie/tiara event. Is this only for Order of the Elephant recipients or are others invited? If so, how are they selected?
As far as i know it are only the members of the order of the Elephant and the goverment. For example i have read that the pouses of the Ministers and Govermenent people are not invited and attend an Event organized by the wife of the Prime Minister. But not all members of the Order of the Elephant attend. Princess Beneditke has never attended in recent years and Countess Alexandra also doesn't attend since her second marriage. Also the Counts Ingolf and Christian of Rosenborg who bath have the Order don't attend it.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 05-30-2012, 04:49 AM
Serene Highness

Mixed tiaras from the royal houses

I donīt know where this gallery belongs, so Iīve created a new thread

This gallery consisting of 73 photos of tiaras is from Billed-Bladet:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1008659...eligeDiademer#
Old 08-25-2012, 09:49 PM
Gentry

Beautiful! But ug, could someone please get Daisy a bleaching kit?

Tags
elena, infanta, jewellery, spain, wedding