Favourite Royal Tiaras 2

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I assume that this beautiful piece of history is now back with the Queen? At least I hope so. I would hate to see that one dismantled!

We can only hope it is languishing in the vaults waited to be rescued by Camilla and her ability to wear a substantial tiara.
As I recall, Field stated that upon Queen Alexandra's death her children assembled together (except maybe Maude) and they divided up the pieces. King George V and Queen Mary apparently made certain that the wedding gift pieces (including this tiara and that necklace of the Queen Mum's) and gifts received in an official capacity remained in the British Royal Family; however, the piece hasn't been seen in, what, about 75 to 85 years?

I'm fascinated by the tiara over the heading of "The Royal Forums". Would anybody know anything about this tiara?:flowers:

:previous:
It's a tiara belonging to the Royal Family of Brunei.

As an aside, the TRF block at the top of the page was designed by Jordan/Brunei/UAE/Morocco moderator Humera.​

Well, having spent months marvelling over finding people who are as obsessive about these things as I am, I am now making post number 2. Yayy!

So, I may as well start with MY favourite tiaras (or as I once read that Princess Madge used to pronounce it, terrarahs).

1 - All hail the mighty Poltimore. I once read a description of Pss M on her wedding day as 'her head being alive with diamond fire'. Say no more.

2 - Queen Silv's 9 spike jobbie. Fabulous, and that woman can work rocks like so few royals, alive or dead.

3 - Maxima's stars. Just the right mix of the trad with the glam for a heathen like me.

4 - Princess Margo again, with the persian turquoise. It's no coincidence that Munn gave two double page spreads to her beauties in the bible, and this one is a cracker. Turquoise must be a pain to have in the vault though - hardly versatile I guess.

5 - QEII's Kokoshnik. Loved it on Queen Alex, but it even helps Lilibet look glam, even though the diamond and white look generally can make her look so washed out.

There - for what it's worth....

The tiara, made of steel in an intricate cut and set in gilded brass, is Napoleonic but how exactly it found its way to Sweden and through whom is quite unclear.
This kind of jewelry (it’s actually a whole parure, with matching choker necklace and earrings added later) was popular in the beginning of the 19th century, when it first became possible to cut steel in such a fine way. But when this fashion faded, many of the pieces of its kind were dismantled, so this is really a rather unique piece.
The amazing story about Queen Silvia finding it by chance happens to be true. At one point, the tiara must simply have been mislaid and forgotten – there are no pictures of any Swedish Queen wearing it, which adds to the mystery.
Sometime after her marriage, Queen Silvia simply went through some dusty Stockholm Palace chest of drawers, only to find the cut steel tiara sitting there - fascinating indeed. The tiara was subsequently restored, and Silvia wore it for the first time in 1979.
The central ears of wheat motifs are actually set ‘en tremblant’, meaning they move slightly at every movement of the wearer’s head.
It's my second favorite tiara on CP Victoria, after the Baden fringe – I don’t care much for the fringe design as such, but IMO this is the most beautiful one around, its proportions are simply perfect.
Boris, thank you so much for the information. I tried googling it and got nowhere. I am not sure whether is is the tiara or just the way Victoria wears it but, whatever the reason it has, as you say, perfect proportions. :flowers:

James in London, you are indeed in the right spot. We are jewel obsessed! I have to say, I love your list. It's fantastic! I also adore the Persian Turquoise Tiara--it's beautiful. The most beautiful of all the turquoise tiaras out there. It's amazing! I also like Silvia's nine pronger as well, but admit that I prefer the amethysts. Also, Maxima's bandeau tiara--VAVAVOOM! One last thing--it is so nice to the Stars tiara on a favorites list. I completely adore it--I find it whimsical and charming, dainty and delicate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, of course Maxima's bandeau, that is fabulous, and lets the diamonds speak - although at that size, perhaps they scream.... Mind you, that woman can make the dullest tiara look fabulous.

Which of course leads us onto the fact that some of them are just so transfgormed by the way the wearer doesthem. Prime example, the Boucheron honeycomb. Am I alone in thinking it looked odd on the Queen Mum, especially when her hair was so sparse, it was just out of proportion with her head. Even before though - she was so floaty and chiffon, and then this massive clonker just looked all wrong imho. But on Camilla's helmet do, it's a triumph. I reverse my former opinion. But when are we going to see Cam in the durbar again? As has been oft said, she can work 'hot rocks'...

Yes, of course Maxima's bandeau, that is fabulous, and lets the diamonds speak - although at that size, perhaps they scream.... Mind you, that woman can make the dullest tiara look fabulous.

Which of course leads us onto the fact that some of them are just so transfgormed by the way the wearer doesthem. Prime example, the Boucheron honeycomb. Am I alone in thinking it looked odd on the Queen Mum, especially when her hair was so sparse, it was just out of proportion with her head. Even before though - she was so floaty and chiffon, and then this massive clonker just looked all wrong imho. But on Camilla's helmet do, it's a triumph. I reverse my former opinion. But when are we going to see Cam in the durbar again? As has been oft said, she can work 'hot rocks'...

About the Queen Mum and the honeycomb---YES YES YES!!!!:clap::clap::clap: Finally, someone hits the nail on the head. She should have worn smaller tiaras as her hair got a touch thin. It just didn't look right. Camilla wears it beautifully. I also would love to see the Delhi Durbar again very, very soon. It's a shame to waste such a piece and I grow weary of that honeycomb tiara. I think that Camilla needs to break out the Rundell tiara of Queen Alexandra's. I think she would look amazing in that whole set that was QA's wedding gift from her husband. And, she needs to wear the Grand Duchess Vladimir tiara with the emerald drops and those lovely emerald drop earrings of hers. I would pass out if I saw it, I've been waiting forever.

About the Queen Mum and the honeycomb---YES YES YES!!!!:clap::clap::clap: Finally, someone hits the nail on the head.
She looked better in the Oriental Circlet tiara but unfortunately she wore it not as much as the Honeycomb in the last years.

I also have a big YES for Princess Margaret's turquoise tiara, the whole suite actually is stunning. That tiara is so beautifully proportioned it would be wonderful if you could change stones to emeralds, rubies, tahitian pearls etc etc.... God forbid you can't find a tiara to match your gown!!

This tiara is the most beautiful tiara I've ever seen! ;) Is this tiara belong to the Swedish royal family?

According to the Internet site, this tiara belonged to Queen Marie-Amélie.

No--this particular tiara is not in the Swedish Royal Family--this tiara was part of the French Crown Jewels and I believe it is in the Louve museum now.

This is the Swedish parue of sapphires you may have been thinking of:
IBL Bildbyrå | 0435 44 07 65

Thanks for the enthusiasm on my opinion of the honeycomb on the Queen Mum.... Of course the Oriental circlet is in a league of it's own. It does lead you to think - those Victorians really knew better than we do how to put fabulous jewellery together.

Thanks for the information about Queen Marie-Amelie's beautiful diamond and sapphire tiara, JulieS. I thought it belonged to the Swedish Royal Family because Queen Silva wore the almost same one like this one.

Thanks for letting me know this beautiful Queen Maire-Amelie's tiara is now in the Louve Museum, Jcbcode99. It would be nice to see Queen M-A's jewelry in the museum. ;)

My all time favourite is the ruby tiara of CP Mary of Denmark.It's divine :angel: Both Victoria's tiaras are the worst for me,sorry :rolleyes:

Which ones do you mean by 'both Victoria's tiaras', the button/rosettes tiaras? If so, they're certainly among the worst, I'd say. But so far, CP Victoria has worn a total of six tiaras.
The Danish ruby parure is one my favorites too. Queen Ingrid did a great job in the 1940s when she altered the tiara, using two brooches to augment it and create the wreath shape we see today.
Up until then the original Queen Désirée tiara was in a style which was very popular during the Empire, a wreath shape higher on the sides but low in the center. While a big fashion under Napoleon, it would be somehow less appealing today.

I'm sorry,I should have explained earlier.The two tiaras worn by Victoria that I dislike are at this thread,page 3,post 49 :flowers:
I also wrote that these :previous: are the worst jewels pieces in general at another thread.

My favourite is lalla Salmas wedding Tiara ...i like also Queen Alias one ...wore by Qween Rania & princess Haya .

Queen Noor´s tiaras: diamond tiara and Chaumet tiara. Too the Queen Alia´s tiara is beautiful.

I'm sorry,I should have explained earlier.The two tiaras worn by Victoria that I dislike are at this thread,page 3,post 49 :flowers:
I also wrote that these :previous: are the worst jewels pieces in general at another thread.
So the ones you're talking about are the Baden Fringe tiara and the Napoleonic cut steel tiara. I'm very surprised then...
The Baden Fringe is actually my favorite among the large number of Royal fringe tiaras around, along with Princess Michael of Kent's fringe. This spiked sunray design can appear clumsy, but the proportions of those two fringe tiaras are just perfect, IMHO.
And while not on my all-time-favourite list, I like the cut steel tiara as well.

It's ok,we don't have to agree on everything,Boris :flowers:
The proportions may be perfect,but I still don't like the whole result...sorry ;)

Just for the record: 'The one Madeleine often wears' is Queen Silvia's personally owned tiara, convertible into a necklace.
I'd say it's one of the (few...) really beautiful modern additions to Royal collections.
While popular myth claims that it was a 10th wedding anniversary gift from the King to Queen Silvia, I doubt this. I believe for several reasons that it was more likely a gift to the Queen during the 1981 state visit to Saudi Arabia. Mother and daughter share the piece these days, Princess Madeleine wears it as tiara, Queen Silvia as necklace.
The Norwegian emeralds by the way never belonged to Empress Joséphine, but were originally owned by Empress Amélie of Brazil (born of Leuchtenberg), Joséphine's granddaughter.

The Norwegian emeralds by the way never belonged to Empress Joséphine, but were originally owned by Empress Amélie of Brazil (born of Leuchtenberg), Joséphine's granddaughter.
And anyway it was named after Josephine.. a little weird. ;)

Back
Top Bottom