Favourite Royal Tiaras 2

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My absolut favourit is Queen Maria Cristina's diamond and pearl tiara
too bad Queen mary's similar loop tiara (which she wore 2 or 3 times as Princess of Wales) was either broken up or never worn again.
from Norway:
Desirée diamond tiara and Queen Maud's pearl tiara

from Sweden:
the Leuchtenberg sapphires
the Connaught tiara

from Denmark:
the rubies
the Orange-Nassau pearl tiara

from the UK:
Grand Duchess Vladimir's tiara with pearls
Lovers Knot tiara, the should put the orignal pearl spikes on top again

from the Netherlands:
Württemberg diamond and pearl tiara, unfortunately almost never worn with the pearl spikes on top
Mellerio Sapphire tiara

from Belgium:
the Empire diamond tiara
spanish Wedding gift tiara in all versions

from Luxemburg:
diamond tiara from Grand Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte (worn in her official Wedding photos)

And anyway it was named after Josephine.. a little weird. ;)
But Your Majesty, who named the Norwegian emerald tiara 'Empress Joséphine tiara'?
I guess it was officially done by some poster on some MB who didn't know better... and the incredible world of the internet swiftly proceeded to create its own facts again :whistling:?
But naming of tiaras can be tricky anyway... Royal Houses get it wrong as well. The Bernadotte Family always called the Connaught tiara 'Princess Sibylla's tiara' although it was CP Margaret's originally, and the Braganca tiara was labeled 'Coronation tiara', although it never appeared anywhere near a coronation.
Stefan, your list sums up 'the best' pretty well in my eyes...!
I only would disagree regarding Belgium's Empire tiara, which I don't find that pretty, and especially Queen Mary's loop tiara - if it was broken up, I can perfectly understand it. To me, the photos of it show a tiara totally out of proportion with those silly high loops... but of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ;)

Stefan, your list sums up 'the best' pretty well in my eyes...!
I only would disagree regarding Belgium's Empire tiara, which I don't find that pretty, and especially Queen Mary's loop tiara - if it was broken up, I can perfectly understand it. To me, the photos of it show a tiara totally out of proportion with those silly high loops... but of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ;)

Boris no i didn't mean that the loop was a top favourit only that the desgin is similar to the spanish tiara. But in the spanish tiara it's more balanced and with the pearls look great in and on it.

Oh I see, Stefan! You surprised me a little here but I realize I misunderstood.
The Spanish loop tiara is indeed great, it's wonderful that Queen Sofia has started to wear it.
A pity though that the Spanish collection simply doesn't provide more elaborate necklaces to go with the three (loop, Cartier, Fleur de lys) very grand tiaras.

I also have a big YES for Princess Margaret's turquoise tiara, the whole suite actually is stunning. That tiara is so beautifully proportioned it would be wonderful if you could change stones to emeralds, rubies, tahitian pearls etc etc.... God forbid you can't find a tiara to match your gown!!
Great idea, Rubies! Did you know that HRH Princess Alexandra of Kent's one and only tiara is exceptionally versitile? Here it is with pearls:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=219332&postcount=2

Here it is with turquoise:
Princess Alexandra of Kent, Lady Ogilvy (*1936)
Also, note that the necklace (a gift from her husband, The Honorable Angus Ogilvy) can also be adapted with either the pearls or turquoises. The necklace is a copy of Queen Victoria's diamond jubilee necklace and QEII now wears it.
Tiara with different turquoise necklace that I cannot place in the Kent family at all:
Princess Alexandra of Kent, Lady Ogilvy (*1936)

Additionally, Princess Alexandra's tiara can also be adapted with sapphires--but I don't have a picture of that. Perhaps one of our other poster can share??

The turquoise earrings that Princess Alexandra is wearing is very similar to the turquoise drop earrings that the Duchess of Gloucester owns, with obvious differences. Interesting parallel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damnit - I have seen a pic of the lovely Alex in the sapphies, but cannot for the life of me place it. Isn't it a shame that she got such a paltry jewel bag. I think Saint Marina thought her daughter would have a husband to provide for her (as she did, but not of course to the extent we would like), but still, Kate and M-C have laways been better decked out. Such a shame, as Alexandra was/is so beautiful, and knows how to wear jewels...

Oh, staying on topic - her tiara is fabulous.... if you're going to have just one, I guess that's a pretty safe bet...

Last edited by a moderator:
The diamond 1 tiara belongs now to Princess Sybilla of Luxembourg , born Sybille Weiler.

The Duke of Westminster has in his collection some truly stunning pieces as well, that rival any of the Royal Collections, in my own opinion:
The Faberge gold and diamond cyclamen tiara (which converts to a necklace); this piece is a work of art:
Faberges Gold and diamond Cyclamen Tiara | Duke of Westminster

The Chaumet tiara created with platinum and blue enamel with 280 diamonds set in a flower decoration. It is amazing craftmanship as well.
Chaumet Platin Kokoshnik mit blauem Email | Duke of Westminster

Another, yes, ANOTHER, Faberge tiara, the Myrtle Leaves tiara, last worn by Lady Tamara on her wedding day to one of the Van Cutsem boys:
Faberge Tiara Myrtenkranz | Myrtle-Leaves and berries as a Diadem Duke of Westminster
The Bagration Parue:
Now, this parue is spectacular. Truly. I never tire of seeing it. The parue was purchased by the current Duke as a gift for his fiance, who wore the tiara on her wedding day. The tiara is set with pink spinals and diamonds, and consists of a tiara, hair comb, pendant necklace, pendant earrings.
Bagration Parure - Necklace, Earrings, Comb, Tiara Pink Spinel Diamont Set
Westminster Wedding - Bagration Parure | Hochzeit des Herzogs von Westminster
Westminster Hochzeit - Spinel Diamant Diadem | Hochzeit des Herzogs von Westminster
Bagration Parure - the comp

Oh God!!! This is more than my frail, fragile and weak, decrepit system can endure. I shall I shall not "fall upon the thorns of life" and bleed. Oh no, I shall drool and dance for joy and delight. My favorite trinkets in all the world and on one page of the internet. The Fife, the Bagration (which we have had photoshopped on this forum set with sapphires) and the Desiree Clary parurue. Isn't it just amazing how delightful and delighted one becomes upon looking upon millions upon millions of dollars, pounds, euros or yen in the form of the dazzingly beautiful trinkets presented herein. Thank you, pant, drool, thud, etc. Thank YOU. Chyeers. A demented chocoaddict forum member.

I'm quite taken with the tiara that Princess Marie of Denmark recieved on her wedding day. Very light & pretty. It's such a shame that we will see so little, if anything, of the Diamond Drop Arch tiara that Alexandra recieved. I really feel that this should have been returned to the royal coffers when she remarried.

There is so many to choose from. :D

The Dubar Tiara that Camilla has worn.
CP Mary Wedding Tiara and the Desiree jewels.
The Double Bandeau.
The Fife tiara.

:flowers:

Definitely love Princess Marie's tiara it is so elegant and tasteful also love Maxima's emerald set though I don't know the name. (Sigh) though I know nothing of the people wearing it Faberge was a bloody master beautiful jewels in the Westminister collection so sorry we don't see them more.

I had forgotten about the Westminster tiaras. They just are breathtaking along with parure.

Sometimes I just go over to Christie's or Sotheby's and search tiaras, and wish. There are so many beautiful ones.

attachment.php

would anyone happen to know the name of this tiara? and where it is now (if known)

The tiara that Empress Alexandra is wearing is simply titled the pearl kokoshnik, which was rather famous. A kokoshnik tiara is modeled after peasant headdresses worn in the 18th and 19th century--only married women were permitted to have fully jeweled tiaras; unmarried ladies had to settle for pearl-studded velvet headdresses.

I'm not entirely sure that this tiara survived the Revolution--I'm fairly certain that it did not. Can anyone else confirm/deny?

The tiara of Empress Alexandra was auctioned by the soviet government =(

I'm not entirely sure that this tiara survived the Revolution--I'm fairly certain that it did not. Can anyone else confirm/deny?
I think you are right, it most likely did not survive the revolution.
espejor said:
The tiara of Empress Alexandra was auctioned by the soviet government =(
Do you have a source for this? Contrary to popular belief the Soviets didn't auction that much.

Ooh this is self indulgent!!!!!

My absolutely Number one has to be the glorious medieval crown-like diadem that belonged to Prince Philip's sister the tragic and beautiful Cecilie, Grand Duchess of Hesse and By Rhine. I have been haunted by this divine piece of headwear ever since the first time I beheld it in the photograph on Page 264 of that bible of all tiara worshippers, Geoffrey Munn's wickedly wonderful and wanton 'Tiaras - A History of Splendour' It may seem rather odd that I do not even know what those mouth watering big cabochon gems set between diamonds in this glorious diadem actually are, but I can imagine and speculate at leisure depending on my mood...alluring velvety blue sapphires, luscious vivid green emeralds or perhaps sensuous fiery red rubies.It's amazing just how easily one can conjure up such hues at will!!!! Anyway it is really more than just that particular facet of mystery which draws me to this particular diadem. I think it has something to do with a rather piquant case of crown lust or Tiara Envy on my part! It reminds me so much of an antique crown, rather like something Eleanor of Aquitaine or even the legendary Queen Guinevere may have worn all those centuries ago! This unusual design style and the extraordinary beauty of Cecil Beaton's photograph of Cecilie leaves me thinking about my soul and the devil and what I would and wouldn't do just to have the chance to try that diadem on.....I know it must sound dreadful but there it is, I have come clean....I feel like I have just joined Tiaraholics Anonymous!!!!!

I also like Princess Marie Louise's (Lenchen and Christian S-H's daughter) lovely honeysuckle design diamond tiara which she left to her (jolly lucky to have gotten her hands on it) cousin Lady Patsy Ramsay! It can also be seen in Mr Munn's glorious tome on Pages 144 and 145.

Am quite partial to George IV state diadem too.....no doubt something about the echoes it has to a full blown crown proper!

That's it Connie...calm yourself dear and go and pour yourself a nice calming glass of mineral water!!! I must stop and rest....I find this Tiara talk all a little taxing and I think I am getting the vapours from too much self indulgence all at once!!!!!

Connie, you had me rushing to my Munn "bible" and Cecile's picture and tiara are gorgeous aren't they? It's almost haunting. I would love to see that tiara in a picture by itself. Wonder what happened to this tiara?

The Hesse Medieval style Diadem

I am so pleased someone else likes that diadem, Katrianna! I too sit and sigh and ponder and muse and then sigh again, as to the whereabouts of that divine diadem.

It would be too wonderful if anyone out there knows of any other pictures of it that could be shared with us! I have never seen any and I have never seen any evidence that it came into the possession of Louis and Margaret after the plane crash. Perhaps (perish the thought) it was on the plane, maybe Cecilie took it with her on that fateful trip!

I think I'll go with the Fife tiara, too. But aren't they all lovely? Letizia's Prussian tiara is gorgeous as well!

Back
Top Bottom