The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-08-2008, 03:12 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress View Post
I assume that this beautiful piece of history is now back with the Queen? At least I hope so. I would hate to see that one dismantled!
We can only hope it is languishing in the vaults waited to be rescued by Camilla and her ability to wear a substantial tiara.
As I recall, Field stated that upon Queen Alexandra's death her children assembled together (except maybe Maude) and they divided up the pieces. King George V and Queen Mary apparently made certain that the wedding gift pieces (including this tiara and that necklace of the Queen Mum's) and gifts received in an official capacity remained in the British Royal Family; however, the piece hasn't been seen in, what, about 75 to 85 years?

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 12-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Courtier

These tiaras Fife -- Embrald -- are beautiful !

Old 12-10-2008, 06:30 AM
Commoner

I'm fascinated by the tiara over the heading of "The Royal Forums". Would anybody know anything about this tiara?
Old 12-10-2008, 07:14 AM
Administrator

It's a tiara belonging to the Royal Family of Brunei.

As an aside, the TRF block at the top of the page was designed by Jordan/Brunei/UAE/Morocco moderator Humera.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:29 AM
Commoner

Fantastic! thanks Warren it surely is a wonderful tiara
Old 01-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Aristocracy

Well, having spent months marvelling over finding people who are as obsessive about these things as I am, I am now making post number 2. Yayy!

So, I may as well start with MY favourite tiaras (or as I once read that Princess Madge used to pronounce it, terrarahs).

1 - All hail the mighty Poltimore. I once read a description of Pss M on her wedding day as 'her head being alive with diamond fire'. Say no more.

2 - Queen Silv's 9 spike jobbie. Fabulous, and that woman can work rocks like so few royals, alive or dead.

3 - Maxima's stars. Just the right mix of the trad with the glam for a heathen like me.

4 - Princess Margo again, with the persian turquoise. It's no coincidence that Munn gave two double page spreads to her beauties in the bible, and this one is a cracker. Turquoise must be a pain to have in the vault though - hardly versatile I guess.

5 - QEII's Kokoshnik. Loved it on Queen Alex, but it even helps Lilibet look glam, even though the diamond and white look generally can make her look so washed out.

There - for what it's worth....
Old 01-10-2009, 12:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
The tiara, made of steel in an intricate cut and set in gilded brass, is Napoleonic but how exactly it found its way to Sweden and through whom is quite unclear.
This kind of jewelry (it’s actually a whole parure, with matching choker necklace and earrings added later) was popular in the beginning of the 19th century, when it first became possible to cut steel in such a fine way. But when this fashion faded, many of the pieces of its kind were dismantled, so this is really a rather unique piece.
The amazing story about Queen Silvia finding it by chance happens to be true. At one point, the tiara must simply have been mislaid and forgotten – there are no pictures of any Swedish Queen wearing it, which adds to the mystery.
Sometime after her marriage, Queen Silvia simply went through some dusty Stockholm Palace chest of drawers, only to find the cut steel tiara sitting there - fascinating indeed. The tiara was subsequently restored, and Silvia wore it for the first time in 1979.
The central ears of wheat motifs are actually set ‘en tremblant’, meaning they move slightly at every movement of the wearer’s head.
It's my second favorite tiara on CP Victoria, after the Baden fringe – I don’t care much for the fringe design as such, but IMO this is the most beautiful one around, its proportions are simply perfect.
Boris, thank you so much for the information. I tried googling it and got nowhere. I am not sure whether is is the tiara or just the way Victoria wears it but, whatever the reason it has, as you say, perfect proportions.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:50 AM
Courtier

Beautiful tiara

news.webshots.com/photo/2509019430056005517hqoGzN
Old 01-10-2009, 01:48 AM
Royal Highness

James in London, you are indeed in the right spot. We are jewel obsessed! I have to say, I love your list. It's fantastic! I also adore the Persian Turquoise Tiara--it's beautiful. The most beautiful of all the turquoise tiaras out there. It's amazing! I also like Silvia's nine pronger as well, but admit that I prefer the amethysts. Also, Maxima's bandeau tiara--VAVAVOOM! One last thing--it is so nice to the Stars tiara on a favorites list. I completely adore it--I find it whimsical and charming, dainty and delicate.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 01-10-2009, 05:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post

It's a tiara belonging to the Royal Family of Brunei.

As an aside, the TRF block at the top of the page was designed by Jordan/Brunei/UAE/Morocco moderator Humera.
It's definitely wonderful tiara!
Old 01-10-2009, 06:57 AM
Aristocracy

Yes, of course Maxima's bandeau, that is fabulous, and lets the diamonds speak - although at that size, perhaps they scream.... Mind you, that woman can make the dullest tiara look fabulous.

Which of course leads us onto the fact that some of them are just so transfgormed by the way the wearer doesthem. Prime example, the Boucheron honeycomb. Am I alone in thinking it looked odd on the Queen Mum, especially when her hair was so sparse, it was just out of proportion with her head. Even before though - she was so floaty and chiffon, and then this massive clonker just looked all wrong imho. But on Camilla's helmet do, it's a triumph. I reverse my former opinion. But when are we going to see Cam in the durbar again? As has been oft said, she can work 'hot rocks'...
Old 01-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by James in London View Post
Yes, of course Maxima's bandeau, that is fabulous, and lets the diamonds speak - although at that size, perhaps they scream.... Mind you, that woman can make the dullest tiara look fabulous.

Which of course leads us onto the fact that some of them are just so transfgormed by the way the wearer doesthem. Prime example, the Boucheron honeycomb. Am I alone in thinking it looked odd on the Queen Mum, especially when her hair was so sparse, it was just out of proportion with her head. Even before though - she was so floaty and chiffon, and then this massive clonker just looked all wrong imho. But on Camilla's helmet do, it's a triumph. I reverse my former opinion. But when are we going to see Cam in the durbar again? As has been oft said, she can work 'hot rocks'...
About the Queen Mum and the honeycomb---YES YES YES!!!! Finally, someone hits the nail on the head. She should have worn smaller tiaras as her hair got a touch thin. It just didn't look right. Camilla wears it beautifully. I also would love to see the Delhi Durbar again very, very soon. It's a shame to waste such a piece and I grow weary of that honeycomb tiara. I think that Camilla needs to break out the Rundell tiara of Queen Alexandra's. I think she would look amazing in that whole set that was QA's wedding gift from her husband. And, she needs to wear the Grand Duchess Vladimir tiara with the emerald drops and those lovely emerald drop earrings of hers. I would pass out if I saw it, I've been waiting forever.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
About the Queen Mum and the honeycomb---YES YES YES!!!! Finally, someone hits the nail on the head.
She looked better in the Oriental Circlet tiara but unfortunately she wore it not as much as the Honeycomb in the last years.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 01-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

I also have a big YES for Princess Margaret's turquoise tiara, the whole suite actually is stunning. That tiara is so beautifully proportioned it would be wonderful if you could change stones to emeralds, rubies, tahitian pearls etc etc.... God forbid you can't find a tiara to match your gown!!
Old 01-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieS View Post
Very, very beautiful tiara. It must look wonderful in dark hair...

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Old 01-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieS View Post
This tiara is the most beautiful tiara I've ever seen! Is this tiara belong to the Swedish royal family?
Old 01-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChantalC View Post
This tiara is the most beautiful tiara I've ever seen! Is this tiara belong to the Swedish royal family?
According to the Internet site, this tiara belonged to Queen Marie-Amélie.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Royal Highness

No--this particular tiara is not in the Swedish Royal Family--this tiara was part of the French Crown Jewels and I believe it is in the Louve museum now.

This is the Swedish parue of sapphires you may have been thinking of:
IBL Bildbyrå | 0435 44 07 65

Old 01-10-2009, 03:02 PM
Aristocracy

Thanks for the enthusiasm on my opinion of the honeycomb on the Queen Mum.... Of course the Oriental circlet is in a league of it's own. It does lead you to think - those Victorians really knew better than we do how to put fabulous jewellery together.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Courtier

Thanks for the information about Queen Marie-Amelie's beautiful diamond and sapphire tiara, JulieS. I thought it belonged to the Swedish Royal Family because Queen Silva wore the almost same one like this one.

Thanks for letting me know this beautiful Queen Maire-Amelie's tiara is now in the Louve Museum, Jcbcode99. It would be nice to see Queen M-A's jewelry in the museum.

Tags
jewellery, tiaras