Favourite Royal Tiaras 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a Warren but I found this page and if you look on 3rd lady in picture she is wearing fife tiara. That lasy is HRH Princess Royal, Duchess of Fife (1867-1931) née Princess Louise (Victoria Alexandra Dagmar) of Wales. I hope it helps.
http://lafayette.150m.com/geo00418.html

Well I am not Warren but I have some lovely pictures of HRH Princess Louise, the Princess Royal and Duchess of Fife wearing the Fife Tiara.

fife-000002.jpg

fife-000001.jpg

One Hundred Tiaras - gasp!

BMOlivera said:
Where is the Albert-designed sapphire and diamond tiara these days??
To add to what Felicia has posted...

In 1997 an exhibition called "One Hundred Tiaras" was held by the jewellers Wartski in London. The exhibition, which was several years in the planning, was organised by none other than Geoffrey Munn, and formed the basis of his magnum opus "Tiaras A History of Splendour" which was published in 2001.

Regarding Queen Victoria's sapphire and diamond Gothic tiara worn in the famous Winterhalter portrait, Mr Munn explains: "In this case we owe a huge debt to both the owners and to serendipity. Amongst the hundreds of letters of enquiry during the past two years was one to The Earl of Harewood in the hope that there might be a tiara from his mother, Her Late Royal Highness The Princess Royal. Lady Harewood replied that there was only one and that if I wanted to see how it looked it was plainly visible in the Winterhalter! I believe this is the first time it has been exhibited and its discovery remains one of indelible excitement to us here."

Excerpt from the catalogue "One Hundred Tiaras: An Evolution of Style 1800-1990", Wartski 1997.

Has this tiara been seen worn by anyone since Queen Victoria in public?

Here I go again. I just do not know if my system can stand too much more of this sheer delight. I am so grateful to the very kind Felicia and Mims for finding goodies with the Fife tiara in them. Unfortunately nobody has found a picture of anybody wearing it that is less than twenty or thirty years old. It is such a magnificent thing. I would love to see if worn naturally instead of stuck on the head flat supported by what they called transformations.

In any case a transformation is somebody else's hair plastered on the head of the wearer and lacquered together to act as a kind of concrete base on which one can suppoprt this outrageously expensive and decadent toy worth millions. You then sort of pin it onto the solidified and hairy goo and take it from there. Lovely. In the case of the Fife, I do wish the jeweler had created a complete parure instead of just one piece. But these Brits, they just have no taste. Or perhaps they ran out of money. Cheers. Thomas Parkman

Last edited by a moderator:
here are more of beautiful tiaras:
archduchessizabelsperidot.jpg

archduchess Izabel's peridot diadem
EmpressEugnenieEmeraldtiara.jpg

Empress Eugenie emereald tiara
wurtembergdiadempicture.jpg

Wurtemberg diamond diadem
Hessspikeddiamondtiara.jpg

Hess spiked diamond tiara
GrandduchessHildaofBadentiara.jpg

Grand duchess Hilda of Baden tiara
NapoleonicAmethystTiara.jpg

Napoleonic amethyst tiara

pictures from: liljones webpage and from gettyimages

thank you mims, I never saw that emerald tiara of Empress Eugenie before, it is very nice and simple. I always thought she owned the angouleme emerald tiara as well (which is beautiful as well).
Isabels Peridots are just to fabulous for words. However I am sure the Archduchess would have thrown them into one of her austrian lakes if she knew that Joan Rivers would wear her beautiful jewels (we should sue the jeweller who loaned it to mrs Rivers for vandalism IMO).

Isabel's Peridot tiaras: (I love it too, tiaras with coloured stones are more interesting)
peridottiara.jpg

peridottiara2.jpg

pictures from: liljones webpage

Thomas Parkman said:
Here I go again. I just do not know if my system can stand too much more of this sheer delight. I am so grateful to the very kind Felicia and Mims for finding goodies with the Fife tiara in them. Unfortunately nobody has found a picture of anybody wearing it that is less than twenty or thirty years old. It is such a magnificent thing. I would love to see if worn naturally instead of stuck on the head flat supported by what they called transformations.

In any case a transformation is somebody else's hair plastered on the head of the wearer and lacquered together to act as a kind of concrete base on which one can suppoprt this outrageously expensive and decadent toy worth millions. You then sort of pin it onto the solidified and hairy goo and take it from there. Lovely. In the case of the Fife, I do wish the jeweler had created a complete parure instead of just one piece. But these Brits, they just have no taste. Or perhaps they ran out of money. Cheers. Thomas Parkman

Message to Thomas Parkman:

In the second photo I posted of Louise, the Princess Royal, I am quite sure she is young and under the age of 30. She is also (I am nearly totally sure) not wearing a wig or a transformation, etc. That is her own hair, in the style of the day. Obviously not the fashion now. And I do have a couple of photos of the current Duchess of Fife or Countess of Macduff wearing the tiara at her wedding, but since I don't know who the photographer is, I am not allowed to post them.

Also, as it is made out of just diamonds it would have been uneccesary and too expensive to make a whole parure. Any diamond necklaces, rings would go with it. And Louise can be seen wearing much other diamond jewelry with it.

Last edited:
Favorite Tiaras

This is my very first post, so I'm going to TRY to link you over to photos of my favorite tiaras.

The first, is the Oriental Circlet--I just love it. I saw it on a site a couple weeks ago and cannot get it out of my mind. It's just so delicate and stunning at the same time.
http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/egallery/object.asp?category=BEGEMS+AND+JEWELS&object=9200001&row=37

And, since most of you posted all of the beautiful diamond tiaras (who doesn't love a diamond tiara???), I am now going to post a link that takes you to where you can see the BEAUTIFUL diamond and sapphire tiara which was designed by Prince Albert for his Queen. She wore it as a tiara and also around her hair bun. I love this tiara. Queen Victoria had some lovely jewels--but later in life she refused to wear so many of them--she thought that it was a vulgar display of wealth that would anger her subjects. But, I just think this is sweet tiara.

http://www.vam.ac.uk/vastatic/microsites/tiaras/exhibition.html

By the way, I just love this site. Finally, I'm surrounded by lovers of royal gems as well! Most people think I'm crazy when they hear how much I love talking about the jewels in the royal vaults. I DO wish QEII would jazz it up a little and wear some new pieces!!
Janet

I love the Oriental Circlet. I would love it even more if the opals were put back in.

kimebear said:
I love the Oriental Circlet. I would love it even more if the opals were put back in.

Does anyone know the colour of the original opals? Black opals would be stunning.:cool:

Jazzing it up

Oh dear me, yes, I want the Queen to jazz it up with new pieces--new being pieces I've not yet seen from those vast vaults she has. There are so many beautiful pieces--I would especially love to see Queen Mary's Rose and Crescent Tiara worn again, and some of those "Ladies of...." tiaras need to make a comeback as well! I was pleased to see Camilla, the Princess of Wales, wearing such lovely pieces recently. The Honeycomb piece is impressive, it is true, but I am in the minority in that I preferred the Deli Durbar tiara on her.However, had Camilla worn the five row necklace which the Queen Mother wore with it in this picture http://www.royal-magazin.de/qmum.htm it could have changed my opinion very quickly. But, either way, she looked very regal-I always knew she would.

Here is a link to another tiara I just love--its the Palffy Tiara, and it is IMPRESSIVE.
http://www.royal-magazin.de/austria/palffy-tiara.htm

And, this one is a Faberge piece, and while not a total fan of the style, I have to applaud the exquisite workmanship in this piece. Anything which Mr. Faberge did was just truly a work of art, and his tiaras are quite rare-- I did a search and only found four. This one has 280 brilliant cut diamonds.
http://www.royal-magazin.de/england/westminster/chaumet-email-diadem.htm

Incidentally, someone posted about the Oriental Circlet having had opals and wondering if they were black. I have no idea, but black opals are very, very rare, so I think that even if Alexandra were superstitious about opals, that had they been black, we would have seen them reset. But I do agree--black opals on that circlet would have been impressive--but I do prefer the rubies!
Janet

I've always wondered why was Queen Alexandra superstitious about opals? What made her think that the Oriental Circlet had to be reset with rubies?
Prince Albert the Prince Consort loved Opals.

I don't dislike the rubies in the Oriental Circlet. It's just that they are too much on the small side to be impressive (not to say I wouldn't take them if offered:wub: ). An unusual stone like an opal or even turquoise would really stand out with that particular tiara.

Oh, God, I have become an addict. this place is almost as good as chocolat. I am grateful to JBC for locating the incredible picture of the QM Elizabeth wearing all five of the chains of diamonds in that incredible necklace. It seems that George VI was leery of all those diamonds and the only time I have ever heard of her wearing all five ropes of them was at a reception or some other for Charles de Gaulle in 1961 or thereabouts. Of course that would have put him in his place, and if anybody ever needed it C de G was the man.

Definately of the Queen Mary School, if you got it flaunt it. It is a stunning piece. And with those ruby and diamond earings and the tiara simply overwhelming.

Of course I must thank the noble Felicia for her comments about the Fife tiara. I was not very clear in my missive. it seems that I am seldom very clear, I babble a lot and those who know me simply shrug their shoulders and go about their business muttering 'there, he is at it again", those who do not know me call the little me in white suits. I meant to say I wish there had been a picture of somebody wearing the Fife tiara that had been made in the past twenty or thirty years. Of course Princess Louise was a sweet young thing, how could the poor thing be otherwise with the set of relatives she had, beginning with dear Papa and all the way down. "the Good Lord gave us our relatives, we can choose our friends certainly does apply here."

Of course I am not at all happy about the fact that the Noble Felicia has all these goodies, ie more current pictures of the Fife tiara which she cannot publish due to the blasted copywright considerations. What do those idiots think we are going to do, print them off and sell them on the steet. Cook them up into a stew and have them for dinner? I suppose they do object, being money grubbing puritans, to all the drooling and waxing green with envy that we do around here. I wax acidulous. H*** and Blast and D*** on all the copywright party poopers say it.

The rest of the jewels are toothsome indeed. You good people should continue the good and noble work. It keeps me off of the streets and out of mischief (some) and greatly improves my disposition and outlook. Cheers. Thomas Parkman

Last edited:
Oh yes, by "new" I really do mean her old pieces which no one has seen for years. I know how much I would love to see Queen Mary's Rose and Crescent tiara. I know it would be stunning on the right head!

I also love this Danish tiara from the House of Baden, this site also has bunces of tiaras (all of which I think we've commented on at some point or another!) http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://thumb17.webshots.com/s/thumb4/3/0/16/84530016VmhsNb_th.jpg&imgrefurl=http://community.webshots.com/album/84251320lGtbtF&h=61&w=100&sz=2&hl=en&start=72&tbnid=wAk1lzRKHn7cqM:&tbnh=50&tbnw=82&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddiamond%2Btiaras%26start%3D60%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26rls%3DGGLG,GGLG:2006-29,GGLG:en%26sa%3DN

Sorry the address is so long. Can someone explain the picture post rules to me?

Also, I know nothing about this tiara, can't place it or identify it, I think its Russian, and the pic is in black and white, but isn't it beautiful????
http://www.geocities.com/~tfboettger/lr/16.htm AND

this one: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://thumb17.webshots.com/t/62/62/1/1/92/542610192ITfVFD_th.jpg&imgrefurl=http://community.webshots.com/user/viola324&h=63&w=100&sz=3&hl=en&start=58&tbnid=FlGdM3hMY16TcM:&tbnh=52&tbnw=82&prev=/images%3Fq%3Droyal%2Btiaras%26start%3D40%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26rls%3DGGLG,GGLG:2006-29,GGLG:en%26sa%3DN another stunner. It's the roseberry tiara and its french. This site has some beautiful tiaras on it. It says its a new site--

Janet

Totally Addicted

Thomas, I too am totally addicted! I've always loved the royal jewels--and I remember when Charles and Diana came to the USA on one of their visits--Life ran a story about her jewels and I had to have it--here I was, just a little girl, and I knew all about those gems. I still have the magazine, too. So, it is nice to find a place where I can come and share my addiction with others--and seriously, aren't there worse things to be addicted to????

And, I can't remember who posted it, but those rubies are a touch small (but compared to the Burmese tiara....), and I would like to have seen the opals on the oriental too. There aren't many opal tiaras out there, huh?

And, Thomas, you're quite welcome--the Queen Mother really knew how to wear jewels, didn't she?

Janet

Copyright law and picture posting

jcbcode99 said:
Sorry the address is so long. Can someone explain the picture post rules to me? Janet
The picture posting rules are explained in detail in the Posting Rules and Guidelines.

Copyright law regarding posting pictures on the internet is currently a very sensitive issue. The Picture Agencies own the rights to the pictures we post and therefore are in a position to determine how they are used. As the Agencies have the law on their side, we must comply.

Warren
Royal Jewels moderator

And Warren, as usual you are right. However, I cannot resist quoting the Bard in one of the most famous and accurate lines in all of literature,ie: "the law is a ass". so I suppose we must growl and obey and be deprived of all those lovely goodies that we will neve see otherwise. Now how that makes any sense is beyond me, but then where money and the law are concerned has anything ever made any sense? cheers.

jcbcode99, I love the Greek Laurel Reef of HRH Princess Georg of Greece & Denmark's tiara on that page, did you see that huge diamond drop in the middle? Now that's what Mathilde of Belguim should have!:flowers: Beautiful tiara!

It really is truly impressive! I love that style, its just so "goddess-y" for lack of a better term. Isn't that a fantastic site? I also love the Grand Duchess Vladimir's tiara http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://thumb17.webshots.com/t/62/62/1/1/92/542610192ITfVFD_th.jpg&imgrefurl=http://community.webshots.com/user/viola324&h=63&w=100&sz=3&hl=en&start=58&tbnid=FlGdM3hMY16TcM:&tbnh=52&tbnw=82&prev=/images%3Fq%3Droyal%2Btiaras%26start%3D40%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26rls%3DGGLG,GGLG:2006-29,GGLG:en%26sa%3DN .
THere is another tiara, on http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://thumb17.webshots.com/t/62/62/1/1/92/542610192ITfVFD_th.jpg&imgrefurl=http://community.webshots.com/user/viola324&h=63&w=100&sz=3&hl=en&start=58&tbnid=FlGdM3hMY16TcM:&tbnh=52&tbnw=82&prev=/images%3Fq%3Droyal%2Btiaras%26start%3D40%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26rls%3DGGLG,GGLG:2006-29,GGLG:en%26sa%3DN that looks so familiar--perhaps one of you could identify it for me? It is the second tiara on the second page. All it says is "Diamond Tiara 2". It looks kinda like a cross between the Durber and Poltimore--but perhaps someone with a bit more knowledge can help me out with the identification?
Night--
Janet

I cannot believe how totally addicted I am. If you all weren't addicted also, I would feel silly--but I found a lovely, lovely site while searching for a history on the tiara I asked about (can't find, but found this )

Now, I am certain that you have all seen this before, but please indulge the newbie while I gush!
I think that the Russian Garland tiara is truly beautiful--I think it is a classic. The Coral Tiara scares me (sorry, but its true), the Pendant drop tiara is stunning, the double bandeau is really, really, really something I would love to have -- very 20's. Not necessarily a tiara, but hey, if there are diamonds......it's about the same era as the Strathmore, isn't it? Both are lovely, but a little dated. But, this could make a comeback. But, I would never suggest breaking them up and using the diamonds elsewhere (I hate to see history destroyed!),
OK--you have indulged me enough for the evening---
Janet

Last edited by a moderator:
jcbcode99 said:
There is another tiara, on page 2 that looks so familiar. It is the second tiara on the second page. All it says is "Diamond Tiara 2".
Page 2, 2nd pic top line belonged to Princess Paul of Yugoslavia, neé Princess Olga of Greece and Denmark, a sister of Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent.
The tiara was made by Boucheron and is today owned by one of Olga's children.

Last edited:
jcbcode99, yes that is a very beautiful tiara too, I also love the Scrollwork Tiara and the Pearl and Diamond taira 2. And on page 5 the Bodice-front brooch and earrings 4 are stunning!:ROFLMAO:

Well, dear members, this thread just keeps rolling and rolling along. Roll on thou Mighty Ocean, say I!!!!! I suppose that between this and the worst tiaras thread we will probably end up with a large part of the real estate of India, Africa, Brazil, Colombia, Burma, Shri Lanka and Kashmir, not to mention some islands in the Persian Gulf, pictured in much improved versions on these pages. That is unless the blased copywright grinches insist on ruining our little opium den sessions.

Make no mistake about it this is addictive, positively addictive but I cannot think of anything other than chocolat and Mozart, apart of course from chess and walking, that would bring better happiness to the world. All those poor fools in the Middle East and elsewhere wanting to go around and blow up people should just get themselves a cup or glass of good tea, draw a deep breath and sit down and look throught the pages of the Royal Forum.

So dear JCBCode99, do not be ashamed of your addiction. You have come to the right place. We all love and adore all the goodies you are dredging up, not to mention your good self, and then there is the noble Warren to put up with your gentle insanity. Believe me, if that good man can put up with mine, he can put up with anybody's.

I would however now mention but one of my many obsessions. Could you, Oh most noble Code99 see if you could find out anything on the Wave tiara made by Boucheron in the early part of the 20th century. It is cited once in the Bible and appears to have disappeared. I can only hope it has not been destroyed. But I fear the worst. Cheers. Thomas Parkman

Last edited:
the most beautifull tiara for me is Poltimore Tiara the wedding tiara of the late princess Margareth of Great Britain

Dear Johny

I agree with you that the Poltimore Tiara is a marvelous goodie. Unfortunately under the guise of paying death duties Princess Margaret's son the Viscount Linsley (or however you spell his title) sold off far more of Mama's goodies than he really needed to. It seems he has a reputation for being overly fond of money and has little attachment to such things as family tradition etc. Of course he would argue that the good viscountess really has little if any occasion to wear such a fabulous jewel.

In any case the marvelous contraption has now diasppeared into private hands somewhere in Asia and will prbably never be seen again. Have you looked by chance at the splendid Princess Mary of Denmark, bedecked in the Desiree Clary ruby parure by chance. Or seen the Duchess of Westminster's spinel parure, which in its design but not choice of stones is one of the most subline such contratpions in existence. Just a couple of suggestions to continue to make your life interesting. Cheers. Thomas Parkman

The Wave!

Thomas,
I am thrilled by your love of the tiara and flattered by your faith in my abiliites, but as yet I have not uncovered any new information about the Wave tiara--it is a beauty, and I hate the idea of it being broken up. However, while searching for information about Boucheron's tiaras, I did find this little number and thought it very delicate:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.shharris.co.uk/jewellery/antique/tiara.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.shharris.co.uk/antiquecoll/tiara.html&h=316&w=500&sz=32&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=LEIRwc18IpXRSM:&tbnh=80&tbnw=127&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dboucheron%2Btiara%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26rls%3DGGLR,GGLR:2006-03,GGLR:en

and there is also a very attractive 37 carat diamond necklace as well on the shharris website.
I also found this little article regarding great jewelry in the world--stones, metals, styles--I was hooked. Nice reading--no pictures (I suddenly feel 7 again) but worth the read.
http://www.brazwriter.com/jewelry.html

But, sadly, I am still looking for the elusive wave tiara! I am certain that with all of us dedicated tiara sniffers, we are certain to find a clue to set us upon the proper path!

Also, I too love the Poltimore and was aghast when it was sold AT AUCTION no less. Honestly, their MOTHER wore it. I am sentimental about embroidered gloves that my grandmother used when she received callers, I imagine I would feel strongly about a tiara she wore when she married. Surely her death duties were not that astronomical--but they sold some lovely items, did they not?
Good Night All,
Janet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom