The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Courtier

my favourites:
Princess Mary's Floral Ruby Tiara (Crobis)

Princess Máxima's Star Diamond Tiara (Fotomarktplatz)

This one of Queen Elizabeth II looks stunning too! :) (Fotomarktplatz)

Old 05-10-2006, 09:45 PM
Courtier

Dear Members:

Two things which nobody has mentioned but have always aroused my curiosity. In the bible, Geoffrey Munn presents a wonderful tiara of Italian origin made as if it were a wreathe of roses, all of gold with leaves of gold and the roses themselves made of sheet gold, which looks different and set with various precious and semiprecious stones. I wonder if anyone knows anything of it?

My second question is about a tiara he mentions called the wave tiara which was modeled on the idea of a famous Japanese artist's rendering of waves and is a masterpiece of the jewelers art, according to Munn. It has supposedly disappeared and may have even been broken up. I wonder if anybody has any information on that as well. A couple of historical who done its indeed. Pictures and or info would be gratefully appreciated. Cheers. Thomas Parkman

Old 05-11-2006, 04:50 AM
Administrator

Thomas, Mr Munn's Bible is a massive tome. Give us chapter and verse (failing that, the page numbers will suffice) to make these pieces easier to locate.
There may be a pic in it for you. :)
Old 05-11-2006, 09:05 AM
Serene Highness

Without a doubt, the laurel leaf crown worn by the CPss of Belgium. It's absolutely beautiful simplicity.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:03 PM
Courtier

Dear Warren,

You are most patient and kind. But some idiot stole the copy of the Goffey Munn's book on tiaras from my county library. And it is not cheap. But still a masterpiece I have been debating about buying the thing for months and months. I will see if I can find the citations. I would tell you that I want to take the culprit and hang him, her or it by the toes over a pot of boiling sulphur. They also regulary steal the copies of Majesty and Royalty magazines. So much of the time I am not amused. But we will see. Cheers.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:45 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman
Dear Members:

Two things which nobody has mentioned but have always aroused my curiosity. In the bible, Geoffrey Munn presents a wonderful tiara of Italian origin made as if it were a wreathe of roses, all of gold with leaves of gold and the roses themselves made of sheet gold, which looks different and set with various precious and semiprecious stones. I wonder if anyone knows anything of it?

My second question is about a tiara he mentions called the wave tiara which was modeled on the idea of a famous Japanese artist's rendering of waves and is a masterpiece of the jewelers art, according to Munn. It has supposedly disappeared and may have even been broken up. I wonder if anybody has any information on that as well. A couple of historical who done its indeed. Pictures and or info would be gratefully appreciated. Cheers. Thomas Parkman
In the Book "Tiaras: A History of Splendour" by Geoffrey C. Munn:

- On page 23 (chapter 1) think there is a tiara that fits your first description. The tiara contains multiple roses made from sheet gold and according to the description on page 9, "the flower heads are set with turquoise, emeralds, pink topas, amethysts and pearls." It is written that the tiara was likely made in 1815 for Theresa, Queen of Bavaria, who was married to King Ludwig 1. In addition, it says that the stones stand for "love, hope, passion and devotion", and the pearl and rose are both "sacred to Venus". It is now part of a private collection.

- I believe the second tiara you referred to is described in chapter 9 on page 354. The tiara contains multiple waves set in diamonds and was made by Coulot for Boucheron in May 1910 (whereabouts unknown). The book notes that this design was "probably inspired by Hokusai's 'wave" and it is considered a masterpiece. There is a pic in the book.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:00 AM
Administrator

For Thomas, 1

Courtesy Geoffrey Munn "Tiaras A History of Splendour"

Boucheron Wave Tiara, c1910

Old 05-12-2006, 04:03 AM
Administrator

For Thomas, 2

Courtesy Geoffrey Munn "Tiaras A History of Splendour"

Queen Theresa of Bavaria Tiara, c1815

Old 05-12-2006, 04:07 PM
Courtier

Oh, mY God, this is my afternoon to be stunned. That Boucheron Wave tiara is simply breath taking. It has now probably been destroyed, which is an artistic tragedy. The picture in the bible did not convey nearly as effectively as this the artistic power of this masterpiece. It is a supreme example of the jeweler's art. The rose tiara is wonderful except that I think all those turquoises detract from it. I wish they had used another stone. All pink topaz, pink sapphires or even rubies for instance. What about pink diamonds??? But the design and idea are wonderful. The texture and colours of the two types of gold used is nothing short of striking. Thank you so much. Thomas Parkman
Old 05-15-2006, 02:52 PM
Courtier

Question Why so many pearls ?

Ther is somthing i don´t get....why is ther always so pearls on so many royal tiaras ? If i was going to design a new tiara i woud juse alot of small and big diamants in it...ofcurse ther woud be a huge diamant in the front/middel of the tiara.:p

Old 05-18-2006, 07:27 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.M. Margrethe
Ther is somthing i don´t get....why is ther always so pearls on so many royal tiaras ? If i was going to design a new tiara i woud juse alot of small and big diamants in it...ofcurse ther woud be a huge diamant in the front/middel of the tiara.:p
I think when you've got to pay for all those diamonds (especially that "huge" one in the middle), then you'll find (probably to your shock and horror ) that unless you throw in a few pearls, you might not be able to afford something we could see jutting out above your hair...
Old 05-19-2006, 02:12 PM
Courtier

Does anybody have a better picture of this tiara? Maybe Warren? You always have good close up pictures. I love this tiara, it looks like leafs to maybe ivy. Does anyone know the history on it?

http://img196.imageshack.us/my.php?image=47ue.jpg
Old 05-20-2006, 04:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy
Does anybody have a better picture of this tiara?
I think you'll be lucky to get a better pic than the one you already have.
It's always frustrating when a public event is covered by dozens of photographers, but with nary a decent tiara pic to show for the thousands of snaps.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:38 PM
Courtier

Dear Members,

This thread is a breath of fresh air. The worst royal jewels brings out, well, the worst, -not to mention spleen-this the best. Could someone who is able to do these things-I am a computer mongoloid-kindly locate and post for the delectation of the membership the Cartier Indian tiara, which is to be found in a picture on the head of the late Princess Louise, a granddaughter of Queen Victoria. A most interesting contraption. Loaded with pearls and diamonds and just a hint of sapphires. Most interesting. I wonder what the members would think of it.

The other I would like to see is the Westminster spinel tiara that was originally owned by Princess Catherine something or other of Russia. it is a fabulous design set with spinels, a stone of which I am ambivalent. I have often wondered how the thing would look set in sapphires. A most interesting idea. And the design of the comb, of all things that went with it would make an interesting tiara as well. Cheers. Thomas Parkman
Old 05-26-2006, 08:20 PM
Commoner

At the risk of diverting Mr. Parkman's attentions from this forum, may I recommend that you explore the outstanding German site for Royalty Magazine, a maze of diversions that will keep one occupied for hours. I daresay you'll find the tiaras you mentioned, and many more. Moreover, English translations frequently follow the German. http://www.royal-magazin.de/
Old 05-26-2006, 11:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

There's also this site:

http://www.mag-nolia.tmfweb.nl/Europe%20mainpage.htm

although I don't know how long it's likely to be around since it's full of copyrighted photos.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:37 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman
Oh, mY God, this is my afternoon to be stunned. That Boucheron Wave tiara is simply breath taking. It has now probably been destroyed, which is an artistic tragedy.
My god, what monster would destroy such a masterpiece???? Makes me so mad!

Just STUNNING, Warren, both those tiaras, can't get my head around it, have never seen such a thing! Can't fathom that one of them doesn't exist anymore, such an exquisite piece, there's no equivalent anywhere else in the world! For shame, whoever destroyed it, For Shame!
Old 05-27-2006, 01:40 AM
Aristocracy

Oh please don't tell me the wave tiara has been destroyed, do we know that for sure? If it is still around do we know who owns it? I have not read Munn's book yet (I know, shame on me! But, I have asked for it for our anniversary) and this is the first time I have seen this gorgeous piece. I wish these pieces of art could be in some way protected from dismantling but as they are often private property I suppose that's impossible. Sigh.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:54 AM
Courtier

It is indeed a unique looking piece but not very attractive I think.

Personally, I would have no problem with melting it down and producing a piece that is far more attractive, but that's just me!

"MII"
Old 05-27-2006, 01:44 PM
Aristocracy

Well I must agree that just because a jewel is beautiful or fascinating that doesn't mean it's necessarily very wearable. I would love to just look at the wave tiara but is a tiara really a tiara if it is not worn? Sort of like the old tree falling in the woods!
I need more coffee:p

Tags
jewellery, tiaras