Favourite Royal Tiaras 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Warren said:
Cartier Essex Tiara
Warren,
Is it also commonly known as the Romanian Kokoshnik tiara?
You can add this amazing piece of finery to "my" Imperial treasury anyday!

"MII"

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the only kokoshnik the Roumanian RF owned was the one with the emeralds, which was later given to Queen Marie's youngest daughter, Archduchess Ileana.

Marengo said:
I think the only kokoshnik the Roumanian RF owned was the one with the emeralds, which was later given to Queen Marie's youngest daughter, Archduchess Ileana.
And here is Princess/Archduchess Ileana wearing the tiara (later sold) ...
Pic: first published over 70 years ago; copyright has expired.

Romanian Kokoshnik Diamond & Emerald Tiara
Archduchess Ileana of Austria, Princess of Tuscany (neé Princess of Romania)

2975aebb.jpg

Thanks Warren, it is such an amazing tiara!! Did Queen Marie buy it from her sister Ducky or was the Yougoslav one (the emerald kokoshnik of Queen Marie of Y, daughter of Queen Marie of R) the one they bought from the Grand Duchess? I remember a story that Queen Marie of Y had a hard time giving the tiara up & give it to her daughter-in-law & she locked the thing up in a safe of a London bank. I cannot remember the full anecdote though (can anybody else?).

Warren said:
The Fife Tiara
This is really my favourite Tiara. Can somebody tell me the story of the tiara? Incredible :)

rop81 said:
Is this the one that you mean? It must be a photoshop job, cause the swedish rf don´t own such a tiara.
and we would not see any of the royal ladies with a tiara and not in gala

Marengo said:
Did Queen Marie buy it from her sister Ducky or was the Yougoslav one (the emerald kokoshnik of Queen Marie of Y, daughter of Queen Marie of R) the one they bought from the Grand Duchess? .
Can't answer the question, here's a tiara pic instead...
NB the original emeralds have been removed from the tiara.
Pic courtesy Geoffrey Munn: Tiaras A History of Splendour

Queen Marie of Yugoslavia's Kokoshnik Diamond & Emerald Tiara

932bb1f6.jpg

nayralorenzo said:
This is really my favourite Tiara. Can somebody tell me the story of the tiara? Incredible :)
Quoting from Geoffrey Munn's book "Tiaras A History of Splendour":

The Fife Tiara
Originally worn by Princess Louise of Wales, later Princess Royal, daughter of King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra.

"... a valuable tiara of brilliant, rose-cut and large pear-shaped diamonds. It may well have been a gift from her father and mother when she married the sixth Earl and 1st Duke of Fife at Buckingham Palace in 1889.
The tiara is mounted in gold and set in silver. The pendant pear-shaped diamonds are articulated and move at the slightest touch. It is believed to be an Oscar Masim creation (Masim was a Parisian jeweller who was famous in his own time for the lightness of his settings) and ordered by Edward VII as a result of one of his excursions to Paris."

Yes to Post #161. That is the photo I saw. The base looks remarkably like the Fife tiara. I suppose it could be a photoshop doctored photo, but I really think that maybe the same designer (Masim) created this one. It would be a real shame to dismantle such a beautiful and historic treasure. I had read Munn's book on Tiaras (gosh I love to look at beautiful things), but am wondering if maybe it needs updated. Serious jewelry have often traveled more than we really know or hear about.

I love sapphires and that is a beutiful tiara. Prince Albert sure designed a lot of magnificant tiaras. Is it still in the British Royal Family. I would love for someone to wear it again. It is really lovely.

ysbel said:
There are so many lovely tiaras; I don't have a favorite but I just found one really nice one with a unique history.This is the Diamond and Sapphire tiara that Prince Albert designed for his wife Queen Victoria.
That is beautiful, does anyone know when it was last worn?

Amy said:
That is beautiful, does anyone know when it was last worn?

I'm pretty sure it was last worn by Her Royal Highness the Princess Mary, Princess Royal.

"MII"

Yes, this tiara is still with the Earl of Harewood.
It was thought to have disappeared (ie been sold privately) because it had not been sighted for a very long time. In 1995-96 the London jewellers Wartski were planning a grand exhibition "One Hundred Tiaras" for 1997. The organiser of this exhibition was none other than Geoffery Munn and hundreds of letters were sent off, including one to the Earl of Harewood in the hope that there might be a tiara from his mother, the late Princess Royal.

He writes in the catalogue: "Lady Harewood replied that there was only one and if I wanted to see how it looked it was plainly visible in the Winterhalter! I believe this is the first time it has been exhibited and its discovery remains one of indelible excitement to us here [at Wartski]" Not only a long-lost tiara was rediscovered, but one formerly belonging to Queen Victoria!

The Wartski Exhibition formed the basis of Munn's magnum opus "Tiaras A History of Splendour".

Last edited:
Its a shame how such magnificant tiaras are lost through the generations and dont return to the crown. They are usually sold or fall into disrepair. It is said, I think most jewels, especially ones as magnificant as that, should revert back to the crown.

Princejonnhy25 said:
Its a shame how such magnificant tiaras are lost through the generations and dont return to the crown. They are usually sold or fall into disrepair. It is said, I think most jewels, especially ones as magnificant as that, should revert back to the crown.

The British Crown has a vast collection of jewels and doesn't need to worry about reclaiming various pieces which were left to members of the royal family and passed down.

Any piece associated with the Crown is always offered to the Sovereign first before a sale. The Queen has always declined to purchase the items and is quoted as saying her branch of the family has too many jewels that are never worn!

The only exception to this generally followed protocol was Diana's Lover's Knot tiara and the Cambridge art deco emerald choker. These items were bequests to the Queen from Queen Mary's personal collection and were returned to her after the death of the Princess. My prediction is they will be seen again on William's future wife.

Empress is referring to the tiaras in Reynard's posts 85 and 86. He hasn't been around for a few days; can anyone else help out with identifying them?

Elspeth said:
Empress is referring to the tiaras in Reynard's posts 85 and 86. He hasn't been around for a few days; can anyone else help out with identifying them?
Empress, the homework has been done. :)

Post 85
Duchesse d'Angouleme Emerald Tiara
Duke of Westminster Bagration Diamond & Spinel Tiara
Bavaria Ruby Diadem
Belgium, Queen Elisabeth Cartier Tiara (I have seen this tiara up close. Photos don't do it justice. Truly glittering!) Bought back by Cartier for their exhibition.
Spain, Countess of Barcelona Tiara
Monaco, Princess Charlotte's (Cartier?) Tiara
Empress Marie Louise Bridal Crown
Empress Eugenie Tiara (then to the the Thurn und Taxis family; now in the Louvre)
France, Queen Amelie's Sapphire Parure (sold by the Comte de Paris, now in the Louvre)
Duchess of York Wedding Tiara

Post 86
Bonaparte, Queen Hotense Tiara
Marlborough Tiara
Empress Marie Louise Diamond & Emerald Tiara
Greece, Queen Sophie Diamond Tiara
Rosse Emerald Tiara (UK)
Sweden, Leuchtenberg Sapphire Tiara (Queen Josephine)
Russia, a Sapphire Tiara
Thurn und Taxis Diamond Tiara
Queen Sonja, Empress Josephine Diamond Tiara

pdas1201 said:
My favorite tiaras would have to be the following:

1) Londonderry Tiara

2) Westminister Tiara

3) Queen Alia's Cartier Tiara

4) Art Nouveau Tiara by Cartier: 1902, platinum, round-shaped old European and rose-cut diamonds in millegrain setting

Does anyone know who owns the londonderry and westminster tiaras? And are there any photos of people wearing them?

Thanks Warren!

The Marlborough Tiara looks very much like one of the Russian Tiaras! It is truly a stunner!

Are yet in nationals or intrnationals auctions sales of historics or quiet historics tiaras ? or this kind of sales are "gré à gré" (means individual to an other)if they exist. For example, if for one of the news heiress princess they want make the acquisition of a new tiara, do you think it's possible that this one will be baught on the " historic " market better to be baught directly at jeweller. I am making myself this question in the hypothesis ( true hypothesis ) of Kngs of spain want to buy a new tiara fo the Princess of Asturias because the RFS not have a lot - about five for three royals , Elena wearing more often her own's - and the turn over is not very easy because one this tiaras is very "royal" the lys's flowers one and we can think that the tendance it's becomming to wear more light piece of jewellery. The best example the tiara of Las Flores.

It will be interesting to know if it is possible to buy such an ancient piece of jewellery to make a new and original one to be wearing by a princess in exercice which becomming the specific, always for example, the Princess of Asturias Tiara.

We can imagine as the Infanta Leonor will be attend at reception with the Queen, Doña Letizia, Doña Elena, Doña Christina when she will be fifteen... Help, they will lacking of this so beatiful little sparkling hat !

Ok, so I was surfing the web and I think I have found, by far, my Favorite Tiara! It's the Württemburg rococo tiara! I love it! Its incredible! Who it's owned by or even the history behind it I really don't know!:(

Here are two pictures of it:

(source liljones)

Last edited:
Yikes! This is definitely rococo!

gogm said:
Yikes! This is definitely rococo!
Yeah I know! :D Isn't it Beautiful! I think it's incredible! But I don't have any info on it :( Actually I don't even know it's "real name!":(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom