The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 05:45 PM
Serene Highness

Dear Thomas,

With great reluctance do I dare disagree with someone who loves these jewels as much as myself. However, the marvelous Poltimore, being a personal gift to Princess Margaret from her parents, was private property and as such, her heirs property to do with as they pleased. In a perfect world, Viscount Linley would treasure his heritage higher than dirt and never part with his mother's tiara, giving the beautiful jewel to the poor little girl he had dangling off of his bicycle a while back as a consolation prize for a scarred childhood, however we don't live in a perfect world. It may be the romantic in me, but in this case, a family trust created for the benefit of the royal ladies would prohibit a Lady Something or an Hon. Something or even a lowly commoner from having a magnificant jewel that belonged to her Princess great or great-great grandmother, even if we the public don't get to see it trotted out on a regular basis. I would rather not see it because the tiara belonged to a non royal descendant than not see it because it is hidden away somewhere in the far east.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsa M.
Here are the main Spanish tiaras.
Dear Elsa M, you had maid a great job to to give us pics of all the tiaras of Royal Spain Family.

But, may be I'm wrong, I think you have forgot one -on which myself was dubitative regarding the owner- it's these wearing by the Queen Sofia for the coronation of the Shah of Iran and more recently for the State visit in Norway.

I beleived that this tiara, very regal, belong to the Infanta Pilar because she wore it some times and because her daughter had wear it for her wedding.

But very recently, I read in intervew of Simoneta Gomez Acebo, daughter of the Infanta Pilar, telling that thisTiara was a loan.

And I reed too that the King had rebaught some important jewelles of the crown.

What is the opinion of the connoissors of Spanish royal jewelles.

http://s2.supload.com/free/dsc016987nk.jpg/view/

( from hola )

Please apologize if this tiara has yet shown, I beleive not but as this thread is very long I can make a mistake.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:20 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman
I could skin the BRF, including Queens Mary, Queen Mum and ERII for not setting up a foundation to keep all of this massive jewelry collection intact and for the use of the Royal Family. These jewels are part of the heritage and dignity of the whole British nation.
Thomas, you need a cup of iced tea. As has been explained by Kimebear, the Poltimore was never a "Royal Family heirloom", and even if the Queens you mentioned had set up family foundations, Margaret's Poltimore, as her private property, would not have been included.

There are still possibly another half dozen tiaras of truly Royal provenance in the possession of Viscount Linley and Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones. The question is: how many tiaras do they need? Inevitably, over time they will be sold off. If Queen Elizabeth or King Charles decline to buy them back, what are Linley and Sarah supposed to do? The same situation is inevitable with the magnificant Gloucester collection. Sad for us tiara-watchers and royal admirers, but this is the the reality with any valuable but non-income producing asset.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:50 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
the Poltimore was never a "Royal Family heirloom".
It will, however, be forever synonymous with Princess Margaret. Her style, charisma. call it what you will!
Quote:
There are still possibly another half dozen tiaras of truly Royal provenance in the possession of Viscount Linley and Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones.
Unlike the the other possible half dozen. Not one of them will have the quantity "X" of the Poltimore!

The Poltimore requires a certain 'presence' to carry it off. Sadly I don't think any of Princess Margaret's decendents had the class, panache, or courage to carry it off.

Look at the photographs of Princess Margaret's wedding. What style, what beauty. I think the whole package was just too intimidating for any of her immediate family to take a shot at wearing it.

I just hope that whoever purchased it does not keep it in a vault, but flaunts it with the appropriate panache it deserves!
Old 12-05-2006, 11:04 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
There are still possibly another half dozen tiaras of truly Royal provenance in the possession of Viscount Linley and Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones.
Which ones do they have? (can you post links to pictures?)

Old 12-05-2006, 09:06 PM
Heir Apparent

The Papyrus Motif & the Persian Turquoise being two others I believe.

What of the circlet tiara?
Old 12-05-2006, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK
Which ones do they have? (can you post links to pictures?)
There are some pics in the Princess Margaret Jewels thread.

Tiara List
Poltimore (gone)
Teck Rose and Crescent
Teck Circlet necklace, convertable to a bandeau tiara
Papyrus
Persian Turquoise
Diamond Scroll
Strathmore Rose
Diamond Lozenge
Empress Maria Feodorovna Diamond and Sapphire bandeau tiara

The last two haven't been sighted for decades, and there may or may not be others we aren't aware of. Some of those in the list may have been loans from her mother which passed to the Queen on the Queen Mother's death, along with most of the QM's collection.

Did those fabled and mysterious vaults beneath Buckingham Palace require a significant expansion in 2002?
Old 12-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Courtier

Dear Warren,

You and the other noble members have just proven my point. All and I do mean all of these treasures should be part of a foundation and kept for the glory of the British people. Tiaras are not just headpieces. They can, if done properly of course, communicate a profound sense of dignity, if not majesty outright, and in the case of the items in question here a sense of history and heritage, qualities sadly and almost totally lacking in this degraded outhouse of a world we live in.

As for a cup of iced tea, I must dear Warren, correct you on a major Southern faux pas. Iced tea is not, repeat NOT EVER drunk in a cup. It is drunk in a glass, with ice and then the tea poured over. It can be sweetened or it can be unsweetened. Yes, people do drink the stuff unsweetened and iced. All of which our dear British cousins must find either absolutely appalling, disgusting or horrifying. In South Carolina it is called sweet tea. But then Yorkshire Gold is something else, even if there is not a speck of sugar in it.

Besides, given my hyperactive personality, while tea is soothing but chocolate is better and the men in white suits with drawn needles the most effective. Besides, good people, what would your lives be like without me on occasion to ruffle your feathers and get on your nerves. Tiaras are so soothing. Cheers. Thomas Parkman
Old 12-07-2006, 03:09 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mims111
which countrys royal fmaily has this one?? its beautiful!!
Old 12-07-2006, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samgee
which countrys royal fmaily has this one?? its beautiful!!
Current whereabouts unknown.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Which is a shame because this tiara is simply gorgeous
Old 12-09-2006, 02:06 AM
Courtier

I agree with Thomas. The BRF should set up a foundation for all the jewels in their possession to prevent the loss of them through death and divorces. If the jewels are not a personal expense or was given as a gift, it should stay with the family and not be given away. Most of the BRF tiaras and jewelry have such a long and illustrious history that it's such a shame that they're being separated from the family that they are most associated with. It dilutes their historic importance.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:07 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
Which is a shame because this tiara is simply gorgeous
I too think it is one of the most beautiful tiara's I have seen (in photo's). It looks like something an "Ice Princess" or "Nordic Queen" would look absolutely fabulous and totally regal in.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:43 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlightRhapsody
.....Most of the BRF tiaras and jewelry have such a long and illustrious history that it's such a shame that they're being separated from the family that they are most associated with. It dilutes their historic importance.
If you look at the tiara's gifted to Diana, Sarah & Sophie on their respective marriages, I think you will find they were all recent acquisitions with no BRF historical value whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlightRhapsody
The BRF should set up a foundation for all the jewels in their possession to prevent the loss of them through death and divorces.
That which belonged to the BRF and on loan to Diana was returned either upon divorce or death, or entailed upon her sons. The BRF, and more importantly, the Queen herself, does not squander the wonders of the royal vaults as whimiscal gifts. You had better believe that no-one is getting away with the family jewels!

The BRF has no need of a family foundation. The keys to the Royal vaults are locked that tight that no-one outside of the family (senior) even knows whats in there any more. And Her Majesty is not saying!

Makes you think though, when you consider the jewels we have seen, just what is locked away there. :w00t2:
As for the Poltimore.... it too was acquired just for Princess Margaret and had no BRF history.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

The tiara given to Diana (the Cambridge lovers' knot tiara) does have some history behind it, but Sarah's and Sophie's don't seem to be tiaras anyone had seen before. However, the Cambridge lovers' knot tiara wouldn't have been given to Diana as her private property to just sell on a whim, just as the choker from the Delhi and Cambridge emerald parure wouldn't have been just handed over as a personal gift for her to sell or break up if she wanted to - the fact that it was part of a parure indicates that the gifts were to the future Queen and not just to Lady Diana.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:46 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Tiara List
Poltimore (gone)
Teck Rose and Crescent
Teck Circlet necklace, convertable to a bandeau tiara
Papyrus
Persian Turquoise
Diamond Scroll
Strathmore Rose
Diamond Lozenge
Empress Maria Feodorovna Diamond and Sapphire bandeau tiara

The last two haven't been sighted for decades, and there may or may not be others we aren't aware of. Some of those in the list may have been loans from her mother which passed to the Queen on the Queen Mother's death, along with most of the QM's collection.
Did those fabled and mysterious vaults beneath Buckingham Palace require a significant expansion in 2002?
I think we can safely assume that anything with provenance from Queen Mary or beyond flew back to the vaults.

I will point out that you did, dear Warren, leave out one tiara! The Snowdon Floral Tiara was last seen in its entirity at Lady Sarah's wedding. However Sarah has worn portions of it as brooches at her mother & grandmothers funerals.
I assume that Sarah inherited this piece & Linley got the Poltimore which he sold earlier this year.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

The Diamond Scroll Tiara was also worn by Pincess Anne in the 60's/early 70's so it probably belongs to the Queen and i think the Strathmore Rose tiara was last seen worn by the Queen Mother as Duchess of York in the 20's.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:55 PM
Aristocracy

Does anyone know what tiara this is? The article makes it sound like it's the one Diana is wearing in the photograph behind it, but that is the lovers knot and the one on the pillow clearly is not. What's up?

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/02/16/Tb...ng_glory.shtml
Old 12-10-2006, 08:59 PM
Aristocracy

Diana's family: the Spencers had 2 tiaras this one is the second one, she did not like to wear it, don't know why.
Lady Tropical Paradise; this is an especulative site, and we are here because we have time to spare, my opinions and yours, are just that and nobody will get hurt if we express them. Have a great life.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:13 PM
Aristocracy

Ah, OK. I can understand...it doesn't really look like her. I wonder why they don't display the Spencer tiara she usually wore. I doubt any of the Countesses Spencer have worn it since her death.

Closed Thread

Tags
jewellery, tiaras