The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 03:42 PM
Courtier

And Warren, as usual you are right. However, I cannot resist quoting the Bard in one of the most famous and accurate lines in all of literature,ie: "the law is a ass". so I suppose we must growl and obey and be deprived of all those lovely goodies that we will neve see otherwise. Now how that makes any sense is beyond me, but then where money and the law are concerned has anything ever made any sense? cheers.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:26 PM
Courtier

jcbcode99, I love the Greek Laurel Reef of HRH Princess Georg of Greece & Denmark's tiara on that page, did you see that huge diamond drop in the middle? Now that's what Mathilde of Belguim should have! Beautiful tiara!

Old 08-12-2006, 12:36 AM
Royal Highness

It really is truly impressive! I love that style, its just so "goddess-y" for lack of a better term. Isn't that a fantastic site? I also love the Grand Duchess Vladimir's tiara http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...LG:en%26sa%3DN .
THere is another tiara, on http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...LG:en%26sa%3DN that looks so familiar--perhaps one of you could identify it for me? It is the second tiara on the second page. All it says is "Diamond Tiara 2". It looks kinda like a cross between the Durber and Poltimore--but perhaps someone with a bit more knowledge can help me out with the identification?
Night--
Janet
Old 08-12-2006, 12:49 AM
Royal Highness

I cannot believe how totally addicted I am. If you all weren't addicted also, I would feel silly--but I found a lovely, lovely site while searching for a history on the tiara I asked about (can't find, but found this )

Now, I am certain that you have all seen this before, but please indulge the newbie while I gush!
I think that the Russian Garland tiara is truly beautiful--I think it is a classic. The Coral Tiara scares me (sorry, but its true), the Pendant drop tiara is stunning, the double bandeau is really, really, really something I would love to have -- very 20's. Not necessarily a tiara, but hey, if there are diamonds......it's about the same era as the Strathmore, isn't it? Both are lovely, but a little dated. But, this could make a comeback. But, I would never suggest breaking them up and using the diamonds elsewhere (I hate to see history destroyed!),
OK--you have indulged me enough for the evening---
Janet
Old 08-12-2006, 02:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99
There is another tiara, on page 2 that looks so familiar. It is the second tiara on the second page. All it says is "Diamond Tiara 2".
Page 2, 2nd pic top line belonged to Princess Paul of Yugoslavia, neé Princess Olga of Greece and Denmark, a sister of Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent.
The tiara was made by Boucheron and is today owned by one of Olga's children.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:09 AM
Courtier

jcbcode99, yes that is a very beautiful tiara too, I also love the Scrollwork Tiara and the Pearl and Diamond taira 2. And on page 5 the Bodice-front brooch and earrings 4 are stunning!
Old 08-12-2006, 12:55 PM
Courtier

Well, dear members, this thread just keeps rolling and rolling along. Roll on thou Mighty Ocean, say I!!!!! I suppose that between this and the worst tiaras thread we will probably end up with a large part of the real estate of India, Africa, Brazil, Colombia, Burma, Shri Lanka and Kashmir, not to mention some islands in the Persian Gulf, pictured in much improved versions on these pages. That is unless the blased copywright grinches insist on ruining our little opium den sessions.

Make no mistake about it this is addictive, positively addictive but I cannot think of anything other than chocolat and Mozart, apart of course from chess and walking, that would bring better happiness to the world. All those poor fools in the Middle East and elsewhere wanting to go around and blow up people should just get themselves a cup or glass of good tea, draw a deep breath and sit down and look throught the pages of the Royal Forum.

So dear JCBCode99, do not be ashamed of your addiction. You have come to the right place. We all love and adore all the goodies you are dredging up, not to mention your good self, and then there is the noble Warren to put up with your gentle insanity. Believe me, if that good man can put up with mine, he can put up with anybody's.

I would however now mention but one of my many obsessions. Could you, Oh most noble Code99 see if you could find out anything on the Wave tiara made by Boucheron in the early part of the 20th century. It is cited once in the Bible and appears to have disappeared. I can only hope it has not been destroyed. But I fear the worst. Cheers. Thomas Parkman
Old 08-17-2006, 12:42 AM

the most beautifull tiara for me is Poltimore Tiara the wedding tiara of the late princess Margareth of Great Britain
Old 08-17-2006, 11:06 AM
Courtier

Dear Johny

I agree with you that the Poltimore Tiara is a marvelous goodie. Unfortunately under the guise of paying death duties Princess Margaret's son the Viscount Linsley (or however you spell his title) sold off far more of Mama's goodies than he really needed to. It seems he has a reputation for being overly fond of money and has little attachment to such things as family tradition etc. Of course he would argue that the good viscountess really has little if any occasion to wear such a fabulous jewel.

In any case the marvelous contraption has now diasppeared into private hands somewhere in Asia and will prbably never be seen again. Have you looked by chance at the splendid Princess Mary of Denmark, bedecked in the Desiree Clary ruby parure by chance. Or seen the Duchess of Westminster's spinel parure, which in its design but not choice of stones is one of the most subline such contratpions in existence. Just a couple of suggestions to continue to make your life interesting. Cheers. Thomas Parkman
Old 08-19-2006, 10:05 PM
Royal Highness

The Wave!

Thomas,
I am thrilled by your love of the tiara and flattered by your faith in my abiliites, but as yet I have not uncovered any new information about the Wave tiara--it is a beauty, and I hate the idea of it being broken up. However, while searching for information about Boucheron's tiaras, I did find this little number and thought it very delicate:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...006-03,GGLR:en

and there is also a very attractive 37 carat diamond necklace as well on the shharris website.
I also found this little article regarding great jewelry in the world--stones, metals, styles--I was hooked. Nice reading--no pictures (I suddenly feel 7 again) but worth the read.
http://www.brazwriter.com/jewelry.html

But, sadly, I am still looking for the elusive wave tiara! I am certain that with all of us dedicated tiara sniffers, we are certain to find a clue to set us upon the proper path!

Also, I too love the Poltimore and was aghast when it was sold AT AUCTION no less. Honestly, their MOTHER wore it. I am sentimental about embroidered gloves that my grandmother used when she received callers, I imagine I would feel strongly about a tiara she wore when she married. Surely her death duties were not that astronomical--but they sold some lovely items, did they not?
Good Night All,
Janet
Old 08-24-2006, 10:43 PM
Heir Apparent

My favourite tiara and matching suite would be the Danish Crown Emerald parure.

Seen here, adorned by the Queen of Denmark.

Picture supplied by www.royal-magazin.de
Old 08-24-2006, 11:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by felicia
It was inherited by special decree by King George V's only daughter Princess Mary. And it is now in the possession of her son the Earl of Harewood's family. I think the main line British Royal Family should buy it back so we can see it worn.
According to the countess, there is only the one tiara in the family (and they are very closely related because of Prss Mary's marriage to the Earl). The Windsors have enough tiaras, although the parure (there is a matching necklace) is beautiful.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
That tiara actually looks like the Wittelsbach Lover's Knot tiara on display in the Residenz in Muenchen. Can't ever be completely sure with that design, though. I think Wuerttemburg has a similar one, even, so it could be that one, too.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:59 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Chota
That tiara actually looks like the Wittelsbach Lover's Knot tiara on display in the Residenz in Muenchen. Can't ever be completely sure with that design, though. I think Wuerttemburg has a similar one, even, so it could be that one, too.
I'm pretty sure the lady is Fürstin Marie Charlotte von Quadt zu Wykradt und Isny, neé Princess of Bavaria and a daughter of the late Duke Albrecht, wearing the Wittelsbach version of the Lover's Knot tiara. If not, it may be her twin sister, Princess Gabrielle.

According to Leslie Field's "The Jewels of Queen Elizabeth II" there are five Lovers' Knot tiaras in existence. Other sources give them as Windsor, Wittelsbach, Waldburg zu Zeil und Trauchburg, Mecklenburg (sold to a private bidder at auction some years ago), and Yussoupov (fate unknown). There is/was also a version created for a Maharajah, which may or may not be included in the five.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:42 AM
Courtier

Well, dear members, here I do again. Pant, slurp, drool-ThUD. I am now blissedd out on the floor. You might call me a royal roller. At least I do not chew the carpet-the stuff tastes awful. Soon the little men in white coats will show up and give me shome chocolat with sugar and all will be well. Let us just admit the truth. This is a passionate love affair and who can blame us. Just look at the magnificent Margarethe II wearing that emeral parure that the noble Madame Royale has so kindly shared with us. Gorgeous isn't the word. My God, even I would look good in it.

I have long thought that the mystery of the Wave Tiara, if ever it were uncovered could be a tale worthy of the mighty Agatha herself. I wonder if any of the members has the e mail address for the Prophet (ie Geoffrey Munn) or even of Boucheron. One could in fear and trembling approach them with the appropriate burnt offerings of course.

I agree with you JBC that the sale of the Poltimore tiara was appalling. What I really think of the Vc L cannot be put on this forum. The moderators would not be amused and the moderators are THEY WHO MUST BE OBEYED!!!!! But at least at last report the family (Lady Sara Chatto?) still have the beautiful Persian turquoise tiara. While I do not care for that particular stone the design and execution of the form is a masterpiece.

I do not agree with the member's admiration of the Lover's Knot Tiara cited above. It is overdone. too many pearls. Even in the version Princess Diana wore the top row of pearl spikes was removed. I have thought the version cited above should have been entered in the worst tiara thread. Perhaps somebody could do that and so revive that much missed thread. Then I could wax venemous and acidulous again. All this sweetness, goodness and light is getting on my nerves . Then the moderators could go on the warpath again. And life could get very interesting indeed. Cheers. Thomas Parkman
Old 08-25-2006, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
I'm pretty sure the lady is Fürstin Marie Charlotte von Quadt zu Wykradt und Isny, neé Princess of Bavaria and a daughter of the late Duke Albrecht, wearing the Wittelsbach version of the Lover's Knot tiara. If not, it may be her twin sister, Princess Gabrielle.
It is Princess Marie Gabriele, Fürstin von Waldburg zu Zeil und Trauchburg and the photo was taken at the pre wedding ball of her niece Duchess Elizabeth in Bavaria in September 2004.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Chota
It is the tiara in the Schatzkammer of the Residenz in München.

Here is a link about the Lover's Knot Tiaras.
http://www.royal-magazin.de/lovers-k...oversknots.htm

Royal Travel and Events

Old 08-25-2006, 07:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman
Just look at the magnificent Margarethe II wearing that emeral parure that the noble Madame Royale has so kindly shared with us. Gorgeous isn't the word.
Its a pleasure Thomas.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:27 PM
Royal Highness

Thomas, I have to say that I applaud your timing! For some time (since I first saw the Lover's Knot Tiara on Diana when I was quite young), I have not been a fan. I think they are somewhat childish--bows and too many pearls. They lack that necessary sense of majesty or regalia which a tiara is supposed to invoke for those of us who can only sigh, wish and dream. True, they are intricate, and they are sweet and I doubt if I would turn one down, but but I just think that someone over the age of 25 looks very silly in one of them. If I had to choose a tiara which had a similar look it would be The Grand Duchess Vladimir's tiara (which HRM now owns) that was purchased by Queen Mary, who then had it altered in such a way as to display the Emerald drops (sigh) or large pearl drops (sigh). Now, I think this tiara is kind of similar to those Lover's Knot's pieces, but this is a more regal, grown up version that I just love. Here is a site which has some beautiful pieces on it:
http://www.mandysroyalty.org/aTiaras.html

THe tiara of which I speak is the fifth one down, right after the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara. I also love, love, LOVE the Girls of Great Britian and Irland Tiara, which is towards the end. It is a very changeable piece as well--it can be worn with pearl spikes and has a lovely base which Elizabeth II wears with it.

I shall now and put on my rhinestone tiara made of nickel plated metal that my husband bought me as a gag gift for my Christmas stocking last year. But, it isn't the same.
Janet
Old 08-26-2006, 12:31 PM
Courtier

Dear Jbcode99,

I am very ambivalent about the lover's knot thinge. I have seen a picture of it once with the spikes in which it was magnifecent but at later viewings I have come to view it as too much of a very good thing. After all who can quarrel with pearls. However, as with all precious gems they must be handled with that illusive commodity: taste. I agree with you. I think Diana would have looked so much better in the Princess Vladimir tiara set with pearls. However the real knock out is when the thing is set with the Cambridge emeralds, although I have never been terribly fond of the necklance that goes with it.

You should look back in this thread and find the picture of Queen Marie wearing a pearl tiara. It is magnificent and right up to the edge but not overdone. There are pictures where the good Queen Marie was having a bad day and overdid it, I mean the woman really overdid it, but then you can't be perfect all the time. Where you want it with these things is right at the edge but not over it, if you know what I mean. Queen Mary was a past master of such behaviour although even at times she could overdo it as well.

You really should take a gander at the ruby goodies in the British Royal collection. There are two quite wonderful tiaras, a couple of drop dead gorgeous necklaces and that most interesting of contraptions, a ruby bandeau, whatever that is. It is deliciously beautiful.

You should find a local jeweler and get you some silver, a few aquamarines, amethysts, yellow topaz or white sapphires or chrysparese (lsorry but I cannot spell or type worth a tinker's D***) or whatnot and get your husband to have a parure concocted for you. Chrysparese-I am now going to make a fool of myself because I cannot spell and I mangle everything-is a wonderful green jade like semi precious stone that is really quite lovely. Good luck. Cheers.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:29 PM
Serene Highness

This tiara looks very lovely. http://www.seegerpress-online.de/top...ER00165622.jpg

On pic is Princess Xenia zu Hohenlohe-Langenburg.
I think, that some tiaras of noble is more beautiful than "royal" tiaras of reining houses. Does anybody have more info about this tiara/ more pics?

Tags
jewellery, tiaras