Favourite Royal Tiaras 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have info about the tiaras of liechtenstein and monaco?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chiyo, what did you think of the coral tiara on page 49? It's unique and quite beautiful.

The Oritental Circlet, page 90, along with the gold and emerald tiara, made for the Duchesse d'Angouleme, page 224, are two more which made my list of all time favorite tiaras.

:)

I think the workmanship on the coral tiara is stunning, but I'm not a big fan of coral jewelry in general. That said, I can see how it would look lovely on the right woman with the right hairstyle.

The other two you mention are much more to my taste. ;) I'm particularly fond of the Duchesse d'Angouleme's tiara, as I have a passion for emeralds.

I also quite like the Princess Royal's Greek key tiara. It's so sleek.

For those of you who don't have the book, here's the Oriental Circlet.

This is the emerald tiara: http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/6995/emeraldcw3.th.jpg

Here's the full size picture: http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/3742/emeraldoj6.jpg

Greek Key: http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/1337/tiara6ca0.th.jpg

Full Size: http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/1306/tiara6tm6.jpg

I'm afraid I couldn't find a picture of the coral tiara, unfortunately.

Last edited:
It's just not fair

Dear members,
I do not think it would a detraction from the ladies if men were to be wearing variations of the fabulous goodies we have seen on this thread and might create great happiness, knowing that you had all your worldly goods wrapped up in a mulitmillion dollar tiara which you could wear to the board meetings at work. You really should see some of the pictures of those Indian maharajas decked out in all their jewel dripping finery. It is incredible that a man would appear in public looking like that. A new thread on the subject, anyone??? Cheers.

Thomas Parkman said:
You really should see some of the pictures of those Indian maharajas decked out in all their jewel dripping finery... A new thread on the subject, anyone???
No need for a new thread Thomas, the existing one will do: Indian Royal Jewels

This is interesting, a Crown presented in 1876 to Edward VII when Prince of Wales by the Taluqdars of Oudh. Diamonds, pearls and a few emeralds, unfortunately unworn (at least in public :D), and part of the Royal Collection.

Men have crowns, women have tiaras (and crowns). Nothing's stopping men from wearing crowns as often as women wear tiaras. Which prince or King could bring this into vogue?

I must disagree

Most Noble Warren and members of the list:

There seems to be some confusion here. Tiaras can be worn by any woman with the means to beg, borrow, buy or steal one. She or her whatevever could even go to Wall Mart and buy one made of Austrian crystals or whathave you if the spirit moved. You may consult the Bible on the score and view the 19th century American plug uglies Mr. Mann has dug up bedecked in the massive jewelry wrung out of the toiling masses supported by their entirely too massive frames. A crown, however, is an insignia of office and can only be properly worn by a reigning monarch and his consort or some such. Hence my point that men should be allowed to wear tiaras simply because they are such superb pieces of jewelry.

Further where did anybody get the idea of Donald Trump, of all people wearing a tiara???? When I mentioned splendid and attractive specimans of the male members of the species he never entered my mind. DT, by general consensus of informed opinion is not S or A either. Since I am a movie ignoramus and TV mongoloid, detesting both equally, I was thinking of someone, well, pretty along the lines of the much younger Brad Pitt, or Tom Kruse, for both of whom I personally have little admiration but they would do for purposes of general illustration. Or perhaps the altogether splendid CP Frederick, in a well designed gentelman's head ornament.

As for the Indian Royal Jewels thread, I must express my gratitude to you Warren. I do not have the energy to read all of it today but will save it for future reference. I did love the reference to the fact that the Indian royals, on occasion, wore little clothing when they loaded themselves down with jewels. Who needs clothes??? There was one reference to one august soul wearing only a loin cloth who was spendidly bedecked with diamonds, rubies, pearls, emeralds, the whole nine yards. We could start a whole new style here: diamond and emerald fig leaves. Besides I am just wild about aigrettes, ie jeweled hat (or in this case turban) ornaments. There is one incredible eight inch diamond and emerald aigrette in the Iranian royal jewels that I absolutely go into orbit over.

Perhaps we could get Mr. Pitt to put on a turban with that on it and-since anyone having had the misfortune to see him in the movie Troy has seen everything else he has to offer, perhaps we could bedeck him with an appropriately modest matching diamond and emerald fig leaf and have him pose on the front cover of Vanity Fair, as he did so distastefully just a few month back clad only in wet gentleman's unmentionables. One could ogle the jewels and ignore or not ignore Mr. Pitt as one chose. cheers.

Shadiyah2086 said:
WOW!!:ohmy: I knew the Spencer Tiara was beautiful, but seeing it that close in such detail it GORGEOUS!!!
I agree with you seeing the spencer tiara up-close is breathtaking. Maybe Wills and Harry should buy that tiara from their uncle.

Last edited:
Dear Thomas
That was a fun post. You are back in form. :flowers:

aigrettes, anyone???

Thank you Warren, you are most kind.

I will not bore you with those pleasures of the flesh, as I call them, which have, among other things limited my enjoyment of one of the real pleasures of the flesh, ie the Royal Forums. I would note, and please correct me here, but that Iranian aigrette that I mentioned in my last posting has in it an emerald of some 60 carats???? I drool over the thing every time I see a picture of it. The thing about the Iranians is that there is nothing lukewarm about them. They have got an absolutely incredible collection of crown jewels and they at least used to flaunt that collection with splendid panache and I suspect many in their heart of hearts-given the present dispensation-wish they still could.

There is further a hat ornament that the shah wore to his coronation consisting of a 107 carat diamond of remarkable purity and great fame whose name at the moment escapes me. You should see if you can find a picture of that. It too is absolutely magnificent. If I were to wear one of my hats with that little goodie attached to it, I would not get arrested here in Columbia SC,(there being immense admiration and envy) but I would need a brigade from Fort Jackson as a body guard. But at least nobody could accuse me of that indecent exposure which appears to be professionally obligatory if you appear in motion pictures these days. Cheers.

wymanda said:
I'm not sure if its the one you mean but Munn pictures a tortoishell & amytheyst tiara owned by the Spencers. The shell is very dark and it would have worked wonderfully with the purple velvet gown & amythyst jewellery that Diana wore.

No, I haven't heard about the tortoiseshell & amethyst tiara. It's an interesting question, how many tiaras does Earl Spencer have squirrelled away?

iowabelle said:
No, I haven't heard about the tortoiseshell & amethyst tiara. It's an interesting question, how many tiaras does Earl Spencer have squirrelled away?

Well, that makes three: the Spencer, the Honeysuckle, and the tortoiseshell/amethyst. There was another that Diana's mother wore at her wedding to Johnnie Spencer, but that might have been a loaner or a Fermoy piece.

I'm curious if the tortoiseshell/amethyst is the one that belonged to Marie Antoinette. If it isn't, then there is a fourth tiara in the Spencer vaults.

Elspeth said:
That row of pearls in the body of the tiara always reminds me of a parade of Mickey Mouse heads. Apart from that, it's a lovely tiara.

Hahahaha- I didn't notice that before, but it's true!:lol:

Dear Warren,

Thank you for once again kindly indulging my mental illness and obsessions, at least some of them. Others cannot be menitoned on this, a family forum. The picture of the Empress Eugennie diamond and pearl tiara is superb. It is truly lovely. Like so many other things I have seen here I would love to be able to see the artifact itself, which I am sure would create a far more powerful impression than any photograh, however excellent, could.

That work has always seemed to me to be an ambivalent creation. I have never been able to make up my mind about it. Seeing that picture of it has put it in a more positive light but it has always seemed to me to be too "pearly" (?) or somehow overdone, I have never been able to put my finger on it.

While certainly impressive and very beautiful, I think it might have been better with a more even balance between the diamonds and the pearls, with more large diamonds and not so many pearls, or the pearls not quite as obvious (??). What do you think?/ Perhaps a bit of photoshopping here? Cheers.

Thomas, here are some photoshops of the tiara to start with. I've posted them in the "Photoshopping Royal Tiaras" thread, but here's a link.
Edit #1: removed the pearls from the crescent shaped arrangement of pearls
Edit #2: removed the pearls that are the "ears" from the Mickey Mouse (is it Mickey Mouses or Mickey Mice?)
Edit #3: removed the top prong pearls

a question.. who is allowed to use a tiara??.. I mean.. do you need to have a royal title??.. because, for example, I've never seen Zara Philips or Charlotte Casiraghi wearing any tiara or important piece of jewlery...while madelaine of sweden is often seen wearing lots of different tiaras.. necklaces. brooches..etc..

Heiress Victoria said:
a question.. who is allowed to use a tiara??.. I mean.. do you need to have a royal title??.. because, for example, I've never seen Zara Philips or Charlotte Casiraghi wearing any tiara or important piece of jewlery...while madelaine of sweden is often seen wearing lots of different tiaras.. necklaces. brooches..etc..

well, technically anyone can wear a tiara (ie Elizabeth Taylor has one), but Zara and Charlotte don't wear tiara's because since they aren't technically royals, it would be seen as inappropriate I guess. Madeleine, on the other hand, has a title and is part of the royal family, so she gets to wear her family's tiaras.
I would die of happiness if I ever saw either Zara or Charlotte wearing one of their mother's tiaras!

Heiress Victoria said:
a question.. who is allowed to use a tiara?
Anyone with the money to buy one; is a member of a family that owns one; or has the contacts to borrow one.

Heiress Victoria said:

Anyone can wear a tiara. If you can afford it, you can wear it. There's nothing that says they are strictly for royalty and no one else. I know women who've worn them with their wedding veils, I know a couple girls who wore them to prom. Granted they weren't tiaras on the same level as something Crown Princess Mary would wear, but they were still tiaras.

Elspeth said:
That row of pearls in the body of the tiara always reminds me of a parade of Mickey Mouse heads. Apart from that, it's a lovely tiara.
Elspeth, if you look at them just right, they look like our smiley face icons! (Never noticed that before :) ).

sassie said:
I'm curious if the tortoiseshell/amethyst is the one that belonged to Marie Antoinette. If it isn't, then there is a fourth tiara in the Spencer vaults.
I only have a vague memory of it. It was very delicate and looked to be made out of gold. So I would guess it's No. 4.

The Belgian Empire Tiara
The Poltimore
The Snowdon Floral Leaf

I do like 'Russian style' tiaras. The diamond fringe tiara from Liechtenstein (second from top) is wonderful as is the 'Howe' tiara from England (top).

can you tell me more about the "Howe" tiara? It is very beautiful. I too like the Russian style tiaras especially the fringe tiaras

Anyone can wear a tiara. If you can afford it, you can wear it. There's nothing that says they are strictly for royalty and no one else. I know women who've worn them with their wedding veils, I know a couple girls who wore them to prom. Granted they weren't tiaras on the same level as something Crown Princess Mary would wear, but they were still tiaras.

Honey, if Sir Elton John can wear one.....well I guess anyone can!! (It was even included in the lovely Geoffrey Munn exhibition!!)
:lol: :flowers:

The Portland Tiara is simply stunning, what family is it from?

Gorgeous thread:flowers: I've always liked the "Girls of Great Britain and Ireland" tiara and, as I've said before the Fife tiara. Both aren't huge or flashy but to me, they are beautiful all the same. The Queen wears the "Girls" tiara quite often.:flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom