The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 01:43 AM
Serene Highness

I'm not a Warren but I found this page and if you look on 3rd lady in picture she is wearing fife tiara. That lasy is HRH Princess Royal, Duchess of Fife (1867-1931) née Princess Louise (Victoria Alexandra Dagmar) of Wales. I hope it helps.
http://lafayette.150m.com/geo00418.html

Old 07-29-2006, 02:23 AM
Aristocracy

Well I am not Warren but I have some lovely pictures of HRH Princess Louise, the Princess Royal and Duchess of Fife wearing the Fife Tiara.

Old 07-29-2006, 09:24 AM
Administrator

One Hundred Tiaras - gasp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOlivera
Where is the Albert-designed sapphire and diamond tiara these days??
To add to what Felicia has posted...

In 1997 an exhibition called "One Hundred Tiaras" was held by the jewellers Wartski in London. The exhibition, which was several years in the planning, was organised by none other than Geoffrey Munn, and formed the basis of his magnum opus "Tiaras A History of Splendour" which was published in 2001.

Regarding Queen Victoria's sapphire and diamond Gothic tiara worn in the famous Winterhalter portrait, Mr Munn explains: "In this case we owe a huge debt to both the owners and to serendipity. Amongst the hundreds of letters of enquiry during the past two years was one to The Earl of Harewood in the hope that there might be a tiara from his mother, Her Late Royal Highness The Princess Royal. Lady Harewood replied that there was only one and that if I wanted to see how it looked it was plainly visible in the Winterhalter! I believe this is the first time it has been exhibited and its discovery remains one of indelible excitement to us here."

Excerpt from the catalogue "One Hundred Tiaras: An Evolution of Style 1800-1990", Wartski 1997.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:33 AM
Aristocracy

Has this tiara been seen worn by anyone since Queen Victoria in public?
Old 07-30-2006, 05:58 PM
Courtier

Here I go again. I just do not know if my system can stand too much more of this sheer delight. I am so grateful to the very kind Felicia and Mims for finding goodies with the Fife tiara in them. Unfortunately nobody has found a picture of anybody wearing it that is less than twenty or thirty years old. It is such a magnificent thing. I would love to see if worn naturally instead of stuck on the head flat supported by what they called transformations.

In any case a transformation is somebody else's hair plastered on the head of the wearer and lacquered together to act as a kind of concrete base on which one can suppoprt this outrageously expensive and decadent toy worth millions. You then sort of pin it onto the solidified and hairy goo and take it from there. Lovely. In the case of the Fife, I do wish the jeweler had created a complete parure instead of just one piece. But these Brits, they just have no taste. Or perhaps they ran out of money. Cheers. Thomas Parkman
Old 07-31-2006, 07:39 AM
Serene Highness

here are more of beautiful tiaras:

archduchess Izabel's peridot diadem

Empress Eugenie emereald tiara

Wurtemberg diamond diadem

Hess spiked diamond tiara

Grand duchess Hilda of Baden tiara

Napoleonic amethyst tiara

pictures from: liljones webpage and from gettyimages
Old 07-31-2006, 10:03 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

thank you mims, I never saw that emerald tiara of Empress Eugenie before, it is very nice and simple. I always thought she owned the angouleme emerald tiara as well (which is beautiful as well).
Isabels Peridots are just to fabulous for words. However I am sure the Archduchess would have thrown them into one of her austrian lakes if she knew that Joan Rivers would wear her beautiful jewels (we should sue the jeweller who loaned it to mrs Rivers for vandalism IMO).
Old 07-31-2006, 12:45 PM
Serene Highness

Isabel's Peridot tiaras: (I love it too, tiaras with coloured stones are more interesting)

pictures from: liljones webpage
Old 08-04-2006, 12:51 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman
Here I go again. I just do not know if my system can stand too much more of this sheer delight. I am so grateful to the very kind Felicia and Mims for finding goodies with the Fife tiara in them. Unfortunately nobody has found a picture of anybody wearing it that is less than twenty or thirty years old. It is such a magnificent thing. I would love to see if worn naturally instead of stuck on the head flat supported by what they called transformations.

In any case a transformation is somebody else's hair plastered on the head of the wearer and lacquered together to act as a kind of concrete base on which one can suppoprt this outrageously expensive and decadent toy worth millions. You then sort of pin it onto the solidified and hairy goo and take it from there. Lovely. In the case of the Fife, I do wish the jeweler had created a complete parure instead of just one piece. But these Brits, they just have no taste. Or perhaps they ran out of money. Cheers. Thomas Parkman
Message to Thomas Parkman:

In the second photo I posted of Louise, the Princess Royal, I am quite sure she is young and under the age of 30. She is also (I am nearly totally sure) not wearing a wig or a transformation, etc. That is her own hair, in the style of the day. Obviously not the fashion now. And I do have a couple of photos of the current Duchess of Fife or Countess of Macduff wearing the tiara at her wedding, but since I don't know who the photographer is, I am not allowed to post them.

Also, as it is made out of just diamonds it would have been uneccesary and too expensive to make a whole parure. Any diamond necklaces, rings would go with it. And Louise can be seen wearing much other diamond jewelry with it.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:11 PM
Royal Highness

Favorite Tiaras

This is my very first post, so I'm going to TRY to link you over to photos of my favorite tiaras.

The first, is the Oriental Circlet--I just love it. I saw it on a site a couple weeks ago and cannot get it out of my mind. It's just so delicate and stunning at the same time.
http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/eg...9200001&row=37

And, since most of you posted all of the beautiful diamond tiaras (who doesn't love a diamond tiara???), I am now going to post a link that takes you to where you can see the BEAUTIFUL diamond and sapphire tiara which was designed by Prince Albert for his Queen. She wore it as a tiara and also around her hair bun. I love this tiara. Queen Victoria had some lovely jewels--but later in life she refused to wear so many of them--she thought that it was a vulgar display of wealth that would anger her subjects. But, I just think this is sweet tiara.

http://www.vam.ac.uk/vastatic/micros...xhibition.html

By the way, I just love this site. Finally, I'm surrounded by lovers of royal gems as well! Most people think I'm crazy when they hear how much I love talking about the jewels in the royal vaults. I DO wish QEII would jazz it up a little and wear some new pieces!!
Janet
Old 08-07-2006, 10:20 PM
Serene Highness

I love the Oriental Circlet. I would love it even more if the opals were put back in.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear
I love the Oriental Circlet. I would love it even more if the opals were put back in.
Does anyone know the colour of the original opals? Black opals would be stunning.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:17 AM
Nobility

http://pro.corbis.com/images/0000299...-2fbea97d762f}

the jewelry of my dream
Old 08-09-2006, 12:33 AM
Royal Highness

Jazzing it up

Oh dear me, yes, I want the Queen to jazz it up with new pieces--new being pieces I've not yet seen from those vast vaults she has. There are so many beautiful pieces--I would especially love to see Queen Mary's Rose and Crescent Tiara worn again, and some of those "Ladies of...." tiaras need to make a comeback as well! I was pleased to see Camilla, the Princess of Wales, wearing such lovely pieces recently. The Honeycomb piece is impressive, it is true, but I am in the minority in that I preferred the Deli Durbar tiara on her.However, had Camilla worn the five row necklace which the Queen Mother wore with it in this picture http://www.royal-magazin.de/qmum.htm it could have changed my opinion very quickly. But, either way, she looked very regal-I always knew she would.

Here is a link to another tiara I just love--its the Palffy Tiara, and it is IMPRESSIVE.
http://www.royal-magazin.de/austria/palffy-tiara.htm

And, this one is a Faberge piece, and while not a total fan of the style, I have to applaud the exquisite workmanship in this piece. Anything which Mr. Faberge did was just truly a work of art, and his tiaras are quite rare-- I did a search and only found four. This one has 280 brilliant cut diamonds.
http://www.royal-magazin.de/england/...ail-diadem.htm

Incidentally, someone posted about the Oriental Circlet having had opals and wondering if they were black. I have no idea, but black opals are very, very rare, so I think that even if Alexandra were superstitious about opals, that had they been black, we would have seen them reset. But I do agree--black opals on that circlet would have been impressive--but I do prefer the rubies!
Janet
Old 08-09-2006, 02:20 AM
Aristocracy

I've always wondered why was Queen Alexandra superstitious about opals? What made her think that the Oriental Circlet had to be reset with rubies?
Prince Albert the Prince Consort loved Opals.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:04 AM
Serene Highness

I don't dislike the rubies in the Oriental Circlet. It's just that they are too much on the small side to be impressive (not to say I wouldn't take them if offered ). An unusual stone like an opal or even turquoise would really stand out with that particular tiara.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:33 PM
Courtier

Oh, God, I have become an addict. this place is almost as good as chocolat. I am grateful to JBC for locating the incredible picture of the QM Elizabeth wearing all five of the chains of diamonds in that incredible necklace. It seems that George VI was leery of all those diamonds and the only time I have ever heard of her wearing all five ropes of them was at a reception or some other for Charles de Gaulle in 1961 or thereabouts. Of course that would have put him in his place, and if anybody ever needed it C de G was the man.

Definately of the Queen Mary School, if you got it flaunt it. It is a stunning piece. And with those ruby and diamond earings and the tiara simply overwhelming.

Of course I must thank the noble Felicia for her comments about the Fife tiara. I was not very clear in my missive. it seems that I am seldom very clear, I babble a lot and those who know me simply shrug their shoulders and go about their business muttering 'there, he is at it again", those who do not know me call the little me in white suits. I meant to say I wish there had been a picture of somebody wearing the Fife tiara that had been made in the past twenty or thirty years. Of course Princess Louise was a sweet young thing, how could the poor thing be otherwise with the set of relatives she had, beginning with dear Papa and all the way down. "the Good Lord gave us our relatives, we can choose our friends certainly does apply here."

Of course I am not at all happy about the fact that the Noble Felicia has all these goodies, ie more current pictures of the Fife tiara which she cannot publish due to the blasted copywright considerations. What do those idiots think we are going to do, print them off and sell them on the steet. Cook them up into a stew and have them for dinner? I suppose they do object, being money grubbing puritans, to all the drooling and waxing green with envy that we do around here. I wax acidulous. H*** and Blast and D*** on all the copywright party poopers say it.

The rest of the jewels are toothsome indeed. You good people should continue the good and noble work. It keeps me off of the streets and out of mischief (some) and greatly improves my disposition and outlook. Cheers. Thomas Parkman
Old 08-09-2006, 09:20 PM
Royal Highness

Oh yes, by "new" I really do mean her old pieces which no one has seen for years. I know how much I would love to see Queen Mary's Rose and Crescent tiara. I know it would be stunning on the right head!

I also love this Danish tiara from the House of Baden, this site also has bunces of tiaras (all of which I think we've commented on at some point or another!) http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...LG:en%26sa%3DN

Sorry the address is so long. Can someone explain the picture post rules to me?

Also, I know nothing about this tiara, can't place it or identify it, I think its Russian, and the pic is in black and white, but isn't it beautiful????
http://www.geocities.com/~tfboettger/lr/16.htm AND

this one: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...LG:en%26sa%3DN another stunner. It's the roseberry tiara and its french. This site has some beautiful tiaras on it. It says its a new site--

Janet
Old 08-09-2006, 09:27 PM
Royal Highness

Totally Addicted

Thomas, I too am totally addicted! I've always loved the royal jewels--and I remember when Charles and Diana came to the USA on one of their visits--Life ran a story about her jewels and I had to have it--here I was, just a little girl, and I knew all about those gems. I still have the magazine, too. So, it is nice to find a place where I can come and share my addiction with others--and seriously, aren't there worse things to be addicted to????

And, I can't remember who posted it, but those rubies are a touch small (but compared to the Burmese tiara....), and I would like to have seen the opals on the oriental too. There aren't many opal tiaras out there, huh?

And, Thomas, you're quite welcome--the Queen Mother really knew how to wear jewels, didn't she?

Janet
Old 08-10-2006, 04:34 AM
Administrator

Copyright law and picture posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99
Sorry the address is so long. Can someone explain the picture post rules to me? Janet
The picture posting rules are explained in detail in the Posting Rules and Guidelines.

Copyright law regarding posting pictures on the internet is currently a very sensitive issue. The Picture Agencies own the rights to the pictures we post and therefore are in a position to determine how they are used. As the Agencies have the law on their side, we must comply.

Warren
Royal Jewels moderator

Tags
jewellery, tiaras