Dutch Jewels: Suggested Changes and Alterations

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muriel

Imperial Majesty
City
London / Guildford
Country
United Kingdom
We can use this thread for any suggested changes to the jewels of the Dutch royal family

I would like to see Queen Maxima attach a serious diamond pendant (perhaps the one she used on the evening before the Dutch inauguration) to a pearl necklace to make a suitable necklace to accompany the Wurtemberg pearl and diamond tiara

I think they can attach pearls to the honeycomb necklace, so that would work as well.

-
I dislike the emerald tiara tremendously, esp. with the two new extra prongs. IMO they should remove all prongs and leave it for junior princesses.

The most obvious change would be to get the leaves back on the base of the pearl button/ star tiara. Of course the collection has only one leaf brooch elft, but it shouldn't be too costly to create some new ones.

I would like to see Queen Maxima attach a serious diamond pendant (perhaps the one she used on the evening before the Dutch inauguration) to a pearl necklace to make a suitable necklace to accompany the Wurtemberg pearl and diamond tiara

Well, the Dutch Court Jeweller can easily (re)create a similar pearl collier as Queen Margrethe of Denmark wears here

Just use the buttons from the pearl buttons diadem, which are worn by Queen Beatrix here to connect it with one of the many diamond rivières and add the amazing large poiré pearls as worn by Princess Máxima here and voilà... a stunning collier with diamonds, pearl buttons and large poiré pearl pendants alike Queen Margrethe...

There is also another possibility for a stunning diamonds-and-pearls collier to go with the Württemberg Ornate Pearls Diadem. Take this diamond fish-net motif collier and add lots of pearl pendants. This is the impressive result on Queen Wilhelmina. (Click on that last picture for XL size).

:flowers:

The emerald tiara needs more prongs then then it has now. I whould add two more one at each side. A tiara i would also change is the Ears-of-wheat tiara. I find it looks always strange because there is not mutch at the front and the sides it becames so high.

Last edited:

They have also the three row pearl neklace with a beautiful clasp. And if they they then use the big diamond and pearl broosh in the full version this could also very well paired with the württemberg diamond and pearl tiara.

They have also the three row pearl neklace with a beautiful clasp. And if they they then use the big diamond and pearl broosh in the full version this could also very well paired with the württemberg diamond and pearl tiara.

Queen Máxima can go out like a Pearl Queen with wearing the Württemberg Ornate Pearls and Diamonds Diadem in full setting, that means: with all 11 upright poiré pearls. For the rest the same antique pearl collier, the Russian brooch with poiré pearls. In fact like on this picture but then with eleven upright pearls like here. That pearl collier is not spectacular but it's value is beyond belief.

When Queen Maxima wore the Wurtenberg Ornate tiara, due to her non poufy hairdo, this tiara was not straight on her Hair.

If she wears the Stuart Tiara , she has to ask the Queen of Sweden how to wear heavy tiaras......

When Queen Maxima wore the Wurtenberg Ornate tiara, due to her non poufy hairdo, this tiara was not straight on her Hair.

If she wears the Stuart Tiara , she has to ask the Queen of Sweden how to wear heavy tiaras......

Queen Silvia has thick, lush hair. Queen Máxima has very thin hair, so both ladies need different techniques. Queen Máxima has worn so many different diadems,: who has worn more than her? And most of them to perfection. Only the big Württemberg one seemed top-heavy. She could have repeated the hairstyle from April 30th 2013, which is the secret behind that diadem: http://metronieuws.tcdn.nl/styles/g...cea33f97df911ddc-1414022845.jpg?itok=LWWVYKCR.

The hairdo in Japan was not suitable for such a big diadem: the assymetric hairdo made the optical illusion worser that the diadem is toppling: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/10/29/1414606192714_wps_1_State_Dinner_in_the_Imper.jpg By the way, the look during the Investiuture was assymetrical as well, but the hair was swept the other way, to her right-hand side maybe a more "natural" look? In Japan the hair was swept to her left-hand side.

It can happen to the best. Even Queen Beatrix, with her bouffante hairdo, had to catch the (Sapphire Diadem) once, during a State Banquet in Portugal, because she felt it was sliding uncomfortably. A hofdame helped with a few extra pins. For Beatrix Perfectissimae it must have felt like horror and "not dignified" that her diadem was toppling. Most likely this is why she always wears her diadems so deep and so tilted backwards.

Last edited:
Well, she may have worn the most diademes (save QEII) but certainly not the most elegant ones. The Dutch collection ahs far too many prong tiaras IMHO (why they needed to add pearls to the emerald tiara I will never know). The triangular motive necklace as a tiara was a disaster too, though I would love to see it turned into a necklace again soon.

If we will ever get to see the Stuart tiara again I wonder if it will be in the old form or if they modernised it too. If they did I am sure they will have removed the biggest diamonds on top - including the Suart. Maybe that stone could be used as a brooch. It seems rather odd that nobody has worn the most important stone of the entire collection for over 40 years.

It is not only the diadem: what to think about the enormous diamond collier with the thickstone rectangular diamonds which has not been seen for decades either? The diadem from the Peacock Parure however is the proof that a piece can be hidden for decades. The diamond haircomb worn in Singapore was even not seen for a century (!) and the sun-ray motif diamond diadem worn by Princess Mabel actually was a monture with brown (!) diamonds. Never seen worn in that version... I actually like most diadems in the Dutch collection. The Burmese Ruby Tiara, the Brazilean Aquamarine Tiara, the Sapphire Tiara, the Wessex' wedding tiara and the Delhi Durbar tiara are really not competing for a prize in the "most beautiful tiara"-contest...

The triangular motif diamond diadem is a peculiar design indeed but the carat, the cut and the clarity of the diamonds are alrady blowing away many "fuller looking" diadems. The extremely open setting -all diamonds set on a wire- combined with the quality of the diamonds is a guarantee for a maximum of sparkle. Thát is the most important feature of a diamond headpiece, of course...

It is not only the diadem: what to think about the enormous diamond collier with the thickstone rectangular diamonds which has not been seen for decades either? The diadem from the Peacock Parure however is the proof that a piece can be hidden for decades. The diamond haircomb worn in Singapore was even not seen for a century (!) and the sun-ray motif diamond diadem worn by Princess Mabel actually was a monture with brown (!) diamonds. Never seen worn in that version... I actually like most diadems in the Dutch collection. The Burmese Ruby Tiara, the Brazilean Aquamarine Tiara, the Sapphire Tiara, the Wessex' wedding tiara and the Delhi Durbar tiara are really not competing for a prize in the "most beautiful tiara"-contest...

The triangular motif diamond diadem is a peculiar design indeed but the carat, the cut and the clarity of the diamonds are alrady blowing away many "fuller looking" diadems. The extremely open setting -all diamonds set on a wire- combined with the quality of the diamonds is a guarantee for a maximum of sparkle. Thát is the most important feature of a diamond headpiece, of course...

You are right, the necklace with the Stuart diamond parure is spectacular, I would love to see Maxima use it.

On the Benelux Royal Jewels Board a poster, John, had a great suggestion. For mysterious reasons the diadem created by the Dutch firm Van Kempen has been partly dismantled. Only the upper part still exists, this was last seem during an exhibition in the 1990's.

The poster had the idea to use the laurel wreath diadem as base (looks similar to the destroyed original base) and construct the upper part of the Van Kempen diadem on it.

That was an excellent idea...! Hopefully someone at the Court also reads this sort of forums and boards.

:lol: :flowers:

I would prefer to see it first without a diamond base, or they can make a small diamond one perhaps. The result will be simular to the pearl star tiara of Pss Benedikte:

Tiara Mania: Star & Pearl Tiara

Or if they still have the frame & the king is in a generous mood they could try to recreate the original design:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/441141725971768647/ But indeed, combining the laurel tiara with the remnants of the Van Kempen tiara makes sense as the V.K.tiara also had a laurel motif.

I find it rather curious over all these decades that nobody ever thought of using the diamond suns as brooches btw. Though maybe they are not detachable (something which could be changed). It would make a nice tiara indeed.

Last edited:
I would prefer to see it first without a diamond base, or they can make a small diamond one perhaps. The result will be simular to the pearl star tiara of Pss Benedikte:

Tiara Mania: Star & Pearl Tiara

Or if they still have the frame & the king is in a generous mood they could try to recreate the original design:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/441141725971768647/ But indeed, combining the laurel tiara with the remnants of the Van Kempen tiara makes sense as the V.K.tiara also had a laurel motif.

I find it rather curious over all these decades that nobody ever thought of using the diamond suns as brooches btw. Though maybe they are not detachable (something which could be changed). It would make a nice tiara indeed.

I agree about the sunburst stars. The front diamond starburst is quite big and reminds me of Queen Elizabeth's large star brooch. Strange indeed that, while the top part is complete, the stars were not used. Maybe -as you say- they are not detachable or not useful to be worn as broches.

:flowers:

All I have to say on the topic is, have faith on Maxima. She is the ultimate magpie. In time, she will get around to reorganising this. And if she does, she will do it spectacularly.

I can't say that I like the star tiara worn by Queen Emma. The base and the stars look so disconnected, as if two completely different jewels were popped one onto the other. And I can't imagine the stars popped onto the laurel wreath, it would have the same mismatched effect, or even worse.

The emrald tiara needs more prongs then the e it has now. I whould add two moe one at each side. A tiara i would also change is the Ears-of-wheat tiara. I find it looks always strange because there is not mutch at the front and the sides it becames so high.

I agree, at lest 2 more prongs for the emerald tiara, and perhaps a removable diamond base as well to give it some added height, not unlike the one on the Girls of GB & I tiara QE2 uses.

A worthy addition to Maxima's not inadequate jewellery box would be a turquoise and diamond parure, quite like the one used by Princess Margaret or the Duchess of Gloucester. I think the stones would go well with her personality.

At the recent exhibition on Queen Anna Paulovna of the Netherlands a set of jewels was seen, given by the generous Queen to (the daughter of) her Grandmastress, Justine Maria Wilhelmina Baroness Van Nagell born Juckema van Burmania, Baroness Rengers. A surprisingly modern looking diamond and amethysts parure from the first half of 1800. It was loaned to the exhibition by the late Douairière Willem-Frans Clifford Kocq van Breugel née Baroness Van Nagell.

I would not mind the King to puchase it for the Orange-Nassau collection: http://www.adelinnederland.nl/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Anna-Paulowna-1.jpg

Last edited:
I saw the set at the exhibition, it looked even better than on the photo.
It would be nice if the king would buy the set but I am not sure if it is for sale.

After the deaths of Jhr. Willem François Clifford de Kocq van Breugel two years ago and his wife Jeanne Bss van Nagell in 2007, their children have been busy trying to preserve the collection and make it accessable to the public. They donated some portraits of Nagell anscestors to the fund Gelderse Kastelen, which placed them in Castle De Schaffelaar. They also donated some family heirlooms to the Nairac museum. If they want to get rid of the jewels, it seems logical that they would approach the RF first.

Last edited:
These jewels are simply spectacular indeed. I only wonder about the pearls. I find it an odd combination, as if one has run out of money and used a strand of pearls.

http://www.adelinnederland.nl/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Anna-Paulowna-1.jpg

In addition to this post: the website Adel in Nederland (Nobility in the Netherlands) has an article which shows a portrait with this set of amethysts. As mentioned in the posts above, the amtehysts were given by Queen Anna Pavlovna of the Netherlands to (the daughter of) her Grandmastress, Baroness van Nagell.

See: Op stand aan de wand: barones Van Nagell en de amethisten van Koningin Anna Paulowna. - Adel in Nederland

The lady on the portrait is Simonette Marie Baroness van Nagell née Baroness van Haersolte van Haerst (1914-1990). On the portrait she wore it with more pearl strands, which resulted in a more complete look than on the exhibition. Also an aigrette with amethysts is worn in the hair of the Baroness. Looking to the functions, it is not so strange that Queen Anna was so generous, to give one of her parures:

Christien Jacques Adrien Baron van Nagell (1784-1883), Chamberlain of the King
x Justina Maria Wilhelmina Juckema van Burmania Baroness Rengers (1795-1863), Grandmastress of the Queen
= Justinus Egbert Hendrik Baron van Nagell

Justinus Egbert Hendrik Baron van Nagell (1825-1901), Crown Equerry of the King
x Sophia Barones Schimmelpenninck van der Oye (1828-1897), Dame du Palais of the Queen
= Anne Willem Jacob Joost Baron van Nagell

Anne Willem Jacob Joost Baron van Nagell (1851-1936)
x Johanna Magdalena Cornelia Baroness van Zuylen van Nievelt (1856-1934)
= Justinus Egbertus Baron van Nagell

Justinus Egbertus Baron van Nagell (1882-1963)
x Simonette Marie Baroness van Haersolte van Haerst (1814-1990)
=
Jeanne Linnie Alice Baroness van Nagell

Jeanne Linnie Alice Baroness van Nagell (1918-2007)
x Jonkheer Willem Francois Clifford Kocq van Breugel (1914-2015)
= their children own these jewels now

Last edited:
I think Max could do with a better emerald tiara than what she has. Rather than acquire a new one, I thought she could alter the Mallerio Ruby and Diamond tiara so that the rubies can be replaced with emeralds. The resultant tiara would have the wattage and presence that the existing emerald tiara lacks. The accompanying ruby and diamond collier could also be altered to allow for emeralds.
Any changes made should be on a reversible basis as the existing parure looks lovely as it is.

Another thought. Perhaps the Dutch aquamarine tiara could be altered to have drop amethysts as an alternative to the aquamarines, on a reversible basis.

Another thought. Perhaps the Dutch aquamarine tiara could be altered to have drop amethysts as an alternative to the aquamarines, on a reversible basis.

There areb also aqumarines in the base of the tiara. So would probably not possible as one would have to change the entire tiara.

There areb also aqumarines in the base of the tiara. So would probably not possible as one would have to change the entire tiara.

Fair point. Having said that, the aquamarines on the base are muted enough to not clash with something like amethysts. I would not suggest rubies or emeralds, but I think amethysts might work.

Last edited:
I suspect it would be easy to attach them to another base, maybe the pavlovnik pearl diadem of Queen Anna. But they don’ have a large collection of simular amethysts.

Last edited:
I think they need some more orange jewels. Maybe a set of fire opals could be acquired and made into five elements to replace the pearl buttons from time to time.

Can you think of any necklaces that would look smart on a tiara frame? I admit that I don't know so much about their necklace collection. But I find the smaller sapphire tiara quite successful.

Back
Top Bottom