Dutch Jewels: Suggested Changes and Alterations

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I suppose the peacock necklace could be put on a frame, but that will be of no use of course.

There is Maxima's new tutti fruit necklace, which seems to have a good shape for a tiara.

The honeycomb necklace was used as a tiara twice, by Q. Juliana and Pss Margriet, with mixed results.

Before Maxima it would have been sensible to convert elaborate devant corsages and bracelets into tiaras or bandeaus - as Queen Ingrid and the Lux RF did - but Maxima started wearing them again.

Queen Juliana once made a bandeau out of her (three?) diamond rose-brooches (for her wedding, as the Lippe family has a rose in its coat-of-arms). I think these brooches are in the private collection of Pss Beatrix. IIRC Juliana received these brooches when she was in her late teens/early twenties. She must have given them to Beatrix when she was around the same age. We have only seen them on Beatrix since, though she has not worn them very frequently these last years. It would be a charming 18th birthday present for the princess of Orange and even nicer if they made a bandeau out of them.

Last edited:
I auspect it would be easy to attach them to another base, maybe the pavlovnik pearl diadem of Queen Anna. But they don’ have a large collection of simular amethysts.

Thats right, the base of the antique pearl tiara could be used

I don't think that the honeycomb necklace was really set on a frame. In my eyes it look like the the necklace arrange on the hairstyle. In the case of Irene, I think that her big hairstyle supported the necklace, so that it stood up a bit. And in the case of Juliana it really looked strange, imho. With a proper frame to support the necklace, the effect might be better. But probably the honeycomb necklace really isn't suitable for that kind of experiment.

The tutti frutti necklace might look quite nice on a tiara. The rose brooches on the other hand are just not substantial enough to form a tiara. For Juliana's wedding it only worked because there were orange blossoms (?) to fill up the gaps between the brooches.

Do we think that Max needs a better sapphire and diamond necklace (for example, like the George VI necklace) to go with the large sapphire and diamond tiara? I know the small sapphire necklace tiara can be used with a pendant, but that to me is not the most elegant necklace.

I found this picture of P.Beatrix wearing a necklace with 5 flowers. I know it wouldnt be new but i think they could use the flowers as a third option for the Pearl Button/Star Tiara? I think Beatrix used them as Brooch too.

https://www.nationaalarchief.nl/ond...rinsessen Beatrix&f_Webwinkel[0]=Onbestelbaar
https://www.nationaalarchief.nl/ond...rinsessen Beatrix&f_Webwinkel[0]=Onbestelbaar
as brooch- https://www.nationaalarchief.nl/ond...rinsessen Beatrix&f_Webwinkel[0]=Onbestelbaar

Good idea, though I am not sure if the necklace still exists.

That tiara base also provides inspiration for any potential redesign of the Swedish button tiaras.

Afaik, those roses are detachable so they can be used as brooches and stuff. The question might be what the mechanism is to fix the buttons and stars on the frame, and if this is easily adaptable to those roses. But if it works, the looks of it might be great.

An article in Dutch with some photos of the Van Kempen tiara:

https://www.modekoninginmaxima.nl/m...n-colliers-broches/ligt-dit-onbekende-diadeem

On the bottom there is a clear photo of the smaller version of the tiara, which may still exist.

I could have sworn I had seen the tiara at an exhibition about Q. Wilhelmina 20 years ago or so but that is also clarified in the article: a replica was made for the occassion.

It would make a great and special starter tiara for Princess Amalia, if it still exists.

Queen Maxima has worn the Stuart Tiara in two versions with lesser diamonds, it would be interesting to know if she could change the big Diamonds with different stones, emeralds or Aquas for example (I'm not sure it would be pretty tbh)

https://www.gettyimages.de/detail/n...ueen-nachrichtenfoto/1233820816?adppopup=true
the emerald tiara, maybe she could add the middle and side emeralds into the stuart . Or the big emerald pedant of her necklace into the middle? https://i.pinimg.com/originals/69/d7/2a/69d72a0d5c7eaa1ba8447033a3afba9c.jpg
Maximas citrine brooch into the middle, instead of the stuart?
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/7c/e8/35/7ce8355992cd6fdd8b3acc29f7b281f5.jpg

The Ruby Peacock should have a new setting.

The Ruby Peacock should have a new setting.

I am not a big fan of the tiara, so how might you like to see it altered?

I am not a big fan of the tiara, so how might you like to see it altered?

The center, I think that the "peacock feathers" would be removable

I think that would leave a gaping hole in the middle of the tiara. But I agree, as it is the peacock tail seems too high. Maybe they could place diamonds and rubies of the peacock element closer together on a shorter frame.

-
Another tiara that could use a redesign are the ears of wheat. There must be able to do something else with it. Right now it looks rather unbalanced. It is especially a pity with the brides as much of the diamonds are hidden behind their veils.

There are other ears of wheat tiaras around where the ears are placed more to the front and less to the sides. It is a pity as the items themselves are have a nice history, coming from Grand Duchess Catherine Pavlovna, Queen of Württemberg.

The Laurel tiara itself may benifit from a different frame, like Queen Mathilde has for hers. Right now it does feel more like a headband than a tiara.

Last edited:
-
Another tiara that could use a redesign are the ears of wheat. There must be able to do something else with it. Right now it looks rather unbalanced. It is especially a pity with the brides as much of the diamonds are hidden behind their veils.

There are other ears of wheat tiaras around where the ears are placed more to the front and less to the sides. It is a pity as the items themselves are have a nice history, coming from Grand Duchess Catherine Pavlovna, Queen of Württemberg.

I agree. The ears-of-heat tiara urgendly needs urgendly a redesign or an re-arragnement of the ears. Wonder why Máxima never took action which this one. Perhaps she wasn't interested in it.

We also have not seen it beeing worn for several years. Perhaps when Alexia and Amalia start attending white-tie-Events.

Princess Margriet may have worn it a few times? But I have not been keeping track TBH.

It seems Amalia skipped the small tiaras all together, so perhaps this is left for Alexia and Ariane. Beatrix also never wore it. Taking it apart and redesigning it will not be a great loss as the present frame is only from the 70-ties.

if they could do something like the Hesse ears of wheat tiara or -even better- the CHaumet tiara of Empress Josephine that would be a great improvement. The present design simply never looked good on anybody.

Last edited:
I cannot claim to be a fan of the Dutch festoon necklace / tiara, and would not be too upset to see it reworked to provide the diamonds for a proper emerald and diamond tiara for the Dutch collection.

I cannot claim to be a fan of the Dutch festoon necklace / tiara, and would not be too upset to see it reworked to provide the diamonds for a proper emerald and diamond tiara for the Dutch collection.
As necklace it works but i think we have not seen it as these for s long time. But don't like it as tiara

I would like to see it as a necklace to judge fo myself. But that we have not seen it for such a long time may indicate we are not the only ones not being overly enthusiastic about the design.

The suggestion of taking those diamonds, which are substantial, and use it for a much needed newly created emerald tiara is something to get enthusiastic about. If only we could get our hands on the vaults. ;) Lately the Queen seems to be content playing with the Stuart tiara but let's hope she will focus on some other pieces soon as well.

And there should be something they can do with the diamond haircomb as well, which seems not to have a flexible frame and thus is difficult to wear.

They would only remove the peacock tail and leave the central piece in the tiara

Back
Top Bottom