Duchess of Cambridge: Future Tiaras and Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
a massive PR problem
Why in Gods name would it be ? Is it not HER property ? The woman with usufruct of it has been dead a very long time [longer than she had use of this tiara].

Actually the Queen wearing it might be the best way of ending the Fetishistic 'cult object' status that has become attached to this object [belonging to FAR more significant Windsor women], before the late Princess wore it.

Last edited:
I think people have to remember that the Lover's Knot Tiara did not belong to Diana. It was a loan from The Queen, who hadn't worn it since her younger days. Before that, Queen Mary wore it. There is nothing wrong with The Queen wearing it today but I think she's saving it for Catherine to wear. After all, she is third lady of the land and a future Queen herself. Yes, the comparisons with Catherine's late mother-in-law will come up but that's no reason not to wear it. It's a family heirloom and it should be worn.

It just seems that they made the decision themselves. You watch the films from back in the early days of the Queen's reign you see more tiara use at film premieres, etc. Now, there are hardly any. They don't wear them at weddings like the continental royals do.

Maybe it's that they are so uncomfortable?
Diana used to say that she always got a splitting headache from the Lover's Knot Tiara.

Lovely color on the Brazilian Tiara...she'd look smashing in it.

LaRae

Why in Gods name would it be ? Is it not HER property ? The woman with usufruct of it has been dead a very long time [longer than she had use of this tiara].

Actually the Queen wearing it might be the best way of ending the Fetishistic 'cult object' status that has become attached to this object [belonging to FAR more significant Windsor women], before the late Princess wore it.

Of course it's her property and she should be able to wear it. But I rather think that the Queen has had enough Diana headlines in her lifetime and would much prefer to avoid anything that might stir them up and give reporters an opportunity to rehash their relationship and every bit of gossip and innuendo that existed around it.

I don't think that she CAN'T wear it. I think that she won't, and that she chooses not to.

It was never a favorite of hers to begin with, and is apparently rather heavy and uncomfortable.

The Duchess of Cambridge should wear The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara while she is still Duchess of Cambridge and continue to wear it when she is Princess of Wales.

The Duchess of Cambridge should wear The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara while she is still Duchess of Cambridge and continue to wear it when she is Princess of Wales.

I agree. Dust off those Cambridge jewels and make them her own.

Plus, who invented this idea that this tiara is somehow associated in the minds of the public with Diana? Most Brits couldn't tell any of the RF's tiaras apart, they just see a royal in 'a tiara'. They don't think about who wore it previously or where it came from. Show 100 Britons a picture of the Cambridge Lovers Knot tiara and I'd bet 99 of them would never associate it specifically with Diana.

The DM et al would write an article about it and then it would be forgotten.

Place a picture of the Vladmir Tiara with pearl next to one of the Cambridge Lovers Knot Tiara and even the most diehard Di fans couldn't tell them apart.

Remove the pearls from both and you might even confuse the DM.

Do you mean Queen Mary's Lover's Knot Tiara?
Diana wore Queen Mary's Lover's Knot Tiara (it's official tiara's name). Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara was owned by Princess Augusta of Hesse, the Duchess of Cambridge and passed from Princess Augusta to her daughter Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Strelitz.

princess-augusta--z.jpg

I quite agree, Spheno! Queen Mary's lover's knot tiara was inspired by the similar tiara of the Duchess of Cambridge. But that's all the connection there is. Nevertheless that Cambridge name has been stuck to the tiara for years!

So far the present Duchess of Cambridge has only had two tiara appearances and she already has worn two different tiaras. That's rather unusual as eg. Sophie had to make do with her wedding tiara for years before she got access to a second royal tiara.

But then Catherine's wedding tiara had been loaned to the Cartier exhibition last year and it wasn't available when she needed a tiara for the Diplomatic reception. Imo it will take years before she'll wear a third tiara, maybe not before she'll be Princess of Wales. And then she may receive one of the Queen's tiaras, like the girls of Ireland and GB. That one would look stunning on Kate while it might look a bit fragile hidden in Camilla's hair.

As the Princess of Wales, I would love if Catherine wore the Delhi Durbar tiara. I know it's large, but Camilla did wear it a couple of years ago.

That tiara is really gorgeous! I'm still unsure whether that would suit Kate though

I hope QEII leaves the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara to Kate when she passes. Or preferebly to William to make sure it stays in the family in the sad event of a divorce. Camilla will have access to themwhole vault by then and that tiara suits Kate much better (in my eyes).

I hope QEII leaves the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara to Kate when she passes. Or preferebly to William to make sure it stays in the family in the sad event of a divorce. Camilla will have access to themwhole vault by then and that tiara suits Kate much better (in my eyes).

I love this tiara too. Camilla has great tiara head and she would look swell in TGOGBAI. I'd be interested to see it. But I bet I won't. My guess is that favorite of QEII might get a rest for a reign. It may not be seen again until Catherine is Queen. Just my guess.

I am sure QEIi will make sure all of her granddaughters and close female relations get a share of her personal jewels. Louise being so close will be ensured something nice, maybe a small tiara as a gift even if she will probably only use it for her wedding.A memento of granny.

QEII has a very large private jewel box and I'm sure she'll give something to all female members in her immediate family (children, grandchildren, great grandchildren and in laws) but I'm also sure that she'll make sure that the bigger and more important things stays in the main line and are not gifted away.

So all the granddaughters at least will get a nice haul with the best saved for Catherine and her potential daughters then?

Last edited:
So all the granddaughters at least will get a nice haul with the best saved for Catherine and her potential daughters then?

I'm not sure of that. The Windsors are tax savvy. The royal pieces belong to the crown. So, outright gifts may not be thick on the ground. Why give someone a jewel if they can't afford the tax on the piece?

I'm not even sure I think QEII is so controlling as to not leave decisions about loans for life to Charles. She's astute and frugal. She understands that outside of magpies like us, the glittery bits don't play an active role in modern society, beyond attracting the wrong sort of spouse.
I don't think at this age she's going to change her stripes all that much.

Her personal property is hers to give though.

I am sure she will leave all her significant jewellery (and The Girls is very significant) to Charles in a direct Sovereign to Sovereign transfer. At present the heir's wife has one tiara on permanent loan. We have seen her wear a second, once!

Catherine has one gifted and we have seen her wear another privately once, but she does not seem to care for significant jewellery much.

QEII has a very large private jewel box and I'm sure she'll give something to all female members in her immediate family (children, grandchildren, great grandchildren and in laws) but I'm also sure that she'll make sure that the bigger and more important things stays in the main line and are not gifted away.
I am sure that anything she designates for her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren, will either have been gifted (discreetly) already or she may leave it to Charles to carry out her wishes after her death.

Whatever happens, I think that The Girls may end up back in the vaults for a good period of time or, perhaps be used without the base and HM did when she was young and before they found the base again.

Last edited:
The young (York's and Wessex's) may get a little something, but it won't be anything big and serious. Especially, since they won't be attending any State Visits, Opening of Parliament, etc. The idea is to keep the jewels in the family and for the senior royals. Most likely Catherine will wear the family heirlooms. She's already starting to do so.

If she wants to give an expensive necklace of her own to Beatrice or minor but pretty tiara to Louise as gift just as grandmother to granddaughter it is her choice to do so.

During the wedding, it was stated the Halo Scroll tiara was loaned to Kate by the Queen. There isn't a need right now for Kate to actually own any of jewelry from the QEII right now. She will have full access to it all when William is King.

Camilla wears a lot of stuff from the Queen Mum. She may continue this after the Queen dies. That would open up the Queen's tiara for the new Princess of Wales.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

If she wants to give an expensive necklace of her own to Beatrice or minor but pretty tiara to Louise as gift just as grandmother to granddaughter it is her choice to do so.

I can see the Queen possibly leaving Louise one of the tiara's Sophie has 'borrowed', the aquamarine one Sophie's been wearing most recently isn't a significant piece to the Collection but might be a nice thing for Louise to have.

The majority (ie 99%) of the jewels in the Queens possession are not personal jewellery. They belong (for want of a better phrase) to the Monarchy which holds them in trust on behalf of the nation.

They are not HMQ's to give in perpetuity to anyone. Any jewellery, for example that Sophie currently has use of, will return to the monarchy on her death. None of it will go automatically to Louise or James' wife.

There are a few items that HMQ could consider as personal - ie the Bouquet brooch given when Charles was born - I think that might go to Anne.

Catherine will have access to all of the collection eventually. I think that she would look wonderful in some of the collars that Queen Mary wore. Strapless dress such as the black velvet and something like.......

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f...ewels/Russian20Kokoshnik20Tiara2C20Queen2.jpg

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc343/icrowndk/icrowndk-fr/31991a43.jpg

same as above

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c317/WKirkwood/UK/QueenMary6.jpg

The majority (ie 99%) of the jewels in the Queens possession are not personal jewellery. They belong (for want of a better phrase) to the Monarchy which holds them in trust on behalf of the nation.

They are not HMQ's to give in perpetuity to anyone. Any jewellery, for example that Sophie currently has use of, will return to the monarchy on her death. None of it will go automatically to Louise or James' wife.

There are a few items that HMQ could consider as personal - ie the Bouquet brooch given when Charles was born - I think that might go to Anne.

Catherine will have access to all of the collection eventually. I think that she would look wonderful in some of the collars that Queen Mary wore. Strapless dress such as the black velvet and something like.......

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f...ewels/Russian20Kokoshnik20Tiara2C20Queen2.jpg

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc343/icrowndk/icrowndk-fr/31991a43.jpg

same as above

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c317/WKirkwood/UK/QueenMary6.jpg

IMO you are incorrect. HM inherited the vast part of her collection from her Grandmother, Queen Mary. This was a personaly bequest. There are also the wedding gifts she received both from Queen Mary & other family members. These would also be considered personal items.

I really hope Catherine will wear the Strathmore Rose Tiara someday. I would not mind if she wears it for the first time as the Duchess of Cambridge, the Princess of Wales, or as Queen. I just want to see the tiara on anyone for the first time in many decades.

Back
Top Bottom