Duchess of Cambridge: Future Tiaras and Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That twitter account belongs to a royal producer/reporter with ITV news, so it's not just some random person. If you check her tweets, all of her info regarding the tour (dates, activities, etc) has been per the palace.

It's true that she'll travel with a hairdresser, but nobody from the royal palace will admit there's a tiara event until it happens. Prince Charles is paying for a freelance hairdresser, just like when they went to Canada.

I'd say a tiara is a pretty safe bet for the dinner in Malaysia. It seems that the Malaysian monarchy is big on decorations and lots of glitter. Personally I'm hoping to see something a bit bigger on display because with HRH's hairstyle, the Halo could get a bit lost. I wonder if the Queen would let her rifle through Queen Alexandra's section of the vault...

She has earrings to match the Halo tiara, so one would assume there were plans prior to the wedding for it to be her standard tiara until she "moves up in the ranks." I'd say, if we do get a tiara event (and I'm hoping we do), the chances of her wearing anything but the Halo are slim to none. I, for one, am excited to see it on her again as I think it's the perfect tiara for her and her status in the royal family at the moment.

It's true that she'll travel with a hairdresser, but nobody from the royal palace will admit there's a tiara event until it happens. Prince Charles is paying for a freelance hairdresser, just like when they went to Canada.
Kate did not have a freelance hairdresser on the Canadian trip, she had her (then) regular hairdresser - who she subsequently stopped going to:
Duchess of Cambridge's former hairdresser James Pryce bags Princess Beatrice and Eugenie as clients | Mail Online

And I say good move on her part - as I don't think James Pryce did a great job on her hair for the Canadian tour.

Kate stayed with the Richard Ward Salon (probably because her mother and sister still go) and since that time, we've seen a couple of nicely different hairstyles on Kate.

So she'll likely take a Richard Ward stylist, and hopefully we will see some nice hair on this next tour.

Last edited:
The Cambridge Lover's Knot has not been worn by The Queen since Diana's death, which leads me to believe the tiara is being kept with Diana's other jewels for William and Harry's wives.

Catherine reportedly did receive a tiara as a wedding gift and it apparently was not the Scroll Tiara, which she chose to wear as "something borrowed" on her wedding day. But who knows....we'll just have to wait and see what shows up!

The Cambridge Lover's Knot has not been worn by The Queen since Diana's death, which leads me to believe the tiara is being kept with Diana's other jewels for William and Harry's wives.

Catherine reportedly did receive a tiara as a wedding gift and it apparently was not the Scroll Tiara, which she chose to wear as "something borrowed" on her wedding day. But who knows....we'll just have to wait and see what shows up!

Then again, The Queen didn't wear it for a while before giving it to Diana.

Personally, I think the earrings being designed to match the Halo Tiara points to there being plans for a more long-term use.

HRHHermione said:
Me too actually. She's the only one in the family that could wear the Lover's Knot, and since the tour is something they really do want press attention on, that would be a guaranteed way to make sure of it.

It would be nice to see Kate wearing either one but how long till she receives a royal order to go with the tiara.

It would be nice to see Kate wearing either one but how long till she receives a royal order to go with the tiara.

A while, probably longer than when we get to see her in a tiara. Orders have to be earnt. Although when Charles becomes King she may receive one.

Lumutqueen said:
A while, probably longer than when we get to see her in a tiara. Orders have to be earnt. Although when Charles becomes King she may receive one.

I'd be surprised if she didn't get the royal family order before the end of the Queen's reign personally, although of course we can't know for sure until we see it.

Just wanted to clarify my previous post, to me the Halo tiara is the scroll tiara - here's a nice collection of pictures of it being worn in the past -
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Halo Scroll Tiara
Much as I'd like to see something new - if there's a tiara, I'm predicting this one and the matching earrings her parents gifted her.

Here's one I'd love to see, it's just gorgeous, IMO (but then I love bling.) I know it's too over the top for Catherine @ this pt. - still, one can dream and it does go w/ that sapphire ring.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-OqMDAFwBM...r-221-cVQkc/s1600/Greatest_Crown_Jewels12.jpg

Last edited:
I'm so excited to see a State Dinner on their agenda. Hopes are high for some major jewelry and a fantastic gown! Yay!

This is going to be so much fun to watch.

I'm very optimistic about tiara potential for this tour now that I've read the description on the Prince of Wales site. They do say repeatedly that the dinner in Singapore is to be a State Dinner and that Prince William will make an address on behalf of the Queen.

It certainly sounds like a white tie event.

Last edited by a moderator:
RoyalMess said:
Then again, The Queen didn't wear it for a while before giving it to Diana.

Personally, I think the earrings being designed to match the Halo Tiara points to there being plans for a more long-term use.

I think The Queen likely gave Catherine the tiara for her permanent use as it was sitting around for a long time. But maybe she is finally opening up the vault and gave her another one as well!

Thank you for the information. This is indeed something very exciting to look forward to. Like others here, I'm hoping for a tiara, or at least some fancy jewels to pop up at the banquets.

"In the evening, the Royal couple attend a State Dinner given by The President of Singapore at his official residence, the Istana. "

The Prince of Wales - A statement by Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton on The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's upcoming tour to Singapore, Malaysia, Solomon Islands and Tuvalu

Hmm...perhaps someone should update the Wikipedia definition of a State Dinner to include heads of state, or those representing them... :shifty:

It doesn't need to be updated. A Wikipedia article on State Dinners here:
State dinner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia was quoted a few pages back in this thread. You can stop reading when you get to the word "OR' (I bolded it for easier reference) as it is 1 of 2 conditions that must be met to be a 'state dinner'.
A state dinner is a dinner or banquet paid by a government and hosted by a head of state in his or her official residence in order to renew and celebrate diplomatic ties between the host country and the country of a foreign head of state or head of government who was issued an invitation.

It has been made clear in Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton's statement that:
Their Royal Highnesses visit Singapore and Malaysia on behalf of the British Government as guests of the two hosts countries;
thus the Cambridges are representing the country of a foreign head of state.

Last edited:
sndral said:
Just wanted to clarify my previous post, to me the Halo tiara is the scroll tiara - here's a nice collection of pictures of it being worn in the past -
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Halo Scroll Tiara
Much as I'd like to see something new - if there's a tiara, I'm predicting this one and the matching earrings her parents gifted her.

Here's one I'd love to see, it's just gorgeous, IMO (but then I love bling.) I know it's too over the top for Catherine @ this pt. - still, one can dream and it does go w/ that sapphire ring.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-OqMDAFwBMzU/TaM68pdj_dI/AAAAAAAAD20/r-221-cVQkc/s1600/Greatest_Crown_Jewels12.jpg

My dark horse guess after the Strathmore http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.com/2011/12/readers-top-15-tiaras-9-strathmore-rose.html
Would be the oriental circlet, both just seem to have a lighter more island feel http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.com/2012/03/tiara-thursday-oriental-circlet.html. Admittedly this is a substantial tiara. Although I think there is more chance of seeing Kate wear a major tiara on a tour on her than at a state dinner with other members of the BRF. I think when Kate is among HM, Camilla, even Anne she tries to show deference, in those circumstances, I think the Halo tiara is perfect - but on this jubilee tour hopefully we may get some surprises.

EEEEK!!! state dinner might we finally get to see the Duchess in a tiara?!! Sorry this is kinda OT but anyone know what kind of dinner the Prince and Late Princess of Wales had gone to when they danced together on the dance floor. I believe they did it 3 separate times. Were they state dinners? If so any chance we may see it with Wills and Kate we all know they love to dance.

Is one of those occasions when Diana danced with John Travolta? If so, I believe that was a dinner at the White House during the Reagan administration. Not sure if it was a State Banquet, though it very well may have been, and Diana was wearing what looked like the Cambridge Lovers Knot tiara.

She and Charles did it during the tour of New Zealand/Australia 83, Was it Australia 85 and one more I can't member she was in the blue and white dress in 88 I believe. But yeah also with John Travolta in 85 at the White House. I just can't member what exactly the event was. I do have the vids somewhere but it'd take a while to dig up.

Found one caption it said this:
Princess Diana and Prince Charles dancing together in Government House, Melbourne Australia in 1985
Suppose it was a ball then.

Just checked them the first 2 were balls and the last one was from the Bicentennial celebrations. Shoot now I gotta wait for a ball!!

Last edited:
Looks like we were talking about different (possible) state banquets. Anyhow, hopefully we'll see something like this on a tour that William and Catherine undertake (if not the one that's coming up, then one of the future ones).

Looks like we were talking about different (possible) state banquets. Anyhow, hopefully we'll see something like this on a tour that William and Catherine undertake (if not the one that's coming up, then one of the future ones).
I found the clips it was these:
Princess Diana dancing in Australia - YouTube
Princess Diana dancing w/Charles in Australia! - YouTube
SPECIAL/PRINCE & PRINCESS OF WALES IN AUSTRALIA | Archive Footage | ITN Source

Of course she also danced many times with other people such as Ronald Reagan, John Travolta, elderly men and hosts.

Not to rain on the parade, but given the destinations, I seriously doubt there will be any tiara occasions. However, I hope I am wrong.....

And why would you say that? Just because they are going to destinations that are considered primitive to some? Because there arent palaces like European royalty? Please explain, Im just curious.

Not to rain on the parade, but given the destinations, I seriously doubt there will be any tiara occasions. However, I hope I am wrong.....

It was announced that they will attend a State Dinner in Singapore and William will give an address as a representative of the Queen.

I'm not sure why you'd assume this would be anything less than white tie.

And why would you say that? Just because they are going to destinations that are considered primitive to some? Because there arent palaces like European royalty? Please explain, Im just curious.

:eek: "Primitive"? Ouch!
Well, it's probably because british royal family female members rarely bring out their tiaras nowsdays (except for the Queen). If Camilla didn't in her Scandinavian trip, I don't see how Catherine will.

Camilla did not attend any state dinners on her Scandinavia trip.

Edit: My apologies. It appears that they did, but it was a black tie event. It doesn't appear that it was as big a dinner as this one will be though.

The description sounds promising: In the evening, the Royal couple attend a State Dinner given by The President of Singapore at his official residence, the Istana. The Duke will review a Guard of Honour on their arrival at the Istana before Their Royal Highnesses pay official calls on the Prime Minister and the President of Singapore. Following these meetings, The Duke and Duchess will join a reception of guests invited to the State Dinner, before sitting down to the dinner itself. The Duke will be invited to give an address on behalf of The Queen at the State Dinner.

There is immense wealth in Singapore and Malaysia and the wealthy women have very substantial jewelry collections. A tiara event would not be out of question. None of the local ladies would look or feel insignificant no matter which tiara the Duchess would bring.

If there is indeed a tiara event, I think the official dinner in Malaysia is more likely to be it. Though I wonder what is difference between a State dinner (Singapore & Solomon Islands) and official dinner (Malaysia). And there is still a traditional dinner (Tuvalu):lol:.

Sorry I brought up the tiara thing but I got excited when I read the day to day itinerary :lol:

I did too, and so did a lot of others :flowers:

The discussion was related to the itinerary that was just released today for an upcoming tour, so it definitely was related to current events. I feel like we all try to be good members of the community and most of us try to be as respectful as possible of the boundaries set by the moderators on discussion, but within that we all have to use our judgment a bit- and I personally don't think there's anything wrong with limited discussion of these things as they relate to her current events.

But anyway- bring on the tour! I think this one is going to be special. Kate had a very good Olympics, she's become much more comfortable in her role, and it's going to be lovely watching them on this trip. Also, finally, new clothes!

:previous: Did we not hear that the Oriental Circlet was now in the possession of the Duchess of Cornwall? :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom