The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

People want to compare the two women but I think the only thing they have in common is that they are both tall. I really can't think of anything else they have in common but William.
One is dark, one fair,one is 10 years older when she came on the scene than the other, one went to University, one didn't, one had famously divorced parents, one has married parents, their figures are different, their use of jewelry, hair, etc and on and on...
I think I am probably missing the point...

Old 06-20-2012, 05:47 PM
Nobility

Prince William Will Inherit $15.5 Million on 30th Birthday - Yahoo! OMG! CA

This story indicates that William will come into his share of Diana's estate this week, and it has me wondering if that means we'll soon see Catherine in some of the personal jewellery that Diana received during her life. For example, I've been wondering about what happened to the aquamarine earrings that Charles gave Diana for their wedding.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:25 PM
Courtier

Interesting point. of course Diana's jewelry was valued as part of the estate - but I never thought of the jewelry being in a trust and not being able to be accessed. it would make sense with the boys being limited on disposing of assets - but using the assets? hmmm. will be curious to hear others comments on this subject.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:34 PM
Heir Apparent

I've always wondered how the jewellery is split between William and Harry. I've not seen any information about it and was really surprised when William gave Catherine the sapphire and diamond engagement ring. Presumably Harry and the Trustees must have agreed.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

It has always been maintained that Prince Harry received most of Diana's jewellery.
As for the engagement ring, I believe the brothers had an agreement that whoever gets engaged first, will present the ring to his bride.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post

It has always been maintained that Prince Harry received most of Diana's jewellery.
As for the engagement ring, I believe the brothers had an agreement that whoever gets engaged first, will present the ring to his bride.
Thank you Artemisia - but what does "been maintained" mean? Is it assumed? Or has it been written down somewhere. IMO I think that would be fair as William will have access to all of the Royal collection

Old 06-20-2012, 06:57 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

That information has been written in various news outlets, including pretty reputable ones (such as BBC or Guardian), so I would assume it (mostly) true.

Diana's will (which is public) stipulated that her estate (including stocks, cash, jewellery and other assets) should be held in trust to be shared equally between her two sons. The original age when the brothers were to gain full access was 25, but it was later changed to 30 (although they did have access to income from interest on the capital since they reached their 25th birthdays).

One of the more interesting provisions of the will was that the brothers could change the shares each were to get, allowing Prince Harry to eventually get the lion's share, since William is guaranteed to one day have a huge income from the Duchy of Cornwall.

Some of Diana's jewellery was, strictly speaking, not hears but loan from the Queen; they returned to the Crown. Most of her jewellery is kept in trust, some may have even been sold. After her death, William and Harry were allowed to choose keepsakes from her collection; Harry chose the ring, while William - her Cartier watch (again, according to reports). The brothers, however, agreed (presumably, later) that the engagement ring will belong to the one who gets engaged first.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:01 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that's such a civilized gentlemen's agreement about the ring.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:04 PM
Courtier

I think one of the interesing (and compassionate) points that I have read a few times is that William may change the terms of the trust and have Harry as the major beneficiary with the lion's share of the trust going to Harry. William will be financially covered for life once he becomes the Prince of Wales and inherits the income from the Duchy of Cornwall. The same reasoning that could apply to jewelry as well as the money. William will inherit or have full access to the crown jewels. While Harry's wife would obviously be close enough to the crown to borrow jewelry - there probably wouldnt be a sizeable ownership of jewelry except for those inherited or received on tours. It would make sense that a siginicant share of the jewels went to Harry.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:33 PM
Heir Apparent

William will inherit when he becomes Duke of Cornwall but that is not the same as the Prince of Wales. That title is separate and it is not inherited automatically.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:59 PM
Courtier

of course you are right - my mistake... I was thinking it was tied to the POW, but as it is the Duchy of Cornwall's estates it must be tied to the Duke of Cornwall title. thanks for catching that.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:53 AM

I like to see her adorned in some significant vault pieces as Duchess of Cambridge. Of course, the Cambridge emeralds. With her hair swept up, she would look fabulous in the tiara pieces. Also some of Queen Alexandra's pieces which have not been seen for along time. The Rundell tiara, Dagmar necklace (not sure if still in collection). Also her pearl parure. Hope to see her wear more of Queen Mary's smaller tiaras and dress ornaments.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:02 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolE27 View Post
Also some of Queen Alexandra's pieces which have not been seen for along time. The Rundell tiara, Dagmar necklace (not sure if still in collection).
The Dagmar necklace does still exist. HM has not worn it in some time but the last time it was worn without the cross and the two large pearl pendants.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolE27 View Post
I like to see her adorned in some significant vault pieces as Duchess of Cambridge. Of course, the Cambridge emeralds. With her hair swept up, she would look fabulous in the tiara pieces. Also some of Queen Alexandra's pieces which have not been seen for along time. The Rundell tiara, Dagmar necklace (not sure if still in collection). Also her pearl parure. Hope to see her wear more of Queen Mary's smaller tiaras and dress ornaments.
The Rundell, unfortunately, is no longer with the BRF. Queen Alexandra left it to her daughter, who subsequently sold it. This was only confirmed in the recently published book on the Queen's diamonds.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Aristocracy

i loved 2 c kate in the Queen Mary stomachers that would make my heart flutter
Old 07-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Nobility

I would like to see her in the Dutchess of Cambridge jewels. She should be allowed to wear them now. Emeralds look great on brunettes.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Heir Apparent

She'll have to wait for those rocks! Camilla will no doubt wear them in due course. And rightly so.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 07-05-2012, 03:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

But it goes so nicely with The Cambridge title!
Old 07-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Nobility

I am not saying she should have exclusive rights to them, but if she has some big even, she should be allowed. I gave my wife an emerald cut emerald surrounded by diamonds as her engagement ring, I like them. Larger stones are pricier than diamonds.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:53 PM
Heir Apparent

While it's nice to speculate as to what Catherine's future tiara's and jewellery may be, we might as well get used to the idea that if it isn't a "Command Performance" she's not going to wear any significant pieces and probably very few "real" pieces. That seems to be her preference.

We poor jewelaholics are just going to have to get used to it and hope that after her first "Command Performance" she gets to like the look and feel of the real deal!