Duchess of Cambridge: Future Tiaras and Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm a bit confused by your post;
A head of state does not have to be a monarch. When The Queen visited singapore their president (head of state) gave a state dinner in honour of The Queen. Similar to when The Queen visits the USA.

William and Catherine will be greeted by the heads of state of respective countries they visit, but they themselves are not heads of state.

Last edited by a moderator:
A 'state' dinner is where heads of state greet heads of state. As William is not yet King, this is not a state dinner. There will be a banquet on their visit similar to the ones Charles and Camilla have enjoyed.

But seeing as how they are representing the Queen, couldn't it still be considered a state dinner?

But seeing as how they are representing the Queen, couldn't it still be considered a state dinner?

Nope, as defined by wikipedia and somehow I doubt someone would edit or lie on an article about state dinners;

A state dinner is a dinner or banquet paid by a government and hosted by a head of state in his or her official residence in order to renew and celebrate diplomatic ties between the host country and the country of a foreign head of state or head of government who was issued an invitation

I'm a bit confused by your post;
A head of state does not have to be a monarch. When The Queen visited singapore their president (head of state) gave a state dinner in honour of The Queen. Similar to when The Queen visits the USA.

William and Catherine will be greeted by the heads of state of respective countries they visit, but they themselves are not heads of state.

Here is a photo of Diana at a state dinner in Australia in 1983. The Queen was not present.
Princess Diana - A Look Back at Princess Diana's Jewelry - Princess Diana Wearing the Spencer Tiara

Also, a state dinner is defined by Wikipedia (admittedly not the best source) State dinner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia as:
A state dinner is a dinner or banquet paid by a government and hosted by a head of state in his or her official residence in order to renew and celebrate diplomatic ties between the host country and the country of a foreign head of state or head of government who was issued an invitation. It may form part of a state visit or diplomatic conference. In many countries around the world, there are many different rules governed by protocol.
(note: bolding is mine)

So it appears, on the surface, that the definition of state dinner rests with the host country.

Although I do believe you are correct - in that unless protocol dictates it - we won't see Kate in a tiara. :flowers:

Last edited:
As The Princess of Wales we saw Diana in a tiara often, when Catherine is The Princess we will see her in more tiara's.

Your quote, which is the same as the one I posted, says that it's to celebrate ties between "the foreign head of state or head of government", neither of which William is. Also "it may form a part of a state visit", that's obvious. But this is a visit on behalf of The Queen, I wouldn't class it as a state visit, so no state dinner.

Have Camilla or Sophie worn tiaras at any dinners on any of their jubilee tours on behalf of the monarch this year? - that might lend a clue as to how interpreted.

Have Camilla or Sophie worn tiaras at any dinners on any of their jubilee tours on behalf of the monarch this year? - that might lend a clue as to how interpreted.

The visit to Canada for Camilla and Charles had no tiara event, they're due to make another tour in November to Australia, Papua New Guinea and New Zealand.

No tiara in Gibraltar for S&E, we didn't have a tiara in the Caribbean either but we did have a formal dinner with a very lovely gown. Sophie and Edward also have a trip to Canada around the same time William and Catherine are in the far east.

As The Princess of Wales we saw Diana in a tiara often, when Catherine is The Princess we will see her in more tiara's.

Your quote, which is the same as the one I posted, says that it's to celebrate ties between "the foreign head of state or head of government", neither of which William is. Also "it may form a part of a state visit", that's obvious. But this is a visit on behalf of The Queen, I wouldn't class it as a state visit, so no state dinner.

No, but William and Kate will be representing the country of a foreign head of state as in:
...renew and celebrate diplomatic ties between the host country and the country of a foreign head of state OR ...
:flowers:

No, but William and Kate will be representing the country of a foreign head of state as in:

:flowers:

Yes but the head of state for the visiting country isn't there, representing doesn't mean anything. As evident as we've seen Camilla and Sophie on visits abroad, with dinners, without tiaras. Seeing as this is a visit to Commonwealth Nations, rather than realms, I don't see any flash.

Last edited:
I think we are in a different era than when Diana was PoW. Once The Queen and princesses wore tiaras to the theatre, opera and film premieres. Today that does not happen. Tiara events in the UK today are pretty much limited to state visits hosted by The Queen. When Charles and Camilla visited Scandinavia, which normally bring out the tiaras for many events each year, the official dinners did not call for tiaras.
The Cambridge visit to Canada did not include any tiara events. The Solomon Islands and Tuvulu are rather small and impoverished nations so I don't see them hosting a tiara event. Malaysia is its own monarchy, and its consorts like to bring out their jewels, so I would put it at an outside possibility of hosting a tiara event but would not hold my breath for it either. The Cambridges are not heads of state, but are visiting Malaysia as part of the Commonwealth Jubilee Tour. Its not a state visit.

:previous: You bring up some very important points - the major point being that the host country defines the protocol for the visit. :flowers:

Well according to the Palace, we might get a tiara during this visit.

georgina brewer ‏@Georginaitv
Oh and one for fashionistas. Royal palace not ruling out kate in a tiara and she's got a private hairdresser (not James p) in royal party

Well according to the Palace, we might get a tiara during this visit.

I doubt that's according to the palace, someone's found out she's travelling with a hairdresser which she had in Canada, and put the royal palace as a 'source' to make it sound better.

The Malaysian Government and the Sultans and Sultanas may have decided to go "grand" in their welcoming a dynast of the House of Windsor and his newish bride in the year of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.
Let's just wait and see. :)

The Malaysian Government and the Sultans and Sultanas may have decided to go "grand" in their welcoming a dynast of the House of Windsor and his newish bride in the year of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.
Let's just wait and see. :)

especially since it sounds like they havent had royal visitors in quite a while... this may be their big royal photo op. tiaras for all!
:king: :queen4:

Well, I, for one, am hoping for a tiara (and predict if we see one it'll be the scroll w/ her wedding earrings.)
Does it make a difference that the POW site states that the visits to Singapore and Malaysia are on behalf of the British Government whereas the visits to the Soloman Islands and Tuvalu are on behalf of the Queen? Anyone know the reason for the different phrasing?

I doubt that's according to the palace, someone's found out she's travelling with a hairdresser which she had in Canada, and put the royal palace as a 'source' to make it sound better.

That twitter account belongs to a royal producer/reporter with ITV news, so it's not just some random person. If you check her tweets, all of her info regarding the tour (dates, activities, etc) has been per the palace.

Last edited:
If we see her in a tiara I predict...the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara or the Cartier Halo tiara!

If we see her in a tiara I predict...the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara or the Cartier Halo tiara!

Me too actually. She's the only one in the family that could wear the Lover's Knot, and since the tour is something they really do want press attention on, that would be a guaranteed way to make sure of it.

No Cambridge lovers Knot, not yet. One thing I dislike about William being given the dukedom of Cambridge.

No Cambridge lovers Knot, not yet. One thing I dislike about William being given the dukedom of Cambridge.

Do you think the tiara is too large for Kate, or do you think it's too soon in their marriage and people will draw immediate connections to Diana? Because that's going to happen whenever she wears it, whether in two weeks or two years...

I personally just miss that gorgeous tiara, and can't wait for her to place it on her head... I'll think of it as her unofficial "coronation" as the DUCHESS of CAMBRIDGE.

I think we may see something a little less structured than the lovers knot or even the Halo tiara. I am expecting maybe the Strathmore Rose with it's floral theme would fit in with the tropical feeling of this trip.

If a tiara does appear I expect it will be the Halo. Catherine is still a junior royal after all. If a new one does appear on her head I hope it is not the Cambridge Lovers Knot. In fact I hope she never appears in anything closely associated with Williams mother. Enough comparisons are made as it is without giving the DM and its ilk more ammunition to draw comparisons on.

If a tiara does appear I expect it will be the Halo. Catherine is still a junior royal after all. If a new one does appear on her head I hope it is not the Cambridge Lovers Knot. In fact I hope she never appears in anything closely associated with Williams mother. Enough comparisons are made as it is without giving the DM and its ilk more ammunition to draw comparisons on.
Never is a very long time:). William and Harry reportedly inherited their mother's personal jewelry, and it would be a crying shame if those beautiful pieces disappeared for decades. I'm thinking about her beautiful sapphires (the Saudi and Omani suites) her pearl and ruby choker and earrings, and that incredible (and versatile) diamond chain from the Saudi suite. There's nothing wrong with wearing family heirlooms, just the opposite in fact. It's a way to remember our loved ones. ANYONE William (and Harry in time) married would be compared to Diana, at least for a while. Hopefully Catherine and the future Princess Henry will be able to make enough of a mark on their own to get beyond that, even for the Daily Fail.

Do you think the tiara is too large for Kate, or do you think it's too soon in their marriage and people will draw immediate connections to Diana? Because that's going to happen whenever she wears it, whether in two weeks or two years...

I personally just miss that gorgeous tiara, and can't wait for her to place it on her head... I'll think of it as her unofficial "coronation" as the DUCHESS of CAMBRIDGE.

If she wears it, we don't know if we'll see it again on Catherine. If she got the ring, the future wife of Henry might get the tiara. Particularly as one day she'll have the entire vaults to herself.

I don't think it's too big for her, I'm one of those people who hates/will hate seeing Diana's jewels on Catherine. There's nothing wrong with family heirlooms, but in my mind these jewels are tainted and should stay away until Catherine has a daughter or when Henry marries.

I think for her first tiara event (aside from her wedding obviously), Kate would go for something light and simple. The Cambridge Lovers Knot is apparently not easy to wear, and has those pearls clinking all the time. I would understand if Kate were to decide to leave it for a time when she's more confident.

I'm sure she'd go for the Halo, which is beautiful, but more straight forward.

I actually think the association between Diana and the Lovers Knot tiara is hugely overstated. Show the man in the street a picture of that tiara, and I'll bet the vast majority would not link it to Diana. The DM would write an article with a pic of Diana wearing it should Kate decide to use it, but after that I don't think it would be all that noteworthy. It's not like, say, the Girls of GB&I or the George IV State Diadem, which are really synonymous with QEII.

This isn't so much a response to you as it is a good spot to hang this post.

What I want to know is why does nearly everybody want Kate to wear THAT tiara? There are others in the vaults that haven't been worn in decades. Some of them are (brace yourselves for possible heresy) prettier than the Cambridge Pretzel Tiara. I'd personally rather see the Strathmore or the Sapphire Bandeau make a comeback before the Cambridge.

On the slight chance that there is a tiara event on the upcoming tour, I think the Halo is the most likely bet.

I actually think the association between Diana and the Lovers Knot tiara is hugely overstated. Show the man in the street a picture of that tiara, and I'll bet the vast majority would not link it to Diana. The DM would write an article with a pic of Diana wearing it should Kate decide to use it, but after that I don't think it would be all that noteworthy. It's not like, say, the Girls of GB&I or the George IV State Diadem, which are really synonymous with QEII.

Possibly not the man in the street, but I think the Diana connection is probably the main reason so many royal jewel watchers want to see it on Kate.

Back
Top Bottom