The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-19-2012, 03:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Charles and Diana used to attend the State Opening didn't they? Maybe when Charles is King, William and Kate could revive that tradition and attend too. She'd very likely wear a tiara then.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:43 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Charles and Diana attended only a couple of State Openings, including one in their first year of marriage.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:46 PM
Courtier

Also Charles & Diana tended to have more white tie & tiara occasions on their royal tours; which may have been due to him being the heir to the throne. I dont know the protocol. If the Canadadian tour is any indication, Will & Kate tend to have more informal events on their tours.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:35 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
There are fewer and fewer tiara events in the UK as time passes.
I wonder why?
Old 05-21-2012, 04:15 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel

I wonder why?
It's not that common, the weddings in the UK for instance aren't tiara affairs like most European countries do.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:59 PM
Nobility

Still - after 1 year, we only had 1 tiara appearance by Catherine - disappointing
Old 05-22-2012, 02:47 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by countess felicitas
Still - after 1 year, we only had 1 tiara appearance by Catherine - disappointing
In what way is it disappointing? There have been no tiara events for her to attend.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Maybe she wears the halo tiara around the house while doing the washing up, or in the bedroom to spice things up a bit but she has not attended any white tie events that might require a tiara.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:12 PM
Heir Apparent

I guess we won't see any tiara wearing until she and William get bumped up in the succession, so I'll just assume she's breaking it at the house in the meantime.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:30 PM
Nobility

For the next few years, I think we will see her wear a tiara only on those occasions where wearing a tiara is de rigueur.

And I think she'll stick to wearing her wedding tiara, at least for several years.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
I guess we won't see any tiara wearing until she and William get bumped up in the succession, so I'll just assume she's breaking it at the house in the meantime.
I really think that from here on in, white tie events with the accompanying glitz and bling, are gradually fading away into history. As grand as the celebrations are for HM's Diamond Jubilee, 50 years ago there would have been a lot of glitz and glamor whereas now, we don't even see one white tie event on the agenda.

I agree that it probably will be when Wills and Kate are the Heir Apparent and consort is when we'll see Kate with a tiara again at a white tie state dinner and for all we know, those too could in time be slated as less formal events.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Yes, the Cambridge Lovers Knot tiara was given to Diana for use during her lifetime and was returned to the royal vault. Hopefully, we'll see it adorning Kate's head sometime in the future; although it's a likelihood, it's not a given.
It certainly goes with the title. She's also statuesque enough to pull it off. She's also 30 ish...IMO old enough to carry it off.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
It certainly goes with the title. She's also statuesque enough to pull it off. She's also 30 ish...IMO old enough to carry it off.
I guess if, as you are suggesting, the Lovers Knot tiara goes with the title of Princess of Wales, perhaps the current Princess of Wales should use it.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:31 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I guess if, as you are suggesting, the Lovers Knot tiara goes with the title of Princess of Wales, perhaps the current Princess of Wales should use it.
Ahem... It would cause an unimaginable uproar...
Old 06-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Cambridge. The Duchess of Cambridge. The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara. Must every single thing be about Camilla? Seriously.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:02 PM
Heir Apparent

I personally think after receiving Diana's engagement ring Catherine should stay as far away from any jewels associated with her mother in law for many years to come. Maybe after Catherine has firmly established her own identity, and sported some other family jewels, she could add a few of her mother inl aws but I would rather they wait for Harrys wife or just stay in the vault for another generation.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine
I personally think after receiving Diana's engagement ring Catherine should stay as far away from any jewels associated with her mother in law for many years to come. Maybe after Catherine has firmly established her own identity, and sported some other family jewels, she could add a few of her mother inl aws but I would rather they wait for Harrys wife or just stay in the vault for another generation.
Really? Isn't that taking one's dislike of a woman who has been dead 15 years a bit to the extreme. Catherine is obviously not threatened by wearing The Ring, so why not?
Old 06-08-2012, 06:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Really? Isn't that taking one's dislike of a woman who has been dead 15 years a bit to the extreme? Catherine is not threatened by The Ring, why shouldn't she wear the rest too?
Sorry if I'm butting in but I read NGalitzine's comments differently - probably because I agree with the sentiment. My reasons is that the Duchess of Cambridge is constantly being compared with Diana - particularly in the press media. Wearing Diana's jewellery will only increase this. She is better off, IMO, avoiding comparisons whilst she establishes herslef further.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Really? Isn't that taking one's dislike of a woman who has been dead 15 years a bit to the extreme. Catherine is obviously not threatened by wearing The Ring, so why not?
It has nothing at all to do with dislike of Diana. It has everything to do with peoples fixation with Diana and the need to constantly compare and contrast Catherine with Diana. I see no reason to give those people anything more to talk about.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Heir Apparent

As much as I don't want to see any item of jewelry left unworn in the vault because it's memorialized to its former wearer, Kate has to firmly establish her own identity so more incessant comparisons won't be made to Diana when she does start wearing more well-known pieces. The engagement ring and Diana's sapphire earrings are just a very slow introduction of some pieces currently, so I'm sure eventually when the timing is right we'll see more of the other lovely bijoux adorning Kate down the road. And I really would love to see the Lover's Knot on Kate's head someday along with other pieces.