Duchess of Cambridge: Future Tiaras and Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Charles and Diana used to attend the State Opening didn't they? Maybe when Charles is King, William and Kate could revive that tradition and attend too. She'd very likely wear a tiara then.

Charles and Diana attended only a couple of State Openings, including one in their first year of marriage.

Also Charles & Diana tended to have more white tie & tiara occasions on their royal tours; which may have been due to him being the heir to the throne. I dont know the protocol. If the Canadadian tour is any indication, Will & Kate tend to have more informal events on their tours.

Last edited:
duchessrachel said:
I wonder why?

It's not that common, the weddings in the UK for instance aren't tiara affairs like most European countries do.

countess felicitas said:
Still - after 1 year, we only had 1 tiara appearance by Catherine - disappointing ;)

In what way is it disappointing? There have been no tiara events for her to attend.

Maybe she wears the halo tiara around the house while doing the washing up, or in the bedroom to spice things up a bit:lol: but she has not attended any white tie events that might require a tiara.

I guess we won't see any tiara wearing until she and William get bumped up in the succession, so I'll just assume she's breaking it at the house in the meantime.

For the next few years, I think we will see her wear a tiara only on those occasions where wearing a tiara is de rigueur.

And I think she'll stick to wearing her wedding tiara, at least for several years.

I guess we won't see any tiara wearing until she and William get bumped up in the succession, so I'll just assume she's breaking it at the house in the meantime.

I really think that from here on in, white tie events with the accompanying glitz and bling, are gradually fading away into history. As grand as the celebrations are for HM's Diamond Jubilee, 50 years ago there would have been a lot of glitz and glamor whereas now, we don't even see one white tie event on the agenda.

I agree that it probably will be when Wills and Kate are the Heir Apparent and consort is when we'll see Kate with a tiara again at a white tie state dinner and for all we know, those too could in time be slated as less formal events.

Yes, the Cambridge Lovers Knot tiara was given to Diana for use during her lifetime and was returned to the royal vault. Hopefully, we'll see it adorning Kate's head sometime in the future; although it's a likelihood, it's not a given.
It certainly goes with the title. She's also statuesque enough to pull it off. She's also 30 ish...IMO old enough to carry it off.

It certainly goes with the title. She's also statuesque enough to pull it off. She's also 30 ish...IMO old enough to carry it off.

I guess if, as you are suggesting, the Lovers Knot tiara goes with the title of Princess of Wales, perhaps the current Princess of Wales should use it. :whistling:

I guess if, as you are suggesting, the Lovers Knot tiara goes with the title of Princess of Wales, perhaps the current Princess of Wales should use it. :whistling:

Ahem... It would cause an unimaginable uproar...:ROFLMAO:

Cambridge. The Duchess of Cambridge. The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara. Must every single thing be about Camilla? Seriously.

Last edited:
I personally think after receiving Diana's engagement ring Catherine should stay as far away from any jewels associated with her mother in law for many years to come. Maybe after Catherine has firmly established her own identity, and sported some other family jewels, she could add a few of her mother inl aws but I would rather they wait for Harrys wife or just stay in the vault for another generation.

NGalitzine said:
I personally think after receiving Diana's engagement ring Catherine should stay as far away from any jewels associated with her mother in law for many years to come. Maybe after Catherine has firmly established her own identity, and sported some other family jewels, she could add a few of her mother inl aws but I would rather they wait for Harrys wife or just stay in the vault for another generation.

Really? Isn't that taking one's dislike of a woman who has been dead 15 years a bit to the extreme. Catherine is obviously not threatened by wearing The Ring, so why not?

Really? Isn't that taking one's dislike of a woman who has been dead 15 years a bit to the extreme? Catherine is not threatened by The Ring, why shouldn't she wear the rest too?

Sorry if I'm butting in but I read NGalitzine's comments differently - probably because I agree with the sentiment. My reasons is that the Duchess of Cambridge is constantly being compared with Diana - particularly in the press media. Wearing Diana's jewellery will only increase this. She is better off, IMO, avoiding comparisons whilst she establishes herslef further.

Really? Isn't that taking one's dislike of a woman who has been dead 15 years a bit to the extreme. Catherine is obviously not threatened by wearing The Ring, so why not?

It has nothing at all to do with dislike of Diana. It has everything to do with peoples fixation with Diana and the need to constantly compare and contrast Catherine with Diana. I see no reason to give those people anything more to talk about.

As much as I don't want to see any item of jewelry left unworn in the vault because it's memorialized to its former wearer, Kate has to firmly establish her own identity so more incessant comparisons won't be made to Diana when she does start wearing more well-known pieces. The engagement ring and Diana's sapphire earrings are just a very slow introduction of some pieces currently, so I'm sure eventually when the timing is right we'll see more of the other lovely bijoux adorning Kate down the road. And I really would love to see the Lover's Knot on Kate's head someday along with other pieces.

Last edited:
People want to compare the two women but I think the only thing they have in common is that they are both tall. I really can't think of anything else they have in common but William.
One is dark, one fair,one is 10 years older when she came on the scene than the other, one went to University, one didn't, one had famously divorced parents, one has married parents, their figures are different, their use of jewelry, hair, etc and on and on...
I think I am probably missing the point...

Prince William Will Inherit $15.5 Million on 30th Birthday - Yahoo! OMG! CA

This story indicates that William will come into his share of Diana's estate this week, and it has me wondering if that means we'll soon see Catherine in some of the personal jewellery that Diana received during her life. For example, I've been wondering about what happened to the aquamarine earrings that Charles gave Diana for their wedding.

Interesting point. of course Diana's jewelry was valued as part of the estate - but I never thought of the jewelry being in a trust and not being able to be accessed. it would make sense with the boys being limited on disposing of assets - but using the assets? hmmm. will be curious to hear others comments on this subject.

I've always wondered how the jewellery is split between William and Harry. I've not seen any information about it and was really surprised when William gave Catherine the sapphire and diamond engagement ring. Presumably Harry and the Trustees must have agreed.

:previous:
It has always been maintained that Prince Harry received most of Diana's jewellery.
As for the engagement ring, I believe the brothers had an agreement that whoever gets engaged first, will present the ring to his bride.

:previous:
It has always been maintained that Prince Harry received most of Diana's jewellery.
As for the engagement ring, I believe the brothers had an agreement that whoever gets engaged first, will present the ring to his bride.

Thank you Artemisia - but what does "been maintained" mean? Is it assumed? Or has it been written down somewhere. IMO I think that would be fair as William will have access to all of the Royal collection

That information has been written in various news outlets, including pretty reputable ones (such as BBC or Guardian), so I would assume it (mostly) true.

Diana's will (which is public) stipulated that her estate (including stocks, cash, jewellery and other assets) should be held in trust to be shared equally between her two sons. The original age when the brothers were to gain full access was 25, but it was later changed to 30 (although they did have access to income from interest on the capital since they reached their 25th birthdays).

One of the more interesting provisions of the will was that the brothers could change the shares each were to get, allowing Prince Harry to eventually get the lion's share, since William is guaranteed to one day have a huge income from the Duchy of Cornwall.

Some of Diana's jewellery was, strictly speaking, not hears but loan from the Queen; they returned to the Crown. Most of her jewellery is kept in trust, some may have even been sold. After her death, William and Harry were allowed to choose keepsakes from her collection; Harry chose the ring, while William - her Cartier watch (again, according to reports). The brothers, however, agreed (presumably, later) that the engagement ring will belong to the one who gets engaged first.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that's such a civilized gentlemen's agreement about the ring.

I think one of the interesing (and compassionate) points that I have read a few times is that William may change the terms of the trust and have Harry as the major beneficiary with the lion's share of the trust going to Harry. William will be financially covered for life once he becomes the Prince of Wales and inherits the income from the Duchy of Cornwall. The same reasoning that could apply to jewelry as well as the money. William will inherit or have full access to the crown jewels. While Harry's wife would obviously be close enough to the crown to borrow jewelry - there probably wouldnt be a sizeable ownership of jewelry except for those inherited or received on tours. It would make sense that a siginicant share of the jewels went to Harry.

William will inherit when he becomes Duke of Cornwall but that is not the same as the Prince of Wales. That title is separate and it is not inherited automatically.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom