Duchess of Cambridge: Future Tiaras and Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with all the logic. But when it comes to Diana, alot of people are not acting logically. I personally do not feel or think those things. Diana died before I was even aware of royalty outside my fairytales. But I see why from a PR standpoint, avoiding the tiara for a while makes the most sense.

There would be no bad PR if Catherine wore the tiara, hernameispekka. Naturally, people would be reminded that Diana once wore the tiara, but they would also be reminded that Her Majesty and Queen Mary once wore it too. At the end of the day, it would be no major big deal or problem and everyone would move on. No matter if it's been 22 years, 32 or 42 years since the tiara was last worn, the history behind the tiara will always come up. So there's no use in waiting for future generations to wear it. That's the beauty about the royal family's jewel collection, it has history and that's worth showing off and telling.

There would be no bad PR if Catherine wore the tiara, hernameispekka. Naturally, people would be reminded that Diana once wore the tiara, but they would also be reminded that Her Majesty and Queen Mary once wore it too. At the end of the day, it would be no major big deal or problem and everyone would move on. No matter if it's been 22 years, 32 or 42 years since the tiara was last worn, the history behind the tiara will always come up. So there's no use in waiting for future generations to wear it. That's the beauty about the royal family's jewel collection, it has history and that's worth showing off and telling.
It wont? Kate is already being lynched at different sites for copying Diana and riding her coattails. I wouldn't wanna stir that pot more. They are also being accused of "snubbing" Harry by taking the ring and the name and leaving nothing for his future wife. Again, I don't agree with any of this, but I see it alot.

It wont? Kate is already being lynched at different sites for copying Diana and riding her coattails. I wouldn't wanna stir that pot more. They are also being accused of "snubbing" Harry by taking the ring and the name and leaving nothing for his future wife. Again, I don't agree with any of this, but I see it alot.

The royal family can't dictate their lives to what some people say on the internet. Diana had a great deal of jewels that she either bought, loaned to her or gifted to her. She left her own personal jewel collection for William and Harry to share with their wives, so there's plenty for Catherine and Harry's future wife to divide and play around with. The ring was rightfully given to Catherine and I don't think Harry had a problem with it. Just the folks on the net, and they don't count.

The royal family can't dictate their lives to what some people say on the internet. Diana had a great deal of jewels that she either bought, loaned to her or gifted to her. She left her own personal jewel collection for William and Harry to share with their wives, so there's plenty for Catherine and Harry's future wife to divide and play around with. The ring was rightfully given to Catherine and I don't think Harry had a problem with it. Just the folks on the net, and they don't count.
I agree with all the logic, you don't have to convince me on the points I'm saying other people are arguing. But since it's a rather common thing to see on the internet I think it's worthy to take into account. It would be another thing if they had only 2 tiaras. But they have a myriad of tiaras. I'd much rather she goes vault-digging than choose the one tiara that is bound to stir the pot.

Part of Queen Mary's collection for example actually ended up with collateral lines of the Windsor family like the Kents and Gloucesters.

The only safe way really to prevent items from being dispersed by inheritance would to be to transfer them from the Queen's personal collection to the Royal Collection Trust.
What about the ex-wife of Prince Joachim? She has kept the tiara that Queen Margrethe gave her. I wonder if that tiara will return to the danish royal collection vault someday.
The same applies to Princess Madeleine and her tiara, I wonder if it is her own tiara and will be passed down to her daughter and so on, OR it will return to the royal vault.
I think the best way to avoid the decrease of the royal collection vault is to give daughters-in-law or daughters who aren't heiress their own tiara (for example, the King and Queen of Sweden offered a brand new tiara for Sofia, so it belongs to only her and her future descendants)

What about the ex-wife of Prince Joachim? She has kept the tiara that Queen Margrethe gave her. I wonder if that tiara will return to the danish royal collection vault someday.

Alexandra kept the tiara because it was a wedding gift from her mother-in-law and she continues to wear it now and then. As for it returning to the royal vault one never knows but as long as it stays with her sons and their eventual future wife's it's still in the family.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

It seems like Queen Elizabeth doles out only one tiara to her female in-laws but allows switches, e.g., Camilla switching from the Delhi Durbar tiara to the Boucheron Honeycomb tiara, and therefore my money is on Kate wearing the Papyrus tiara, the one she wore to the diplomatic reception, assuming that she even attends the state dinner.

I agree. And i think she will have to wear it a few times and then it will probably not be seen as Diana's tiara. Look at for example the danish ruby Parure: It weas so closely associated with Queen ingrid because she was the only one who has worn it for over 60 yserars. But now it has became associated with mary as she has worn it on a regulary since her Wedding.
What went down between Diana and her marriage has nothing to do with the family tiara. I think this whole controversial idea is pretty much made up.
Stefan, I don't think you can compare the amazing history and sheer beauty of Queen Désirée's Ruby Parure (owned by Prince Frederik) to that of the Cambridge lovers Knot Tiara. It is beautiful yes, it is also reportedly both heavy and uncomfortable. And, like it or not, it is as iconic as Diana's pearl jacketed evening gown. Diana's tiara of choice is her family tiara, the Spencer tiara.

I just think folks need to sop making it seem like Diana was some bad omen and any family jewel associated with her should be kept at arms length for generations. I just think it's a shame that even in death she's treated badly. People should just stop doing that.

The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara is a beautiful piece of jewelry that's in the royal family collection. It should be worn whenever possible. Also, it hasn't been worn since the early 90's, it's been sitting in the vaults long enough.
I don't think there are any negative connotations with the Lovers Knot, it is just that Diana is the only tiara most people have seen wear it.

Finally, I cannot help but think it is way too big a tiara for Catherine to wear. She wears some of Diana's personal jewels but by no means does she wear anything but a small proportion and, apart from her engagement ring and earrings, nothing else. Harry's wife is going to need jewellery too and I cannot fathom the insistence that Catherine wear the Lovers Knot. Why not Harry's future wife.

Unfortunately I see your point.

If it's a too big tiara for Kate, couldn't that be said for Harry's wife too. They are both going to be sitting through the same state dinners. Plus Kate will most likely be attending opening of parliaments as the PoW that Harry's wife probably doesn't attend.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

This thread has been merged with the thread Duchess of Cambridge: BRF jewels we would like to see her use, since both threads cover the same topic.

Diana didn't like the lovers knot tiara and its provenance historically goes back to queen Mary who had it made based on one she like from her aunt Augusta (who was born a princess of Great Britain ) so in no disrespect to Diana , who didn't like it and barely wore it , she primarily wore her own family's spencer tiara. The tiara caused much acrimony between her and her brother during her life . It had been loaned to her at her wedding & during her lifetime by her father . It went back to the current lord spencer at Diana's death.

Imo the perfect tiara for HRH The Duchess of Cambridge Would have been Queen Victoria Diamond & Sapphire Tiara. The earl of Harewood needs to just offer the parure to HM as a 90 the bday gift.

When Diana died , Harry originally chose the engagement ring as a momento, and William a a $19,000 pound sterling tank francaise watch . They didn't exchange until later when William decided he was going to propose ,

Diana didn't like the lovers knot tiara and its provenance historically goes back to queen Mary who had it made based on one she like from her aunt Augusta (who was born a princess of Great Britain ) so in no disrespect to Diana , who didn't like it and barely wore it , she primarily wore her own family's spencer tiara. The tiara caused much acrimony between her and her brother during her life . It had been loaned to her at her wedding & during her lifetime by her father . It went back to the current lord spencer at Diana's death.

Imo the perfect tiara for HRH The Duchess of Cambridge Would have been Queen Victoria Diamond & Sapphire Tiara. The earl of Harewood needs to just offer the parure to HM as a 90 the bday gift.

When Diana died , Harry originally chose the engagement ring as a momento, and William a a $19,000 pound sterling tank francaise watch . They didn't exchange until later when William decided he was going to propose ,

I understood from Diana's will that William received her engagement ring and Harry her wedding dress.

Not according to Leslie fields , the expert , or an expert on the queens jewels, it's also online on the guardian

Last edited by a moderator:
I understood from Diana's will that William received her engagement ring and Harry her wedding dress.

Here
Princess Diana left her engagement ring to Prince William, and her iconic wedding gown to Prince Harry, her will revealed. The late royal’s will, which divided her assets to her two sons and a few family and friends, is now available online for just £10 [$19].
Read more: Princess Diana’s Will Reveals Princes William And Harry’s Inheritance, Now Available Online For $19

[..]
[..]
That sapphire tiara is absolutely beautiful, and it would be more than stunning to see it worn be Kate. But I disagree that the Harewoods should give it as a present to HM. Sorry, but I don't see why the (comparatively) poor relatives should give such a valuable item to their super-rich relative. Ok, the Harewoods aren't exactly starving, but they have children to provide for and who have a right to their inheritance. That said, I wouldn't mind if the Queen bought the tiara back. It is not just beautiful, but also of historical significance.:flowers:

According to the article , Diana wrote a seperate letter the day after she signed her will with some wishes regarding her personal belongings . This was not legally binding and her executors had it thrown out in court . Maybe this is where the difference in the two come in at

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

In my opinion a wedding gown is not much good to Harry. Unlike an expensive piece of jewellery it can't be given to a future fiancée. I doubt whether his bride will want to wear it at their wedding either. About the only thing Harry will be able to do with it is put it on display in future at Kensington Palace. I hope Diana's jewellery collection was divided more equably.

I've heard it I don't know how many times, and read, that Harry had posession of the ring but the boys had an agreement that whoever got engaged first got to use the ring.

LaRae

In my opinion a wedding gown is not much good to Harry. Unlike an expensive piece of jewellery it can't be given to a future fiancée. I doubt whether his bride will want to wear it at their wedding either. About the only thing Harry will be able to do with it is put it on display in future at Kensington Palace. I hope Diana's jewellery collection was divided more equably.
Well.. It can be used in exhibitions and such, and therefore bring him money? I don't know :p

I've heard it I don't know how many times, and read, that Harry had posession of the ring but the boys had an agreement that whoever got engaged first got to use the ring.

LaRae
I think that was the story the media ran with before the will became public. But I don't know for sure.

William talked about the ring during their engagement interview....I don't remember what all he said about it except the part about how he carried it around for awhile and worried about losing it.

LaRae

William talked about the ring during their engagement interview....I don't remember what all he said about it except the part about how he carried it around for awhile and worried about losing it.

LaRae
Yeah, I think that was about it. That he had it in his backpack and knew that if he lost it he would be in really big trouble.

Please keep in mind that this thread is about future jewels for the Duchess of Cambridge. The discussion about engagement can be continued in the Cambridge forum.

Hasn't The DOC recently worn the late Queen Mothers earrings? Perhaps we will see more jewellery being reworn by her?

I've always heard that Harry inherited the bulk of Diana's jewels, because she reasoned that William's wife would have a vast store to choose from, and so Diana wanted to even things out a bit.

That claim was made by the media before the will was released. They also claimed that Diana left Harry a much larger portion of her fortune for the same reason. Once the will became public showing an equal divide for her two sons the media quickly backtracked from their previous false stories.

In England last will and testaments become public property that one can buy a copy off.

Back
Top Bottom