The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-25-2012, 05:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Like I think it would be nice if Catherine wore The Cambridge Emerald Brooch on the official visit to Cambridge:
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...els/200132.jpg

There hasn't been a actual Duchess of Cambridge in decades so I think it would be nice if she at least wore The Cambridge Emeralds at some point.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:59 PM
Serene Highness

It would be nice, but I don't see it happening until Catherine becomes Princess of Wales. Charles inherited an enormous amount of the QM's jewels, and he has gifted a lot of it to Camilla.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, not everything has been given to Camilla and the jewels are loaned to several senior female members of the royal family. The Queen has the Cambridge Emeralds.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:05 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post
It would be nice, but I don't see it happening until Catherine becomes Princess of Wales. Charles inherited an enormous amount of the QM's jewels, and he has gifted a lot of it to Camilla.
I don't think Charles has actually inherited many substantial jewels from the Queen Mother.

To avoid taxes, the Queen Mother left most of her possessions (jewellery included) to the Queen since Sovereign to Sovereign transactions are exempt from taxes. Now, she may have privately advised her daughter which of her children/grandchildren/great-grandchildren may have a use of what, but at the end of the day, the Queen Mother's jewellery Camilla wore were, most probably, a loan from the Queen.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:12 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm think The Duchess of Cambridge wears a tiara for Christmas Dinner at Sandringham with The Queen and other female members of the royal family.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:39 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I'm think The Duchess of Cambridge wears a tiara for Christmas Dinner at Sandringham with The Queen and other female members of the royal family.
I think it too. And it would be wonderful to have some photos!

I was also thinking that Kate will surely have new jewels for the birth of her baby!
Old 04-10-2013, 02:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Just had a thought:

I looked at Princess Margaret's high oval Persian Turquoises Tiara: Golden Aged: Turquoise Parures of Queen Mary

I know the string of turquoise and pearl beads is now with Margaret's daughter, Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones but would it be nice if the tiara was given to Catherine and (if it's possible) she applied Diana's Saudi Sapphires to the tiara?
Old 04-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyend View Post
I think it too. And it would be wonderful to have some photos!

I was also thinking that Kate will surely have new jewels for the birth of her baby!

There was an article (can't find it right now) that was about the pregnancy. It stated that William had discussed (and received) permission from HM to have a parure made for Catherine to be given to her upon the birth of their first child. Supposedly, it was going to consist of a tiara, necklace, ring, and earrings, if I am remembering correctly.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

I highly doubt that. And if William was commissioning a parure for Catherine, he certainly doesn't need The Queen's permission to spend his own money, of which he has plenty.
Given the economy and sensitivity to the image of the royal family, I don't think Catherine is interested in dripping in jewels right now. She doesn't need them at the moment and will have the entire royal collection someday to choose from.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
Given the economy and sensitivity to the image of the royal family, I don't think Catherine is interested in dripping in jewels right now. She doesn't need them at the moment and will have the entire royal collection someday to choose from.
This is a woman that likes her closet and what is in there she'll use time and time again (I'm starting to think those black boots of hers will end up being like Charles' trusty old shoes of over 40 years) and she's also that way with pieces of jewelry that she has. Its rare to see her out with something she's not worn before and one piece I think she really likes for sentimental reasons is the diamond bracelet given to her by her father-in-law. If anyone knows Kate best, its William and the last thing I think he'd choose to get for her is a big bounty of baubles.

In time there will be the need for her to drip and sparkle but I really think that she will opt out for wearing what's already there. I really can see that Halo tiara being a favorite sentimental choice.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Not that I think a parure is in the offing - but Wiliam would discuss it with his Grandmother if he wanted to create a new set out of existing stones. It could be given to Catherine for lifetime use and revert to the crown - thus not infuriating the public with the acquisition of luxuries while avoiding tax issues with outright gifts. Just saying.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

William would never ask his grandmother for such a thing nor would it even enter his mind.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Heir Apparent

The Cartier Scroll Tiara is now at Catherine's use. She was given this tiara for her wedding most likely she will wear it again. I'm sure there are other jewels that Catherine can use. She have the Saudi Suite so I think she will put them to use.

At some point, I think once they become full time royals, Catherine will need a tiara and other jewels for State Banquets and other State events.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Even then until William becomes the heir, I can't see them attending many state banquets but we may well be surprised.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Well - if the Cambridges go to the inauguration of Willem-Alexander, we will see!

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Courtier

I would love to see her in the Cambridge lovers knot tiara as it has her title in it's name; it was worn by Diana and the "lovers knot" part of it's name is very romantic for a young married woman.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:33 PM
Heir Apparent

[QUOTE=angela;1538437]I would love to see her in the Cambridge lovers knot tiara as it has her title in it's name; it was worn by Diana and the "lovers knot" part of it's name is very romantic for a young married woman.[/QU

The more I look at Kate and the more I look at the Lover's Knot tiara the more I think it'd be one she would wear for a state occasion as a Princess of Wales and more or less expected. She seems to like to wear her hair down and loose and naturalistic and that wouldn't support the LK well.

TBH, I really don't see many occasions in the near future where she would even need a tiara. I'm thinking those days are gradually fading out.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:10 PM
Courtier

I'd be concerned that the Lovers Knot would be a bit overwhelming for Kate...it might wear here instead of her wearing it.

LaRae
Old 04-10-2013, 07:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
She have the Saudi Suite so I think she will put them to use.
Do we know for a fact that she actually has the suite?
Old 04-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

I read somewhere Catherine actually received another tiara as a wedding gift, but chose the Scroll Tiara to wear for her wedding day. I agree The Queen would certainly have offered the Cartier tiara for her future use, but it also could have been "something borrowed" and was returned.

We'll just have to wait and see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I'd be concerned that the Lovers Knot would be a bit overwhelming for Kate...it might wear here instead of her wearing it.
I agree. It's a big tiara and is said to be quite heavy. And Catherine has a smaller head than Diana did, so it might not work on her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Do we know for a fact that she actually has the suite?
Well, I'm sure the parure is available to her. It belongs to William and Harry now.