The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Majesty

I have never heard about The Double Mender Tiara-Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Re: Princess Anne

Looks like it's a tiara that's hardly every worn. Do anyone have more info on this tiara?

I agree I think it would be nice for Catherine.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

The double meander tiara was likely from the Greville bequest left to The Queen Mother. There were many jewels she inherited that she never wore or wore only once or twice.

The Queen Mother wasn't particularly interested in jewels and tended to wear the same pieces over and over again. Even the pieces she received from her husband, like the Aquamarine Pinecone Tiara and the Scroll Tiara, were rarely worn.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Re: The double meander tiara.

For me it all depends on it's current status. If the Queen gave it to Anne for her use till death - then I say it is Anne's decision. Anne is a far harder working royal (see the CC numbers Iluvbertie compiles) than the Cambridges. In this case it would be rotten to go to Anne and say "Hand it back because we have this lovely young thing that the public wants to see in the Meander Double."

On the other hand, if the loans to Anne were one-offs, then the decision would be the Queen's.

Finally - it could well be that this tiara does not appeal to Catherine. As usual, we will probably never know for sure.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Majesty

I don't think The Princess Royal would be asked to give back the tiara but these jewels are often borrowed by other royal ladies for big State Occasions and I think if Cathrine was offered a certain tiara, she might wear it.

From what I see, The Meander Tiara is hardly ever worn, even by Princess Anne. That's why I say, Catherine has so much to choose from jewelry wise. There are some pieces that haven't seen the light of day in decades. Catherine did do something that offer some hope for the future. She wore the Halo Tiara for her wedding. A tiara that haven't been seen since the young Duchess of York (Queen Mother) used to wear it. Along with Princess Margaret & Princess Anne.

I think it could be a sign tht Catherine will choose older pieces and things that haven't been seen in awhile.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well, Catherine has to wait in-line as she is not Queen Consort and Camilla will have access to the entire collection once Charles inherits it as the new Sovereign.

Most of these jewels are gifts to the recipent wearing them and can be disposed of by their heirs after their death. Some pieces are considered to be permanent loans and are returned to the Crown, such as the Lover's Knot Tiara and Cambridge Emerald Choker given to Princess Diana as wedding gifts.

Catherine will have plenty of jewels to choose from when the time comes.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Heir Apparent

There is no rush to load her up with jewels since she does not attend events which require them. She has no need for tiaras or grand parures from the royal collections.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Majesty

My posts are based on when HRH become a full-time member of the royal family and start attending many of the State events like State Banquets, Royal Reception for the Diplomatic Corps, etc.

I think The Teck Creseant Tiara would be nice for Catherine. Or The Cambridge Emeralds.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman
My posts are based on when HRH become a full-time member of the royal family and start attending many of the State events like State Banquets, Royal Reception for the Diplomatic Corps, etc.

I think The Teck Creseant Tiara would be nice for Catherine. Or The Cambridge Emeralds.
As are my posts.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:34 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Well, the Teck Creseant is loaned to Camilla so we won't see it on Kate for a long time. As for Cambridge emeralds, I strongly doubt we will ever see them on anyone but the Queen (Regnant or Consort) and possibly the Princess of Wales, so a bit of a long wait there too.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:29 AM
Royal Highness

Since the Duchess of Cornwall obviously prefers the honeycomb tiara over the Teck crescent, it might be possible that it will be loaned to someone else instead.

But for the time being Kate and William don't attend State Banqetts. And I'm pretty sure that she will wear the scroll tiara for her first batch of tiara appearance. So it's a long time till the family will make another decision about tiaras for Kate.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:59 PM
Majesty

Yes, it t's true that Catherine is young and elegant but she's she's the wife of the second in-line to the throne. She's in the position to wear some jewels. Perhaps not the ones that's only meant to be worn by The Queen at the moment but she too can wear some jewels.

I don't think anyone is trying to wear Catherine down with tons of jewels and think she should be decked out all the time. I'm just talking about the stuff that can be possibly passed down to her.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Since when is 30 years old too young to wear good jewelry?
Old 11-14-2012, 09:27 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckquinton View Post
Dman, I agree with padams2359. Catherine is young, she has a very elegant neck but now is not the time to wear jewels. She must prove she deserve them
And how would she do that? Hoes does one prove they deserve the jewelry?
Old 11-14-2012, 11:13 PM
Majesty

I don't know but she's at the best age to wear the royal heirlooms. The Queen don't wait to see if you deserve to wear the family jewels. I think just like the wedding, The Queen will help Catherine pick out things that work for her and to fit her personal taste.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:22 PM
Majesty

I think a nice starter tiara for Catherine could be The Queen Mother's bracelet that can also be worn as a bandeau. I think it would be a nice modern touch. http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ubracelets.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...MBertieMay.jpg
Old 11-25-2012, 05:28 PM
Serene Highness

I think this bandeau would like great on Catherine but as belonging to QM, its probably in the possession of the Duchess of Cornwall atm
Old 11-25-2012, 05:34 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I absolutely love bandeaus of any kind so am all for it.
Besides, a delicate piece like bandeau would be ideal for Kate given her age and position.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:46 PM
Majesty

The Duchess of Cornwall already have some things from The Queen Mother, then again some of this stuff is shared. It's a shame that a great deal of this stuff hasn't seen the light of day in years.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:47 PM
Majesty

The bracelets have some nice colors.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:50 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The Duchess of Cornwall already have some things from The Queen Mother, then again some of this stuff is shared. It's a shame that a great deal of this stuff hasn't seen the light of day in years.
Doubt Camilla has exclusive rights to the Queen Mother's jewellery; I'm pretty sure other royal ladies can wear pieces from her collection. After all, most of the Queen Mother's jewellery was inherited directly by the Queen and it is her who decided which lady wears what. So if she considers it appropriate for Kate to wear one of the Queen Mother's tiaras or other jewels, I doubt there would be issues.

Completely agree about the numerous jewels that just accumulate dust in the vaults.