The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-27-2012, 02:26 PM
Serene Highness

The Duchess of Cambridge wearing the Cambridge Emeralds would be amazing haha! Aren't there Cambridge Diamonds as well?

Old 09-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I think it also has to do with the pressure Parliament put on the royal household to contain costs. Why get out all the party pieces if a lot of the people at the party will just snub the effort?
I believe the other royals stopped attending after the reform of the House of Lords which dropped the hereditary peers as members. Charles (Duke of Cornwall), Richard (Duke of Gloucester) and Edward (Duke of Kent) no longer have seats in the House of Lords so no need for them or other royals to be in attendance.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:03 PM
Royal Highness

I do not feel Catherine will be remembered for her jewels yet.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:26 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I believe the other royals stopped attending after the reform of the House of Lords which dropped the hereditary peers as members. Charles (Duke of Cornwall), Richard (Duke of Gloucester) and Edward (Duke of Kent) no longer have seats in the House of Lords so no need for them or other royals to be in attendance.
I think that's a shame that happened.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:33 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
I do not feel Catherine will be remembered for her jewels yet.
Why should she be remembered for jewels that aren't hers? Of all the things to be remembered for, jewels aren't high on the list.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

I have to agree with Duke-of-Earl, I find non-princesses wearing tiaras before their actual marriage to a royal a tad odd.

If nothing else, Kate's building up the anticipation for her first tiara event. I think it speaks well of her that she hasn't dived head first into the significant jewel stash that she has available to her (William's share of Diana's jewels would be a considerable collection on its own). Some people like to imply that Kate married William for the status and the wealth; if that were the case, I think we'd have seen her in a heck of a lot more precious jewels than we have so far.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
The Duchess of Cambridge wearing the Cambridge Emeralds would be amazing haha! Aren't there Cambridge Diamonds as well?
There may be Cambridge Diamonds as well. I'm not expert on that though.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:24 AM
Nobility

There is time, and Catherine is young. The jewelry will come later. However, I think Camilla will blow the dust off of several large pieces and wear them. She will wear more as Queen Consort than the Queen wore through out her reign. Let's not forget, the Queen lived through the aftermath of WW2 where less was expected. Camilla lived through the 70's and 80's where more was more. I think Charles will want to see her in them.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Majesty

I don't know why people keep saying that Catherine is young. She's at the age now where it's the best time for her to wear some jewels.

I think the DELHI EMERALD PARURE would look great on Catherine. She has a very elegant long neck and I think she could carry off parures very well. I like the neclace she wore to the Millies Awards too. I think Catherine could also make the Teck Rose and Crescent Tiara her own too.

I'm just judging by the fact she wore a tiara to her wedding that haven't been seen in public in decades, she could wear more pieces that haven't been seen in decades.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:16 AM
Majesty

I think Catherine should explore The Teck Jewels:

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Teck Tiaras

These Tiara/Necklaces haven't been seen in a very long time.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:30 PM

That crescent tiara is one I really dislike. It can stay in the vaults, as far as I am concerned, historical provenance or not. Queen Mary had lots of other beautiful things to choose from, including some bandeaux, since Kate seems to like 'small and unobtrusive' when it comes to jewelry.

This necklace, on the other hand, the gift of the Sultan of Oman to Diana during the 1986 tour, would IMO be a perfect one for Kate.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lrlfj7K9Hf1qidgdg.jpg

Since this was gifted during a tour, does this go into the royal stash, instead of being considered Diana's personal property? What about her wedding gifts? Any of the fabulous sapphires she was given at that time would be logical to go with the earrings of Diana's Kate was already given.

Did William and Harry really only get one jewelry item each of their mother's? ( the engagement ring and Tank watch)
Old 10-22-2012, 02:47 PM
Heir Apparent

The Teck Rose and Crescent tiara is currently in the possesion of HRH The Duchess of Cornwall, although she has not been seen in public wearing it.
Since there are very few white tie and tiara events in the UK, save for state visits and the annual diplomatic reception, I think the Halo is good enough for Catherine for the time being. Maybe after they move to KP and start being regular attendees at these events it would be time to loan her another tiara, but the Halo seems in keeping with her status as the wife of the Queens grandson and with her own minimalistic taste in clothes and jewels.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:20 PM
Majesty

I'm think some of the jewels Diana had recieved from foreign Heads of State are in the royal vaults. Then I could be wrong. I think the things of Diana's estate has gone to her sons and for their wives.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
...I think the Halo is good enough for Catherine for the time being.
I think the Halo Tiara is on loan to Catherine for now on but I think their are other tiara's and jewels The Queen will loan to Catherine as well. I just mentioned the Teck Jewels because we don't see much of them in use so much. I know some say The Duchess of Cornwall has the Teck Rose and Crescent Tiara's but that don't mean they won't be given to Catherine to use from time to time. Camilla seems to be very interested in the other tiara's and jewels that The late Queen Mother wore more frequently.

I guess we just have to wait until the Cambridges start attending some of the State Banquets, the the annual Diplomatic Corps Receptions, and foreign State events to see Catherine use some of the jewels that's coming her way.

I do think the Teck Jewels would work perfect for Catherine though.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:49 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
T...I think the Halo is good enough for Catherine for the time being.
I agree. It is a beautiful piece and it does fit her very well.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I'm think some of the jewels Diana had recieved from foreign Heads of State are in the royal vaults. Then I could be wrong. I think the things of Diana's estate has gone to her sons and for their wives.
All of Diana's jewels were her personal property and do not belong to the Crown. The two royal pieces she received as wedding gifts, the Lover's Knot Tiara and the Cambridge Emerald Choker, belonged to The Queen and returned to the vault after Diana's death.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post

Agreed and I think an official portrait and a tiara event or two will help Catherine to look like a princess in the eyes of some who think she isn't 'royal' looking. (Daily Mail comment section)
I may just be getting impatient, but I wonder if Catherine will ever wear a tiara. She and William seem to want to exhibit a very approachable, down-to-earth image. I am just wondering when she has an occasion to wear a tiara if she will actually do it. It will be so disappointing if she does not and a waste of a lot of beautiful jewelry.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Catherine is the wife of a male-line grandson right now, albeit the eldest son of the heir, so she has less occasion to wear jewels since she is not expected to attend every state dinner at this point. Once she becomes the wife of the heir, she will do so.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Royal Highness

Well she will definitely wear one if protocol demands it - I'm thinking of event such as the Royal wedding last weekend - all the European royalty in attendance wore tiaras as would Kate had she attended. We just have to wait.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Commoner

Does anyone know if the Double Meander Tiara was loaned exclusively to the Princess Royal? I've only seen one blurry image of her wearing it. If not, I think that this would be a fine and suitable tiara for the Duchess of Cambridge. Perhaps a bit heavy but with the proper updo and a hairpiece it would be exquisite. Princess Mary of Denmark has a similar design and style aesthetic as Catherine and she has been known to wear some substantial pieces. ) here is the blurry picture with Princess Anne.