The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Aristocracy

The Lovers' Knot is definitely too closely associated with Diana to be seen any time soon and it probably is overrated but when all is said and done, if somebody offered it to me - I wouldn't turn it down!

Old 09-06-2012, 09:27 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marlboro View Post
The Lovers' Knot is definitely too closely associated with Diana to be seen any time soon and it probably is overrated but when all is said and done, if somebody offered it to me - I wouldn't turn it down!
I think that tiara is very lovely, but only to look at. It looks like it would be very heavy to wear for a long period of time.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Aristocracy

Wouldn't most of the tiaras with platinum bases be extremely heavy? I held a friends platinum and diamond wedding band and engagement ring the other day and was shocked at how much weight those two little rings possessed!
Old 09-08-2012, 02:01 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishsubject View Post
I do wonder if The Duchess of Cambridge will wear a tiara in Singapore or Malaysia, and that HM The Queen may loan her some of the other tiaras that used to be used by The Late Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother such as the Strathmore tiara, or the 1920's style baneau; or perhaps even the Indian tiara - as we have seen HRH The Duchess of Cornwall borrow the Delhi Durbar & the Boucheron tiara. I cannot imagine HM The Queen giving HRH The Duchess of Cambridge one of her tiaras that she uses frequently; yet I imagine if a tiara is worn at all it will be the halo tiara again :)
The Indian Tiara is part of the jewels bequethed by Queen Victoria to "future Queens". It remained with the Queen Mother after 1952 but it will probably only be worn now by The Queen during her lifetime. Personally, I would love to see the Opals reinstated.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:59 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincePatrick View Post
Wouldn't most of the tiaras with platinum bases be extremely heavy? I held a friends platinum and diamond wedding band and engagement ring the other day and was shocked at how much weight those two little rings possessed!
Platinum is heavy, but it's also strong so less of it is needed.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Majesty

I think the Teck Crescent Tiara would be perfect for Catherine. I think the tiara belonged to Queen Mary's mother, Princess Mary Adelaide, the Duchess of Teck.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:17 AM
Serene Highness

Well it appears to me at least, that the BRF just don't 'do' tiaras like they did in the past, outside of the most formal of state occasions. It may be a while longer before we see the Duchess of Cambridge in one. The BRF should take lessons from the Scandinavians on tiara wearing IMO.
Most people seem to think that a smaller and more delicate tiara is the way to go but because her tiara events may have years in between, I would like to see HRH wear something grand.
As far as the Lovers' Knot is concerned, I have no problem with it and the close association to Diana.
The sky didn't fall when the Duke gave HRH his mother's ring and I am always of the opinion that jewellery is for wearing and not for the vaults.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:49 AM
Majesty

Most likely the Duchess of Cambridge will wear a tiara when she and William decide to attend State Banquets, royal weddings, etc. I don't think we will have to wait too long though.

I think the British should bring some of that glamour back. I also think they should take more official portraits like they used to. It wouldn't hurt if they took some official portraits for their official website as well.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:58 AM
Serene Highness

Agree completely with the official portraits. It is a shame IMO that the BRF are toning down the glamour.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Majesty

I think sense the royal family are bringing the new generation of senior royals to the forefront, The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh, The Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall, The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Henry of Wales should take official protraits for the official Monarchy webiste and have it for their profile pictures as well.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:11 AM
Serene Highness

Agreed and I think an official portrait and a tiara event or two will help Catherine to look like a princess in the eyes of some who think she isn't 'royal' looking. (Daily Mail comment section)
Old 09-22-2012, 11:24 AM
Royal Highness

Kate won't became princess in people eyes only because she'll pose for portrait in gown and tiara. Only hard work and true devotion to charity can make her look more 'royal'. Sooner or later we will see her in tiara. Times have changed, work is now more important than glamour. I much prefer British or Spanish toned down events which make them more down-to-earth that over-the-top Danish celebrations.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:17 PM
Serene Highness

I know I'm in the minority on this but I want the Duchess of Cambridge and all royal ladies to wear tiaras as often as possible.
I still can't believe in an Olympic and Jubilee year celebrating HM's 60 years on the throne, there wasn't one tiara in sight.
I'm a monarchist to my fingertips and I want to see my royals on 'display' and that means for me at least, lots of tiara events for Catherine and just not during a state dinner every few years.
IMO, the women of the DRF and SRF look like princesses.

(Sorry if this comment is off topic)
Old 09-22-2012, 12:37 PM
Majesty

Well, although I don't think Catherine need to wear a tiara to look like a princess but it would be nice to see her in full regalia that help represent her status as a senoir member of the royal family.

The British royals regalia events are now down to State Baquets, Coronations, foreign royal weddings and the annual Diplomatic Corps Reception. Although this reception is held around November every year with many senior members of the royal family in attendence in full regalia, it pretty much go unnoticed in the media with no pictures.

There is a full regalia event coming up for the royal family, The State Visit by The President of Indonesia to the UK. It will take place next month.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:43 PM
Serene Highness

I think the Duchess of Cambridge would gain invaluable experience if she attends some state functions during HM's reign and not wait on Charles' reign.
I would LOVE for TRH to attend the inward State visit from Indonesia and for the Duchess to wear lots of bling and huge tiara but alas, they will probably be in Wales during the visit.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

From all I have read, tiaras can be painful to wear and can look silly without the right kind of tiara hair. So when the princes revert to wearing crowns all the time, I'll agree that princesses should share the pain.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:04 PM
Serene Highness

My first pick for a tiara on Catherine would be the Lovers' Knot and if not, then the Strathmore Rose.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Readers' Top 15 Tiaras: #9. The Strathmore Rose Tiara
Old 09-22-2012, 02:54 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
...I want the Duchess of Cambridge and all royal ladies to wear tiaras as often as possible.
I totally agree.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
...the annual Diplomatic Corps Reception. Although this reception is held around November every year with many senior members of the royal family in attendence in full regalia, it pretty much go unnoticed in the media with no pictures.
I imagine if William and Kate attended the Diplomatic Corps Reception it would not go unnoticed.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:30 PM
Serene Highness

I hope during the Christmas season, we will see HRH wear some new jewellery. ( I love her necklace from last year) Maybe the Prince of Wales or her husband the Duke will spoil her with jewels!