The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-01-2012, 12:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
Looks like we were talking about different (possible) state banquets. Anyhow, hopefully we'll see something like this on a tour that William and Catherine undertake (if not the one that's coming up, then one of the future ones).
I found the clips it was these:

SPECIAL/PRINCE & PRINCESS OF WALES IN AUSTRALIA | Archive Footage | ITN Source

Of course she also danced many times with other people such as Ronald Reagan, John Travolta, elderly men and hosts.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:36 AM
Aristocracy

Not to rain on the parade, but given the destinations, I seriously doubt there will be any tiara occasions. However, I hope I am wrong.....

Old 09-01-2012, 01:07 AM
Serene Highness

And why would you say that? Just because they are going to destinations that are considered primitive to some? Because there arent palaces like European royalty? Please explain, Im just curious.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrothead View Post
Not to rain on the parade, but given the destinations, I seriously doubt there will be any tiara occasions. However, I hope I am wrong.....
It was announced that they will attend a State Dinner in Singapore and William will give an address as a representative of the Queen.

I'm not sure why you'd assume this would be anything less than white tie.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:32 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
And why would you say that? Just because they are going to destinations that are considered primitive to some? Because there arent palaces like European royalty? Please explain, Im just curious.
"Primitive"? Ouch!
Well, it's probably because british royal family female members rarely bring out their tiaras nowsdays (except for the Queen). If Camilla didn't in her Scandinavian trip, I don't see how Catherine will.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Camilla did not attend any state dinners on her Scandinavia trip.

Edit: My apologies. It appears that they did, but it was a black tie event. It doesn't appear that it was as big a dinner as this one will be though.

The description sounds promising: In the evening, the Royal couple attend a State Dinner given by The President of Singapore at his official residence, the Istana. The Duke will review a Guard of Honour on their arrival at the Istana before Their Royal Highnesses pay official calls on the Prime Minister and the President of Singapore. Following these meetings, The Duke and Duchess will join a reception of guests invited to the State Dinner, before sitting down to the dinner itself. The Duke will be invited to give an address on behalf of The Queen at the State Dinner.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrothead View Post
There is immense wealth in Singapore and Malaysia and the wealthy women have very substantial jewelry collections. A tiara event would not be out of question. None of the local ladies would look or feel insignificant no matter which tiara the Duchess would bring.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:19 AM
Gentry

If there is indeed a tiara event, I think the official dinner in Malaysia is more likely to be it. Though I wonder what is difference between a State dinner (Singapore & Solomon Islands) and official dinner (Malaysia). And there is still a traditional dinner (Tuvalu).
Old 09-01-2012, 04:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Sorry I brought up the tiara thing but I got excited when I read the day to day itinerary
I did too, and so did a lot of others

The discussion was related to the itinerary that was just released today for an upcoming tour, so it definitely was related to current events. I feel like we all try to be good members of the community and most of us try to be as respectful as possible of the boundaries set by the moderators on discussion, but within that we all have to use our judgment a bit- and I personally don't think there's anything wrong with limited discussion of these things as they relate to her current events.

But anyway- bring on the tour! I think this one is going to be special. Kate had a very good Olympics, she's become much more comfortable in her role, and it's going to be lovely watching them on this trip. Also, finally, new clothes!
Old 09-01-2012, 05:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Did we not hear that the Oriental Circlet was now in the possession of the Duchess of Cornwall?
Old 09-01-2012, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Did we not hear that the Oriental Circlet was now in the possession of the Duchess of Cornwall?
The oriental Circlet was left by Queen Vicotoria to the crown to by worn by future Queens. It only remained the late Queen Mother until her death.
So i don't think Catherine will wear it before becoming Queen.
The teck crescent circlet is now on loan to the Duchess of Cornwall.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 09-01-2012, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
Does it make a difference that the POW site states that the visits to Singapore and Malaysia are on behalf of the British Government whereas the visits to the Soloman Islands and Tuvalu are on behalf of the Queen? Anyone know the reason for the different phrasing?
The different phrasing is due to the Queen being Head of State of the Solomon Islands and Head of State of Tuvalu.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:22 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree it would be very unusual to see Kate in a tiara on this trip. Without getting drawn into the definition of what constitutes a state trip, I have never seen Camilla or Sophie wear a tiara abroad, save for when C&C visited the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meetings in Uganda in 2007, or when Sophie has been at a European royal wedding where tiaras have been worn.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG
The tiara returned to the Crown after The Queen Mother's death and has since been worn by The Queen. It can only be worn by a Queen in right of the Crown per Queen Victoria's will.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I agree, it would be very unusual to see Kate in a tiara on this trip. Without getting drawn into the definition of what constitutes a state trip, I have never seen Camilla or Sophie wear a tiara abroad, save for when C&C visited the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meetings in Uganda in 2007, or when Sophie has been at a European royal wedding where tiaras have been worn.
Sophie has worn her Wedding tiara once in Canada 1 or 2 years after her Wedding.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 09-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
My dark horse guess after the Strathmore The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Readers' Top 15 Tiaras: #9. The Strathmore Rose Tiara
Would be the oriental circlet, both just seem to have a lighter more island feel The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Oriental Circlet.
Love the strathmore or the circlet...I vote yes either way!
Old 09-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
...I'm one of those people who hates/will hate seeing Diana's jewels on Catherine. There's nothing wrong with family heirlooms, but in my mind these jewels are tainted and should stay away until Catherine has a daughter or when Henry marries.
The use of "tainted" is an unfortunate choice of words.
There are jewels which may be associated with the late Diana but nonetheless they are Royal heirlooms and deserve to be passed on to be worn by the next generation of royal ladies.
It is a reality that the royal jewels worn by Diana have enhanced provenance due to the fact they were worn by a Princess of Wales. There is nothing to be gained by shying away from that fact or by burying those jewels for another generation or two.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
If she wears it, we don't know if we'll see it again on Catherine. If she got the ring, the future wife of Henry might get the tiara. Particularly as one day she'll have the entire vaults to herself.

I don't think it's too big for her, I'm one of those people who hates/will hate seeing Diana's jewels on Catherine. There's nothing wrong with family heirlooms, but in my mind these jewels are tainted and should stay away until Catherine has a daughter or when Henry marries.
I'm intrigued by what you mean by "tainted". And which jewels do you mean? Royal or those that were the personal property of Diana?
Do you mean because Diana wore them and they will always be associated with her? Or is it about Catherine?

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 09-01-2012, 07:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
The oriental Circlet was left by Queen Vicotoria to the crown to by worn by future Queens. It only remained the late Queen Mother until her death.
So i don't think Catherine will wear it before becoming Queen.
The teck crescent circlet is now on loan to the Duchess of Cornwall.
Sorry, I was getting my crescents and circlets mixed up! I knew which one I was thinking of but mixed the names.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Personally I think that as Kate and Wills are not yet full time working royals, until that time comes or William becomes heir apparent, I think the only tiara we will see on Kate is the Halo. I would imagine that the Queen lent that tiara to Kate for her wedding day and to wear should the occasion arise while William is still 3rd in line for the throne. There'll be plenty of opportunities for grander tiaras as time passes.