The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #261  
Old 09-01-2012, 12:35 AM
ghost_night554's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
Looks like we were talking about different (possible) state banquets. Anyhow, hopefully we'll see something like this on a tour that William and Catherine undertake (if not the one that's coming up, then one of the future ones).
I found the clips it was these:


SPECIAL/PRINCE & PRINCESS OF WALES IN AUSTRALIA | Archive Footage | ITN Source

Of course she also danced many times with other people such as Ronald Reagan, John Travolta, elderly men and hosts.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #262  
Old 09-01-2012, 12:36 AM
Parrothead's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 225
Not to rain on the parade, but given the destinations, I seriously doubt there will be any tiara occasions. However, I hope I am wrong.....
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #263  
Old 09-01-2012, 01:07 AM
LadyGabrielle's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: kapaa, United States
Posts: 1,151
And why would you say that? Just because they are going to destinations that are considered primitive to some? Because there arent palaces like European royalty? Please explain, Im just curious.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #264  
Old 09-01-2012, 01:29 AM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 2,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrothead View Post
Not to rain on the parade, but given the destinations, I seriously doubt there will be any tiara occasions. However, I hope I am wrong.....
It was announced that they will attend a State Dinner in Singapore and William will give an address as a representative of the Queen.

I'm not sure why you'd assume this would be anything less than white tie.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #265  
Old 09-01-2012, 01:32 AM
Hollie's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: heartlands, United States
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
And why would you say that? Just because they are going to destinations that are considered primitive to some? Because there arent palaces like European royalty? Please explain, Im just curious.
"Primitive"? Ouch!
Well, it's probably because british royal family female members rarely bring out their tiaras nowsdays (except for the Queen). If Camilla didn't in her Scandinavian trip, I don't see how Catherine will.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #266  
Old 09-01-2012, 01:34 AM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 2,065
Camilla did not attend any state dinners on her Scandinavia trip.

Edit: My apologies. It appears that they did, but it was a black tie event. It doesn't appear that it was as big a dinner as this one will be though.

The description sounds promising: In the evening, the Royal couple attend a State Dinner given by The President of Singapore at his official residence, the Istana. The Duke will review a Guard of Honour on their arrival at the Istana before Their Royal Highnesses pay official calls on the Prime Minister and the President of Singapore. Following these meetings, The Duke and Duchess will join a reception of guests invited to the State Dinner, before sitting down to the dinner itself. The Duke will be invited to give an address on behalf of The Queen at the State Dinner.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #267  
Old 09-01-2012, 01:44 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Francisco, United States
Posts: 2,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrothead View Post
Not to rain on the parade, but given the destinations, I seriously doubt there will be any tiara occasions. However, I hope I am wrong.....
There is immense wealth in Singapore and Malaysia and the wealthy women have very substantial jewelry collections. A tiara event would not be out of question. None of the local ladies would look or feel insignificant no matter which tiara the Duchess would bring.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #268  
Old 09-01-2012, 02:19 AM
Hollie's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: heartlands, United States
Posts: 73
If there is indeed a tiara event, I think the official dinner in Malaysia is more likely to be it. Though I wonder what is difference between a State dinner (Singapore & Solomon Islands) and official dinner (Malaysia). And there is still a traditional dinner (Tuvalu).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #269  
Old 09-01-2012, 04:12 AM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 2,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Sorry I brought up the tiara thing but I got excited when I read the day to day itinerary
I did too, and so did a lot of others

The discussion was related to the itinerary that was just released today for an upcoming tour, so it definitely was related to current events. I feel like we all try to be good members of the community and most of us try to be as respectful as possible of the boundaries set by the moderators on discussion, but within that we all have to use our judgment a bit- and I personally don't think there's anything wrong with limited discussion of these things as they relate to her current events.

But anyway- bring on the tour! I think this one is going to be special. Kate had a very good Olympics, she's become much more comfortable in her role, and it's going to be lovely watching them on this trip. Also, finally, new clothes!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #270  
Old 09-01-2012, 05:09 AM
MARG's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 4,165
Did we not hear that the Oriental Circlet was now in the possession of the Duchess of Cornwall?
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #271  
Old 09-01-2012, 05:51 AM
Stefan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Esslingen, Germany
Posts: 2,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Did we not hear that the Oriental Circlet was now in the possession of the Duchess of Cornwall?
The oriental Circlet was left by Queen Vicotoria to the crown to by worn by future Queens. It only remained the late Queen Mother until her death.
So i don't think Catherine will wear it before becoming Queen.
The teck crescent circlet is now on loan to the Duchess of Cornwall.
__________________
Stefan

Royal Travel and Events

Reply With Quote
  #272  
Old 09-01-2012, 09:59 AM
Warren's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
Does it make a difference that the POW site states that the visits to Singapore and Malaysia are on behalf of the British Government whereas the visits to the Soloman Islands and Tuvalu are on behalf of the Queen? Anyone know the reason for the different phrasing?
The different phrasing is due to the Queen being Head of State of the Solomon Islands and Head of State of Tuvalu.
__________________
Seeking information? Check out the extensive Royal A-Z
Reply With Quote
  #273  
Old 09-01-2012, 10:22 AM
muriel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,084
I agree it would be very unusual to see Kate in a tiara on this trip. Without getting drawn into the definition of what constitutes a state trip, I have never seen Camilla or Sophie wear a tiara abroad, save for when C&C visited the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meetings in Uganda in 2007, or when Sophie has been at a European royal wedding where tiaras have been worn.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #274  
Old 09-01-2012, 10:30 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG
Did we not hear that the Oriental Circlet was now in the possession of the Duchess of Cornwall?
The tiara returned to the Crown after The Queen Mother's death and has since been worn by The Queen. It can only be worn by a Queen in right of the Crown per Queen Victoria's will.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #275  
Old 09-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Stefan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Esslingen, Germany
Posts: 2,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I agree, it would be very unusual to see Kate in a tiara on this trip. Without getting drawn into the definition of what constitutes a state trip, I have never seen Camilla or Sophie wear a tiara abroad, save for when C&C visited the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meetings in Uganda in 2007, or when Sophie has been at a European royal wedding where tiaras have been worn.
Sophie has worn her Wedding tiara once in Canada 1 or 2 years after her Wedding.
__________________
Stefan

Royal Travel and Events

Reply With Quote
  #276  
Old 09-01-2012, 05:38 PM
scooter's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: katonah, United States
Posts: 2,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
My dark horse guess after the Strathmore The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Readers' Top 15 Tiaras: #9. The Strathmore Rose Tiara
Would be the oriental circlet, both just seem to have a lighter more island feel The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Oriental Circlet.
Love the strathmore or the circlet...I vote yes either way!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #277  
Old 09-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Warren's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
...I'm one of those people who hates/will hate seeing Diana's jewels on Catherine. There's nothing wrong with family heirlooms, but in my mind these jewels are tainted and should stay away until Catherine has a daughter or when Henry marries.
The use of "tainted" is an unfortunate choice of words.
There are jewels which may be associated with the late Diana but nonetheless they are Royal heirlooms and deserve to be passed on to be worn by the next generation of royal ladies.
It is a reality that the royal jewels worn by Diana have enhanced provenance due to the fact they were worn by a Princess of Wales. There is nothing to be gained by shying away from that fact or by burying those jewels for another generation or two.
__________________
Seeking information? Check out the extensive Royal A-Z
Reply With Quote
  #278  
Old 09-01-2012, 06:39 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
If she wears it, we don't know if we'll see it again on Catherine. If she got the ring, the future wife of Henry might get the tiara. Particularly as one day she'll have the entire vaults to herself.

I don't think it's too big for her, I'm one of those people who hates/will hate seeing Diana's jewels on Catherine. There's nothing wrong with family heirlooms, but in my mind these jewels are tainted and should stay away until Catherine has a daughter or when Henry marries.
I'm intrigued by what you mean by "tainted". And which jewels do you mean? Royal or those that were the personal property of Diana?
Do you mean because Diana wore them and they will always be associated with her? Or is it about Catherine?
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #279  
Old 09-01-2012, 07:04 PM
MARG's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 4,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
The oriental Circlet was left by Queen Vicotoria to the crown to by worn by future Queens. It only remained the late Queen Mother until her death.
So i don't think Catherine will wear it before becoming Queen.
The teck crescent circlet is now on loan to the Duchess of Cornwall.
Sorry, I was getting my crescents and circlets mixed up! I knew which one I was thinking of but mixed the names.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #280  
Old 09-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 3,970
Personally I think that as Kate and Wills are not yet full time working royals, until that time comes or William becomes heir apparent, I think the only tiara we will see on Kate is the Halo. I would imagine that the Queen lent that tiara to Kate for her wedding day and to wear should the occasion arise while William is still 3rd in line for the throne. There'll be plenty of opportunities for grander tiaras as time passes.
__________________

__________________
“We live in a world where we have to hide to make love, while violence is practiced in broad daylight.”
~~~ John Lennon ~~~
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth carl philip charlene crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit current events dutch royal history fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jewellery jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympic games olympics ottoman poland pom pregnancy president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess astrid princess beatrix princess charlene princess laurentien princess mabel princess madeleine princess marilene princess mary princess of asturias queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague visit wedding



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:47 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]