Duchess of Cambridge: Future Tiaras and Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The double meander tiara was likely from the Greville bequest left to The Queen Mother. There were many jewels she inherited that she never wore or wore only once or twice.

The Queen Mother wasn't particularly interested in jewels and tended to wear the same pieces over and over again. Even the pieces she received from her husband, like the Aquamarine Pinecone Tiara and the Scroll Tiara, were rarely worn.

Re: The double meander tiara.

For me it all depends on it's current status. If the Queen gave it to Anne for her use till death - then I say it is Anne's decision. Anne is a far harder working royal (see the CC numbers Iluvbertie compiles) than the Cambridges. In this case it would be rotten to go to Anne and say "Hand it back because we have this lovely young thing that the public wants to see in the Meander Double."

On the other hand, if the loans to Anne were one-offs, then the decision would be the Queen's.

Finally - it could well be that this tiara does not appeal to Catherine. As usual, we will probably never know for sure.

I don't think The Princess Royal would be asked to give back the tiara but these jewels are often borrowed by other royal ladies for big State Occasions and I think if Cathrine was offered a certain tiara, she might wear it.

From what I see, The Meander Tiara is hardly ever worn, even by Princess Anne. That's why I say, Catherine has so much to choose from jewelry wise. There are some pieces that haven't seen the light of day in decades. Catherine did do something that offer some hope for the future. She wore the Halo Tiara for her wedding. A tiara that haven't been seen since the young Duchess of York (Queen Mother) used to wear it. Along with Princess Margaret & Princess Anne.

I think it could be a sign tht Catherine will choose older pieces and things that haven't been seen in awhile.

Well, Catherine has to wait in-line as she is not Queen Consort and Camilla will have access to the entire collection once Charles inherits it as the new Sovereign.

Most of these jewels are gifts to the recipent wearing them and can be disposed of by their heirs after their death. Some pieces are considered to be permanent loans and are returned to the Crown, such as the Lover's Knot Tiara and Cambridge Emerald Choker given to Princess Diana as wedding gifts.

Catherine will have plenty of jewels to choose from when the time comes.

There is no rush to load her up with jewels since she does not attend events which require them. She has no need for tiaras or grand parures from the royal collections.

My posts are based on when HRH become a full-time member of the royal family and start attending many of the State events like State Banquets, Royal Reception for the Diplomatic Corps, etc.

I think The Teck Creseant Tiara would be nice for Catherine. Or The Cambridge Emeralds.

Dman said:
My posts are based on when HRH become a full-time member of the royal family and start attending many of the State events like State Banquets, Royal Reception for the Diplomatic Corps, etc.

I think The Teck Creseant Tiara would be nice for Catherine. Or The Cambridge Emeralds.
As are my posts.

Well, the Teck Creseant is loaned to Camilla so we won't see it on Kate for a long time. As for Cambridge emeralds, I strongly doubt we will ever see them on anyone but the Queen (Regnant or Consort) and possibly the Princess of Wales, so a bit of a long wait there too.

Since the Duchess of Cornwall obviously prefers the honeycomb tiara over the Teck crescent, it might be possible that it will be loaned to someone else instead.

But for the time being Kate and William don't attend State Banqetts. And I'm pretty sure that she will wear the scroll tiara for her first batch of tiara appearance. So it's a long time till the family will make another decision about tiaras for Kate.

Yes, it t's true that Catherine is young and elegant but she's she's the wife of the second in-line to the throne. She's in the position to wear some jewels. Perhaps not the ones that's only meant to be worn by The Queen at the moment but she too can wear some jewels.

I don't think anyone is trying to wear Catherine down with tons of jewels and think she should be decked out all the time. I'm just talking about the stuff that can be possibly passed down to her.

Since when is 30 years old too young to wear good jewelry?

Dman, I agree with padams2359. Catherine is young, she has a very elegant neck but now is not the time to wear jewels. She must prove she deserve them

And how would she do that? Hoes does one prove they deserve the jewelry?

Last edited:
I don't know but she's at the best age to wear the royal heirlooms. The Queen don't wait to see if you deserve to wear the family jewels. I think just like the wedding, The Queen will help Catherine pick out things that work for her and to fit her personal taste.

I think this bandeau would like great on Catherine but as belonging to QM, its probably in the possession of the Duchess of Cornwall atm

Last edited:
I absolutely love bandeaus of any kind so am all for it.
Besides, a delicate piece like bandeau would be ideal for Kate given her age and position.

The Duchess of Cornwall already have some things from The Queen Mother, then again some of this stuff is shared. It's a shame that a great deal of this stuff hasn't seen the light of day in years.

The bracelets have some nice colors.

The Duchess of Cornwall already have some things from The Queen Mother, then again some of this stuff is shared. It's a shame that a great deal of this stuff hasn't seen the light of day in years.
Doubt Camilla has exclusive rights to the Queen Mother's jewellery; I'm pretty sure other royal ladies can wear pieces from her collection. After all, most of the Queen Mother's jewellery was inherited directly by the Queen and it is her who decided which lady wears what. So if she considers it appropriate for Kate to wear one of the Queen Mother's tiaras or other jewels, I doubt there would be issues.

Completely agree about the numerous jewels that just accumulate dust in the vaults.

It would be nice, but I don't see it happening until Catherine becomes Princess of Wales. Charles inherited an enormous amount of the QM's jewels, and he has gifted a lot of it to Camilla. :whistling:

Well, not everything has been given to Camilla and the jewels are loaned to several senior female members of the royal family. The Queen has the Cambridge Emeralds.

It would be nice, but I don't see it happening until Catherine becomes Princess of Wales. Charles inherited an enormous amount of the QM's jewels, and he has gifted a lot of it to Camilla. :whistling:
I don't think Charles has actually inherited many substantial jewels from the Queen Mother.

To avoid taxes, the Queen Mother left most of her possessions (jewellery included) to the Queen since Sovereign to Sovereign transactions are exempt from taxes. Now, she may have privately advised her daughter which of her children/grandchildren/great-grandchildren may have a use of what, but at the end of the day, the Queen Mother's jewellery Camilla wore were, most probably, a loan from the Queen.

I'm think The Duchess of Cambridge wears a tiara for Christmas Dinner at Sandringham with The Queen and other female members of the royal family.

I'm think The Duchess of Cambridge wears a tiara for Christmas Dinner at Sandringham with The Queen and other female members of the royal family.
I think it too. And it would be wonderful to have some photos!

I was also thinking that Kate will surely have new jewels for the birth of her baby!

Just had a thought:

I looked at Princess Margaret's high oval Persian Turquoises Tiara: Golden Aged: Turquoise Parures of Queen Mary

I know the string of turquoise and pearl beads is now with Margaret's daughter, Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones but would it be nice if the tiara was given to Catherine and (if it's possible) she applied Diana's Saudi Sapphires to the tiara?

I think it too. And it would be wonderful to have some photos!

I was also thinking that Kate will surely have new jewels for the birth of her baby!

There was an article (can't find it right now) that was about the pregnancy. It stated that William had discussed (and received) permission from HM to have a parure made for Catherine to be given to her upon the birth of their first child. Supposedly, it was going to consist of a tiara, necklace, ring, and earrings, if I am remembering correctly.

I highly doubt that. And if William was commissioning a parure for Catherine, he certainly doesn't need The Queen's permission to spend his own money, of which he has plenty.
Given the economy and sensitivity to the image of the royal family, I don't think Catherine is interested in dripping in jewels right now. She doesn't need them at the moment and will have the entire royal collection someday to choose from.

Last edited by a moderator:
Given the economy and sensitivity to the image of the royal family, I don't think Catherine is interested in dripping in jewels right now. She doesn't need them at the moment and will have the entire royal collection someday to choose from.

This is a woman that likes her closet and what is in there she'll use time and time again (I'm starting to think those black boots of hers will end up being like Charles' trusty old shoes of over 40 years) and she's also that way with pieces of jewelry that she has. Its rare to see her out with something she's not worn before and one piece I think she really likes for sentimental reasons is the diamond bracelet given to her by her father-in-law. If anyone knows Kate best, its William and the last thing I think he'd choose to get for her is a big bounty of baubles.

In time there will be the need for her to drip and sparkle but I really think that she will opt out for wearing what's already there. I really can see that Halo tiara being a favorite sentimental choice. :)

Back
Top Bottom