The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-31-2012, 08:35 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
That twitter account belongs to a royal producer/reporter with ITV news, so it's not just some random person. If you check her tweets, all of her info regarding the tour (dates, activities, etc) has been per the palace.
It's true that she'll travel with a hairdresser, but nobody from the royal palace will admit there's a tiara event until it happens. Prince Charles is paying for a freelance hairdresser, just like when they went to Canada.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:53 AM

I'd say a tiara is a pretty safe bet for the dinner in Malaysia. It seems that the Malaysian monarchy is big on decorations and lots of glitter. Personally I'm hoping to see something a bit bigger on display because with HRH's hairstyle, the Halo could get a bit lost. I wonder if the Queen would let her rifle through Queen Alexandra's section of the vault...

Old 08-31-2012, 09:08 AM

She has earrings to match the Halo tiara, so one would assume there were plans prior to the wedding for it to be her standard tiara until she "moves up in the ranks." I'd say, if we do get a tiara event (and I'm hoping we do), the chances of her wearing anything but the Halo are slim to none. I, for one, am excited to see it on her again as I think it's the perfect tiara for her and her status in the royal family at the moment.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:32 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
It's true that she'll travel with a hairdresser, but nobody from the royal palace will admit there's a tiara event until it happens. Prince Charles is paying for a freelance hairdresser, just like when they went to Canada.
Kate did not have a freelance hairdresser on the Canadian trip, she had her (then) regular hairdresser - who she subsequently stopped going to:
Duchess of Cambridge's former hairdresser James Pryce bags Princess Beatrice and Eugenie as clients | Mail Online

And I say good move on her part - as I don't think James Pryce did a great job on her hair for the Canadian tour.

Kate stayed with the Richard Ward Salon (probably because her mother and sister still go) and since that time, we've seen a couple of nicely different hairstyles on Kate.

So she'll likely take a Richard Ward stylist, and hopefully we will see some nice hair on this next tour.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Cambridge Lover's Knot has not been worn by The Queen since Diana's death, which leads me to believe the tiara is being kept with Diana's other jewels for William and Harry's wives.

Catherine reportedly did receive a tiara as a wedding gift and it apparently was not the Scroll Tiara, which she chose to wear as "something borrowed" on her wedding day. But who knows....we'll just have to wait and see what shows up!
Old 08-31-2012, 11:53 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
The Cambridge Lover's Knot has not been worn by The Queen since Diana's death, which leads me to believe the tiara is being kept with Diana's other jewels for William and Harry's wives.

Catherine reportedly did receive a tiara as a wedding gift and it apparently was not the Scroll Tiara, which she chose to wear as "something borrowed" on her wedding day. But who knows....we'll just have to wait and see what shows up!
Then again, The Queen didn't wear it for a while before giving it to Diana.

Personally, I think the earrings being designed to match the Halo Tiara points to there being plans for a more long-term use.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione

Me too actually. She's the only one in the family that could wear the Lover's Knot, and since the tour is something they really do want press attention on, that would be a guaranteed way to make sure of it.
It would be nice to see Kate wearing either one but how long till she receives a royal order to go with the tiara.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:25 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
It would be nice to see Kate wearing either one but how long till she receives a royal order to go with the tiara.
A while, probably longer than when we get to see her in a tiara. Orders have to be earnt. Although when Charles becomes King she may receive one.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen

A while, probably longer than when we get to see her in a tiara. Orders have to be earnt. Although when Charles becomes King she may receive one.
I'd be surprised if she didn't get the royal family order before the end of the Queen's reign personally, although of course we can't know for sure until we see it.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:50 PM
Nobility

Just wanted to clarify my previous post, to me the Halo tiara is the scroll tiara - here's a nice collection of pictures of it being worn in the past -
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Halo Scroll Tiara
Much as I'd like to see something new - if there's a tiara, I'm predicting this one and the matching earrings her parents gifted her.

Here's one I'd love to see, it's just gorgeous, IMO (but then I love bling.) I know it's too over the top for Catherine @ this pt. - still, one can dream and it does go w/ that sapphire ring.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-OqMDAFwBMz...n_Jewels12.jpg
Old 08-31-2012, 05:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm so excited to see a State Dinner on their agenda. Hopes are high for some major jewelry and a fantastic gown! Yay!

This is going to be so much fun to watch.

I'm very optimistic about tiara potential for this tour now that I've read the description on the Prince of Wales site. They do say repeatedly that the dinner in Singapore is to be a State Dinner and that Prince William will make an address on behalf of the Queen.

It certainly sounds like a white tie event.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:27 PM
Aristocracy

"In the evening, the Royal couple attend a State Dinner given by The President of Singapore at his official residence, the Istana. "

The Prince of Wales - A statement by Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton on The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's upcoming tour to Singapore, Malaysia, Solomon Islands and Tuvalu

Hmm...perhaps someone should update the Wikipedia definition of a State Dinner to include heads of state, or those representing them...
Old 08-31-2012, 07:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalMess

Then again, The Queen didn't wear it for a while before giving it to Diana.

Personally, I think the earrings being designed to match the Halo Tiara points to there being plans for a more long-term use.
I think The Queen likely gave Catherine the tiara for her permanent use as it was sitting around for a long time. But maybe she is finally opening up the vault and gave her another one as well!
Old 08-31-2012, 07:56 PM
Majesty

Thank you for the information. This is indeed something very exciting to look forward to. Like others here, I'm hoping for a tiara, or at least some fancy jewels to pop up at the banquets.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:29 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincePatrick View Post
"In the evening, the Royal couple attend a State Dinner given by The President of Singapore at his official residence, the Istana. "

The Prince of Wales - A statement by Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton on The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's upcoming tour to Singapore, Malaysia, Solomon Islands and Tuvalu

Hmm...perhaps someone should update the Wikipedia definition of a State Dinner to include heads of state, or those representing them...
It doesn't need to be updated. A Wikipedia article on State Dinners here:
State dinner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia was quoted a few pages back in this thread. You can stop reading when you get to the word "OR' (I bolded it for easier reference) as it is 1 of 2 conditions that must be met to be a 'state dinner'.
Quote:
A state dinner is a dinner or banquet paid by a government and hosted by a head of state in his or her official residence in order to renew and celebrate diplomatic ties between the host country and the country of a foreign head of state or head of government who was issued an invitation.
It has been made clear in Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton's statement that:
Quote:
Their Royal Highnesses visit Singapore and Malaysia on behalf of the British Government as guests of the two hosts countries;
thus the Cambridges are representing the country of a foreign head of state.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral
Just wanted to clarify my previous post, to me the Halo tiara is the scroll tiara - here's a nice collection of pictures of it being worn in the past -
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Halo Scroll Tiara
Much as I'd like to see something new - if there's a tiara, I'm predicting this one and the matching earrings her parents gifted her.

Here's one I'd love to see, it's just gorgeous, IMO (but then I love bling.) I know it's too over the top for Catherine @ this pt. - still, one can dream and it does go w/ that sapphire ring.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-OqMDAFwBMz...n_Jewels12.jpg
My dark horse guess after the Strathmore http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.com/...more-rose.html
Would be the oriental circlet, both just seem to have a lighter more island feel http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.com/...l-circlet.html. Admittedly this is a substantial tiara. Although I think there is more chance of seeing Kate wear a major tiara on a tour on her than at a state dinner with other members of the BRF. I think when Kate is among HM, Camilla, even Anne she tries to show deference, in those circumstances, I think the Halo tiara is perfect - but on this jubilee tour hopefully we may get some surprises.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:08 PM
Heir Apparent

EEEEK!!! state dinner might we finally get to see the Duchess in a tiara?!! Sorry this is kinda OT but anyone know what kind of dinner the Prince and Late Princess of Wales had gone to when they danced together on the dance floor. I believe they did it 3 separate times. Were they state dinners? If so any chance we may see it with Wills and Kate we all know they love to dance.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:26 PM
Majesty

Is one of those occasions when Diana danced with John Travolta? If so, I believe that was a dinner at the White House during the Reagan administration. Not sure if it was a State Banquet, though it very well may have been, and Diana was wearing what looked like the Cambridge Lovers Knot tiara.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:15 AM
Heir Apparent

She and Charles did it during the tour of New Zealand/Australia 83, Was it Australia 85 and one more I can't member she was in the blue and white dress in 88 I believe. But yeah also with John Travolta in 85 at the White House. I just can't member what exactly the event was. I do have the vids somewhere but it'd take a while to dig up.

Found one caption it said this:
Quote:
Princess Diana and Prince Charles dancing together in Government House, Melbourne Australia in 1985
Suppose it was a ball then.

Just checked them the first 2 were balls and the last one was from the Bicentennial celebrations. Shoot now I gotta wait for a ball!!
Old 09-01-2012, 12:32 AM
Majesty

Looks like we were talking about different (possible) state banquets. Anyhow, hopefully we'll see something like this on a tour that William and Catherine undertake (if not the one that's coming up, then one of the future ones).