The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-28-2012, 04:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
I would love to see her in that sapphire tiara of QEII.
So would I, but I suspect it might have to wait till Catherine is Queen. We will probably see it on Camilla before that.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:59 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
I don't think this is the appropriate thread for this discussion, but I'll just say that I hope we don't see the Cambridge Lovers' Knot Tiara on Catherine for a while. It's too closely associated with the late Diana, Princess of Wales, and I can just see the comparisons all over the place if she were to bring it out now, or in the near future. Maybe in a couple of decades.
I agree, but mostly because I think that tiara is overrated

Old 08-28-2012, 06:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

I can't say I'm a fan of the sapphire tiara. If it were up to me, it'd be dismantled and re-assembled in a completely new design. It just doesn't work as it is IMO.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:34 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
I can't say I'm a fan of the sapphire tiara. If it were up to me, it'd be dismantled and re-assembled in a completely new design. It just doesn't work as it is IMO.
This is my opinion on all the tiaras QEII has commissioned.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:27 AM
Aristocracy

Is it possible she would wear one to a state occasion on the Southeast Asia tour?
Old 08-28-2012, 11:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincePatrick View Post
Is it possible she would wear one to a state occasion on the Southeast Asia tour?
No, I don't think so. It's not a state visit, as far as I know. Plus, I think William and Kate prefer to keep things a bit more relaxed than stipulating that dinners should be tiara occasions. Charles and Camilla do the same when they make visits abroad.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:20 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalMess

I agree, but mostly because I think that tiara is overrated
That too. Sure, it's a pretty piece of jewelry, but there are other tiaras that are available.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:27 PM
Aristocracy

Womp womp! I guess I'll keep my expectations low, and just be surprised if she whips one out :)
Old 08-30-2012, 10:00 AM
Courtier

Dare we dream.....https://twitter.com/regaleyes/status/241119336994074624

https://twitter.com/regaleyes/status/241121195829915648

A state dinner...and possibly a Tiara on this tour
Old 08-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

A 'state' dinner is where heads of state greet heads of state. As William is not yet King, this is not a state dinner. There will be a banquet on their visit similar to the ones Charles and Camilla have enjoyed.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:40 AM
Nobility

You are probably quite right.

However...in 2006, the Queen visited Singapore, where she attended a state dinner. Here is a photo from that evening:

Flashback: Queen Elizabeth's Visit to Singapore | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

We can live in hope....
Old 08-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I'm a bit confused by your post;
A head of state does not have to be a monarch. When The Queen visited singapore their president (head of state) gave a state dinner in honour of The Queen. Similar to when The Queen visits the USA.

William and Catherine will be greeted by the heads of state of respective countries they visit, but they themselves are not heads of state.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:53 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
A 'state' dinner is where heads of state greet heads of state. As William is not yet King, this is not a state dinner. There will be a banquet on their visit similar to the ones Charles and Camilla have enjoyed.
But seeing as how they are representing the Queen, couldn't it still be considered a state dinner?
Old 08-30-2012, 10:55 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincePatrick View Post
But seeing as how they are representing the Queen, couldn't it still be considered a state dinner?
Nope, as defined by wikipedia and somehow I doubt someone would edit or lie on an article about state dinners;

Quote:
A state dinner is a dinner or banquet paid by a government and hosted by a head of state in his or her official residence in order to renew and celebrate diplomatic ties between the host country and the country of a foreign head of state or head of government who was issued an invitation
Old 08-30-2012, 11:16 AM
Nobility

Quote:
I'm a bit confused by your post;
A head of state does not have to be a monarch. When The Queen visited singapore their president (head of state) gave a state dinner in honour of The Queen. Similar to when The Queen visits the USA.

William and Catherine will be greeted by the heads of state of respective countries they visit, but they themselves are not heads of state.
Here is a photo of Diana at a state dinner in Australia in 1983. The Queen was not present.
Princess Diana - A Look Back at Princess Diana's Jewelry - Princess Diana Wearing the Spencer Tiara

Also, a state dinner is defined by Wikipedia (admittedly not the best source) State dinner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia as:
Quote:
A state dinner is a dinner or banquet paid by a government and hosted by a head of state in his or her official residence in order to renew and celebrate diplomatic ties between the host country and the country of a foreign head of state or head of government who was issued an invitation. It may form part of a state visit or diplomatic conference. In many countries around the world, there are many different rules governed by protocol.
(note: bolding is mine)

So it appears, on the surface, that the definition of state dinner rests with the host country.

Although I do believe you are correct - in that unless protocol dictates it - we won't see Kate in a tiara.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

As The Princess of Wales we saw Diana in a tiara often, when Catherine is The Princess we will see her in more tiara's.

Your quote, which is the same as the one I posted, says that it's to celebrate ties between "the foreign head of state or head of government", neither of which William is. Also "it may form a part of a state visit", that's obvious. But this is a visit on behalf of The Queen, I wouldn't class it as a state visit, so no state dinner.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Courtier

Have Camilla or Sophie worn tiaras at any dinners on any of their jubilee tours on behalf of the monarch this year? - that might lend a clue as to how interpreted.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:36 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
Have Camilla or Sophie worn tiaras at any dinners on any of their jubilee tours on behalf of the monarch this year? - that might lend a clue as to how interpreted.
The visit to Canada for Camilla and Charles had no tiara event, they're due to make another tour in November to Australia, Papua New Guinea and New Zealand.

No tiara in Gibraltar for S&E, we didn't have a tiara in the Caribbean either but we did have a formal dinner with a very lovely gown. Sophie and Edward also have a trip to Canada around the same time William and Catherine are in the far east.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Nobility

Quote:
As The Princess of Wales we saw Diana in a tiara often, when Catherine is The Princess we will see her in more tiara's.

Your quote, which is the same as the one I posted, says that it's to celebrate ties between "the foreign head of state or head of government", neither of which William is. Also "it may form a part of a state visit", that's obvious. But this is a visit on behalf of The Queen, I wouldn't class it as a state visit, so no state dinner.
No, but William and Kate will be representing the country of a foreign head of state as in:
Quote:
...renew and celebrate diplomatic ties between the host country and the country of a foreign head of state OR ...
Old 08-30-2012, 11:50 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanRoyal View Post
No, but William and Kate will be representing the country of a foreign head of state as in:

Yes but the head of state for the visiting country isn't there, representing doesn't mean anything. As evident as we've seen Camilla and Sophie on visits abroad, with dinners, without tiaras. Seeing as this is a visit to Commonwealth Nations, rather than realms, I don't see any flash.