Duchess of Cambridge: Future Tiaras and Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: Did we not hear that the Oriental Circlet was now in the possession of the Duchess of Cornwall? :ermm:
The oriental Circlet was left by Queen Vicotoria to the crown to by worn by future Queens. It only remained the late Queen Mother until her death.
So i don't think Catherine will wear it before becoming Queen.
The teck crescent circlet is now on loan to the Duchess of Cornwall.

Does it make a difference that the POW site states that the visits to Singapore and Malaysia are on behalf of the British Government whereas the visits to the Soloman Islands and Tuvalu are on behalf of the Queen? Anyone know the reason for the different phrasing?
The different phrasing is due to the Queen being Head of State of the Solomon Islands and Head of State of Tuvalu.

I agree it would be very unusual to see Kate in a tiara on this trip. Without getting drawn into the definition of what constitutes a state trip, I have never seen Camilla or Sophie wear a tiara abroad, save for when C&C visited the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meetings in Uganda in 2007, or when Sophie has been at a European royal wedding where tiaras have been worn.

Last edited by a moderator:
MARG said:
:previous: Did we not hear that the Oriental Circlet was now in the possession of the Duchess of Cornwall? :ermm:

The tiara returned to the Crown after The Queen Mother's death and has since been worn by The Queen. It can only be worn by a Queen in right of the Crown per Queen Victoria's will.

I agree, it would be very unusual to see Kate in a tiara on this trip. Without getting drawn into the definition of what constitutes a state trip, I have never seen Camilla or Sophie wear a tiara abroad, save for when C&C visited the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meetings in Uganda in 2007, or when Sophie has been at a European royal wedding where tiaras have been worn.

Sophie has worn her Wedding tiara once in Canada 1 or 2 years after her Wedding.

...I'm one of those people who hates/will hate seeing Diana's jewels on Catherine. There's nothing wrong with family heirlooms, but in my mind these jewels are tainted and should stay away until Catherine has a daughter or when Henry marries.
The use of "tainted" is an unfortunate choice of words.
There are jewels which may be associated with the late Diana but nonetheless they are Royal heirlooms and deserve to be passed on to be worn by the next generation of royal ladies.
It is a reality that the royal jewels worn by Diana have enhanced provenance due to the fact they were worn by a Princess of Wales. There is nothing to be gained by shying away from that fact or by burying those jewels for another generation or two.

If she wears it, we don't know if we'll see it again on Catherine. If she got the ring, the future wife of Henry might get the tiara. Particularly as one day she'll have the entire vaults to herself.

I don't think it's too big for her, I'm one of those people who hates/will hate seeing Diana's jewels on Catherine. There's nothing wrong with family heirlooms, but in my mind these jewels are tainted and should stay away until Catherine has a daughter or when Henry marries.

I'm intrigued by what you mean by "tainted". And which jewels do you mean? Royal or those that were the personal property of Diana?
Do you mean because Diana wore them and they will always be associated with her? Or is it about Catherine?

The oriental Circlet was left by Queen Vicotoria to the crown to by worn by future Queens. It only remained the late Queen Mother until her death.
So i don't think Catherine will wear it before becoming Queen.
The teck crescent circlet is now on loan to the Duchess of Cornwall.
Sorry, I was getting my crescents and circlets mixed up! I knew which one I was thinking of but mixed the names. :doh:

Personally I think that as Kate and Wills are not yet full time working royals, until that time comes or William becomes heir apparent, I think the only tiara we will see on Kate is the Halo. I would imagine that the Queen lent that tiara to Kate for her wedding day and to wear should the occasion arise while William is still 3rd in line for the throne. There'll be plenty of opportunities for grander tiaras as time passes.

How exciting would it be if they broke up some of the older/uglier pieces, or drew from a pile of unused gems, and let Catherine help design a brand new tiara!? What prompted them to create a new piece for Sophie? I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that we could see a 'Duchess of Cambridge Tiara' :D

Now there's an idea. We all know Kate's love for recycling things. Why not recycle some dusty ol' jewels just collecting dust in the vault eh? :)

I don't think they'll make a tiara for Kate only a crown when she becomes Queen. When she becomes Princess of Wales she'll have more tiaras to choose from and when she becomes Queen she'll get to wear whatever ones she wants.

Sophie will never have an opportunity to be Queen and so a new tiara was created for her so she can pass it down to Louise and Louise can pass it down to her kids.

Sophie will never have an opportunity to be Queen and so a new tiara was created for her so she can pass it down to Louise and Louise can pass it down to her kids.

Actually, I don't believe that's correct. There's no indication that Sophie's tiara was a gift instead of a lifetime loan. If the guesses about the provenance of that tiara are correct (that it was part of Queen Victoria's regal circlet) it's highly unlikely that they'd want the pieces to leave the royal collection.

How exciting would it be if they broke up some of the older/uglier pieces, or drew from a pile of unused gems, and let Catherine help design a brand new tiara!? What prompted them to create a new piece for Sophie? I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that we could see a 'Duchess of Cambridge Tiara' :D

Oh, that has definitely possibilities :D. I'm completely on board with this idea (too bad we have no say or push where promoting this idea is concerned :bang:).

Oh, that has definitely possibilities :D. I'm completely on board with this idea (too bad we have no say or push where promoting this idea is concerned :bang:).

Honestly? As nice as the idea of a new tiara is, I think I'd be even more excited if some of the older pieces rumored to be in disrepair, like the Strathmore Rose, were restored. I also think overseeing the restoration might be the kind of project Kate would like.

I'd also kill to see the Marie Feodorovna sapphire bandeau come out to play. That one would be my dark horse candidate that I'd be so excited to see.

There's always the possibility of converting her diamond and ruby flower necklace into a tiara! It has the perfect "spray" effect to make for a delicate and beautiful tiara. If I were handy with photoshop I'd turn it upside down and place it on her head, but I don't even have it on my computer! I wonder if the flower aspects dangle, or if they are solid from stem to petals...

Last edited:
I'm just looking forward to a display of what I hope is a combination of jewels from the royal vaults and maybe a peek into more of her rumored wedding gifts. 8 nights, 7 evening events (whatever they are called) I expect some good bling (and yes I'm hoping for a tiara packed in what I hope is some new luggage).

It's going to be fun!

I really hope Kate will wear a tiara for the state banquet! And it will be marvelous if she could wear a tiara hidden in the vaults that we haven't seen for a very long time (bu I'll be happy also if she wears the Halo tiara like her wedding day)

I do wonder if The Duchess of Cambridge will wear a tiara in Singapore or Malaysia, and that HM The Queen may loan her some of the other tiaras that used to be used by The Late Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother such as the Strathmore tiara, or the 1920's style baneau; or perhaps even the Indian tiara - as we have seen HRH The Duchess of Cornwall borrow the Delhi Durbar & the Boucheron tiara. I cannot imagine HM The Queen giving HRH The Duchess of Cambridge one of her tiaras that she uses frequently; yet I imagine if a tiara is worn at all it will be the halo tiara again :)

I really hope Kate will wear a tiara for the state banquet! And it will be marvelous if she could wear a tiara hidden in the vaults that we haven't seen for a very long time (bu I'll be happy also if she wears the Halo tiara like her wedding day)
Yes I agree, I am really quite excited to see if HM The Queen will give Kate some of her jewels to wear, or whether some of The Late Princess of Wales' saphires may be worn? And I am looking forwards to seeing TRH The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge arrive to a traditional island welcome in Tuvalu :)

Well, the Strathmore is rumored to be in a state of disrepair, so unless it's gone through restoration we probably won't see it- and it's highly unlikely that Catherine would wear one of the tiaras that Camilla has been loaned.

But there are others mentioned in this thread that she could conceivably wear :)

Well like someone said earlier her ruby flower necklace might convert to a tiara....or she might wear a wedding present from one of their hosts. Maybe something new and twinkly!

Jenafran said:
Her hosts....?

Her hosts usually mean the people who are taking part in the visit in the foreign country. The royal family of Malaysia, representatives in Tuvalu, The Solomon Islands and Singapore etc.

With the bad economy, no way would the royal family have a new tiara created for Kate. It would give the wrong image.

I don't know if we will see a tiara at any of the dinner, if I had to pick - the dinner in Malaysia with the King seems the best bet.

Are there rules for when a tiara can be busted out ? It seems that the Queen can wear one during every state dinner. Just watch the PoW's julibee tribute on PBS in America yesterday and it had footage of the State Dinner in Ireland and the Queen was the only one in tiara. State Dinner in the UK, it seems like the royal ladies bust out the tiaras. For foreign trips, does it have to be white tie formality for the tiara's to come out?

I do think the Queen, Kate and Angela Kelly will make a trip to royal vaults to bring out some bling for this trip. Jewels that the Queen may have received from these countries in the past, perhaps? Sort of like the diamond maple leaf from Canada.

I have read that Kate is factoring the national dress of the countries that they visiting in her clothing choices so we may see something totally new for Kate on this trip. Hopefully, she can get Wills out of his standard blue suit red tie uniform of Canada.

I think it would be fantastic if Kate could wear the Teck crescent tiara! We know it still exists, and that it's on loan to the Duchess of Cornwall. Camilla has never worn it in public (I think she needs higher tiaras, the only time she's worn her family tiara it was mostly hidden in her hair), so she could loan it to Kate for the state dinner.
But perhaps I'm only dreaming :princess3:

I would love to see Kate in some of Diana's pearls, the earrings especially.
:)

I'm not sure if we will see tiara, if any it will be her wedding tiara. Sarah, Sofie and Diana got only 1 tiara from the Queen and I don't think she'll treat Kate otherwise. But I hope to see some nice jewels, not fake diamonds.

With the bad economy, no way would the royal family have a new tiara created for Kate. It would give the wrong image.

[...]

Are there rules for when a tiara can be busted out ? It seems that the Queen can wear one during every state dinner. Just watch the PoW's julibee tribute on PBS in America yesterday and it had footage of the State Dinner in Ireland and the Queen was the only one in tiara. State Dinner in the UK, it seems like the royal ladies bust out the tiaras. For foreign trips, does it have to be white tie formality for the tiara's to come out?

When the Queen makes a state visit abroad, she is the guest and so it's only HM and the DoE who attend. She doesn't generally take other royals with her. When the Queen is hosting a state visit, on the other hand, she's joined by other members of the royal family and the royal ladies can and do all wear tiaras if they want to.

State dinners appear to be really the only occasion that the BRF bring out the tiaras. I know the Queen also wears one when attending the service for the Order of the British Empire, but I don't think that happens every year.

I guess it all depends on how their hosts decide to characterise the dinners. If they're full state dinners then you would expect tiaras, in Malaysia at least given it's a monarchy. If they're less formal dinners, I don't think we'll see tiaras at all.

The BRF, if they wanted to gift Kate a new tiara, could just commission it in secret, make the jeweller sign a confidentiality agreement, and tell everyone it's an amalgamation or variation of pieces they already owned. No-one would need to know it's brand new.

Catherine is a very beautiful young lady and I hope she will explore the royal jewlery vaults. I think everyone is hoping that she will wear a tiara at some point during this Diamond Jubilee Tour.

There are so many tiara's in the Queen's possession and many of them haven't seen the light of day for decades. I think if Catherine like certain jewels and want to tweak them a bit (with The Queen's permission of course) I really see no problem with her doing so.

I don't know why the British Royals regalia events have died down of the years but I think they should bring that back.

Back
Top Bottom