The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-05-2017, 11:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Sophie didn't have access to the others fir a few years.

There is also no saying the halo and lotus are reserved for Kate. Unlike the Greek key, they have only been loaned. And worn once.

There are certainly tiaras as mentioned above not used. Or even necklaces in the vaults that can be converted. Possibly the button tiara Sophie wore in Denmark which is hinted to be a piece from Princess Alice.
She's worn the lotus twice. She first wore it at Queen's annual diplomatic reception at Buckingham Palace in 2013. She wore it a second time at the China State dinner banquet in 2015.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:35 PM
Majesty

cepe do you know what happened to the 'ears of wheat' tiara?

LaRae

Old 10-06-2017, 01:05 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I was trying to avoid exactly that

I've read many of the Order of Splendor posts (and several other pages discussing various tiaras) and it's an excellent resource but I was hoping that someone far more knowledgeable than I had made the type of overview I was looking for; but it seems that an overview with my specific request doesn't exist... If it does, I'd love to hear about it.

But thanks for answering!
The Order of Splendor is the best resource for currently used tiaras. There's a site called "Tiara Mania" that has a lot of info on old and current tiaras.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:24 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
She's worn the lotus twice. She first wore it at Queen's annual diplomatic reception at Buckingham Palace in 2013. She wore it a second time at the China State dinner banquet in 2015.
Sorry, twice. But still has not worn it in 2 years. She has been exclusively wearing the Lovers knott. There is no proof that these tiaras were given to Kate, are reserved for Kate. Simply loaned to her.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:49 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Sorry, twice. But still has not worn it in 2 years. She has been exclusively wearing the Lovers knott. There is no proof that these tiaras were given to Kate, are reserved for Kate. Simply loaned to her.
Quite right, no clarity whatsoever. Will be interesting to see what she chooses to wear for the Diplomatic Corps reception this year.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:59 AM
Courtier

Quote:
In fairness there are few events that require a tiara these days. So IMO to say one tiara is out of the rotation already is too precipitous.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:20 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
The Poltimore was sold to meet death duties and as previous poster said, unlikely to be used by her family. But I think if she had held significant royal pieces, with BRF history then HMQ might have stepped in.

What is worrying is that the same scenario will eventually happen with the Gloucesters and Kents and they do have significant royal pieces. I think more will be lost if HMQ or Charles doesn't step in

Q Mary gifted instead of "lent" - great pity
There is nothing HMQ or Charles can do except ask for first refusal should such jewelry be planned to be sold. However it would have to be at a competitive price and the coffers are not bottomless.

The best hope is that such items are prohibited to be sold offshore and that's where the market is.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:57 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
In fairness there are few events that require a tiara these days. So IMO to say one tiara is out of the rotation already is too precipitous.
Quite right. She's only worn a tiara 6 times. 2/6 have been the lotus. Quite a standard usage rate considering she's been loaned 3 tiaras. I struggle to believe two of her tiaras have been revoked from her, and now she only has one at her disposal.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:11 PM
Majesty

I'd love to see at least one of the tiaras from the Victoria/Albert museum back in use!

LaRae

Tags
british royal family, jewellery, tiaras