Distribution of Jewels in the British Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is there some kind of overview post with all tiara's of the BRF including their status (in whose possession and/or loan)?

Just work your way through the jewellery threads as well as the Order of Splendor blogpost site

In QEII time she rarely lent any jewelry however, with Catherine she seems to be using the Collection in mu h the same way asthe Swede's. She gave Sarah and Sophie tiaras as wedding presents. Neither had any BRF provenance nor significance. Sarah received a rather attractive floral and Sophie the infamous 'Mickey Mouse ears!

Gifting significant jewelry is the quickest way to decimate a 'Royal Collection'. Princess Margaret's purchased wedding tiara, the Poltimore, went under the hammer after her death as her children has no use for it. Imagine that happening to the Halo!

Gifting significant jewelry is the quickest way to decimate a 'Royal Collection'. Princess Margaret's purchased wedding tiara, the Poltimore, went under the hammer after her death as her children has no use for it. Imagine that happening to the Halo!

Much as I liked the Poltimore and would have liked to see it in use, the tiara actually did not have much royal provenance. So from a historical perspective, its not really a great loss to the BRF.

Just work your way through the jewellery threads as well as the Order of Splendor blogpost site

I was trying to avoid exactly that :whistling:

I've read many of the Order of Splendor posts (and several other pages discussing various tiaras) and it's an excellent resource but I was hoping that someone far more knowledgeable than I had made the type of overview I was looking for; but it seems that an overview with my specific request doesn't exist... If it does, I'd love to hear about it.

But thanks for answering!

Thanks! Especially the first is a great start. Am I correct in assuming that there are other tiaras in use by the BRF that are not part of the Queen's vault and therefore not included in this overview?

The Tudor link (in my second set of links) has a ton of info too!

Correct in that link, you are talking about, it doesn't have everything.

LaRae

Much as I liked the Poltimore and would have liked to see it in use, the tiara actually did not have much royal provenance. So from a historical perspective, its not really a great loss to the BRF.
That is my point. Jewelry owned by the Monarchs sister was of no real use to her children and was sold. If Margaret had been gifted historically significant jewels they would have have been lost to the main line of the BRF or just plain lost the same way as those gifted by Queen Mary were.

I was just reading the biography of King George VI last night and when Princess Victoria (King George V's favourite sister) died in very early 1936 Queen Mary was left to distribute her dead sister in law's jewellery, including presumably tiaras. She remarked to a family member that she was sharing them equally between her sons' wives (York, Gloucester and Kent) but not giving anything to the new King Edward, as he would probably pass them on to Mrs Simpson! Ironic, isn't it?

That is my point. Jewelry owned by the Monarchs sister was of no real use to her children and was sold. If Margaret had been gifted historically significant jewels they would have have been lost to the main line of the BRF or just plain lost the same way as those gifted by Queen Mary were.

The Poltimore was sold to meet death duties and as previous poster said, unlikely to be used by her family. But I think if she had held significant royal pieces, with BRF history then HMQ might have stepped in.

What is worrying is that the same scenario will eventually happen with the Gloucesters and Kents and they do have significant royal pieces. I think more will be lost if HMQ or Charles doesn't step in

Q Mary gifted instead of "lent" - great pity

:previous: Sophie didn't have access to the others fir a few years.

There is also no saying the halo and lotus are reserved for Kate. Unlike the Greek key, they have only been loaned. And worn once.

There are certainly tiaras as mentioned above not used. Or even necklaces in the vaults that can be converted. Possibly the button tiara Sophie wore in Denmark which is hinted to be a piece from Princess Alice.

She's worn the lotus twice. She first wore it at Queen's annual diplomatic reception at Buckingham Palace in 2013. She wore it a second time at the China State dinner banquet in 2015.

cepe do you know what happened to the 'ears of wheat' tiara?

LaRae

I was trying to avoid exactly that :whistling:

I've read many of the Order of Splendor posts (and several other pages discussing various tiaras) and it's an excellent resource but I was hoping that someone far more knowledgeable than I had made the type of overview I was looking for; but it seems that an overview with my specific request doesn't exist... If it does, I'd love to hear about it.

But thanks for answering!

The Order of Splendor is the best resource for currently used tiaras. There's a site called "Tiara Mania" that has a lot of info on old and current tiaras.

She's worn the lotus twice. She first wore it at Queen's annual diplomatic reception at Buckingham Palace in 2013. She wore it a second time at the China State dinner banquet in 2015.

Sorry, twice. But still has not worn it in 2 years. She has been exclusively wearing the Lovers knott. There is no proof that these tiaras were given to Kate, are reserved for Kate. Simply loaned to her.

Sorry, twice. But still has not worn it in 2 years. She has been exclusively wearing the Lovers knott. There is no proof that these tiaras were given to Kate, are reserved for Kate. Simply loaned to her.
Quite right, no clarity whatsoever. Will be interesting to see what she chooses to wear for the Diplomatic Corps reception this year.

In fairness there are few events that require a tiara these days. So IMO to say one tiara is out of the rotation already is too precipitous.

Last edited:
The Poltimore was sold to meet death duties and as previous poster said, unlikely to be used by her family. But I think if she had held significant royal pieces, with BRF history then HMQ might have stepped in.

What is worrying is that the same scenario will eventually happen with the Gloucesters and Kents and they do have significant royal pieces. I think more will be lost if HMQ or Charles doesn't step in

Q Mary gifted instead of "lent" - great pity
There is nothing HMQ or Charles can do except ask for first refusal should such jewelry be planned to be sold. However it would have to be at a competitive price and the coffers are not bottomless.

The best hope is that such items are prohibited to be sold offshore and that's where the market is.

In fairness there are few events that require a tiara these days. So IMO to say one tiara is out of the rotation already is too precipitous.

Quite right. She's only worn a tiara 6 times. 2/6 have been the lotus. Quite a standard usage rate considering she's been loaned 3 tiaras. I struggle to believe two of her tiaras have been revoked from her, and now she only has one at her disposal.

I'd love to see at least one of the tiaras from the Victoria/Albert museum back in use!

LaRae

That is gorgeous! What a shame it won't be worn again!

LaRae

:previous:
The tiara is beautiful, indeed. It looks delicately airy.

Last edited:
Its a relief to me that the beloved 'Fife' will be preserved forever and be seen by the Public, not be locked up eternally in some bank vault or [worse] broken up for the value of it's stones..
It is 'greater than the sum of its parts', and that greatness is now SECURE.

Last edited:
Even though it won't be worn again it's good to see the Fife tiara now settle in Arts Council, I believe the Fife now can enjoy a great comprehensive preservation and conservation. Always think the royal jewels and their story deserve more public recognition. They're not luxury but arts, heritage, history.

Will Forgotten jewellery of the Windsors be seen during the reign of King Charles III?

Back
Top Bottom