The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-31-2008, 11:19 PM
Royal Highness

Fergie is no longer royal.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 04-01-2008, 01:27 AM
Serene Highness

I think PrincessofEurope was trying to say that Sophie borrowed the interlinked heart necklace and earrings since Sarah has also been spotted wearing the set. Meaning that they must have come from a commercial jeweler because Sarah would not be given access to royal jewels these days. At least that is my understanding Sophie and/or Sarah may have purchased the same exact set, but its probably unlikely and they are most certainly not sharing each others jewel box.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:32 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
I think PrincessofEurope was trying to say that Sophie borrowed the interlinked heart necklace and earrings since Sarah has also been spotted wearing the set. Meaning that they must have come from a commercial jeweler because Sarah would not be given access to royal jewels these days. At least that is my understanding Sophie and/or Sarah may have purchased the same exact set, but its probably unlikely and they are most certainly not sharing each others jewel box.

thanks kimebear for explaing that better as that was exactly the point i was trying to say

Old 04-01-2008, 09:36 AM
Royal Highness

PrincessofEurope--my apologies! Of course, looking back with 20/20 vision I perfectly see that is what you were saying.
I could not remember which necklace you were talking about so I went through the Countess of Wessex's Jewels thread and found this interesting post by Ayvee showing the necklace on both HRH Sophie, The Countess of Wessex and also on Sarah, Duchess of York . I personally think it looks better on Sophie. Also, apparently Garrad offered some sort of press release about the piece being borrowed.
Countess Of Wessex Jewellery

All of this leads me to my next question--
what exactly has Sophie received from the Queen, as compared to what the other daughters-in-law received. Diana received an historic tiara, Sarah was purchased a very lovely tiara, and Sophie got that thing she wore on her wedding. I don't hate it, but it lacks a certain symmetry and is really quite pathetic compared to the Sarah's and Diana's.
Diana also received the emerald choker. Sarah received a diamond cluster flower necklace with matching earrings and bracelet. What did Sophie receive? Does anyone have a list?

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 04-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Serene Highness

I think that the tiara's each lady has worn is based a lot on their preference of maybe not wanting to wear heavier based tiaras. Look at QEII herself; we all know she has tons of tiara in the vault but there are 3 tiaras that she wears the majority of the time, and a few others she wears every now and then. Is she being unfair to herself? Of course not! And I don't think any of the Princesses would complain about "only" having a few of these equisite tiaras to wear. Think about all the other magnificent jewels they get to wear too.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1981 View Post
i couldn't agree more..Diana only had 2 tiaras, and poor Sarah and Sophie with one bloody tiara
that true!
when Diana got married into Royal Family that why she wores 2 tiara one for her family tiara as Spencer tiara and Queen Mary tiara from HM Queen when she wores Spencer tiara on her wedding day in 1981.
that why Diana was kept her 2 tiara than Sarah,Duchess of York and Sophie,Countess of Wessex because both not have 2 them!
Diana was popular Princess you know that! she would kept tiara til she got divorces or death.
Sara Boyce
Even the Duchess of Gloucester and Princess Michael each have several different tiaras!
Old 04-19-2008, 10:53 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamk View Post
Even the Duchess of Gloucester and Princess Michael each have several different tiaras!
That is because Queen Mary, in all her wisdom, made sure that each of her children had historic sets of jewelry:
Mary, The PRincess Royal had QV's sapphire tiara, sapphire necklace, etc...--all sold with the excpeption of the tiara
The Kents had the Cambridge sapphires--the original tiara has been sold as well and the necklace modified to create--horrors!--a button type tiara. There is a small diamond and pearl tiara given to the family by Queen Mary. The fringe worn by Princess Michael was the wedding gift to Marina from the City of London, and I'm not sure what the history is behind the pearl and diamond piece.
The Gloucester's are in a unique position of never having had to split the jewels up! The current duke was actually the younger son but his brother-heir to the Dukedom--died. I believe that they may have been the only children of Princess Alice and consequently all those jewels remain the family.--Queen Mary gave them the turquoises, the honeysuckle motif (with detachable center that also has an emerald and kunzite too--so three tiaras in one), and the Ivegh Tiara (which Mary received as a wedding gift)--there is also the sapphire, diamond, and pearl tiara which was left to the Gloucester's by Princess Mary-Louise, and also an emerald tiara (not sure of its history)--
Queen Mary was a very generous Mother-in-Law and wanted to be able to pass pieces on. Unfortunantly, the Kents and the Lascalles (Princess Mary's family) have sold many pieces for death duties and such. Perhaps QEII has seen too many family pieces pass to want to give away full sets of jewels? I don't really blame her. And, it was a different time then. More jewelry because more was expected.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:37 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

i would image that when the current Duchess of Glouchester dies (hopefully not for many years as she is one the hardest working and one of my personal favourites) that the family who have no need for so many tiaras will sell them to pay for death duties. also to note that at the two weddings of the earl of ulster and also lady davina neither bride choose to wear a family tiara i presume the tiara that the countess of ulster wore was not real diamonds and either brought or borrowed for the occassion

Old 04-21-2008, 03:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
i presume the tiara that the countess of ulster wore was not real diamonds and either brought or borrowed for the occassion
My understanding is that the Countess of Ulster wore the rarely seen 6th and un-named diamond tiara belonging to the Duchess. The provenance is most likely Queen Mary.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:59 PM
Courtier

It seems to me that the discreet but remarkable changes to HM's wardrobe & jewels has a lot to do with her younger & more modern dresser, who is doing a great job of advising the Queen these days. Whilst there are some pieces of jewellery that were the Queen Mother's & she no doubt enjoys wearing them, I do think that it is probably her dresser who is making some of the suggestions ..."Why not try this one for a change, Ma'am...?"
Old 04-22-2008, 11:59 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree with you in relation to the clothes. HM is certainly dressed in a more flattering and contemperory manner, and I am sure a lot of credit for that goes to ger dressers.

In relation to her choice of jewellery, I suspect (clearly conjecture here!) that HM has probably spent some time in recent years going through the royal jewellery collection for the following reasons: a) incorporating the Queen Mothers jewellery b) sorting out and identifying items that can be made available to Camilla c) probably thinking about what might be appropriate for the grand children as they come of age, and d) as she goes through the royal vaults, clearly aware of her own mortality, having a go at some long forgotten jewels.

Also, when you host the French, you can't not look your best!
Old 04-22-2008, 03:44 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
My understanding is that the Countess of Ulster wore the rarely seen 6th and un-named diamond tiara belonging to the Duchess. The provenance is most likely Queen Mary.
thanks Warren for that info im sorry about my ignorance that i presumed it wasnt a real tiara

you dont have any closer images of the countess of ulster wearing it?
has the current or previous duchess worn it out in public if so are there any images/
I would image that if she wore it on her wedding day then it could have been a wedding present and might not have to be included in any incurred death duties and hopefully coudl remain a glouchester family tiara for xan and future generations

Old 08-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfizzle101 View Post
i am honestly upset over the tiaras issue between diana and camilla. i think diana should have been able to use more tiaras. if not given to her at least barrow them. i am sure that the royal family has plenty of tiaras to go around. queen mary own many tiaras and wasnt as cheap with the jewels as her granddaughter is
Perhaps the late Diana didn't like any of the other tiaras.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
In addition to the points made by jcbcode99 above, here are a few more issues to consider. Firstly, Diana was very young when she became Princess of Wales. You don't often see young royals wearing very heavy jewellery.
Exactly, Muriel. IMO it takes someone of a certain stature and girth to pull off such large pieces. Camilla has had the same rather big hairstyle for many years and possibly could have pulled off those in her youth. But now, she is past the middle-aged spread and now has the softer, rounder large-busted features of a mature woman that can serve as a base to balance out the huge bling on top. Also, many of the grander pieces were created during a time when the hairstyles were substantially bigger and would balance out the size of the tiara. None of Diana's hairstyles could have looked appropriate with the larger pieces.

The Grand Duchess of Luxembourg is a perfect case study. She defiinitely has the girth but lacks the height to appropriately wear the large Russian piece she chose for the Swedish wedding. She has never looked good in it and the only time she didn't look bad was when her hairstyle was arranged to be more full - wider than the tiara itself. When she first wore it for the state visit to he Netherlands, she was thinner and wore her hair down in a "flip" hairstyle and tucked behind her ears. She was thinner, the hair was slim. It didn't work. And at the Swedish wedding it was just a disaster! The hairstyle made her face look very fat. With her hair pulled back so tight, her face became as wide as the tiara and it looked like one big huge block on top of her shoulder, because she doesn't really have a prominent neck right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
That's a really good point, KittyAtlanta. Maybe none of the pieces offered were to her liking, and she had the Spencer family tiara at her disposal, so why wear something that would be uncomfortable, ugly, or look out of proportion with her hairstyle?
Old 09-04-2010, 08:34 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I have read countless times that Diana (like Queen Beatrix) was prone to horrible headaches and that wearing the Lover's Knot was horrible. I can believe it--it's gorgous, but it looks heavy and then you have all those swinging pearls- she looked lovely in it (when she had hair that was a little longer than her usual hairstyles) but vastly preferred the Spencer tiara.
Now, she did attempt to do something "different" with sapphire bracelet that she mounted on velvet and wore on her forehead--and also Queen Mary's Cambridge emerald choker, worn on her forehead as well. Both were equally horrible. Diana's Tiaras (last two on the page)--
BUT, I think that had she taken the emerald choker and had it placed on a small tiara frame it would have made a lovely lightweight and succesful small tiara.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Gentry

I agree; the emerald choker would have made a nice small tiara, if it had been placed on a frame. Diana's hairstyle wouldn't have allowed her to use it as, say the Princesses of Sweden wear their diamond bandeau.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:33 PM
Serene Highness

Everyone who says Diana would of loved to wear more tiaras but the queen didn't let her is wrong. Think about this, the Spencers own 3 tiaras so If Diana REALLY wanted to wear another tiara she had access to two more.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc93 View Post
Everyone who says Diana would of loved to wear more tiaras but the queen didn't let her is wrong. Think about this, the Spencers own 3 tiaras so If Diana REALLY wanted to wear another tiara she had access to two more.
I do think that QEII is a little, well, stingy with tiaras. Look at what Sophie received--after Diana received the Cambridge Lover's Knot, and Fergie's was purchased for her (and it is really lovely), Sophie got that thing. Now, it is made up of elements of Queen Victoria's Regal Circlet, so it has a truly royal heritage, but it is somewhat of a disappointment and a shame because those elements had such potential for being created into something attractive. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_KMZsVauhWU...00/sophie2.jpg

The other two are more attractive, but by no means are they impressive. The large aquamarine tiara is interesting, and the other one, the flower one, is nice, too. But, seriously--knowing what is in that vault and seeing Sophie wearing such insubstantial and unimportant pieces is most disappointing.

The Spencers have several tiaras that I know of--
1. Spencer Tiara:The Spencer Tiara | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

2. Spencer Honeysuckle Tiara: http://princessdianabookboutique.fil...ckle-tiara.jpg which should really be taken apart and two tiaras created

4. Marie Antionette tiara: http://coloreddiamond.info/index.php...=20466%3Bimage

5. Tortoiseshell mourning tiara with amethyst stones seen in Munn's book.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Serene Highness

Well she has two tiaras she owns Which is a lot more than she'll ever need! I think I agree with HM's way of thinking: her Daughter in laws can leave the family at any time so don't give them anything I wouldn't want to lose. She learned her lesson with Diana, and I'm glad she didn't give much to Fergie b/c it would of all been lost. If hm is queen and uses about 4 tiaras normally then her Daughter in laws don't need more.

About the Spencer Mourning tiara, I've never heard or seen of it before...
Old 09-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillW View Post
It seems to me that the discreet but remarkable changes to HM's wardrobe & jewels has a lot to do with her younger & more modern dresser, who is doing a great job of advising the Queen these days. Whilst there are some pieces of jewellery that were the Queen Mother's & she no doubt enjoys wearing them, I do think that it is probably her dresser who is making some of the suggestions ..."Why not try this one for a change, Ma'am...?"
from Hello Canada
....,with her dresser, Angela Kelly, bringing many of her favourite pieces along....that she lays out three sets each morning, from which the Queen selects her favourite....."

Tags
british royal family, jewellery, tiaras