The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-10-2007, 12:46 PM
Royal Highness

Diana was not "given" the Lover's Knot tiara--she was gifted it but it remained the property of the Queen; upon her death it was returned. In my opinion, it should have been returned when the separation occurred. The same is true with Queen Mary's emerald choker--gifted but not given. There is a big difference---
Also, Camilla has proven devotion to Charles for decades, she has been steadfast and has taken a lot of heat. She is wearing important tiaras that belonged to the Queen Mother--well, actually, only the Boucheron belonged to the Queen Mother. Queen Mary loaned her the Delhi Durbar and QEQM only wore it the one time. I believe it belongs to the Queen as well.
I personally see no point in making these unnecessary comparisons between Diana and Camilla. It isn't nice and serves no point. We can all go on and on and on about it, we all have definate opinions, but at the end of the day it has nothing to do with us. I love seeing these jewels reappear and am happy that Charles has found happiness again (because I do think he and Diana were happy for several years until their personality differences did them in) and I think that Camilla wears those large pieces very well. I can't think of anyelse who could wear them as well--even HM The Queen can't pull those things off.
Talking about a different piece of jewellery, did everyone see this stunning necklace that the Queen lent to Camilla to wear for her last birthday party?
Here's an article (no picture) Camilla's birthday diamonds - Royal Watch

Picture, no story--it's a closeup http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/200...07_468x293.jpg

And YOWZA--are those huge diamonds.

and, a picture of Charles and Camilla--
http://blog.bidz.com/wp-content/uplo...07/charles.jpg (LOVE the bracelet)

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 11-10-2007, 01:43 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

maybe Camilla wears the Queen Mum's jewellery because it was given to Charles on her death. do we actually know for certain that the private pieces of the queen mum actually went back to the crown?

Old 11-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Royal Highness

I believe that all of QEQM's jewels went to the Queen and she lets Camilla wear them because Camilla is the next King's wife (we don't need to start the whole Queen Consort/Princess Consort discussion again)

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 11-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
maybe Camilla wears the Queen Mum's jewellery because it was given to Charles on her death. do we actually know for certain that the private pieces of the queen mum actually went back to the crown?
It was statet at the time of the death of the Queenmother that all her posessions went to her only surviving daughter, the Queen, as the monarch is the only one who has not to pay inheritance taxes.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 11-22-2007, 07:12 AM

I have often found it strange that after all these years The Princess Royal has been given so few jewels, and her tiaras are pathetic!

God Save The Queen!

Old 11-22-2007, 07:26 AM
Administrator

She can, and does, borrow jewels from her mother, and she has three tiaras that we know of (Meander, Aquamarine and Festoon).
How many tiaras does a working Princess need?
Old 11-22-2007, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
She can, and does, borrow jewels from her mother, and she has three tiaras that we know of (Meander, Aquamarine and Festoon).
How many tiaras does a working Princess need?
Well she needs a few more, after all she is the Sovereign's daughter and she can look really well if she wants to, so another tiara, perhaps a bigger one wouldn't go a miss.

God Save The Queen!

Old 11-22-2007, 09:42 AM
Administrator

She wore a biggie two years ago, but it remains unidentified: Mystery Tiara.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
She wore a biggie two years ago, but it remains unidentified: Mystery Tiara.
I hadn't noticed that one before and I have to say its not bad, I quite like it , it suits her hair which is quite impressive.

God Save The Queen!

Old 11-22-2007, 10:42 AM
Aristocracy

In Denmark the late Queen Ingrid left her finest jewels - the ruby and diamond parure - to her beloved grandson Frederik because she wanted the set to stey with the future queen. Could the same be the case with the Queenmother's jewels? She was very close to Charles and may have wanted his wife to wear her jewels - also to keep them in the hands of the future princess/queen consort...

Old 11-23-2007, 06:18 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Recently it was discussed about the tiara she wore on the Gala at the Royal theatre in Copenhagen the evening before Frederik and Mary's Wedding. It is either a piece from a tiara of Princess Alice of Greece or it was loaned from a jeweller.
I doubt the Queen would countenance her daughter-in-law borrowing jewels. Especially after Diana borrowed a necklace from Collingwoods for some engagement photo's and it was subsequently offered with a bogus provenance stating that it was Spencer property being sold to pay for the wedding!
Old 11-23-2007, 09:55 PM
Royal Highness

Wymanda, I think the same thing for the exact same reason. There really is no reason for the Royal Family to have to borrow jewels when they have so many unused pieces languishing about in the vaults

Old 03-14-2008, 01:10 AM
Gentry

i am honestly upset over the tiaras issue between diana and camilla. i think diana should have been able to use more tiaras. if not given to her at least barrow them. i am sure that the royal family has plenty of tiaras to go around. queen mary own many tiaras and wasnt as cheap with the jewels as her granddaughter is
Old 03-14-2008, 12:30 PM
Royal Highness

Once again, Diana was quite prone to headaches and would only wear light-weight ones. The Spencer was very lightweight, and while the Lover's Knot is stunning and any girl would love to have it, it is quite heavy--and with those dangling pearls clanging around she was sure to get a headache. I feel certain that QEII offered pieces and they were declined.
Incidentally, with the exception of the Gloucester's, many of Queen Mary's gifts to her children have been sold for death duties--the Earl of Harewood sold just about everything, including a sapphire necklace of Queen Victoria's and a fringe necklace/tiara that was gift to the Princess Royal upon her marriage (The Duke of Westminster owns it now); the Kent's sold the historic Cambridge Sapphire tiara, which had been in Queen Mary's family for generations. The Queen does not want to see family pieces land upon the action table--I say Thank God for her "cheapness".

Old 03-29-2008, 04:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Am I mistaken in thinking that QEII overall style has changed dramatically since the death of her mother. She is wearing more flattering colours, even pastels and wonderfully whimsical hats which used the be the province of the Queen Mother.

Her style of jewelry has also changed. She seems to be wearing far more jewelry than she used to. Quite a lot of it came from her mother's "collection". Let's face it, she was hardly going to say "Mummy can I have the Jewels you wore as Consort back"?"

She has also become far more generous with "loaned" jewelry to the Princess Royal, Duchess of Wessex, and Camilla!

Every event seems to bring more and more "goodies" out of the vaults, e.g. the "Sunburst" brooch (last seen in 1937!) she wore at the last State Banquet.

Unfortunately we did not get enough really good photos of the other BRF ladies at that banquet, but I think we should be watching for a lot more "bling" (albeit tasteful) in the near future.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfizzle101 View Post
i am honestly upset over the tiaras issue between diana and camilla. i think diana should have been able to use more tiaras. if not given to her at least barrow them. i am sure that the royal family has plenty of tiaras to go around. queen mary own many tiaras and wasnt as cheap with the jewels as her granddaughter is
In addition to the points made by jcbcode99 above, here are a few more issues to consider. Firstly, Diana was very young when she became Princess of Wales. You don't often see young royals wearing very heavy jewellery. Secondly, "bling" was not really very "in" in the early 1980s - and as a result, Diana was unlikely to want to be seen in much jewellery. Thirdly, the economic environment in the early 1980s (the early days of the Thatcher era) was certainly not condusive to displaying much jewellery. Fourthly, from relatively early in the Wales marriage, it was clear there were very fundamental differences between the couple. In such an environment, it is highly unlikely that the Queen would give the PoW more jewellery. Had the relationship been on a more stable footing, I am sure in time more jewellery would have been made available to Diana.

I hate getting dragged into the Camilla vs Di thing, but whilst a lot has been reported about the large collection of jewellery that Camilla has, a lot of the bigger pieces (other than the tiaras) have been presents from middle eastern rulers and not from the Queen herself. The rubies (often referred to as the breastplate), the sapphires, the emeralds (not yet seen publicly), and possibly, one of the diamond necklaces are from the Saudi's. The only "big" pieces of jewellery (other than the tiaras) from the Queen that we have seen Camilla wear are the collet necklace worn on Camilla's 60th birthday (and again for the Fench banquet) and the Greville 5 strand necklace worn in Kampala for the CHOGM.

Also, it is important now for Camilla to be perceived very much a future Queen, because like it or not, the day when Charles succeeds to the throne is not that far away. There still remains a question as to Camilla's eventual title, so the last thing the BRF would want is to show that they do not fully support Camilla.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman View Post
And Oh Joy, Camilla, she of the fabulous ruby breastplate dripping with all those HUGE VULGAR rubies, oh horrors, has now had the opportunity to wear the Dehli Durbar, pant, slurp, drool without any emeralds, sigh, and the marvelous Greville tiara of the Queen Mother. I just wish one of our photoshopping geniui, Lady K, where are when we need you, would comforth and do his or her duty and plop the Dehli Durbar on the Marvelous Camilla with the breastplate of the HUGE, VULGAR rubies and everybody could have a canniption.

I, for one, am totally delighted. The more tiaras the better and the merrier. Everybody ought to have at least two, even if they were gotten from WallMart on sale and made from wrecked automobile galss.

I lmyself want to break into that bank vault in Tehran and steal that fabulous 8 inch aigrette with the sixty carat emerald and find myself a turban to go with it. With my luck I would get caught and beheaded before the screaming masses and outraged mullahs and set off an international crises and the price of oil would go past the moon.

I just wish they would start hauling out all those stomachers, of which they must have a barnful. A superbly tiaraed royal in full court dress with diamonds covering the bosom and dangling from the ears dripping down to the waist is one of those sights that just makes life worth living. Why, oh why did we ever have to go and have that confounded American Revolution. Cheers.

Oh, well done I'm still laughing
Old 03-31-2008, 03:39 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
In addition to the points made by jcbcode99 above, here are a few more issues to consider. Firstly, Diana was very young when she became Princess of Wales. You don't often see young royals wearing very heavy jewellery. Secondly, "bling" was not really very "in" in the early 1980s - and as a result, Diana was unlikely to want to be seen in much jewellery. Thirdly, the economic environment in the early 1980s (the early days of the Thatcher era) was certainly not condusive to displaying much jewellery. Fourthly, from relatively early in the Wales marriage, it was clear there were very fundamental differences between the couple. In such an environment, it is highly unlikely that the Queen would give the PoW more jewellery. Had the relationship been on a more stable footing, I am sure in time more jewellery would have been made available to Diana.

I hate getting dragged into the Camilla vs Di thing, but whilst a lot has been reported about the large collection of jewellery that Camilla has, a lot of the bigger pieces (other than the tiaras) have been presents from middle eastern rulers and not from the Queen herself. The rubies (often referred to as the breastplate), the sapphires, the emeralds (not yet seen publicly), and possibly, one of the diamond necklaces are from the Saudi's. The only "big" pieces of jewellery (other than the tiaras) from the Queen that we have seen Camilla wear are the collet necklace worn on Camilla's 60th birthday (and again for the Fench banquet) and the Greville 5 strand necklace worn in Kampala for the CHOGM.

Also, it is important now for Camilla to be perceived very much a future Queen, because like it or not, the day when Charles succeeds to the throne is not that far away. There still remains a question as to Camilla's eventual title, so the last thing the BRF would want is to show that they do not fully support Camilla.
Lovely post, Muriel, and all true, I might add.
Regarding the pieces which Camilla has worn, let's not forget the beautiful brooches and the engagement ring. Of course, they all hail from the Queen Mother, but still, that Leek brooch is amazing, the emerald drop earrings are stunning, that fantastic brooch she wore at ascot with the orange stone, and other beautiful pieces as well. And, as I said the engagement ring. What a stunner!
Camilla also had lovely, versitile pieces coming into the marriage--Diana only had a few simple pieces.

A new topic--regarding distribution--I've always been curious about the Kents distribution of jewels. It seems that Prince Michael got more substantial pieces than the Duke of Kent--of course, The Duke and his wife have sold off so many pieces I am happy that Prince Michael received as much as he did. Pity that Marina' bow brooch was sold.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Diana was very young and very attractive. She needed little to make her look royal. Her clothing designs did not call for big pieces of jewelry. She looked lovely. Camilla is far older and can carry off these larger pieces. Also, these are the QM pieces. They were not available before her death. I think the intention was that Charles would inherit them, but they would go through his mother to save on the inheritance taxes. Very clever. "Gifted" and not given, is an awful play on words. A gift is just that. Loaned would be a better word for "gifted", because that is all it is.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:17 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
I doubt the Queen would countenance her daughter-in-law borrowing jewels. Especially after Diana borrowed a necklace from Collingwoods for some engagement photo's and it was subsequently offered with a bogus provenance stating that it was Spencer property being sold to pay for the wedding!

Actually Sophie did borrow a necklace for Mary's wedding day and i have also seen Fergie in the last few years wearing exactly the SAME necklace so unless the Queen as started to let Fergie have access to the vaults which i doubt then royals DO BORROW from major jewellers

Tags
british royal family, jewellery, tiaras