Diana's Jewels: Potential Division Between William and Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Who will get the famous sapphire choker?

No one knows of course and we may never see either of them wear it. it could be saved for one of their children (or their spouse)..it could be taken apart and re-set.

I think if anyone ends up with it, it will be Kate. It is more her style and stone color.

LaRae

I have to laugh when people assume a stone is someone's stone or something will go to them because it's the same stone as her engagement ring. If that's the case, Princess Anne owns sapphire more than anyone in BRF.

Diana's jewels will show up when they show up. Although, with the limited amount of formal events these days, it could take awhile.

It seems to me that Harry got very little of Diana's jewellery. Apart from one ring, one unspectacular bracelet and some tiny butterfly earrings and a couple of stones in her engagement ring what else has appeared? And Kate, as well as Meghan, is minimalist in her everyday jewellery but she has worn various larger pieces from Diana's collection over the years, including of course the engagement ring. So it seems Harry got what was left over.

Last edited:
We don't know what Harry received. He only got married in May last year. Diana's jewels were left to both William and Harry so they would have been shared equally. Meghan has very minimalist jewelry tastes in her everyday life and is developing her own jewel collection. It will take her a while before she starts wearing the significant jewels from Diana..just as it took a while for Catherine to wear them.

Right we have no way of knowing what Harry got ..we don't know what kind of agreement he and William worked out....we won't know until we see things being worn. There's no reason though to think Harry only got leftovers.

There are so few events for them to wear the big pieces...it may be years before we see most of them.

LaRae

But we don't know how the jewels were divided and who divided them. If it was some Royal official in conjunction with the teenage Princes soon after Diana's death how do we know what his/her thought processes were?

Was it that William's wife would be Prss of Wales and then Queen so William should by rights get the lion's share of what was left after the majority of the 'official' jewellery went back to the Royal Vaults, and the then quite naive teenage Princes agreed?

We don't know that the brothers were grown men when this jewellery was divided. If they were, all well and good. If it was divided unequally then that leaves the wife of a son of the Prince of Wales reliant on loans for many major occasions from her grandmother in law/mother in law and then sister in law for the rest of her life as a Royal.

We already know Meghan has had to borrow earrings from a jeweller for a couple of appearances. If there was a king's ransom of jewels at Harry's disposal then surely logically she would have worn a pair from the collection.

God knows Diana didn't receive that much private jewellery from Charles after the marriage went pear-shaped and things like the Saudi parures may well have gone back to the vaults.

Last edited:
I don't recall anyone confirming Meghan has borrowed earrings from a jeweler. That was speculated by the media but there's no reason to think that is any more accurate than the idea she borrowed them from Camilla or another friend.

She may not want to wear big pieces very often..she doesn't wear much jewelry at all. So I don't know that she has 'had to' borrow anything.

LaRae

Well for instance, it has been reported that engagement ring was Harry's, and He gave it to William after they decided that the first to marry would get it.

Right we have no way of knowing what Harry got ..we don't know what kind of agreement he and William worked out....we won't know until we see things being worn. There's no reason though to think Harry only got leftovers.

There are so few events for them to wear the big pieces...it may be years before we see most of them.

LaRae

:previous: I agree Pranter. Perhaps we should keep in mind that Meghan has yet to attend a tiara/gala event in the UK, so IMO it is too early to speculate as to what pieces from Diana's jewelry will be available for each of the Wales' brothers wives to wear.

1) One of the most sentimental items in Diana’s collection is the gold and pearl heart necklace she received from Charles after William’s birth. Diana wore it in the first Snowdon photograph with baby Prince William and Charles. I assume this would go to William, since he was the baby connected to it originally. It may be that William gifted this already to Kate after George’s birth, but she has not chosen to wear it publicly.

Diana’s gold charm bracelet (wombat, tennis racket) is a highly sentimental item that I wouldn’t expect either Kate or Megan to wear.

2) Charles inherited the Queen Mother’s extensive private jewels collection. We’ve seen Camilla in some of the pieces, but there is a lot more. In the future, we may see more of the QM’s pieces on Kate and Meghan. Kate’s mysterious sapphire earrings might be from the QM’s collection.

I believe the emerald choker necklace/headband was once Queen Mary’s and would have gone back to the Queen’s vaults.

I can see both Kate and Megan appreciating the jewels from Diana, yet with so much emotion still tied to her legacy, they might be very selective in what they wear publicly. The reappearance of these items, especially for the first time, creates such a hullabaloo. It may be easier for Charlotte and other future granddaughters to wear some of Diana’s smaller pieces down the road.

1) One of the most sentimental items in Diana’s collection is the gold and pearl heart necklace she received from Charles after William’s birth. Diana wore it in the first Snowdon photograph with baby Prince William and Charles. I assume this would go to William, since he was the baby connected to it originally. It may be that William gifted this already to Kate after George’s birth, but she has not chosen to wear it publicly.

I remember reading in a book, though which one escapes me at the moment, that Diana purchased the pearl heart necklace using a legacy she received. The necklace she got from Charles is the wire necklace with the gold medallion that has "William" written in Charles's handwriting.

This is the one I am talking about:
https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/...sarah-armstrong-jones-at-news-photo/873574156

It seems to me that Harry got very little of Diana's jewellery. Apart from one ring, one unspectacular bracelet and some tiny butterfly earrings and a couple of stones in her engagement ring what else has appeared? And Kate, as well as Meghan, is minimalist in her everyday jewellery but she has worn various larger pieces from Diana's collection over the years, including of course the engagement ring. So it seems Harry got what was left over.

There is a huge difference here. Kate has been in the royal family for almost 8 years. And in the early years of marriage she didnt wear many big pieces either, either from Diana or from the queen. In the past eight years she has had countless gala events wear we have seen her in jewels. And she has slowly started wearing larger pieces from the collection.

Meghan has only been a royal for nine months. She has attended a very small number of evening events. And really very few that would call for significant jewels.

Meghan and Kate are very different. Yes Kate has simpler style in day time, but in evening she very much likes the etherial princess feel. Her gowns and accessories fit that feel. Meghan on the other hand, her modern stream line look from day, translates to night. Many of Diana's jewels are large and very in your face, not a lot of subtle or modern looks. Its not surprising she has only worn a small piece or two, simple ones, from Diana.

If Charles is willing to share, if she does go for some of the older bling, some of the queen mother's pieces would likely suit her much better. The art deco style the Queen mum enjoyed is a bit more along Meghan's style. Some bling without being OTT.

Need to give it more time to see what Meghan ends up wearing. It may be there are pieces that just don't suit either woman. They may stay in the vaults.

But we don't know how the jewels were divided and who divided them. If it was some Royal official in conjunction with the teenage Princes soon after Diana's death how do we know what his/her thought processes were?

Was it that William's wife would be Prss of Wales and then Queen so William should by rights get the lion's share of what was left after the majority of the 'official' jewellery went back to the Royal Vaults, and the then quite naive teenage Princes agreed?

Even if they decided as kids, it wasn't written in blood. The 'naïve boy' would not be out of luck. We know that when it came time for William to propose, the whole issue of the ring came up.

If anything, it would more likely be the opposite. As future POW and queen consort, Kate will have access to a mountain of official jewels one day. It would have made more sense for Harry's wife to get the private jewels.

But there is no reason to believe, based off 9 months, to think it wasn't even.

We don't know that the brothers were grown men when this jewellery was divided. If they were, all well and good. If it was divided unequally then that leaves the wife of a son of the Prince of Wales reliant on loans for many major occasions from her grandmother in law/mother in law and then sister in law for the rest of her life as a Royal.

We already know Meghan has had to borrow earrings from a jeweller for a couple of appearances. If there was a king's ransom of jewels at Harry's disposal then surely logically she would have worn a pair from the collection.

God knows Diana didn't receive that much private jewellery from Charles after the marriage went pear-shaped and things like the Saudi parures may well have gone back to the vaults.

One thing to note was that it took several years for Kate to start wearing Diana's jewelry (excluding the engagement ring). To my recollection, it wasn't until the end of 2015-2016 that we saw Kate reach for more Diana pieces (the Lover's Knot, pearl earrings and necklace, etc...) Right now Meghan, like Kate in 2011-15, is trying to establish her own role in the BRF without inviting 8752 Diana comparisons. Give her a couple of years and I'm sure Meghan will start debuting more Diana pieces.

Plus, we won't know who got some pieces because it might not be their taste and end up in the vault. If the collection was split after Diana's death, rather than being left whole until the boys married, then pieces wouldn't be distributed based on taste. Maybe whoever has the sapphire choker thinks it looks matronly and never ends up wearing it? There will probably be pieces unseen for years until one of the grandkids or great-grandkids polishes it off, so I hesitate to assume some sort of Machiavellian scheme to con Harry out of Diana's jewelry until I see evidence to the contrary.

:previous: the lover's knot tiara isn't Diana's, is it?

The Lover's Knot tiara was a lifetime loan to Diana from the Queen and was returned to HM's vaults after Diana died.

I thought she left it all to the Queen, to exclude it from inheritance tax.

Indeed. The Queen has since lent Camilla quite a lot of jewels from QEQMs collection.

I suppose that Diana left her property to her sons, assuming that she would outlive her mother-in-law!

Generally people leave their property to their children rather than ot an ex mother in law.

Give me the necklace!! It's my birthday in June!! :D

I read somewhere that Diana left William her cartier tank watch and Harry her engagement ring. He gave it back to William so he could give it to Kate. I don't know what happened to the tiara she was married in but I assume her brother has it? I didn't think it was a royal tiara but it belonged to Diana's family. Not sure about that either.

I read somewhere that Diana left William her cartier tank watch and Harry her engagement ring. He gave it back to William so he could give it to Kate. I don't know what happened to the tiara she was married in but I assume her brother has it? I didn't think it was a royal tiara but it belonged to Diana's family. Not sure about that either.

Indeed, the tiara she wore at her wedding was the Spencer family tiara, which belongs to the Earl Spencer.

The tiara is one of two Spencer family tiaras. It traditionally only worn by the countess Spencer or by the daughters of the earl. Diana’s brother allowed her to continue to use it but yes it’s a possession of her family.

http://www.thecourtjeweller.com/2014/07/spencer-tiara.html?m=1

It was on tour with some of her things. It was worn by her niece Cecilia for her wedding in 2018.

https://ca.hellomagazine.com/royalty/02018061845767/princess-diana-niece-wears-spencer-tiara

Diana never wore it but since I mentioned two tiaras this is the other Spencer tiara. The older one in the family.

http://www.thecourtjeweller.com/2014/09/saturday-sparkler-spencer-honeysuckle.html?m=1

Last edited:

She left her property to her 2 sons.. not individiaul items.

The Court Jeweller

Today The Court Jeweller featured Diana's Omani Sapphire Suite. Some of the commenters thought it looked dated, but I like its sleekness.

I was wondering if these jewels along with the other pieces gifted to The Princess of Wales by various heads of state are inherited by William and Harry or revert to the Crown? Or stay with Charles? Did Diana retain these jewels after her divorce? I tried a "search" here about the rules pertaining to such gifts but it didn't provide my answer.

Back
Top Bottom