Diana's Jewels: Potential Division Between William and Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why was the Swan lake set sold? Did it belong to Diana or to the RF? if to Diana, did W and Harry sell it?

I don't believe she ever owned the Swan Lake set. In fact, she didn't wear the entire set, just the necklace.

Why was the Swan lake set sold? Did it belong to Diana or to the RF? if to Diana, did W and Harry sell it?

I don't believe she ever owned the Swan Lake set. In fact, she didn't wear the entire set, just the necklace.

Thats right, she never owned the Swan Lake necklace, she merely borrowed it from the jeweller and wore it on one ocassion. I have no idea why she borrowed it, but it may have been, IMO, as she adjusted to her status of no longer being a member of the BRF.

Thats right, she never owned the Swan Lake necklace, she merely borrowed it from the jeweller and wore it on one ocassion. I have no idea why she borrowed it, but it may have been, IMO, as she adjusted to her status of no longer being a member of the BRF.

Yes that was explained.. I was just puzzled why if it was part of her own jewellery collection, why it was sold.. but obviously it did not belong to her at all. Im not really sure why it was in the article.. as it wasn't actually HER necklace..
I was aslo as I've said a bit surprised by the article sayng that she liked emeralds.. as I have seen it in a book that she didn't like them.. Perhaps she was superstitious about them as some people are.. She did wear emeralds but only occasionally when she wore very grand dresses of green. I think Sapphires and pearls were her favourites.

Yes that was explained.. I was just puzzled why if it was part of her own jewellery collection, why it was sold.. but obviously it did not belong to her at all. Im not really sure why it was in the article.. as it wasn't actually HER necklace..
I was aslo as I've said a bit surprised by the article sayng that she liked emeralds.. as I have seen it in a book that she didn't like them.. Perhaps she was superstitious about them as some people are.. She did wear emeralds but only occasionally when she wore very grand dresses of green. I think Sapphires and pearls were her favourites.

Most books and articles on Diana and her jewellery, IMO, are often riddled with inaccuracies.

I actually think Diana liked emeralds a lot. She wore her Delhi Durbar emerald and diamond choker quite a lot, often with the earrings and / or bracelet Charles had got for her.

Another problem [for observers] to fathom is Diana's habit of wearing 'costume' jewels..
Much of what she wore, and we saw was 'fake' and unlikely to have been kept..

We can only wait and watch, for stuff to pop up on the Duchesses as time passes..

It was either Majesty or Royalty magazine that said that Diana commissioned the Swan Lake pearl necklace and earrings from the jeweller. The set wasn't finished - still making the earrings so they lent the princess the necklace for that evening. The whole set was not paid for. So the jeweller still owned the set and were perfectly in their right to sell.

It was either Majesty or Royalty magazine that said that Diana commissioned the Swan Lake pearl necklace and earrings from the jeweller. The set wasn't finished - still making the earrings so they lent the princess the necklace for that evening. The whole set was not paid for. So the jeweller still owned the set and were perfectly in their right to sell.
That's my understanding as well. Diana intended to purchase the set but since the set was not finished she had not paid for the set so the jeweler still owned the set.

Actually, I think the "big and famous" pieces that Diana wore were returned to the Queen's vault when she died. The Lover's Knot tiara is a good example of this.

I also don't see either William and Harry quibbling about who gets what and who wears what and neither William and Harry are going to wear their mother's jewels either. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if, for the most part, Diana's private jewelry ends up with Meghan for the sole reason that with Kate eventually going to be Queen, she's going to have the massive jewelry vault that the Queen has for her own personal use.

It does seem logical though that Kate would be seen first wearing Diana's sapphires as they go with Diana's engagement ring that is now Kate's. To me, Meghan would look spectacular in emeralds. Or... for all we know, the sisters-in-law will share depending on what they're wearing. ;)

Why should Kate get the Sapphire choker?

Because she is the senior Daughter-in-Law and it is the senior Jewel in the late Princess' collection..
Also she 'has the presence' for it, which the Duchess of Sussex [for the moment] lacks...

Why should Kate get the Sapphire choker?

I believe we are talking about the large sapphire pendant as a centre piece for the pearl strand choker. It would go very nicely with the Lovers Knot Pearl tiara and Collingwood pearl earrings. This sapphire I believe used to belong to the Queen Mum.

However, there is a second very large magnificent sapphire pendant surrounded by bagette diamonds on a thin diamond chain. I think it is part of The Saudi Crown jewel sapphire set. This second sapphire would suit Meghan better IMO.

I think both sapphires can be worn as brooches to hold a sash in place on top of the shoulder.

Last edited:
Oh I think Meghan has plenty of 'presence' and I also believe that Diana would not have wanted one daughter in law to be placed above another.

Her jewellery should be shared in a fair way not according to Royal precedence.

If Diana, whose jewels they were, would have wanted her older son's wife to have got the lion's share or the more valuable pieces, then she would have said so in her will. Why should Harry's wife be left with the scraps?

There is also another very large sapphire brooch (cabochon)surrounded by diamonds belonging to the Queen with a provenance dating back to the Empress Marie Feodorovna of Russia. She was Princess Dagmar of Denmark and sister to Queen Alexandra. This sapphire is 260 carats and was a wedding gift from Tsar Alexander II to Princess Dagmar. Smuggled out of Russia during the revolution and bought by Queen Mary who gave it to the Queen Mother.
So there are a great many substantial jewels to go around. Because Catherine will become Queen one day I suspect she will end up with the majority.

IMO, that large sapphire choker is not in Meghan's style or taste! She favors small, simple jewels and that choker is the complete opposite to Meghan's asthetic.

Well, if Kate does get the majority of Diana's jewels that will go directly against the spirit of how Diana directed her jewellery be distributed. Plus, because Kate will get access to the vaults as Queen consort, doesn't mean getting everything else as well along the way.

Sorry Curryong I didn't clarify my meaning. I meant Catherine will inherit the majority of important pieces from the Queens collection. I have no idea how the boys will divide Diana's jewels.

I am sure the two brothers, who go along very well, will divide eventual jewels in all reasonability. Whatever the outcome, the two will have discussed it.

Because she is not the only daughter in law. I think some of you guys think because its a big and famous piece it should go to Kate. That's unfair.

because she's the future queen it is likely that she will be wearing more of the big pieces. Tthere are now less "grand" occasions where ladies wear tiaras and large jewellery pieces and by the law of averages Meg will attend less of these than Kate does...

Well, if Kate does get the majority of Diana's jewels that will go directly against the spirit of how Diana directed her jewellery be distributed. Plus, because Kate will get access to the vaults as Queen consort, doesn't mean getting everything else as well along the way.

I don't believe that Diana directed her jewellery to be left in any particular way, did she? In her will, she just divided her property between the 2 sons.. equally, so roughly speaking Wil and Harry should get half shares of the jewels for their wives.... but probably as K is the future queen, she may get more of the grander pieces. Of course she will also have access to the royal jewels.. but so will Meghan be able to use them as the King/Queen wishes///

IMO, that large sapphire choker is not in Meghan's style or taste! She favors small, simple jewels and that choker is the complete opposite to Meghan's asthetic.

hat is perceived to be Meghan's aesthetic today may be a function of what she has had access to so far. Times change, as do people. As she gets access to bigger and more valuable jewellery, we may see her style evolve to incorporate the larger pieces.

This was the same argument one would her in relation to the Duchess of Cambridge. Watching her at the state banquet for the Dutch, one does not get the feeling that she does not like or cannot carry off the large statement pieces that she now has access to.

Oh I think Meghan has plenty of 'presence' and I also believe that Diana would not have wanted one daughter in law to be placed above another.

Her jewellery should be shared in a fair way not according to Royal precedence.

If Diana, whose jewels they were, would have wanted her older son's wife to have got the lion's share or the more valuable pieces, then she would have said so in her will. Why should Harry's wife be left with the scraps?

I don't believe anybody is suggesting that "Harry's wife be left with the scraps". All that is being talked about is how the jewels should potentially be split. At tht start of this thread, I listed a suggested split. Please feel free to comment on that.

It may even be possible that both Kate and Meghan couldn't give a hoot about what's in Diana's private jewelry box and neither of them care for the pieces that Diana wore back then.

I just don't see them making a big deal out of who gets what. The pieces that we have seen these ladies wear, they have made their own such as Diana's engagement ring that is Kate's and Diana's aquamarine ring that is Meghan's.

I really hope the sapphire Omani set will go to Meghan. She will look gorgeous in it.
The 2 strand pearl choker with amethyst clasp.
The single strand large pearl necklace with acorn style clasp.
The 2 strand twisted necklace.
The heart pearl earring with diamond cross.
The thin diamond necklace that joins together at the throat.
The diamond stud earring with pear shaped sapphire drop.
And as she has the large aquamarine ring she should get the matching pearl bracelet with large aquamarine.

Not sure about the rest.

Having said all that in post no 52, I have already picked out a lot of jewels from HMs collection that I would love to see Meghan wear.

It may even be possible that both Kate and Meghan couldn't give a hoot about what's in Diana's private jewelry box and neither of them care for the pieces that Diana wore back then.

I just don't see them making a big deal out of who gets what. The pieces that we have seen these ladies wear, they have made their own such as Diana's engagement ring that is Kate's and Diana's aquamarine ring that is Meghan's.

I think they probably cared about the rings, because they knew they were important to Will and Harry.. W gave kate Diana's engagement ring, and Harry gave Meghan the aquamarine ring that was special to Diana in her 30s. I don't think that either of htem has the presence, to wear ANY of Diana's "big pieces".. and they may not care for them that much...

Personally, I'd rather see the choker setting done away with and the sapphire returned to a brooch fitting. It would have much more wearability that way and could be used in the evening to secure a sash, on a belt or on a lapel during the day.

Fact is that neither Kate or Meghan may want the majority of Diana's jewelry. That jewelry may in fact be saved for the children of William/Harry. Some of Diana's jewelry, as pointed out, was costume (apparently Diana said she got a kick out of wearing it) and not likely kept. The real pieces ..some of those are not very modern/wearable with today's fashion and both boys seem to have married women who are not into big pieces (outside specific events) or wearing much jewelry at all.

We've seen Kate wear..3 or 4 items that were Diana's. We've seen Meghan wear a couple I think. That may be all we ever see them wear. Either way..I don't think Meghan is getting scraps or it's being divided unfairly. Division (their version) was worked out long ago between William and Harry.

LaRae

My suggestions for splitting:

CATHERINE
Sapphire choker
Saudi sapphire parure

MEGHAN
Emerald and diamond earrings and matching bracelet
Pearl and diamond pendant earrings
Omani sapphire suite
Aquamarines

My updated suggestions for splitting:

CATHERINE
Sapphire choker
Saudi sapphire parure
Pearl drop earrings (Collingwood)
Pearl and diamond bracelet (already used)

MEGHAN
Emerald and diamond earrings and matching bracelet
Pearl and diamond pendant earrings
Omani sapphire suite
Aquamarines: Ring, bracelet with pearls, drop earrings
Gold bracelet (already used in Australia)
Butterfly earrings (already used in Australia)
Gold Cartier Tank watch

Back
Top Bottom