Danish Jewels: Suggested Additions and Alterations

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muriel

Imperial Majesty
City
London / Guildford
Country
United Kingdom
I thought it would be useful to have one place where suggested changes and additions to the Danish royal jewel haul can be discussed

I would love to see Queen Margarethe get a nice turquoise and diamond necklace to supplement her turquoise tiara - perhaps something like the turquoise necklace worn by the Duchess of Cornwall.

Alternatively, if she could get a nice new turquoise and diamond tiara, her existing turquoise tiara could be altered to make a nice necklace

To be honest, I would hate to see the turquoise bandeau changed. I got so used to seeing it as a tiara and think it is quite lovely. Also it is good that the Queen has one small tiara to wear at low key visits to republics. At these visits a big gun tiara would look preposterous. But a fitting necklace would be a nice idea.

One tiara I would like to change is Marie's floral tiara. Those spaced diamonds a the base somehow look a bit rediculous and they don't fit the antique style of the tiara. Imo the tiara looked better before those diamonds were added.

To be honest, I would hate to see the turquoise bandeau changed. I got so used to seeing it as a tiara and think it is quite lovely. Also it is good that the Queen has one small tiara to wear at low key visits to republics. At these visits a big gun tiara would look preposterous. But a fitting necklace would be a nice idea.

Perhaps QM could get a nice and elaborate turquoise and diamond brooch that, when required, could be added to a collet necklace or a pearl necklace to become a married parure with the existing turquoise bandeau.

Perhaps QM could get a nice and elaborate turquoise and diamond brooch that, when required, could be added to a collet necklace or a pearl necklace to become a married parure with the existing turquoise bandeau.

Actually she has several turqiose brooches/pendants which have been used in differetn ways (together as a sort of stomacher) or as pendants on a necklace. She has also a nice turqiose necklace which she got for her 75th birthday but it is set in yellow/gold so it would not looked best paired with the turqiose bandeau.

It would be great if after Princess Benedikte's passing, the Star and Pearl tiara could be acquired by the Danish RF. If the tiara coudl then be altered such that the pearls on that could then be made removable, ad potentially replacable with sapphires, amethysts or perhaps rubies.

It would be great if Princess Thyra's Sapphire Tiara belongs back to the main royal familiy, after the death of Princess Elisabeth. Its not my favourite Sapphire Tiara but it would be a nice option for Princess Marie or later Princess Isabella & Princess Josephine

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: Princess Thyra's Sapphire Tiara

Great. If it were to come back, I hope it rejoins the main line" of the DRF so it can be used with the lovely sapphire and diamond necklace of Russian provenance that QM wears.

i don't like the current setting of the sapphire necklace i think it needs to be altered maybe something like the cholmondeley sapphire necklace i think that setting would show the sapphires much better .

i don't like the current setting of the sapphire necklace i think it needs to be altered maybe something like the cholmondeley sapphire necklace i think that setting would show the sapphires much better .

There are a lot fewer sapphire and diamond clusters on the Danish necklace, hence it's setting. The DRF are not big spenders on jewels, so even if they wanted to change the design, they are unlikely to.

There are a lot fewer sapphire and diamond clusters on the Danish necklace, hence it's setting. The DRF are not big spenders on jewels, so even if they wanted to change the design, they are unlikely to.

actually there is more sapphire and diamond clusters but the queen has shortened it and there is at least 2-3 more clusters .
here she is wearing two additional clusters as a hair pins and another one as a brooch and here's a photo of the necklace before it was shortened .

It is good to see that in recent years Mary has quietly and discretely been adding to her jewellery collection by buying well at Bruun Rasmussen and other places.

I think a useful and versatile addition to Mary's collection would be a nice pearl and diamond choker necklace, something along the lines of what Camilla has a few. I know that pearls and chokers per se are not the most fashionable thinsg amongst the younger royals, but I think they add a certain elegance and gravitas when done well, and lets also be clear, Mary is not that young any more.

Another potential change I was going to suggest was the addition of a turquoise or amethysts option for Mary's wedding tiara.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: Mary's Wedding Tiara

Princess Sofia of Sweden has demonstrated how a versatile small diamond tiara can be used as a base for many coloured stones, but it does need to be appreciated that Sofia's "base" tiara is a bot more substantial than Mary's wedding tiara.

I think a useful and versatile addition to Mary's collection would be a nice pearl and diamond choker necklace, something along the lines of what Camilla has a few. I know that pearls and chokers per se are not the most fashionable thinsg amongst the younger royals, but I think they add a certain elegance and gravitas when done well, and lets also be clear, Mary is not that young any more.

She as an an pearl choker with an aquamarine clasp surrounded by sapphires which was given to her by Crown Prince Frederik most likely as engagement gift. Buit she doen not wear it very often

The Nightly Necklace: Crown Princess Mary's Aquamarine and Pearl Choker Necklace | The Court Jeweller

She as an an pearl choker with an aquamarine clasp surrounded by sapphires which was given to her by Crown Prince Frederik most likely as engagement gift. Buit she doen not wear it very often

The Nightly Necklace: Crown Princess Mary's Aquamarine and Pearl Choker Necklace | The Court Jeweller

I appreciate that, and that choker has been put to good use by her over the years. The reason I suggested a pearl and diamond choker is that it would be more versatile, and could probably, in the right setting, be usable for formal daytime events, like the New Year courts.

To be honest I think right about now we are all suffering from BLING withdrawal symptoms.
I really don't care what the royals wear at this point I just want to see some major bling.
I wouldn't mind seeing Mary with a two row choker with a central piece. Trouble is chokers are not very modern these days.
Although Camilla still pulls them off very well.

When it comes to jewellery it is a bit like perfume. It is an intimate and personal choice. When I look at Mary I somehow don't see pearl chokers except the one with the giant hexagonal aquamarine surrounded by either bright sapphires or tanzanite. But she always wears it for special tiara type events and the gowns are more dainty and ethereal than elegant and chic. That she saves for those glorious intertwined black and white pearls. Now those are a "Mary" statement piece.

:ohmy:'Bling withdrawal' is quite the word for it, Tarlita.:flowers:

I don't know about turquoise for Mary's wedding tiara. They don't work too well for Sofia's tiara, though the art deco inspired style of Sofia's tiara is much more 'solid' than Mary's fragile and dainty looking wedding tiara. Imo, turquoises are to opaque for that tiara, but maybe aquamarines would work, as they are transparent. I think that tiara would need faceted drops while cabouchon drops would clash with the tiara design. Besides, aquamarines would match her beautiful chandelier earrings and that pearl choker mentioned above.

:ohmy:'Bling withdrawal' is quite the word for it, Tarlita.:flowers:

I don't know about turquoise for Mary's wedding tiara. They don't work too well for Sofia's tiara, though the art deco inspired style of Sofia's tiara is much more 'solid' than Mary's fragile and dainty looking wedding tiara. Imo, turquoises are to opaque for that tiara, but maybe aquamarines would work, as they are transparent. I think that tiara would need faceted drops while cabouchon drops would clash with the tiara design. Besides, aquamarines would match her beautiful chandelier earrings and that pearl choker mentioned above.

I see the obvious attraction of aquamarines, given the other aquamarine jewellery in Mary's collection. My concern is that, given the "dainty" nature of the base tiara, the aquamarines will be quite small, and perhaps not that visible. Which is why I think the added stones will probably need to be a stronger colour, like amethysts, possibly sapphires or even emeralds.

Last edited:
It would be great if Princess Thyra's Sapphire Tiara belongs back to the main royal familiy, after the death of Princess Elisabeth. Its not my favourite Sapphire Tiara but it would be a nice option for Princess Marie or later Princess Isabella & Princess Josephine

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: Princess Thyra's Sapphire Tiara

Do we have any more information about the whereabouts of Princess Thyra's sapphire tiara? It would be great to see it on Mary or HM.

I have a question that I think is important. Could the Khedive of Egypt Tiara return to the Royal Family of Denmark in the future? The tiara was inherited by Queen Anne-Marie in 2000 and it would be a shame if it were lost to time....

https://royalwatcherblog.com/2020/05/01/khedive-of-egypt-tiara/

I fear it will not return to the Danish line, unless Mary were to acquire it from the Greek's after Anne-Marie's passing. The 3 Greek Princes have married very well, and will probably not need to sell any of the jewellery for money, so I suspect the Khedieve will not be returning to the Danish line any time soon.

Who will inherit the Queen Sophia Pearl and Diamond Star Tiara, when Benedikte passes?

Who will inherit the Queen Sophia Pearl and Diamond Star Tiara, when Benedikte passes?

Believe that he can stay for his son and Princess Carina and thus remain in the princely house. But it would be nice if this tiara could also return to the Royal Family of Denmark through an agreement.
In fact, the Royal House of Denmark should have a foundation with the most important Jewels, as happens in Sweden.

I fear it will not return to the Danish line, unless Mary were to acquire it from the Greek's after Anne-Marie's passing. The 3 Greek Princes have married very well, and will probably not need to sell any of the jewellery for money, so I suspect the Khedieve will not be returning to the Danish line any time soon.

The fact that Anne-Marie willingly loans it to her nieces for their weddings shows that she's aware and respectful of its significance to Ingrid's descendants.

Anne-Marie is also not a fool. I think she's perfectly aware that the chance of Greece restoring the monarchy is slim to none. And that it would make much more sense for a tiara with such a great familial significance to the DRF to remain in the DRF. For those reasons, I'd personally be very surprised if it ends up in Greek hands after her passing.

Ideally, she pulls a Juliana and places the Khedive in a foundation for members of the DRF to use as well as for female descendants of Ingrid to loan for their weddings. But I think she might also just leave it for the Danish monarch.

I don't give up hope that the Khedieve will return to Danmark. Alexia has her own tiara. Olympia has the Miller Fringe. Theodora and Tatiana can take turns with the Antique Corsage, and Marie-Chantal has Queen Sophie's Diamond Tiara...no less! More than enough, the Khedieve has to return to the Danish vaults.

Edit: I forgot about the rubies and emeralds. The Khedive isn't needed by the Greek ladies at all.

Last edited:
The fact that Anne-Marie willingly loans it to her nieces for their weddings shows that she's aware and respectful of its significance to Ingrid's descendants.

Anne-Marie is also not a fool. I think she's perfectly aware that the chance of Greece restoring the monarchy is slim to none. And that it would make much more sense for a tiara with such a great familial significance to the DRF to remain in the DRF. For those reasons, I'd personally be very surprised if it ends up in Greek hands after her passing.

Ideally, she pulls a Juliana and places the Khedive in a foundation for members of the DRF to use as well as for female descendants of Ingrid to loan for their weddings. But I think she might also just leave it for the Danish monarch.

I don't give up hope that the Khedieve will return to Danmark. Alexia has her own tiara. Olympia has the Miller Fringe. Theodora and Tatiana can take turns with the Antique Corsage, and Marie-Chantal has Queen Sophie's Diamond Tiara...no less! More than enough, the Khedieve has to return to the Danish vaults.

I can only hope that you are both correct, only time will tell.

Last edited:

And Nina? What about? She can buy an own tiara?

I thought it was interesting she wore the Khedieve tiara in Sweden for the Jubilee. Given only Scandinavian royals attended I thought it showed she recognises the fact the Khedieve is important to Denmark and she was attending as a member of the Danish RF rather than the Greek.

Back
Top Bottom