Crown Princess Victoria Wedding Tiara

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But also the Cameo tiara has not been seen for quiet some time. Did Queen Silvia wear it again after the State Visit to Austria 2 years ago? It will be intersting to see what tiara the Queen wear this year at Nobel. I think also the nine-pronge tiara could make a nice Wedding tiara.
At last i hope Vicotira wears a tiara on her Wedding Day she has not worn before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boris, you are brilliant! Of course, if the buttons are not seen at the Nobles it may well mean that we will see them with bridal lace!!! How beautiful would that be??

I don't think that Victoria should wear the Cameo tiara - it does not fit her and the simple and classic style she seems to prefer. Queen Sylvia always wears more dramatic dresses and jewelry -which perfectly fits her.
So let's wait for the surprise. :)

On her special day she will wear what is most meaningful to her. She will look glorious in the cameo tiara as well as any of the others.

[FONT=verdana, arial]I think it would be nice to see her wearing the tiara that Princess Lilian uses since she might not attend the wedding. [/FONT]

I'd like to see a reworked button tiara, however, anything but her 18th birthday tiara is fine with me. That thing is ugly.

I'd like to see a reworked button tiara, however, anything but her 18th birthday tiara is fine with me. That thing is ugly.

While I agree on the sentimental value of wearing the cameo tiara, I would also be happy with anything other than the 18th birthday tiara. IMHO the only time this has ever looked even close to acceptable was the first time Victoria wore it at the 1995 Nobel ceremony. I believe she is a beautiful woman but the design doesn't work w face that is softly rounded. The only angular part of her face is her chin and the spiky-design would only look good with a sharply angular, gaunt type face.

In addition, the stones are so small as to produce almost no sparkle, both the sapphires and diamonds.

Personally, I think they should remove the stones, melt down the metal and reshape it into demi-parure of bracelet and/or ring and/or earrings and, because of sentiment, put it in the foundation for the use of the eldest daughter of every generation throughout her teens (13-18) then give her an appropriate tiara for her 18th birthday.

Rascal

Last edited:
I think Victoria Will wear the cameo tiara, in honor of her mother, after all she picked her parent's anniversary as her wedding date....Victoria seems to honor tradition, and I think wearing the Cameo will be in keeping with that!

Using the date is enough of honoring, the same tiara would be over kill dont you think? It's not even an old tradition, her mother and 3 aunts started it, its not much of a tradition.

Perhaps the choice of the cameo tiara would be less honoring tradition than a sentimental choice on Victoria's part, since she already seems to be using sentiment guide her choices (given that she based her wedding date on her parents').

There just appeared a new official photo of Victoria with the six button tiara. Both button tiaras have been often worn by various family members, so maybe the Bernadottes don't share our aversion against them. So I guess that (unfortunately) there are no plans of re-setting the rosettes for a new wedding tiara.
I am pretty sure that both Victoria and Madeleine will wear a special tiara on their wedding days, meaning: a tiara they did not wear before. So I can't imagine that we will see any of the fringe or buttons tiaras on the brides heads. My favourite would be the Connaught tiara. It looks so romantic and is not as overbearing as the cameo. The nine prongs would not be bad either, but I imagine that the Queen will keep it to herself. And actually I think that Victoria will continue the tradition to wear the cameo tiara together with the old veil her mother already wore. After all she eveb will marry on the same day as their parents.

The cameo tiara awful? You must be kidding... one of the most beautiful examples of the early 19th century French jewelry art in any current royal collection.
The name of the tiara you're asking for is Connaught diamond tiara, a wedding gift to Crown Princess Margaret of Sweden (born of Connaught) in 1905.

I'm sorry I don't like the Cameo, i think it looks hideos on Silvia for her wedding day and I don't think it will suit Victoria. :)

Yes, that's the picture I meant. I don't like the cameo tiara that much either, although I wouldn't call it hidious. And Boris, yes I do appreciate it's historical and art historical value. But I still find it a tricky tiara to wear nowadays, the proportions are strange and it looks too busy imo. So I just hope for the Connaught tiara.

OMFG...what 1970's bridesmaid rental shop did she find to get that butt-ugly dress. If she took off the tiara, she would look like one of the backup singers on the Lawrence Welk show (google it).

Alright, now that it's out of my system, it seems that Victoria has found the both the correct placement on her head and the correct hairstyle to wear with the 6-button tiara. True, it has always looked best on Lilian (and probably always will) but this style seems to make it not look as awful. Some people have talked about her possibly wearing this tiara for the wedding. I initially thought it would look awful, but with this picture and the right veil (tulle I think it is called, like aunts Birgitta and Desiree) it might actually look alright.

The great thing about this new portrait is that I believe it is the first time Victoria has worn the diamond cuff bracelet, a substantial piece and I believe it must be in the Bernadotte Foundation as many royal ladies have worn it, at least as far back as Queen Louise.

Again, I believe the cameo tiara will take its place on Victoria's head in June, but the bracelet makes me hope that Silvia is opening the door of the jewel vault a little wider and will continue to do so after Victoria is married. Maybe next year's Nobel will provide another surprise with Vic wearing the Leuchtenberg Sapphires or the Nine-prong.

Everyone enjoy the show tomorrow!

Rascal

I must disagree, I adore that dress. She looks just like a Queen in that whole get up. Im glad a lot of Silvia has rubbed off on Victoria. The only thing missing is the Braganca Tiara, that would make it complete.

I don't mind the button tiaras so much. Though they could work with a veil a la Maxima and the star tiara. But personally, I would love the Connaught, realisticly, I expect the Cameo. Which I am ok with because I just love the Cameo tiara. Its one of a kind.

I dont know if this has been posted but here is a smalll photo of the Connaught worn with a veil. I think its worn by Princess Christina.

I know many of you dont like the cameo tiara very much, and some of you said you didnt like it the way Queen Silvia wore it as a bride (circled)… http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_WhgZDl8aasY/SBgDlOj0fYI/AAAAAAAAAF8/H2K86pvLPfI/s320/sylviasweden.jpg

Ive been thinking of that... my theory is about tradition :) and this is what I came up to:

In every church in Sweden (Church of Sweden) there is one or many bridal crowns, and you can borrow one for your wedding for free… The oldest of these bridal crowns are huge, for example the Kings sister princess Margaretha wore the bridal crown of Gärdslösa kyrka when she got married:
http://mobil.hd.se/multimedia/dynamic/00352/Margaretha_352599d.jpg

and as you can see, its quite big. A real crown! No tiara!

In Sweden there is also an old tradition of crown-brides dressed in native costume (or black dress) wearing a huge crown made of flowers or pieses of paper in many colors… common I Norway and Finland too… for example this: http://www.nba.fi/kuvat_iso/91f4104b.jpg but not many brides goes for that look in these days :D
The younger (church) bridal crowns are smaller, just like the “princess crowns” you can see on fairytale pictures…

So, I guess Queen Silvia and her sisters in law (Birgitta and Desiree) never wore the cameo tiara for their weddings.

They wore the cameo CROWN…

…as royal Swedish modern crown brides J

In the 60 and 70-t it was also quite popular with crochet crowns, some small and some big. Like this:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_V4Wm-id4eOY/R_TqbaHnQwI/AAAAAAAAA0I/bBrZb8X411A/brudkrona,-annas-hus-och-ju.jpg
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_V4Wm-id4eOY/R_TqrKHnQ6I/AAAAAAAAA1c/uqmkQZUStCs/brudkronor-045a.jpg
My mother wore a crochet crown in 1970 (and I used the same crown in 2001- my grandmother made it) and for me, when I saw pictures of my mother as a bride when I was a child, I thought she was looking like Silvia, with her beautiful white crown and dark hair…

I don’t know if there is a connection between the kings sisters and the queen wearing the cameo crown, and the crochet crown trend in the 60, 70-t, but why not? (Stranger things happend :))

So my point is: dont look at the cameo crown as a tiara for a ballroom. Look at it as a bridal crown for a cathedral .... and you will find it (even more) beautiful :)

In every church in Sweden (Church of Sweden) there is one or many bridal crowns, and you can borrow one for your wedding for free… The oldest of these bridal crowns are huge, for example the Kings sister princess Margaretha wore the bridal crown of Gärdslösa kyrka when she got married:
http://mobil.hd.se/multimedia/dynamic/00352/Margaretha_352599d.jpg

That is one hell of a crown. Uglier than the Cameo.

I dont know if this has been posted but here is a smalll photo of the Connaught worn with a veil. I think its worn by Princess Christina.

Thats a beautiful picture. I hope she wears the Connaught. :flowers:

I know many of you dont like the cameo tiara very much...
What a wonderful account of this significance of crowns in Swedish marriage ceremonies! Thank you so much for sharing!

Wow, thank you so much for the Swedish Wedding Crown account (i love the crochet circlets), for I had no prior knowledge of this. That is why I love TRF, so many good resources and poster with knowledge of their royals, and countries traditions. You have my appreciation......

I love how the Church of Sweden continues this tradition and heritage. I imagine many daughters have been able to wear the same crowns as their mother.

This account of traditional Swedish wedding crowns might really explain why the cameo tiara has so often been chosen as a wedding tiara. I still think that the Connaught tiara would look better on a bride, but think that Victoria will choose the cameo tiara. After all, monarchy is all about tradition, the cameo is the oldest tiara of the collection and her mother has worn it for her wedding. I just hope that she will find the right dress and hairstyle to go with it.
Still, both the cameo and the Connaught tiara's did not appear at the noble festivities. These two are the hottest contenders and I wonder if they will both stay in the vault till the big day comes, in order to keep us in the dark.

Just want to make this clear: Not many brides today are using the old bridal crown from the churches. They are of course still avilable for use, but they are big and heavy and not popular at all. Some of the yonger, small ones are used, but most of the brides today goes for flowers, a small tiara och noting but really nice hair...:)

But I was really tempted to borrow one of the old ones, but I used my mothers crochet crown instead to honor my grandmother who made it and who died shortly before I got married.... and I was a winter bride so it was v beautiful with a white crown...looked like a snowqueen :D

That is Queen Sophia's diamond tiara, also called nine prongs tiara. It is definitely a nice tiara, but the Queen has worn it so often lately, that it not very likely that it would be used for the wedding.

What is the name of this tiara?
http://myroyal.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/yeni-klasor-416.jpg

I think it will suit very well CP Victoria.

I have to say, even though it would suit her well, I have never liked this tiara. It looks octopus-like to me. Call me crazy, maybe I am.
I would still love to see a button tiara for her wedding, but I guess it's going to be the Cameo. Although I do remember hearing somewhere that PRrncess Lilian had promised Victoria her tiara, so maybe that one? The double tier one?

Back
Top Bottom