The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-01-2009, 08:59 PM
Royal Highness

While I think that the Baden fringe tiara is really the most beautiful fringe tiara around, I would prefer to see her in something else. I think that we will see her in something lightweight, afterall, she does want to enjoy her wedding! I will go out on a limb and admit that while they're not my favorite tiaras, the button ones could look nice with a veil

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 03-03-2009, 05:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

I actually understand your ideas about the 'buttons' - (again, they're rosettes..), because against the backdrop of a veil, their unfortunate shape would not be as outlined, and especially the six 'button' tiara is constructed in a way that would be ideal to attach a veil.
In the back of my head I have the faint hope that these rosettes, probably the oldest pieces in the whole Bernadotte collection, might be re-assembled for the wedding to form a new tiara for CP Victoria.
Their current setting is only from the late 1950s, and nothing much would get lost -not in terms of historic value, and certainly not in terms of beauty.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Courtier

I think she will wear the Cameo tiara. Perhaps with her mother's veil which, IMO, was quite beautiful. My nightmare: either one of those button tiaras.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:32 AM
Royal Highness

I think the Button tiara would require a substantial veil, such as her mother wore, to make it look romantic? for a wedding. I agree that a lighter weight tiara would be most likely and most enjoyable , but wouldn't a lightweight veil be as well?
Old 03-05-2009, 01:56 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
I think she will wear the Cameo tiara. Perhaps with her mother's veil which, IMO, was quite beautiful. My nightmare: either one of those button tiaras.
But why would she want to wear the same tiara and veil as her mother. I son't see why she would want to look like her mother on HER wedding day.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:34 AM
Royal Highness

I think the cameo tiara is a very complicated design and being a coronet rather than a semi-circle, it restricts the style of veil that can be worn with it and that in turn will have a factor in the design of the gown. If the cameo tiara is teamed up with the lace veil again, it would either have to be held in place like Silvia had it on her wedding day or attached without the "fold-back" Silvia had. The gown itself would have to be quite plain. Either way, look quite austere and (excuse the pun) Victorian. I don't think the cameo tiara would work too well with a tuille veil unless the veil was held in place right at the back (like Mette-Marit or Martha-Louise) which again would be quite austere looking. However, if she chose a diamond tiara which would be simpler in design - Victoria could easily wear it with the lace veil or a tuille one in less restricted ways.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:19 AM
Heir Apparent

All I really want to see is Victoria the original "Princess Bride". She is the "Crown Princess" and her Wedding gown, veil and Tiara should be spectacularly Victoria at her very best and most romantic.

Any old traditions for Princesses getting married are redundant as Victoria is not marrying into the SRF . . . . she is the SRF's future Queen Regnant and, as such, the vaults should be hers to choose from. Not for her some new little "Wedding Tiara" gift from her parents.

Victoria's wedding is second in importance only to her Coronation as Queen of Sweden, and just like Queen Elizabeth's, it should reflect it.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Nobility

I would like to see a new tiara created for her wedding since she will be the Queen in her own right!
Old 03-05-2009, 09:41 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
I actually understand your ideas about the 'buttons' - (again, they're rosettes..)...
Thank you, Boris! I think that the rosettes are simply lovely, and they have such a rich history associated with them--it is is a shame they are on such an unfortunate frame. A new tiara, assembled from all the rosettes would be a welcome addition to the Swedish tiara collection. At the very, very least they could at least be a series of brooches to be worn by royal ladies to keep their order sashes in place. However, I still think that the six button (on a new frame) would be ideal for a wedding gown and long, romantic veil.
As Victoria will be the next Queen, I should like to see something truly regal on her head that reflects her future status.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 03-06-2009, 02:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I think the cameo tiara is a very complicated design and being a coronet rather than a semi-circle, it restricts the style of veil that can be worn with it...
The same veil was also worn by the King's sisters Margaretha, Christina and Désirèe. But only Désirèe also used the Cameo tiara. But she had also addes some tull to the lace veil.
And it was not folded as on Silvia. I read somewhere that the reason that the veil had to be folded for Silvia was the reason that when the gown was made Dior made the train to short so the veil had to be folded to have the same length then the train.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 03-06-2009, 08:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

I totally agree with the Jacknch summary – great ‘style analysis’.

I’ve never heard the story about the train of Queen Silvia being too short before, and I have a hard time believing it.
According to reports back then, Silvia intended her wedding dress to be simple and strict precisely because she wanted the veil and the cameo tiara to stand out. The whole ensemble was planned accordingly, and I can’t imagine Marc Bohan / Dior making such a mistake. The way the veil was folded was most likely tried out in advance – and turned out very beautiful too, IMO.
A heavy lace veil like this can have a dreaded ‘curtain’ effect (as it did on Princess Christina), and the ‘shorter veil on top’ effect on Silvia took care of that.

And in answer to jbccode99: I’m still clinging to the faint hope that someone at the Royal Court is listening and might use the occasion to reset the ‘buttons’ = rosettes.
They could form the new CP Victoria tiara, at a wedding there won’t be any undesirable ‘extravagance’ discussion about resetting them, and their flower shape would go beautifully with Queen Josefina’s veil.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

I have to say I have also heared the story about the train beeing to short for the veil and that was why the veil was folded and they put som myrth from and old plant (from Queen Ingrid I belive) between her hair and veil. I seem to remeber it was Silvia who told it in an TV interview many years ago.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

Hmm... it that's true after all, it might explain why Marc Bohan and Silvia had a fall-out: After getting her wedding gown and a whole 'trousseau' of evening dresses from him before the wedding, she never wore a Dior design again.
To wear the myrtle (that's what you mean by myrth, right?) in her hair had to be planned from the start though, since it's a tradition for Swedish brides.
And if the folded veil was an emergency solution, I have to say it's the one of the best 'style emergency' solutions I've seen.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Heir Apparent

No for any Button tiara

I've hope to see Cameo tiara (some kind of family wedding tradition?) but not opened too much
or Connaught Diamond Tiara.
If not one of them she can wear even Nine Prong Diamond Tiara.

But I wouldn't be surprise if she would wear Baden Fringe Tiara. Isn't it her favourite tiara?
Old 03-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Courtier

I think the most likely tiara for the wedding is the Cameo tiara. But i would love for Victoria to wear the ruby tiara (prob wont happen since the dispute between the king and prince sigvard would be all over the press again...) or the Cameo tiara. To reset the buttons in a new tiara also sounds fantastic + we never get to see them again... (in their current setting that is..)
Old 03-19-2009, 02:39 PM
Courtier

I like the Jeep look.

The wedding tiara is almost certainly going to be the cameos. I would personally be really disappointed if it weren't.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:14 PM
Royal Highness

I would like to see a diamond tiara with the wedding dress and veil. Like the beautiful connaught tiara.
But somehow I feel like she will wear the cameo. It would need a rather simple, elegant gown to go with it (no frills and stuff). And this would be exactly Victoria's style.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I hope the gown is less plain than her mother's. It's not my favorite, but I'm guessing on the cameo tiara too.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:13 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by rop81 View Post
I think the most likely tiara for the wedding is the Cameo tiara. But i would love for Victoria to wear the ruby tiara (prob wont happen since the dispute between the king and prince sigvard would be all over the press again...) or the Cameo tiara. To reset the buttons in a new tiara also sounds fantastic + we never get to see them again... (in their current setting that is..)
What ruby tiara? Does anyone have a picture of this tiara?
Old 03-20-2009, 06:32 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Claire View Post
What ruby tiara? Does anyone have a picture of this tiara?
This is the first time I'm trying to post a link. Hope it works!
This is a Dutch blog which has nice pictures of all the Swedish tiaras.
ZweedseJuweeltjes: Koning Edward VII tiara
Queen Silvia wore this tiara only once or twice. It is murmured that the ownership is not quite clear and the tiara is not worn in order to keep peace in the family. Sorry, I don't remember which relative also claims the tiara.
The text says that it was a gift from King Edward VII and Alexandra to Margareta van Connaught when she married the later King Gustaf VI Adold of Sweden on Juin 15th 1905.
It is such a pity we don't see it anymore and I would love to see Victoria wearing it. But for the wedding I would still prefer a diamond tiara.