Catherine Middleton's Wedding Tiara: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?

• The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara

Votes: 19 11.5%
  • The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • The Strathmore Rose Tiara

Votes: 51 30.9%
  • The Spencer Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara)

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • The Rundell Diamond Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Something that has been hidden in the Vaults!

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • The Middletons will buy her a new one

• Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair.

• None of the Above

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
texankitcat said:
I agree. Which is the reason why american networks continually interview her. She is making a fortune based on speculation, rumors and conjecture and laughing at everyone's ignorance all the way to the bank.

My most accurate information comes from all my friends here at the Royal Forum. Who needs the networks???? LOL

My most accurate information comes from all my friends here at the Royal Forum. Who needs the networks???? LOL

We're also interested in royalty and take the time to research things or at least look them up before speaking. So if someone were to ask you why the heir to the throne is the Duke of Cornwall, you can answer them. Or if someone asks you why great-grandchildren of the monarch in the male line aren't given princely status, you can refer them to the 1917 Letters Patent issued by George V. That kind of stuff.

I wouldn't expect some talking head on the TV to know what a Letters Patent is anyway. :lol:

Since most of us are interested, we know a lot of the history of these royal traditions and while William and Catherine want to be modern royals, traditions is still the driving force that gets us interested in royals. None of us (that I know of) have any insider information, but we know from past practices what's likely to happen. How do we know that the Queen will give/lend a tiara to Catherine for the wedding? Because she's done that with all her daughters-in-law (Camilla's was a second wedding, so no need for a tiara for THAT day but she did get one to wear later) and it happens with most European royals. How do we know the Queen is going to bypass Charles and make William the next king? Because it's illegal; she just cannot change the line of succession (without some big act from Parliament). I think some (mainly my fellow Americans) think that the Queen can just do whatever she wants when it comes to the royal family. There are things she usually does, things she can do but probably won't, and some things she does not have the Constitutional capacity to do.

Last edited:
Don't you all think that with the rumour from Ladbroke's that Kate would wear the Fringe Tiara, she will now most certainly wear something else (if indeed she was planning to wear the Fringe.... which I actually don't think she was planning to!)??

Yes Shelo, I do agree with that. I heard something else which makes sense to me. That Fringe tiara has always been loaned to the daughters of the sovereign.....that leaves Kate out.
I hope to see the Strathmore or something I have never seen before that is particularly suited to Catherine!

Don't know if this is true, but heard speculation about the tiara being sent out for fitting for the Queen's granddaughter....so what I meant to say was that the Fringe is passed to the women in the queen's family, of which Kate is not a part.

Yes Shelo, I do agree with that. I heard something else which makes sense to me. That Fringe tiara has always been loaned to the daughters of the sovereign.....that leaves Kate out.
I hope to see the Strathmore or something I have never seen before that is particularly suited to Catherine!

If the reported wedding "theme" is "Language of Flowers", maybe Kate will wear the Strathmore Rose tiara!
:princess2:

Watching BBC America and the show is Diana's jewels and according the them in 1993 Charles Spencer demanded Diana return the Spencer tiara saying it had only been on loan......just a random fact.....

It's a bit rude doncha think? I mean, if he demanded it....my point I guess is if he can't lend it to his sister I doubt he'll lend it to Kate....(pls no posts about how she's not allowed to wear it, I get that, was just sharing a thought)

Last edited:
Well, we know (or think we know) his personality. It hasn't changed so we kind of know what to expect and should not be surprised by anything we learn that has a "brusk" touch to it. If he were my neighbor, I'd steer clear.

Well, we know (or think we know) his personality. It hasn't changed so we kind of know what to expect and should not be surprised by anything we learn that has a "brusk" touch to it. If he were my neighbor, I'd steer clear.

Boy isn,t that the truth.

I don't know what you mean by the head of a hollywood star. In what way are heads of hollywood stars different from the heads of everyone else in the world including Royalty?

I think the fringe would look wonderful on Kate, although I would think having her hair up would look better with that tiara. Preferably not in the way Princess Ann wore it.
The heads and criteria to be a Hollywood star were that you had to have a larger head than usual plenteous hair chiselled and beautiful symmetrical features,.with great teeth and wonderful smile and have these naturally. Kate is blessed with these.You like the tiara and I don't. agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Watching BBC America and the show is Diana's jewels and according the them in 1993 Charles Spencer demanded Diana return the Spencer tiara saying it had only been on loan......just a random fact.....

It's a bit rude doncha think? I mean, if he demanded it....my point I guess is if he can't lend it to his sister I doubt he'll lend it to Kate....(pls no posts about how she's not allowed to wear it, I get that, was just sharing a thought)

I would have thought it rude of Diana to keep something which belonged to the Spencer family and thus to her brother as the Earl.

She was born a Spencer sure but the Spencer family jewels belong to the Earl not to her or her sisters.

If she still had it then she was in the wrong as it wasn't hers to keep.

By 1993 the primary person who should have been wearing it was Countess Spencer and not Diana.

What is the source for Diana not giving back the Spencer Tiara and Charles demanding it.

From what I understand use of the tiara was always understood to be a loan?

Iluvbertie said:
She was born a Spencer sure but the Spencer family jewels belong to the Earl not to her or her sisters..

But was her father still alive until 1993? Because before he died it was his to lend....

Zonk said:
What is the source for Diana not giving back the Spencer Tiara and Charles demanding it.

From what I understand use of the tiara was always understood to be a loan?

I just heard it on this show....'demanded' was their word, who knows how true it is or is not. They never said she wouldn't give it back, just that he demanded it back

Sister Morphine said:
Diana's father died in March of 1992.

So maybe he had lent it to his daughter and the new Earl 'demanded' it back sometime later-? who knows....

But was her father still alive until 1993? Because before he died it was his to lend....

I just heard it on this show....'demanded' was their word, who knows how true it is or is not. They never said she wouldn't give it back, just that he demanded it back

I have seen this before too, and I am pretty certain it was in Paul Burrell's book. Diana and her brother were on the outs for quite a while before her death due to his at first agreeing to allow her to have a cottage at Althorp as a out of a weekend getaway, which she went forward with interior decorating plans and then he changed his mind citing security issues. The tiara was also an issue that they argued over. I can't say I blame him in regards to the tiara. She had it for quite a few years.

So maybe he had lent it to his daughter and the new Earl 'demanded' it back sometime later-? who knows....

Didn't Charles Spencer want his own wife to wear it?
I know Victoria Lockwood (his first wife) was photographed in it.

Didn't Charles Spencer want his own wife to wear it?
I know Victoria Lockwood (his first wife) was photographed in it.

I thought he was still married to Victoria at the time of Diana's death.

The Spencer Tiara belonged to Charles as it was left to him as a bequest upon his grandfather's death in 1975. Since he was still a child and unmarried, it was borrowed by Diana after her marriage in 1981.

Victoria wore the tiara on her wedding day, but Diana continued to wear it. After the official separation of the Wales, Charles felt it should be returned to him.

Diana retained the Lover's Knot Tiara, so it's not like she didn't have anything for her use. And she didn't need a tiara after her separation anyway as she was not expected to attend state dinners after that.

branchg said:
The Spencer Tiara belonged to Charles as it was left to him as a bequest upon his grandfather's death in 1975. Since he was still a child and unmarried, it was borrowed by Diana after her marriage in 1981.

Oh- good to know, I assumed as Spencer tiara was owned by the Earl Spencer whomever that is

Good talk- now we better get back on topic, Kates wedding tiara...

I had this idea that Kate could wear diamond brooches in her hair and then while they're signing the register, the brooches could be put into a tiara frame and she would wear the tiara back down the aisle as the new princess.

I don't think that would be possible with any of the current tiaras in the Queen's collection though.

Boy isn,t that the truth.

He does seem to be a somewhat prickly pear, doesn't he? But I've heard him cracking jokes and at times I think he can be personable. We all have our good days and bad ones...OK back to the tiara!!!:lol:

Last edited:
Something that would be interesting to see but unlikely to happen: Catherine wears one tiara for the ceremony and then another for pictures. Princess Josephine-Charlotte of Belgium (Grand Duchess of Luxembourg) did that. Okay, I know that was the royal exception and definitely not the rule in the British royal family, but this girl would love to see a few more tiaras come out of the vaults. :p

I had this idea that Kate could wear diamond brooches in her hair and then while they're signing the register, the brooches could be put into a tiara frame and she would wear the tiara back down the aisle as the new princess.

I don't think that would be possible with any of the current tiaras in the Queen's collection though.

I quite like this idea, I think it is possible but without walking in with brooches in her hair as it would be a hassle to take them out without pulling some strands out of place. I think walking in with just her veil and then a tiara going out.

:previous: I think adding anything would be a problem and let's face it, we wouldn't want them hanging about in the chapel too long after signing the Register. The crowds from outside would be howling with anticipation. :ohmy:

Those inside would be grinding their teeth as they smiled for the camera's that will have nothing else to do but pan the guests to see who has the most outrageously ugly hat! :lol: :ROFLMAO:

Do you think of something like the diamond stars what Empress Elisabeth (of Wittelsbach, common known as Sisi) wore in her hair?

Mind Change!

I've decided that maybe The Portland is too heavy for a Woman who doesn't have a nineteenth century beehive. My new choice for the second tiara Kate gets is the Londonderry. The Teck Crescent remains my choice for the wedding, though :wub:

Something that would be interesting to see but unlikely to happen: Catherine wears one tiara for the ceremony and then another for pictures. Princess Josephine-Charlotte of Belgium (Grand Duchess of Luxembourg) did that. Okay, I know that was the royal exception and definitely not the rule in the British royal family, but this girl would love to see a few more tiaras come out of the vaults. :p

There's been reference to the many tiaras owned by the Queen, but when there's speculation about which Kate will wear, it seems there's only mention of five or six!

How many does she actually have to choose from, that are currently wearable?
If we rule out the Queen's favorites, doesn't it come down to two or perhaps three?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom