Catherine Middleton's Wedding Tiara: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?

• The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara

Votes: 19 11.5%
  • The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • The Strathmore Rose Tiara

Votes: 51 30.9%
  • The Spencer Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara)

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • The Rundell Diamond Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Something that has been hidden in the Vaults!

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • The Middletons will buy her a new one

• Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair.

• None of the Above

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also wondering like KristineML if she might go the Sarah route and go in as a commoner (flowers) and out like a royal (tiara)?

If she does go this route, it she won't wear the wreath like Sarah did. She might actually wear no sort of headpiece at all other than her veil. I don't think she would want to do exactly what Sarah did. Don't think that would be popular with the royal family.

I do think it's possible she'll wear no tiara, but I really hope she does :) oh exciting, 4 days!

I'm with you--I've been looking at that specific tiara for weeks. I would be lovely!

With only 15 carats of diamonds, this is a teeny-tiny tiara. And, it is not good value at BPS36,000.

Thanks for posting those pictures. I had not seen them before. Still I think it looks like the tiara is wearing the Queen and not the other way round! LOL

i would like to see the strathmore rose but if flowers are cathrines headress how fab would queen alexandras diamond stars look inbetween the flowers . the stars are in suzy menkes bookhttp://www.royal-magazin.de/england/queen-alexandra/stars-diamond.htm

Well.. she could always opt out for one of our own TRFs expert advisors and wear a bucket of chicken! ;)
I can just hear the BBC presenter "Catharine Middleton wearing the Colonel Sanders Tiara"

Too bad the magnificent Poltimore tiara was sold... It would've been grand enough although not sure Catherine would've wanted to wear it or if it would have been suitable since it used to belong to Princess Margaret.

The Portland Sapphire tiara
THE PORTLAND ANTIQUE SAPPHIRE, DIAMOND AND NATURAL PEARL TIARA | Jewelry Auction</li> | Jewelry, tiara | Christie's
would be great especially if they removed a couple of those connecting diamond chains. It would go so nicely with the engagement ring and add that 'something blue' to the outfit.

I think these tiaras would look beautiful on Catherine too but apparently they have been sold already... Imagine them slightly modified.

Edwardian Tiara/Necklace Combination - James Martin

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?from=searchresults&intObjectID=4294965&sid=20aa2118-d0ee-40f2-897a-7c2ff0958

AN ANTIQUE DIAMOND NECKLACE/TIARA | Jewelry Auction</li> | geometric, Jewelry | Christie's

I think that pearl/sapphire tiara is absolutely gorgeous but I doubt if we'll see something like that the day of the wedding.
I find myself up in the air now about what jewels and tiara we'll see. I'm breathless with anticipation! ;)

Too bad the magnificent Poltimore tiara was sold... It would've been grand enough although not sure Catherine would've wanted to wear it or if it would have been suitable since it used to belong to Princess Margaret.http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/...8249&sid=20aa2118-d0ee-40f2-897a-7c2ff0958a0a

If Margaret's kids hadn't sold off most of her jewelry to pay the estate tax, the tiara would have been in her family and and not available for Catherine to wear to begin with. Queen Mary had given her daughter some beautiful tiaras that would have been gorgeous on Catherine, but they're the property of the Harewoods.

Too bad the magnificent Poltimore tiara was sold... It would've been grand enough although not sure Catherine would've wanted to wear it or if it would have been suitable since it used to belong to Princess Margaret.

The Portland Sapphire tiara
THE PORTLAND ANTIQUE SAPPHIRE, DIAMOND AND NATURAL PEARL TIARA | Jewelry Auction</li> | Jewelry, tiara | Christie's
would be great especially if they removed a couple of those connecting diamond chains. It would go so nicely with the engagement ring and add that 'something blue' to the outfit.

I think these tiaras would look beautiful on Catherine too but apparently they have been sold already... Imagine them slightly modified.

Edwardian Tiara/Necklace Combination - James Martin

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?from=searchresults&intObjectID=4294965&sid=20aa2118-d0ee-40f2-897a-7c2ff0958

AN ANTIQUE DIAMOND NECKLACE/TIARA | Jewelry Auction</li> | geometric, Jewelry | Christie's

Ah, but we don't know who bought them!
Prince Charles is known to have a representative at major auctions.

(Although the Portland Tiara sold for over a million dollars; maybe he wouldn't want to make a purchase like that in the current economy?)

As long as he's spending his own personal money, and not using money from the civil list or taxpayers to do it, I don't see why it would be a problem if he had in fact bought her a million-dollar (or pound) tiara.

Sister Morphine said:
As long as he's spending his own personal money, and not using money from the civil list or taxpayers to do it, I don't see why it would be a problem if he had in fact bought her a million-dollar (or pound) tiara.

I think the previous poster meant it would be a very bad move PR wise in this economy....

Ah, but we don't know who bought them!
Prince Charles is known to have a representative at major auctions.

(Although the Portland Tiara sold for over a million dollars; maybe he wouldn't want to make a purchase like that in the current economy?)

Wow! I have seen a picture of the Portland tiara before and thought then how perfectly it matches Diana's ring. Seeing it again, I am convinced it would make the perfect tiara for Kate.

The Portland Tiara is huge and far too big for Catherine's very small head. It would look overwhelming on her.

I think the previous poster meant it would be a very bad move PR wise in this economy....

I know, that's why I answered the way I did. If Charles would use taxpayer money in this economy to buy a tiara of that magnitude, I could understand people being bothered by that. However if he used his own personal money, totally independent of anything the taxpayers pay into, I don't see what the problem would be with that.

Sister Morphine said:
I know, that's why I answered the way I did. If Charles would use taxpayer money in this economy to buy a tiara of that magnitude, I could understand people being bothered by that. However if he used his own personal money, totally independent of anything the taxpayers pay into, I don't see what the problem would be with that.

And my response was meant to be saying, even using his own money it sends off a bad message and unfortunatly sometimes PR/perception matter regardless of whether plp/media should feel that way or not....sorry if my post wasn't clear

The Portland Tiara is huge and far too big for Catherine's very small head. It would look overwhelming on her.

Have I missed something? How is that you know the size of her head? Did CH release the size of her head as an official announcement? Rather scary thought actually. :lol:

I think Miss Middleton's head looks to be of a rather average size. :lol: But maybe she should start with a slightly smaller tiara first before she moves on to more heftier pieces. Wouldn't want her to suffer from a dreadful headache on her wedding day like poor Diana did.

I think Miss Middleton's head looks to be of a rather average size. :lol: But maybe she should start with a slightly smaller tiara first before she moves on to more heftier pieces. Wouldn't want her to suffer from a dreadful headache on her wedding day like poor Diana did.

Diana complained about headaches from the Lover's Knot Tiara, not the Spencer Tiara. The Cambridge tiara is much larger and heavier than her family tiara, which is why she wore it less than the other one.

If Catherine does wear a tiara (which I hope she does) I hope she will wear it in a fashion where it can be seen. It will have to be fairly large. If it's a small one than her veil should fall flat behind it. It was so difficult to see the tiaras of Princess Mary of Denmark, Princess Alexandra of Denmark, Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece, Princess Tessy of Luxembourg and all of Princess Margriet of the Netherlands' daughters-in-law's.

I would hope Catherine would have the good taste to decline wearing it. Why don't we just cut her hair short, dye it blonde and change her name to Diana while we're at it? Do some of you want him to marry his mother? This is William and Catherine's wedding day, not the "Let's dress her up like his late mother and parade her down the aisle" day.
It would be in extremely bad taste for a young lady marrying into any royal house to decline the tiara offered to her, especialy one with the provenance of the BRF and to the late Mother of the Groom.

It would be in extremely bad taste for a young lady marrying into any royal house to decline the tiara offered to her, especialy one with the provenance of the BRF and to the late Mother of the Groom.

The Spencer tiara doesn't belong to the BRF, it belongs to the Spencer family. So if she declined to wear it by saying that would not feel comfortable wearing it for obvious reasons, it would have diddly-squat to do with the BRF.

Catherine is not Diana. She is not a Barbie doll to be dressed up like Diana.

Question...Didn't Charles inherit several jewels & tiaras from his grandmother?

IMO the Strathmore Rose tiara would be perfect for Catherine.

Diana complained about headaches from the Lover's Knot Tiara, not the Spencer Tiara. The Cambridge tiara is much larger and heavier than her family tiara, which is why she wore it less than the other one.
I think that might the main, practical reason why I don't think the Cambridge will be used as a wedding tiara. I don't know if it's the best idea to have her wearing that heavy tiara AND a long, possibly multi-layered veil, especially if that hairdresser is right about her wearing her hair down for the long ceremony. Second, the dangling pearls might be distracting/noisy during the ceremony and the pearls probably will be lost worn again the veil. I don't think I've ever seen royal brides wear tiaras with hanging gems for their weddings (Letizia's Prussian fringe had a small hanging center piece but that's it) although the only tiaras I know of in that style are the Cambridge, Grand Duchess Vladimir, the Russian Kokoshnik pearl (formally owned by Gladys, Duchess of Marlbough and now by Imelda Marcos) and the Savoy Faberge tiara. I believe Catherine will one day wear the Cambridge tiara as Princess of Wales or Queen, but just not on her wedding day.

Last edited:
Catherine may not wear a tiara at all. according to Canadian news reports.And I also do not see problem with that if it is the case.

It would be strange if she didn't. If Autumn Phillips wore one, why wouldn't Catherine? She's marrying a future King.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom