Catherine Middleton's Wedding Tiara: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?

• The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara

Votes: 19 11.5%
  • The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • The Strathmore Rose Tiara

Votes: 51 30.9%
  • The Spencer Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara)

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • The Rundell Diamond Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Something that has been hidden in the Vaults!

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • The Middletons will buy her a new one

• Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair.

• None of the Above

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that Queen Mary is perceived as "statuesque" when she was only 5 foot 6. But she certainly does "read" as tall and commanding!

Great taste in jewels, especially tiaras. But I don't much care for her spoiled attitude that seemed to think it was okay for her to "persuade" her hosts into handing over their treasures just because Little Poor-Girl Princess had childhood entitlement issues and thought she "deserved" stuff.

As for tiaras, I've always loved that spiky diamond and pearl one that Princess Michael wears, the one that greatly resembles the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland one HM favours. It would look delicious on Catherine...but never to happen.

Did Wallis ever wear tiaras after her marriage? I know she was deprived of being HRH, but she was still a duchess married to a royal duke...I don't recall ever seeing pictures of her in a tiara.

Interesting that Queen Mary is perceived as "statuesque" when she was only 5 foot 6. But she certainly does "read" as tall and commanding!

Great taste in jewels, especially tiaras. But I don't much care for her spoiled attitude that seemed to think it was okay for her to "persuade" her hosts into handing over their treasures just because Little Poor-Girl Princess had childhood entitlement issues and thought she "deserved" stuff.

As for tiaras, I've always loved that spiky diamond and pearl one that Princess Michael wears, the one that greatly resembles the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland one HM favours. It would look delicious on Catherine...but never to happen.

Did Wallis ever wear tiaras after her marriage? I know she was deprived of being HRH, but she was still a duchess married to a royal duke...I don't recall ever seeing pictures of her in a tiara.

It was bad enough that she was divorced and some of the royals did not have a very high opinion of her. If she showed up wearing a tiara they would have been highly upset, to say the least! If she has a tiara Edward bought it for her. He bought her lots of jewelry. I don't recall ever seeing her in a tiara either, but it doesn't mean she didn't have one....:ermm:

Last edited:
No, but I'm fairly confident that if William were to call up Uncle Spencer and ask to borrow it that he would not be denied, for a number of reasons.

William just wouldn't do it from a protocol point of view.

It would really be drawing a line from Diana to Catherine and if Catherine has any sense of creating her own image/style/presence then she shouldn't do it.

It would be lovely for her family to purchase one especially for her but failing that, this forum has established that there are plenty of gorgeous tiaras in the BRF collection she can choose from.

She'll look lovely in anything - anyone is enhanced by diamonds in their hair - and she's so photogenic. I'm so excited to see what she'll wear and how...less than a week to go!!!

No, but I'm fairly confident that if William were to call up Uncle Spencer and ask to borrow it that he would not be denied, for a number of reasons.

HM would never countenance that course of action. Earl Spencer may be HM,s godson but I'm certain she keeps him at more than arms length given his disgusting display of bad manners at his sisters funeral, too say nothing of his deplorable "not so" private life.:ohmy:

There's been mention of the Portland sapphire tiara, recently sold at auction for over one million dollars.
There's no saying who purchased it, but the buyer could possibly be Charles or the Middletons. That would be perfect for Kate, imo- not too overwhelming, not too insignificant.

There's been mention of the Portland sapphire tiara, recently sold at auction for over one million dollars.
There's no saying who purchased it, but the buyer could possibly be Charles or the Middletons. That would be perfect for Kate, imo- not too overwhelming, not too insignificant.
Wouldn't that be fabulous? However unlikely it is..... *sigh* more like wishful thinking on our part :lol:

Aaaand could count as the "something old" or "something blue" ......

Wallis did have a tiara. I've seen a picture of her wearing it- it was kinda "dinky" in size, not very pretty, either. She was said not to like wearing a tiara. Oh, here's the picture of her wearing it. This also has a close-up of it off her head (so to speak).

A NYer in PDX: Tiara Obsessed

If this link doesn't go to the Wallis picture, it was on the December 6 2010 page of the blog. Also google Images wallis tiara works.

Last edited:
I agree Dazz! I couldn't click on the link for the 25 Tiaras that the article mentions. Was anyone else successful?

Honestly, with all the "royal experts" that have commented on this wedding, I wish some of us at TRF had done the deed. Some of the information that is being provided is simply awful.

This was my attempt to provide actual research. And while I know that the tiara's most associated with QEII will likely not be seen on the wedding day I still listed them because they are great (GGB&I, Valdimir, Kokoshnik). Anymore, I am leaning toward the Scroll and the Strathmore Rose as contenders. Both are youthful and great "starter" tiaras.

Aestheticus Rex: A Tale of Tiara's: What will the Queen bestow upon Kate Middleton?

-AR

The Scroll tiara was given to Princess Anne, wasn't it? I would imagine that Zara will wear that for her wedding, so it would be odd if it was given to Catherine.

The Scroll tiara was given to Princess Anne, wasn't it? I would imagine that Zara will wear that for her wedding, so it would be odd if it was given to Catherine.

No one is really certain. It was one of the Queen Mother's "starter" tiaras and was lent to both Margaret and Anne when they were both young princesses. Once Anne married and received the Meander and the Festoon it has been asserted that the Scroll went back to the vaults. But again, who knows for certain.

AR

In reply to Princejohnny25,
I also have had thoughts of the Middletons buying Kate her own tiara. They certainly can afford it, and it is an ideal oppertunity for them to leave a lasting link of the Middleton name within the Royal Family.

Last edited by a moderator:
If this is off topic, feel free to tell me so! Does anyone have any thoughts about whether she will or not wear a tiara for the wedding? I read a lot of reports that she wanted to wear flowers, which I think would be very unfortunate. I appreciate the wedding being a more "normal" affair with William and Kate, but ditching a tiara seems a bit far. I really hope for something spectacular; there is plenty to be said for tradition and ceremony despite everything, and for beautiful jewelry!

So....if I take ny husbands last name I'm marrying into to his family, is he marrying into mine if he doesn't take my last name? And since I took his last name I'm only marrying into his Dads side of the family, not his mom's? I think we will have to agree to disagree on this-

She's marrying into the BRF insitution, that I agree with- and I get your point in that way

:flowers: I agree with you here. She is marrying into both the Windsor and Spencer families, since Prince William is a member of both families.

By popular demand....a new poll.

Which Tiara will Catherine wear on her wedding day?

The choices are The Girls of Great Britian and Ireland; the Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara, The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara; the Strathmore's Rose Tiara; the Spencer Tiara; The Fringe Tiara or the Rundell Diamond Tiara. Additional choices are Something that has been hidden in the vaults; The Middleton's will buy her a new one; Nothing...she will either jewelry or flowers in her hair or the ever popular None of the Above.

Have fun!

Warren, wbenson & Zonk
British Forums Moderator

I would love for Katherine to recieve the Portland if it still exists. It's so distinctive looking. I know I've claimed to root for a lot of them, but there are so many nice ones!

Last edited:

I think that Zara will follow in the footsteps of her mother and grandmother, and wear the Fringe Tiara.

I choose Something that has been hidden in the Vaults! simply because I think it would be nice for her to have something that has been used a lot or seen a lot in the past years.

The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara, The Rundell Diamond Tiara and The Strathmore Rose Tiara are my other choices.

i will not be surprised if Kate brings with her the Strathmore Tiara in her forehead like late Queen Mother did.
imagine her long curly hair down with that tiara on her forehead.

Oh dear Lord, I hope not. That would look ridiculous.

My vote for Great Britain and Ireland Tiara. But in a second guess
Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara). Spencer certainly is not the crown of the family. I'm sure Kate will do a very good selection of the crown.

My vote for Great Britain and Ireland Tiara. But in a second guess
Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara). Spencer certainly is not the crown of the family. I'm sure Kate will do a very good selection of the crown.

I think it is to big for Kate & personally I think there are much nicer ones that would suite her. Im not fond of it either, its just a boring design. Something flowery would be really nice.

Personally, I think the poll should reflect what the realistic possibilities are. The following should not be included in the list of possibilities for the following reasons:

Girls of Britain and Ireland tiara: There absolutely no way that Kate will be loaned the Queens favorite tiara. She barely knows Kate.

Fringe Tiara: Again, not going to happen. This is the second most worn tiara of the Queen.

Spencer Tiara: This tiara does not belong to the Royal Family. It belongs to the Spencer family, and is reserved for Spencer brides and daughters of the current Earl.

One thing to also consider is that Diana had a fabulous jewel collection which William inherited, and many of the necklaces could be modified into a tiara.

Jewellery of Today's British Royalty - The Tudors Wiki

The poll reflects the comments and suggestions of what tiara people think she would wear. Chances are Catherine will not wear the Spencer Tiara but if Member X thinks there is a slight chance, why should they not vote for it?

Its personal preference and a method of getting everyone excited and engaged in picking out the tiara.

texankitcat, I agree with the exclusion of the three tiaras you've named. The Cambridge Lover's Knot while beautiful, I don't know if I want to see Catherine wear it so soon due to its close affiliation with Diana. My vote is for the Strathmore Rose but not worn down on the forehead.

My vote for the Spencer Tiara. :D
My second guess is nothing but a jewelry clip.
I hope Kate will surprise me and wear something lovely and grand like the Lover's Knot, though! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom