Catherine Middleton's Wedding Tiara: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?

• The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara

Votes: 19 11.5%
  • The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • The Strathmore Rose Tiara

Votes: 51 30.9%
  • The Spencer Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara)

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • The Rundell Diamond Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Something that has been hidden in the Vaults!

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • The Middletons will buy her a new one

• Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair.

• None of the Above

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole "veiled bride/lifting it at the altar" comes from the Bible, specifically the story of Rachel and Leah, but yeah......it's a bit dated nowadays. I can't think of any current (last 15 years or so) royal brides that had their faces covered with a veil.

:previous: Are you sure beause I remember both Sophie and Sarah (definitely past the 15 year time frame you reference) covering their faces. Camilla did not. If you are talking the Continental royals...than I would agree...Maxima, Mary, Victoria et al didn't have a veil covering their faces.

Sarah married Andrew 25 years ago (1986), and I didn't remember Sophie's face being covered. I remember the wind blowing her veil around a lot. I was speaking of the continental brides, though.

Zonk said:
:previous: Are you sure beause I remember both Sophie and Sarah (definitely past the 15 year time frame you reference) covering their faces. Camilla did not. If you are talking the Continental royals...than I would agree...Maxima, Mary, Victoria et al didn't have a veil covering their faces.

I thought Sophie had too but can't remember for sure.....

Yes, that's why I said that Sarah was outside of your time frame.:flowers:

Looking at my books for Edward and Sophie's wedding...she definitely had a veil covering her face as she walked down the aisle.

I think we will both agree that the BRF and everyone else has their own way of doing things. I am thinking that Kate will have a veil covering her face as she walks down the aisle.

Just thought I would throw this out there. What about this tiara?
2662142090056005517xjIlEV_th.jpg

Sorry the pic is kind of small. It's Queen Victoria's emerald and diamond tiara.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's beautiful but would she mix emeralds with the sapphire on her ring?

Also, much has been said about HM giving Catherine a tiara when it seems unlikely she will need one in her early married life...isn't it likely that HM may lend her one to wear on the day? It could be Catherine's "something borrowed"... Is there any precedence for this?

Did Queen Victoria wear a tiara? One reads that she wore orange blossoms in her hair, but were they fresh orange blossoms, or was it a tiara made like orange blossoms? Her wedding pictures are not clear. I would say that, if she wore fresh flowers, then Kate may also wear her fresh flowers in the hair.

Queen Victoria did not wear a tiara, she wore orange blossoms in her hair. However, what Queen Victoria did or did not wear has no real bearing on what Catherine chooses to do.

Maybe Qu. E II won't be too upset then, if she chooses not to wear a tiara. But perhaps she could wear both tiara and flowers, say, in a lock of hair over her shoulder, or would that not be allowed?

Last edited:
I still would prefer if QEII lend Catherine one. The fact is she will be representing the BRF from that day on, so that would be a lovely gesture. Catherine's major in History of Art makes me hopefull that she will use a piece with a sense of history. There are so many tiaras that have not been worn for a long time, that could be use or restyled (if broken) for the event.

But actually, no one here knows how The Queen feels about lending one of her favorite tiaras, so no need to ge agitated with each other.

Ok, so where are we then - the possibilities are:

A) The Queen will LEND one of the tiaras currently available
B) The Queen will GIVE one of the tiaras currently available
C) A new tiara will have been MADE (either brand new or remodelled from and old tiara or stones)
D) Kate will wear flowers.

Given the above (and please do add or amend people!), I personally would plump A) or D) (preferably A))

Eventually Kate will have the use of a number of jewels and may even have her own tiara for use at state banquets etc but I think in the meantime she will simply borrow jewells from the collection as appropriate.

could prince william give her one for a wedding present? or will it have to come from her parents? i guess i dont understand how this is working. my husband gave my diamond earrings for our wedding day and i wore them that day. would it really be that different?
I believe Prince William made plenty of gifts for Kate at this stage. Giving her a tittle and his mother's ring. And besides this, the Middletons have plenty of money to afford buying a tiara.

Just thought I would throw this out there. What about this tiara?
2662142090056005517xjIlEV_th.jpg

Sorry the pic is kind of small. It's Queen Victoria's emerald and diamond tiara.

The emerald and diamond tiara remained with one of Victoria's descendants many years after her death and is now said to have been sold and broken up.

Pearls, Pearls, Pearls, if you please. all this chatter about which tiara is fun but really does not quit tell us anything. Personally I wish somebody in the family or the Middleton family would call up Imelda Marcos, who was still alive last time I heard, and see if the superb diamond and pearl tiara she bought from the Duke of Westminster (?) at auction is still intact and get that from her. Katherine would cause a sensation to end all sensations, one of the bijoux crimes of the ages would be rectified and the good woman would look absolutely splendind, perfect and smashing.
Or if it has really been broken up, maybe somebody can find all the pieces and glue the thing back together in time. Cheers.

Sorry to say, Thomas, that the diademe is scattered. It was usurped by the Philipine government in 1991 and the whole she-bang was sold in, I think, 2005. Imelda tried her very best to stop the auction, but with no success. Imelda is still with us, at 81.

News bulletin: Sam Cam to wear KFC fascinator

She could show up with a bucket of fried chicken on her head -- as long as she shows up, that's the important thing.

Sister M- your random comment may have started a trend!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/royal-wedding/8459438/It-would-be-polite-not-posh-for-Dave-to-break-out-his-tails-again.html

Vogue’s deputy editor Emily Sheffield, has posed the question: “Will anyone – Samantha Cameron? – break with tradition and avoid a hat?” Here’s hoping! Or perhaps she could wear fashionably ironic headgear – an upturned KFC bucket, with a dress made from a bin bag.

I like the way you think Thomas. However Imelda being the greedy that she is ... would never part with it. I am hoping for a new tiara, but am still reeling from the latest press release that Catherine's train is only 10'. Shoot.... My dress had a 7' train and I got married outdoors!

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't know how long the train on her dress is. Unless it's coming from the designer's mouth or is an official memo from the court, consider it a rumor and nothing else.

Jacknch said:
Ok, so where are we then - the possibilities are:

A) The Queen will LEND one of the tiaras currently available
B) The Queen will GIVE one of the tiaras currently available
C) A new tiara will have been MADE (either brand new or remodelled from and old tiara or stones)
D) Kate will wear flowers.

Can we add E) Someone else (like her parents, William or maybe Charles) will buy her a tiara as a wedding gift?

I don't think a tiara will be especially bought for Catherine. In this economic climate, it would be bad publicity to buy her a new one, when The Royal Family has so many antique ones.

As for what tiara I would like to see Kate in, the Teck Crescent would be my pick. The Fife Diamond Tiara would also be a great addition, when William is heir apparent. The one tiara I would not like catheine to get is the Camebridge Lover's Knot :argh: She has to endure enough comparrisons to Diana as it is, and the knot would just be overload :nonono: The ring is quite enough.

On another note, I hope its true that Kate will be wearing her hair down on her wedding day. Updos are pretty, but they get boring after a while, plus a tiara with long loose hair can be very eraethral looking. I just hope that if she has her hair down she goes the whole hog, and doesn't have her fringe smoothed back :yuk: It defeats the purpose of wearing a tiara with loose hair, if the hair is just flattened out of the way. If you have long hair, either an updo should add to the look, or some flowing locks should. Loose curls, with the Teck Crescent, would make Catherine look wonderful :)

Last edited:
The more information we're getting about the wedding and Kate, the more I'm leaning towards the tiara being the Strathmore Rose. The wedding cake covered with flowers of various meanings, suggested by Kate; then the Middleton coat-of-arms with the acorns apparently also suggested by Kate. All of it is leading me towards something like the Strathmore Rose as the sort of tiara she might gravitate towards if given any choice in the matter at all.

Can we add E) Someone else (like her parents, William or maybe Charles) will buy her a tiara as a wedding gift?

Oh sure MRSJ! In fact I think the idea of Charles buying a tiara (and/or other jewells) for Kate is a distinct possibility. All this talk about the Queen giving tiaras away makes us forget that Kate's immediate in-law will of course be the Prince of Wales!

I am hoping Kate doesn't wear a tiara for her wedding, but wears a floral headband arrangement. That's my preference. However, if she does wear a tiara, I hope HM lends her the George III Fringe Tiara.

I like the unfussy style of that tiara, and I think it would suit Kate and I hope to see her in it a lot later on. I would also like to see her in the Kokoshnik. Those two are my favourites.

The Royal jewelboxes are full of baubles and there is no need for anyone to buy Kate a new one of her own. IMO, anyway.

Point de Vue  .:.  En Couverture

This edition of "Point de vue" has the cover with Kate and Prince William- "what dress, what diadem- her choices". In introduction article there' also a info about to what kind of diadems she will have "access".

The whole "veiled bride/lifting it at the altar" comes from the Bible, specifically the story of Rachel and Leah, but yeah......it's a bit dated nowadays. I can't think of any current (last 15 years or so) royal brides that had their faces covered with a veil.

I read a "rule" somewhere (not sure with how much authority though) that brides born princesses don't veil their faces, commoners marrying in do.

Diana, Sarah & Sophie certainly all entered the church with their faces veiled.

The cambridge tiara is beautiful but she should not wear it because,when she moves,the pearls moves,and that would sound annoying on her wedding day.

What I want to see Kate wear on her wedding

1.Russian Kokoshnik

2.Durbar tiara

3.Queen Victoria sapphire tiara

4.Girls of great britain and ireland

I hope she does not wear flowers,I know people will be disapointed if she did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom