Catherine Middleton's Wedding Tiara: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?

• The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara

Votes: 19 11.5%
  • The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • The Strathmore Rose Tiara

Votes: 51 30.9%
  • The Spencer Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara)

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • The Rundell Diamond Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Something that has been hidden in the Vaults!

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • The Middletons will buy her a new one

• Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair.

• None of the Above

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I've already mentioned that I think she may wear the fringe tiara, I am going to guess that she will not wear a necklace, but will wear some lovely diamond earrings. If they dangle, they will be restrained, not too chandelier-y. JMHO.

I would love to see the Kokoshnik Tiara or the Fringe Tiara on Kate.

Catherine is not Diana and I think wearing her mother-in-law's jewels isn't going to be such a big deal. People will expect to see Diana's jewels reappearing and the intent was William would inherit all of her royal jewels for his wife to wear as the future Princess of Wales and Queen Consort.

I just don't see what the hoopla is all about. The Lover's Knot Tiara is lovely, has a very strong association with The Queen and her grandmother, in addition to Diana, and Catherine undoubtedly will wear many of Diana's pieces anyway.
Exactly so, Branch G. Well said. And I would rather see Diana's jewels on her daughter in law Kate, than on Camillia any day of the week.

Last edited:
Exactly so, Branch G. Well said. And I would rather see Diana's jewels on her daughter in law Kate, than on Camillia any day of the week.

Correct me if I am wrong, however my understanding is that any jewels personally owned by Diana went to William and Harry. Any important jewels belonging to the Queen that was gifted or loaned to Diana went back to the Queen after the divorce or upon Diana's death. This Includes the Cambridge Lovers Knot Tiara. Any jewels that were gifted to the Prince of Wales from his Grandmother belong to the Prince of Wales. Camilla doesn't have access to Diana's personal jewel collection since they are property of Princes William and Harry. Not that she would want to wear them. She has plenty of lovely jewels that are more suited for her.

I really don't see the Queen gifting the Cambridge Lovers Knot tiara to Kate/Catherine. Although the tiara has significant history, it is identified most with Diana since the 1980's. I don't see the Queen wanting to encourage comparisons.

I have no problem with Kate wearing the Cambridge Lover's knot, just not for the wedding. . . . .
Exactly! She has time to grow into the Lover's Knot but it really is too much associated with Diana for her to wear at her wedding. It would eclipse everything, and yes they are right, the media would overlook just about every other aspect of the wedding to drool over the fact she was wearing "Diana's Tiara". Everything else would pale into insignificance

In the current climate I don't think the queen would offer Catherine something from her private possession (her "vaults") to wear which hasn't been seen for decades. It's not good IMHo to remind the media that the queen owns so much jewelery never in use...:whistling:

But there are the pieces of the "Royal collection" which are more or less "public possession" as the queen just keeps them for her heir and thus the "nation". Aren't there any suitable tiaras?

I could see her well eg wearing the "Orange Blossom"-necklace as a headband instead of a tiara...

Royal Collection - Pieces from the orange blossom parure

I would love to see the Kokoshnik Tiara or the Fringe Tiara on Kate.

I think you may have a to wait a while to see Kate in the Kokoshnik. The fringe is certainly a possibility for the wedding, and one I am rooting for!

In the current climate I don't think the queen would offer Catherine something from her private possession (her "vaults") to wear which hasn't been seen for decades. It's not good IMHo to remind the media that the queen owns so much jewelery never in use...:whistling:
I don't think there is anyone who is NOT awear that the Queen has many possessions in her "vaults" that we have not seen in decades or at all for that matter ( in most of our life times at least) ..so I think this is a moot point... IMO I hope she does pull something rich in history for Kate. Great to see the old pieces used again.:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with Lady Ann, an older piece from the royal collection for Catherine ought not to be seen negatively at all by the British people.

Kataryn, Are you serious? I think the people would be happier if the Queen dusted off some old jewels, then purchase new ones. I for one, would love to see something new, but it would probably be best if it came from the Middleton's...... :flowers:

Which tiaras is she allowed to wear??

Which tiaras is she allowed to wear??

Theoretically, any tiara owned by the Queen. Or, Charles could buy her one as a wedding gift, or her family could buy her one.

Now, on that note The Spencer tiara won't be worn, the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara won't be worn (too associated with Diana, even though it's possible she could become The Duchess of Cambridge), and the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland won't be worn (it's too associated with the Queen).

Any jewelry loaned to Diana during her marriage was returned to the Queen upon her divorce. Any jewelry that was personally owned by Diana at the time of her death, became the property of her family (see: her engagement ring).

So while we may not see Camilla wearing the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara, that doesn't mean it's because she doesn't have the right to wear it. The tiara belongs to the crown, and when Camilla is Queen, the jewels will be at her personal disposal. So if she chooses to wear it, she chooses to wear it. The tiara may be "associated" with Diana, but it's not her property. It's the state's.

Not true. Diana was permitted to retain all of her royal jewels after the divorce with the proviso they could never be lent or sold. The agreement stated these jewels would pass to Prince William for his wife to wear after her death. Since she died a year later and William was still a minor, the jewels were instead returned to The Queen.

Whether they reappear on Catherine or not is entirely up to The Queen as these jewels are all her personal property. They are not the property of the State or the Crown. The State Regalia, George IV State Diadem and the Indian Circlet all belong to the Crown.

Once Charles is King, it certainly is possible that Camilla could wear the Lover's Knot Tiara as Queen Consort, although given the large selection available to her, I highly doubt she will do so.

I thought the poster was talking about Diana's personal Jewelry...which I would love to see on Kate or whom ever Harry ends up marring... but if not.

I have to say while I agree about it being Camillia's right to wear the royal jewels if allowed too..and I have nothing against Camillia...BUT, the first time I saw her wearing the Prince of Wales signet I took a deep gasp and thought oh no...it took me days to recover...:ermm: Athough, I Knew this was the Prince of Wales' pin, and never belonged to Diana...
Google Image Result for http://www.linksjewel.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/291-300x235.jpg

So, can Kate keep her engagement ring? Or is it safely tucked away since she will wear band of Welsh gold?
Enlighten me..

So, can Kate keep her engagement ring? Or is it safely tucked away since she will wear band of Welsh gold?
Enlighten me..

Not sure what you mean..if you mean will she wear the engagement ring once she is married...IMO yes, Diana also had a band of Welsh gold which she wore behind her engagement ring. I assume Kate would do the same.

Does that help?? here is a picture of Daina wearing both rings:
EDIT FOR BETTER PICTURE....
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.mydaily.co.uk/media/2010/11/diana-wedding-ring.jpg

Last edited:
I thought the poster was talking about Diana's personal Jewelry...which I would love to see on Kate or whom ever Harry ends up marring... but if not.

I have to say while I agree about it being Camillia's right to wear the royal jewels if allowed too..and I have nothing against Camillia...BUT, the first time I saw her wearing the Prince of Wales signet I took a deep gasp and thought oh no...it took me days to recover...:ermm: Athough, I Knew this was the Prince of Wales' pin, and never belonged to Diana...
Google Image Result for http://www.linksjewel.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/291-300x235.jpg

I can understand that, but something people need to come to terms with (not necessarily you) is that as Charles' wife, Camilla will be wearing a lot of the same jewels that Diana wore and would have worn, had they not divorced. So yes, she might well end up wearing the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara or any other pieces that have become associated with his late first wife.

Everyone (again, not necessarily you) just needs to move on.

Not sure what you mean..if you mean will she wear the engagement ring once she is married...IMO yes, Diana also had a band of Welsh gold which she wore behind her engagement ring. I assume Kate would do the same.

Does that help?? here is a picture of Daina wearing both rings:
http://10.6.184.61:15871/cgi-bin/blockpage.cgi?ws-session=3443958319
I must look at this closly on my MAC..I cannot open the link on the netbook..
I was unsure if HRH to be will continue to wear that stunning Sapphire with the Welsh gold band..Lucky Girl...:)

branchg said:
Not true. Diana was permitted to retain all of her royal jewels after the divorce...
Actually this is a hugely confusing issue and I've heard both sides ...they belong to Crown (which is Queen or Charles) or William..... And I've heard both sides say they are right

Per US Magazine-

Accenting Middleton's perfect tresses? A tiara from the royal family collection. Though she has 80 to choose from, the frontrunner is the $10.5 million Strathmore Rose Tiara, which underwent a restoration for the big day. A palace official told Us, "Many of these tiaras have not been touched for almost a century."

I think it would be amazing if we saw something new, and by that mean I something old that hasn't seen the light of day in centuries. It would be new to us, and most (if not all) people watching. It would give HM the chance to showpiece some beautiful jewels for the next generation of royals.

I have been a fan of the Strathmore Rose Tiara from the start I love it..It is charming and classic...I hope this is true.

But the history if the tiara and who owns it/has woren it may up the value

The Strathmore Tiara, even fully reset with D quality diamonds, is no way worth $10.5 million. That's crazy.

I hope it's not the Strathmore Tiara. It's pretty ugly in my opinion.

But the history if the tiara and who owns it/has woren it may up the value
Yes, but not that much. It was only worn by the Queen Mum, and mostly during her days as Duchess of York, before she access to the major jewels. Princess Margaret's Poltimore tiara fetched "only" $1.7 million, and that was a much more spectacular and famous (even though it was worn only once) because it was a wedding tiara.

Last edited:
US Weekly isn't the most reliable source so it's possible they made it up :)

Princess Margaret's Poltimore tiara fetched "only" $1.7 million, and that was a much more spectacular and famous (even though it was worn only once) because it was a wedding tiara.

Princess Margaret wore the Politmore Tiara many times, not just on her wedding day. It was her primary tiara for years and there are many photographs of her wearing it.

Before her marriage, she borrowed the Scroll Tiara from The Queen or wore the Papyrus Fan Tiara that was a gift from her mother, which she also used for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom