Catherine Middleton's Wedding Tiara: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?

• The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara

Votes: 19 11.5%
  • The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • The Strathmore Rose Tiara

Votes: 51 30.9%
  • The Spencer Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara)

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • The Rundell Diamond Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Something that has been hidden in the Vaults!

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • The Middletons will buy her a new one

• Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair.

• None of the Above

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps she'll wear a lighter tiara rather than a heavier one, simply because it'll be a long day and she's not used to the weight of a tiara.

I am thinking delicate leaves and berries of pearls and diamonds.
That would be really pretty, I agree.

Men don't wear tiaras (correct me if I'm wrong...)
I think that the only time a man wears head-jewelery is when a peer wears his coronet at a coronation. They put on the coronet after the monarch is crowned, as far as I know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think she should wear a lighter tiara as well. As much as I like the Lover's Knot tiara it is big and would probably weigh a ton with the veil added on to it.

Perhaps she'll wear a lighter tiara rather than a heavier one, simply because it'll be a long day and she's not used to the weight of a tiara.
It's probably already included in her Princess-in-training timetable... "Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10am sharp: hairdresser will be present; tiara will be delivered by Security. It is to be worn continuously around the house for the full hour and then returned to the designated Security officer. The period is to be increased by 15 minutes per week..."
:)

:previous: No, no, Warren, that's 15 minutes a day! And one hell of a long day it's going to be! :ROFLMAO:

Geoffrey Munn's Book: A History of Splendor

Since this book is referred to so often by tiara cognoscenti, I found several copies available on amazon this morning. A bit pricey, but not terribly out of sight for passionistas like me.

I think you're referring to the Queen Mary emerald choker. To my knowledge, the Princess of Wales never wore the Cambridge emeralds. They're in possession on QEII

Diana did indeed wears the Cambridge emerald choker on several occasions, most famously as a head band on a tour of Australia ( I think).

I don't know how "likely" it is, but my vote easily goes to the Hanover Fringe; not only is it one of the most beautiful tiaras (in my humble opinion), but I could see it easily looking fresh and modern with a more streamlined, minimalist dress, which is probably the direction Kate will go in. Greek Key is quite beautiful as well, though I think a royal wedding requires something a tad more opulent.

countess felicitas said:

That's lovely. I still hope Catherine wears a tiara of historical significance though. I know it's highly unlikely but I'm still crossing my fingers for the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland. As a one day loan, it would be a tremendous gesture of welcome from HM.

Honestly speaking - I am hoping for something hidden in the vaults which we haven't seen for ages. This would be something....

That's lovely. I still hope Catherine wears a tiara of historical significance though. I know it's highly unlikely but I'm still crossing my fingers for the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland. As a one day loan, it would be a tremendous gesture of welcome from HM.

I don't think she has the gravitas to wear HM's tiara. She needs something with less historical value. Something new or something put together from old pieces like Sophie's. Then again maybe Kate's tiara will not be made of jewels but from feathers.

Perhaps we might see something like the Teck Crescent tiara re-emerge for Catherine

Perhaps we might see something like the Teck Crescent tiara re-emerge for Catherine

I would be very happy. I like this tiara a lot, hope it still exists in HM's jewelery box.
What about the sapphire tiara? Maybe not for a wedding but to wear later (for galas, state visits). I think that colored stones could be look good on Catherine. HM didn't wear it too often, she prefers others tiaras, so maybe..

Catherine will no doubt not have any real need for a tiara for some time. Apart from her wedding day, I can't think of what else she may infact need the use of a tiara for. Now that William will be married I can't imagine we'll start seeing him attending State Banquets all of a sudden, nor his wife.

I'd endeavour to suggest that whichever tiara Catherine wears on her wedding day, that it will be the same tiara she wears until William either purchases her one, or she becomes Queen.

Last edited:
I'd endeavour to suggest that whichever tiara Catherine wears on her wedding day, that it will be the same tiara she wears until William either purchases her one, or she becomes Queen.

Possibly, unless the Middleton family buy her a tiara that she wears for the wedding. I also think she may get access to possibly another tiara when she becomes Princess of Wales.

Catherine will no doubt not have any real need for a tiara for some time. Apart from her wedding day, I can't think of what else she may infact need the use of a tiara for. Now that William will be married I can't imagine we'll start seeing him attending State Banquets all of a sudden, nor his wife.

I thinkalsoif she has only one during the lifetime of the Queen but when she becomes Duchess of Cornwall/Princess of Wales she will probably get more to use.

I'll be shocked if we see anything other than the Lover's knot tiara on Kate. Diana's will left that tiara for William's wife. But we will see next month.....finally!

I'd be surprised to see it and yet not surprised. But with William already giving Kate his mother's ring, I'm really not in favor of the idea.

I'm torn, I think the tiara would look just splendid on Catherine's dark locks, but like you said DM, she already has the ring, the tiara wld be too much. I'd rather it be kept for Harry's wife. Less than two months till we find out though!!!

:previous: That may be Chelsy :eek:

May it be a cold day in the underworld before she wears it should they, at some point, wed.

I don't think that Harry's wife would wear the Cambridge Lovers Knot tiara at all, unless something tragic happened so that Harry would eventually become Prince of Wales and then King. It's a tiara that's associated with the Queen Mary and Diana when she was Princess of Wales.

I don't think that Harry's wife would wear the Cambridge Lovers Knot tiara at all, unless something tragic happened so that Harry would eventually become Prince of Wales and then King. It's a tiara that's associated with the Queen Mary and Diana when she was Princess of Wales.

He is as much Diana's son as William. Considering Kate got the ring, perhaps something like wearing a tiara associated with Diana, would be granted to Harry's bride.

Do you mean the Cambridge Lovers Knot?Isn't that tiara property of QEII and was returned to her after divorce?

Diana's divorce agreement stated her royal jewels, including the Lover's Knot Tiara, were hers to keep for her lifetime, on condition they could never be lent or sold. In the event of her death, her royal jewels were to pass to Prince William for his wife to wear.

Because Diana died a year later, the tiara was returned to The Queen as Prince William was still young and unmarried. But I have no doubt it will indeed reappear on Catherine on her wedding day, although she may not wear it again for a long time after that.

He is as much Diana's son as William. Considering Kate got the ring, perhaps something like wearing a tiara associated with Diana, would be granted to Harry's bride.

I'm sure Harry's bride would also be offered the Lover's Knot Tiara for her wedding day as well. Like it or not, it is associated closely with Diana as The Queen hasn't worn it since the 1950's and it makes sense for a royal bride to wear Diana's royal tiara.

branchg said:
Diana's divorce agreement stated her royal jewels, including the Lover's Knot Tiara, were hers to keep for her lifetime, on condition they could never be lent or sold. In the event of her death, her royal jewels were to pass to Prince William for his wife to wear.

Because Diana died a year later, the tiara was returned to The Queen as Prince William was still young and unmarried. But I have no doubt it will indeed reappear on Catherine on her wedding day, although she may not wear it again for a long time after that.

A lot of blogs/articles state the Queen owns it....If William owns it then wouldn't that be what he gives Catherine? Why would the Queen have to 'gift' it to her? I'm sorry I have been under the impression for a long time that tiara belongs to the Crown and from what I've read I don't seem to be the only one

Here they says it's in Royal Vault- http://www.theroyalforums.com/9671-the-cambridge-lovers-knot-tiara/

Edit- ok there seem to be conflicting stories some say QEII owns it, some say William and Harry so I bow to knowledge of Forums- usually some posters know this stuff for sure ....But.... This blog has s photoshopped pic of Kate wearing it, anyone seen this?
http://www.princess-diana-remembere...aring-dianas-cambridge-lovers-knot-tiara.html

Last edited:
It has to do with status, though. Harry's wife won't have the status of a Queen or a Princess of Wales unless William dies and Harry has to take his place. This tiara is one that is worn by women of a higher status within the Royal family than that of wife to a King's or Prince of Wales' younger brother.

Last edited:
It has to do with status, though. Harry's wife won't have the status of a Queen or a Princess of Wales unless William dies and Harry has to take his place. This tiara is one that is worn by women of a higher status within the Royal family than that of wife to a King's or Prince of Wales' younger brother.

You could make that argument about any tiara in the family. You could say that any tiara Queen Mary wore should never have been given to her children's wives because she was of higher rank than their spouses. I also hate to bring this up but I would hate to see Camilla wear/have access to historical pieces but Harry's wife get something new.

As for the Lover's knot tiara I have heard that it was a loaner piece to Diana and that once she died it went back to the Queen. Which I might add I believe is a more likely scenario. I think that it is worth mentioning that Diana did not like that Harry was shafted due to his status as the second son. So unless we get confirmation from the palace I think that the tiara is still pretty much anybodies guess.

I also think that while Kate might get some old jewels she doesn't deserve everyone in the vaults. There is more than enough to share among the female members of the family.

You could make that argument about any tiara in the family. You could say that any tiara Queen Mary wore should never have been given to her children's wives because she was of higher rank than their spouses. I also hate to bring this up but I would hate to see Camilla wear/have access to historical pieces but Harry's wife get something new.

As for the Lover's knot tiara I have heard that it was a loaner piece to Diana and that once she died it went back to the Queen. Which I might add I believe is a more likely scenario. I think that it is worth mentioning that Diana did not like that Harry was shafted due to his status as the second son. So unless we get confirmation from the palace I think that the tiara is still pretty much anybodies guess.

I also think that while Kate might get some old jewels she doesn't deserve everyone in the vaults. There is more than enough to share among the female members of the family.

The main argument against pieces with a substantive royal history being provided to the wife of Harry is that there is a real possibility that in time, the jewels may be sold, and hence leave the royal family. This happened on a number of occassions after Queen Mary very generously left substantial pieces to all her children, a number of which have since been sold. Very mindful of this, HM only provided historical tiaras to the wives of Prince Charles, and not any of her other children.

I also hate to bring this up but I would hate to see Camilla wear/have access to historical pieces but Harry's wife get something new.

Camilla is Princess of Wales, and future Queen (irrespective of what she may be styled), so very much at the heart of the royal family. Harry's wife will not be outside of the "main line", and hence the possibility of a new tiara or a "lesser" tiara.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom