Catherine Middleton's Wedding Tiara: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?

• The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara

Votes: 19 11.5%
  • The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • The Strathmore Rose Tiara

Votes: 51 30.9%
  • The Spencer Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara)

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • The Rundell Diamond Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Something that has been hidden in the Vaults!

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • The Middletons will buy her a new one

• Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair.

• None of the Above

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with firebee... Flowers are timeless and many brides choose them even in "modern" times... I don't think Maria Olympia looked weird at all. ;)

Finally got through the thread and my vote goes to The Strathmore Tiara. Not only has it not been seen in a long time, but I think it would really look lovely on Kate.

Finally got through the thread and my vote goes to The Strathmore Tiara. Not only has it not been seen in a long time, but I think it would really look lovely on Kate.

I don't care for The Strathmore tiara as choice for Kate to wear on her wedding day. The Queen Mother wore it as a bandeau on her wedding day, which was the style at the time and it worked due to the small size and sparse design of the tiara. I don't think it is a grand enough tiara for a Royal Wedding worn on top of the head. For other Royal functions, it would be fine perfect..... but not the wedding. With Kates rich luxurious long hair and tall slim body, she could carry off a larger more substantial tiara. IMO of course.

1. I hope Kate's hair is up for the wedding. It is a formal occasion & all flopping around her face would look cheap and untidy.
  2. We don't know how the Strathmore will look worn in the conventional way as HM The Queen Mother never wore it that way and never saw fit to loan it to either of her daughters or her royal granddaughter.
I did wonder about the two rows of diamonds at the base of the Teck Crescent tiara. If removable, could these be worn in a similar fashion to the way Maxima wears the collet band?

I don't care for The Strathmore tiara as choice for Kate to wear on her wedding day. The Queen Mother wore it as a bandeau on her wedding day, which was the style at the time and it worked due to the small size and sparse design of the tiara. I don't think it is a grand enough tiara for a Royal Wedding worn on top of the head. For other Royal functions, it would be fine perfect..... but not the wedding. With Kates rich luxurious long hair and tall slim body, she could carry off a larger more substantial tiara. IMO of course.

You make a good point about tiaras and the person's height. That is the main reason why I don't think the Strathmore would work. Kate is a tall person but the tiara is so small that it would look odd on her and if she were to wear her hair down it would get lost in it. That is why if she is to borrow a tiara I picked the fringe.
That's why she'll have to wear her hair up at the wedding ;) At least I hope so!

I'm liking the fringe more and more, but still like the County of Surrey as well.

{snip} After she died, some of her jewels were sold off to pay death duties.
This is slightly off-topic, but how much are death duties? It seems like this is mentioned so often - that the children sold off the jewels to pay death duties. It seems odd that such wealthy families (I assume) wouldn't have enough to pay with cash rather than selling off family/royal heirlooms. So sad to lose them forever...

:previous:
In Britain "death duties" is now called "Inheritance Tax" and according to Wiki the rate is 40% of everything over £325,000 (US$519,000).

Query whether Catherine will receive the Cambridge emeralds that Diana had previously used?

Now that the official visit to Canada has been announced, shld we expect a tiara? I know Camilla did not wear a tiara, but didn't the Countess of Wessex where one when she made an official visit?

Query whether Catherine will receive the Cambridge emeralds that Diana had previously used?
I think you're referring to the Queen Mary emerald choker. To my knowledge, the Princess of Wales never wore the Cambridge emeralds. They're in possession on QEII

I think you're referring to the Queen Mary emerald choker. To my knowledge, the Princess of Wales never wore the Cambridge emeralds. They're in possession on QEII

The emerald choker of Diana is indeed part of the cambridge emeralds, just not from the parure that QE II wears. :flowers:

Thats right, I was referring to the choker from Queen Mary, whch was made using Cambridge emeralds.

Now that the official visit to Canada has been announced, shld we expect a tiara? I know Camilla did not wear a tiara, but didn't the Countess of Wessex where one when she made an official visit?

I think it is unlikely that Catherine will wear a tiara on the forthcoming trip to Canada.

well, if they come to the USA I would bet that they would be invited to dinner at the Whitehouse. So....... maybe?

well, if they come to the USA I would bet that they would be invited to dinner at the Whitehouse. So....... maybe?

Of the ladies of the BRF, it is only the Queen that typically wears tiaras when abroad. Camilla has only worn a tiara once when abroad, whilst at the Commonwealth Heads of Government meetings in Uganda.

Of the ladies of the BRF, it is only the Queen that typically wears tiaras when abroad. Camilla has only worn a tiara once when abroad, whilst at the Commonwealth Heads of Government meetings in Uganda.

Diana wore one to the Whitehouse when she danced with John Travolta in the famous midnight blue velvet dress.

Past Canadian visits of both Sarah and Diana included state dinners where the tiaras came out. Wouldn't it make sense, then, that Catherine would also wear tiaras for state dinners?

During Diana's first visit in 1983, the tiaras came out 5 times:

Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara with cream gown in Ottawa
Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara with yellow gown
Spencer tiara with aqua gown in St. John, NB
Spencer Tiara with red gown in Edmonton
Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara with a bright pink dress in Ottawa. I have pictures of this in a book but cannot find any online. The same dress was worn in Australia (but with the Spencer tiara) also in 1983

Last edited:
Diana wore one to the Whitehouse when she danced with John Travolta in the famous midnight blue velvet dress.

I've never seen a picture of her wearing a tiara at that event, just the pearl and sapphire choker. Which tiara did she wear?

Confirming no tiara for Diana at the White House. Tiaras are worn when it is formal, this was a black tie event.

Last edited:
Confirming no tiara for Diana at the White House. Tiaras are worn when it is formal, this was a black tie event.

IMIO, tiara's are usually worn at "State banquets", which are typically held for visiting heads of state. Since Charles in not head of state, host nations have a banquet for him, but it is not a state banquet, and typically tiaras are not used. This is very much my view, but I also recognise that Diana did wear tiaras in Canada in the early 1980s.

Galería de imágenes - Foto 2 - Catherine Middleton, en busca de su tiara nupcial
Hola magazine has a nice list with all the British tiaras that she can choose , really stunning, must be fun on trying all of them!
Google Translate

Rather unfortunately, IMO the list in Hola / Hello has not really been thought thorugh and is just a random listing of tiaras. It includes tiaras that are in active use by HM currently (including the Girls of Great Britain & Northern Ireland tiara and the Grand Duchess Vladamir), and tiaras that other members of the BRF use (Greak Meander tiara used by Anne). It also has a number of pictures of the Spencer tiara that Diana used, but that really belongs to Earl Spencer, and not the BRF.

IMIO, tiara's are usually worn at "State banquets", which are typically held for visiting heads of state. Since Charles in not head of state, host nations have a banquet for him, but it is not a state banquet, and typically tiaras are not used. This is very much my view, but I also recognise that Diana did wear tiaras in Canada in the early 1980s.

Thank you for your illumination. Having been a Congressional Page in my early years and briefly worked in the White House during the Reagan administration, I am well aware of White House protocol.

I really like the Strathmore Tiara, I think it is very elegant.

Thank you for your illumination. Having been a Congressional Page in my early years and briefly worked in the White House during the Reagan administration, I am well aware of White House protocol.

Not sure the sarcasm is really either appropriate, or constructive.

There was no scarcasm in my post. Just the facts, ma'am.

I hope it's The Girls of Great Britain & Ireland Tiara

But given the fact this was a wedding present to HM by Queen Mary, it is doubtful. IBut I think it is a significant tiara to add to the majestic aura of the occasion and to Kate's statuesque beauty.

susankay said:
But given the fact this was a wedding present to HM by Queen Mary, it is doubtful. But I think it is a significant tiara to add to the majestic aura of the occasion and to Kate's statuesque beauty.

Ah but wouldn't that be sorta sweet- given to the granddaughter on her wedding and then HM gives it (lends) to her granddaughter in law :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom