Catherine Middleton's Wedding Tiara: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?

• The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara

Votes: 19 11.5%
  • The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • The Strathmore Rose Tiara

Votes: 51 30.9%
  • The Spencer Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara)

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • The Rundell Diamond Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Something that has been hidden in the Vaults!

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • The Middletons will buy her a new one

• Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair.

• None of the Above

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also with the giving of her engagement ring to Kate who really knows who got what. I know I remain unconvinced that the ring went to Harry and he gave it to his brother for his future wife. Its kind of a crazy way to do things. I would think if it meant that much to him he would have kept it for his future wife. That could just be me though.

What i read was that Harry choose the ring as a keepsake that day he and William went round the apartment for the last time (William choose his mother's 18carat gold Cartier watch) but the ring technically belonged to both of them. The agreement was that whichever brother got engaged first then they would use Diana's ring that happened to be William with Kate. We could very well if Harry had proposed to Chelsy a few years back seen her wear the ring but that wasnt the case so we shall never fully know

I like the idea of the Strathmore as well or the Dutchess of Teck. Something floral will soften the lines of her hair, body and clothes...she is very attractive but her look is lithe.

What i read was that Harry choose the ring as a keepsake that day he and William went round the apartment for the last time (William choose his mother's 18carat gold Cartier watch) but the ring technically belonged to both of them. The agreement was that whichever brother got engaged first then they would use Diana's ring that happened to be William with Kate. We could very well if Harry had proposed to Chelsy a few years back seen her wear the ring but that wasnt the case so we shall never fully know

You are correct. It still seems so odd to me. I guess that means Diana's watch is a shared gift too?

I personally think the ring should have remained in the vaults for safe-keeping.

I think this one may actually be Queen Mary's fringe, which is smaller and more delicate looking than the King George III fringe....

QEII and Princess Anne wore QM's fringe at their wedding :flowers:

I love these tiaras. It would be nice to see Kate get one of them. Forget about the Lover's Knot. She would look awesome in either one of these and they are so traditional royal

How certain is it that the Queen will gift her a tiara? She gave one to each of her daughters in law, Diana's being the most spectacular, but Autumn Kelly, the only granddaughter in law so far, wore one borrowed from the Princess Royal. I suppose the fact that Catherine likely will one day be Queen and the mother of a future monarch and attend functions were she'll wear a tiara makes her case very different from Peter and Autumn Phillips. I'm just wondering if Prince Charles would give her a tiara instead (does he have any?) rather than the Queen. Personally I'd love for them to dust one off from the vaults that hasn't been seen in a long while - even one with sapphires to go with the ring, although I think she'd look stunning in a fringe tiara. At least Prince William is tall enough that she can wear a tiara with some height without appearing to tower over him.

I don't think that Charles owns any tiaras. All the Queen Mother's jewellery was inherited by HM, because their are no death duties for monarch-to-monarch-inheritance. Therefore we must assume that the Duchess of Cornwall got the honeycomb tiara as a loan from HM. And I believe that Kate will also will not get her tiara as a wedding gift, but as a (permanent?) loan from QEII.

I don't think that Charles owns any tiaras. All the Queen Mother's jewellery was inherited by HM, because their are no death duties for monarch-to-monarch-inheritance. Therefore we must assume that the Duchess of Cornwall got the honeycomb tiara as a loan from HM. And I believe that Kate will also will not get her tiara as a wedding gift, but as a (permanent?) loan from QEII.

I agree with you, it will be a permanent role.

It willbe a permanent loan. Even Diana gotthe Cambridge lobvers Knot tiara and the emerald choker only as permanent loans and not as gifts.

Personally, I am not very keen to see some of Diana's "signature" pieces (the emerald choker or the sapphire choker) appear on Catherine in her early years as a royal. It woud just invite further comparison, and I would muchg rather that Catherine first estanblish herself as a royal and in time, probably once she is PoW, she starts to wear some of Diana's jewels. Not sure how others feel about this.

In the interim, some other pieces from the royal collection (or perhaps purchases made by Camillia and Charles for Catherine) could be provided for her use.

I would think that someone would give her a new tiara. Like maybe, Prince Charles? The Queen will undoubtably give her something from the royal vaults. The big question is which one?

While we have all been discussing which tiara it will be, I am not at all sure she will get one for the wedding itself. Or at least the walk up the aisle. After all she is a commoner. Maybe she will do what Fergie did, and wear flowers to the alter and a tiara when she exits. Is there a protocol for this kind of thing?

While we have all been discussing which tiara it will be, I am not at all sure she will get one for the wedding itself. Or at least the walk up the aisle. After all she is a commoner. Maybe she will do what Fergie did, and wear flowers to the alter and a tiara when she exits. Is there a protocol for this kind of thing?

There is no obvious protocol as to tiaras for princesses-to-be at their weddings. Brides entering the royal family have typically worn tiaras at these weddings, often provided by the BRF itself. Given that Kate will be a future Queen, I would be surprised if she did not wear a tiara at her wedding.

I think Sarah wore her tiara and it was hidden by the flowers .

She wore the flowers going into the church because she wasn't a princess but coming out of the church she was one. I think she said that on Oprah many years ago. :)

I would think that someone would give her a new tiara. Like maybe, Prince Charles? The Queen will undoubtably give her something from the royal vaults. The big question is which one?

I don't think her being a commoner is a bar to wearing one because Autumn Kelly wore one borrowed from the Princess royal @ her wedding and she was a commoner, as well.
The last time someone married the heir apparent while his grandmother was on the throne was Queen Mary, Princess of Teck and she was gifted the girls of great britian & ireland tiara by a committee organized by Mrs. Greville. Her parents gave her a turquoise tiara and Queen Victoria gave her a diamond fringe necklace/tiara. So there's precedent for the Queen gifting Catherine jewelry.

Sarah covered her tiara with flowers. Sophie, who was pretty much in the same situation (aka marrying a younger son of the Queen) didn't. To me that makes it clear that this has nothing to do with protocol or traditions. It was just a personal decision of Sarah to do so. Catherine will be able to make her own choice in this respect.

I have to say, I'm looking forward to Catherine breathing new, young life into the BRF's jewels, like many of the other Crown Princesses do (CP Mary, CP Maxima). In my lifetime, I've seen the majority of the jewels on QEQM and QEII. Camilla isn't going to be a spring chicken when/if she gets to wear them either.

Sarah wore the floral wreath on her head just as Queen Victoria did on her wedding day, it was sort of like a tribute to Queen Victoria.

Kate will perhaps have the teck tiara or the girls of great britain tiara.

Kate will perhaps have the teck tiara or the girls of great britain tiara.

I doubt the Queen will part with just yet but I would LOVE for Kate wear it for the wedding. If it were me I would ask to use it for the wedding only...would that be concidered pushy to ask?
:candycane:

I doubt the Queen will part with just yet but I would LOVE for Kate wear it for the wedding. If it were me I would ask to use it for the wedding only...would that be concidered pushy to ask?
:candycane:

If she where to wear that tiara it would be no different than wearing diana's tiara in the sense that both are very associated with the people who either used to wear it or who wear it now. My vote still goes to no tiara or a new one bought by Charles.

i think she should have the strathmore tiara, but i heard it's not in a good shape and conditions. the scroll tiara is my other option.

I'm hoping for the Rundell but think it may be the Strathmore. Catherine's arrival gives HM the perfect reason to have it repaired & refurbished.

So here is my updated list of potential tiaras for Catherine:

1) Fringe
2) Scroll
3) Teck
4) Strathmore Rose

I have to say, I'm looking forward to Catherine breathing new, young life into the BRF's jewels, like many of the other Crown Princesses do (CP Mary, CP Maxima). In my lifetime, I've seen the majority of the jewels on QEQM and QEII. Camilla isn't going to be a spring chicken when/if she gets to wear them either.

Camilla is the perfect person to wear QE QM's jewels. after all a younger woman could not pull off the delhi durbar, or the honeycomb tiara.

i can't wait to see some new goodies (old stuff, no one has seen in awhile) on Kate.

Or how about this one? It is called the Godman necklace. I bet this could be worn as a tiara and the top emeralds taken off....... just thinking out loud, but all comments welcome :D

Last edited by a moderator:
while doing endless research on tiaras. I happened to come across this one worn by QE II decades ago. Could this be a contender for Kate?

does anyone know what tiara this is?
This is the Plunket tiara and is not owned by the BRF. HM borrowed it once because something happened to her own tiara. Meanwhile the Plunket family has sold this tiara afaik.
Or how about this one? It is called the Godman necklace. I bet this could be worn as a tiara and the top emeralds taken off....... just thinking out loud, but all comments welcome :D
Yes, it would make a very nice small tiara. But I don't think that emeralds are a good choice for a wedding tiara (unless it is the only tiara you have).
But there might be a couple of diamond necklaces which would make a nice tiara for a young woman like Catherine.

Some people in this thread mentioned that the fringe tiara might be a bit too big for her. So I thought that it might be possible to change the City of London fringe necklace so that it can be worn as a tiara. At least to me the necklace looks smaller than Queen Mary's fringe tiara. It was a wedding gift to QEII and currently can't be worn as a tiara because it is thread on silk. But I am convinced that a jeweller would be able to create a fitting tiara frame for it.

The Godman would make a lovely tiara, but as pointed out, I am not sure it is appopriate as a wedding tiara for Catherine.

The Godman would make a lovely tiara, but as pointed out, I am not sure it is appopriate as a wedding tiara for Catherine.
I know emeralds wouldn't be good for the wedding, but my thought is that, I'll bet the stones could be switched out. The Queen has a quite a few necklaces that could be converted into tiaras. Thats just one. :flowers:

I shall be furious if Catherine Middleton gets rubbish like what Sophie Wessex got. Indeed, I hope she gets beautiful ice, whether bought like Sarah Ferguson's stuff or inherited from the Queen. In fact, the Queen has a beautiful tiara that she never wears because she wears the central motif as a pin. So, Lilibet could wear one less brooch and Catherine could have that tiara! Also, I am looking forward very much to seeing Princess Catherine wearing Princess Diana's rocks.

jemagre said:
If she where to wear that tiara it would be no different than wearing diana's tiara in the sense that both are very associated with the people who either used to wear it or who wear it now. My vote still goes to no tiara or a new one bought by Charles.

Or maybe a new one her parents bought her as a gift- that might be nice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom