Catherine Middleton's Wedding Tiara: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?

• The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara

Votes: 19 11.5%
  • The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • The Strathmore Rose Tiara

Votes: 51 30.9%
  • The Spencer Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara)

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • The Rundell Diamond Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Something that has been hidden in the Vaults!

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • The Middletons will buy her a new one

• Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair.

• None of the Above

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason I think Strathmore Rose will be her wedding tiara. For it a very "sweet" tiara (sorry no other word) also quite suitable for a young bride. Besides, it somehow reflects the tradition where brides wear flowers as hair ornaments.

I agree that it's unlikely that QEII will give up her favourite tiaras, so I don't expect to see the Girls, Vladimir or Kokoshnik tiaras on Catherine any time soon.
The Rundell seems too big for a young, modern women like Catherine (although I would not be amoung those who would complain about a new sighting of this beauty!). I know, Princess Alexandra wore it as a very young woman, but those were diffenrent times. Also I wonder if the Rundell still exists. It is strange that Queen Mary was never seen with it, as she loved her jewels sooo much.
It would also be great to see the Surrey tiara or the Ladies of England tiara (which is not in your wonderful blog) again. Yet I fear that they don't exist anymore.
That photo of the sapphire bandeau is the clearest I have yet seen of this tiara. It is great to see the sunburst pattern of it more clearly. I wonder if the sapphire could be interchanged with a diamond element? That way Catherine would have an all diamond wedding tiara, and later she could also wear the sapphire version.
One can only hope that the Queen comes up with a really good solution. I don't want to see something similar to Sophie's wedding tiara:ohmy:!

Thank you for the input, in all of my digging I did not find any remote evidence that the "Ladies of England" still exists so I opted to leave it out. The image I used in my blog of the Rundell appears to be a color studio shot so perhaps it is still with us. Here is the only image of the "LOE" I was able to find. It is lovely and versatile, yet the central cluster is a bit distracting IMO. I am in agreement about Sophie's tiara. It was a nice thought to make it from the anthemions of Queen Victoria's Grand Regal Circlet but the design was not successful. Too much of the framework is always exposed when worn which makes it look very cobbled together...

QM516.jpg
QM517.jpg

Left: Queen Mary wearing the "Ladies of England" tiara and Right: the tiara worn as a necklace (along with the GGB&I tiara).

AR

Last edited:
I too never found evidence that the Ladies of England tiara still exists. But also I never heard rumours about it being broken up. What about the Surrey tiara, is there evidence that it still is in existance? I think that we are totally in the dark about these two tiaras.

In your blog you use a picture of the Rundell tiara which originates from royal-magazin.de. "Rundell" Tiara |Royal Wedding gift to Queen Alexandra | Jewel of the Royals
I do believe that it is a black and white photo and the color impression is due to the layout of the site.

The high frame of Sophie's tiara really is a big problem. The tiara would look much better if it were lowered, so that the anthemion elements would not stick out so much. But still I think the tiara just looks like a couple of separate elements mounted on the same frame. I don't know how to explain my impression, but the elements look so disconected. It's so obvious that they were not originally designed to be worn like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
You make a good point about the Surrey and the LOE being similarly out of circulation but not confirmed as broken-up. I have added the LOE to my blog list as a second "Wild Card" addition. Again, I agree about Sophie's tiara. If it were just on a platinum/white gold frame, lowered, and if it were reduced to the three anthemion ornaments set edge to edge it would be more successful. It would read as a bandeau and would loosely evoke the Queen Mother's "Papyrus" tiara.

Here is a quick edit.
http://tinyurl.com/2vrtmn5

AR

For some reason I think Strathmore Rose will be her wedding tiara. For it a very "sweet" tiara (sorry no other word) also quite suitable for a young bride. Besides, it somehow reflects the tradition where brides wear flowers as hair ornaments.
I dont know why everyone keeps referring to her as 'a young bride' in need of a 'sweet' or light tiara. Kate will be 28 in a few days. Certainly old enough for one of the more substantial tiaras.

You make a good point about the Surrey and the LOE being similarly out of circulation but not confirmed as broken-up. I have added the LOE to my blog list as a second "Wild Card" addition. Again, I agree about Sophie's tiara. If it were just on a platinum/white gold frame, lowered, and if it were reduced to the three anthemion ornaments set edge to edge it would be more successful. It would read as a bandeau and would loosely evoke the Queen Mother's "Papyrus" tiara.

Here is a quick edit.
wessexRedux.png picture by AesthetcusRex - Photobucket

AR

I like your idea about changing Sophie's tiara. "Less is more" seems to be the appropriate motto for this piece.

On the lookout for more options I remembered this page: Queen Mary Diamond Tiara | Diamant Tiara
On the top from left to right:
1. Diamond bandeau with an emerald brooch as centre piece.
2. Sophie of Wessex' aquamarine tiara, which is a contemporary piece and has no connection to Queen Mary, afaik.
3. All diamond bandeau, the current whereabouts are unknown, afaik.
4. The sapphire bandeau which originally belonged Grand Duchess Vladimir (which is mentioned in your lovely blog).
Further down:
5. Diamond bandeau which went to the Kents
6. Lozenge shaped Diamond bandeau

1 and 4 might be the same bandeau with different centre pieces. A poster on the RJOTWB once posted pictures on which one could make out the same sunburst pattern.
No. 3 might still be in the possession of the Queen. Maybe it goes in the same category as the LOE and Surrey tiaras: we are in the dark about their existence and there is a tiny chance of it's reappearance.
No. 6 imo goes into the same category as the sapphire bandeau: once worn by Princess Margret it's most likely still in the Queen's possession.

I totally agree about the Lover's Knot being too associated with Diana to be a fair choice/burden for Kate. It should emerge down the road as an alternate for state functions....give it another decade at least. I wrote a blog post with a rundown of the tiara's that are "in play" and I received a lot of grief for placing the Lover's Knot so low in preference. I left off the "Meander" tiara as it was definitely given to Princess Anne in the early 1970s. I included the "Scroll" because it has the lightness and sweetness of the "Strathmore Rose" and was likely only on loan to Margaret and Anne. I attached my post below if you are curious...

AR

Very well written blog post!

I too think that the Greek Meander tiara is now Anne's and is unavailable for Catherine. The Scroll Tiara coujld be very suitable for Catherine, if available. Does anybody recall when Anne or Margaret last used it? I am just not sure about the LoE or the Surrey tiaras - whether they still exist in the main line in their original forms, or if they were passed out of the main line.

I'm kind of liking the scroll myself. I can't remember the most recent time it was used. Princess Anne in the 70s?

The scroll was last worn by Anne in the late 60's/early 70's. She has not worn it after her marriage to Mark Phillips.

I for one still would like to talk about what tiara we think she will wear and also about the earrings and/or neckless she might wear>>> Anyone Anyone...

Marie of The Sea said:
Hello, Lemon Lyman.
Maybe this will be helpful. The ring actually belonged to both boys.

Diana's Rings

Not sure it is as the sources are both not reliable. I do think we have to take alot of what the papers say with a huge pinch of salt!

I totally agree about the Lover's Knot being too associated with Diana...
Wow, thanks so much for the pictures and all the info in your blog...my choice first for Kate would be 3. The Strathmore Rose Tiara and second my choice would be 6. The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara.

I dont know why everyone keeps referring to her as 'a young bride' in need of a 'sweet' or light tiara. Kate will be 28 in a few days. Certainly old enough for one of the more substantial tiaras.
Actually Kate will be 29 on January 9, 2011... but in my opinion she still counts as a young bride...;)

I for one still would like to talk about what tiara we think she will wear and also about the earrings and/or neckless she might wear>>> Anyone Anyone...

I'm all for that! I found where someone photo shopped various Tiara's on Kate:

Duchess Vladimir Tiara:

http://mandysroyalty.org/artists/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/kate-vlad.jpg

I don't particularly care for this one, and think Kate could get away with a more substantial tiara.

Strathmore Rose Tiara:

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/3907/katestrathmore.jpg

George III Diamond Fringe Tiara: My personal favorite

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/8205/kateb.jpg

Excellent! Love this one-

Mine too with those choices. My personal favorite is the The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara, but I don't see the Queen relinquishing that one.

Here is one that is being auctioned at Christie's and IMO, this tiara is perfect for her in every way and it matches her engagement ring! Too bad it's not part of the Royal family's collection.

THE PORTLAND ANTIQUE SAPPHIRE, DIAMOND AND NATURAL PEARL TIARA | Jewelry Auction</li> | Jewelry, tiara | Christie's

This is beautiful. It seems like it would be perfect for Catherine. Not knowing anything about royalty. Is there a way to show this tiara to somebody in royal circles?

I think that would look great on her, but not right now. At the present, she'd be the daughter-in-law of the future king, and something like that would be best suited on the daughter-in-law of the king. Once Charles ascends the throne and William is the heir, something like that would be perfect for her position. Right now, it would look a little too......."big" for her place in line.

This is beautiful. It seems like it would be perfect for Catherine. Not knowing anything about royalty. Is there a way to show this tiara to somebody in royal circles?

I think the auction already took place. I tried to do a search on it at the Christie's site and wasn't able to pull it up. No telling who bought it. :sad:

With the number of tiaras that have been passed down in the Royal Family, and many that haven't been seen in years, it would be nice if the Queen had one modified or assembled in a style like this which would be stunning on Kate. Lord knows there are enough brooches, earrings and necklaces that have been made from dismantled tiaras. It would be wonderful to see some of them used again in a tiara.

My fav picks are the Scroll tiara, the Strathmore Rose, the Circle Teck, and a modified version of the Girls of England. I don't understand why everyone seems to think the Rundell will be hers to use. It's too big and grand for her IMO.

Catherine will become the wife of the heir to the throne eventually, so I think it's highly likely she will receive a significant tiara from The Queen. There are plenty left in the vaults that could be modified for practical use (Rundell Tiara or Ladies of England), or she could choose to give her a brand-new one.

I really hope the Lovers Knot does not end up being Kate's wedding tiara. It is far too closely identified with Diana, and I think Catherine can do without any more of the obvious comparisons in her earlier years than she will already have to contend with.

The Lover's Knot Tiara was a wedding gift to Diana from The Queen and could very well end up being Catherine's tiara as well. This is in the royal tradition and Diana's divorce agreement stated her royal jewels were to pass to Prince William for his future wife to wear.

So, The Queen may choose to give it to her as it may have been considered in safekeeping until William married.

I think so too. ;)

I like the diamond bandeau Princess Margaret had on. It's a very nice tiara and is suitable for a wedding

The Lover's Knot Tiara was a wedding gift to Diana from The Queen and could very well end up being Catherine's tiara as well. This is in the royal tradition and Diana's divorce agreement stated her royal jewels were to pass to Prince William for his future wife to wear.

So, The Queen may choose to give it to her as it may have been considered in safekeeping until William married.

I have heard this statement before about Diana's jewels but I am curious as to were this came from. It has always been my understanding that these jewels were just loans therefore Diana would not have been able to stipulate were they went in a divorce settlement. Right???

Also with the giving of her engagement ring to Kate who really knows who got what. I know I remain unconvinced that the ring went to Harry and he gave it to his brother for his future wife. Its kind of a crazy way to do things. I would think if it meant that much to him he would have kept it for his future wife. That could just be me though.

I have heard this statement before about Diana's jewels but I am curious as to were this came from. It has always been my understanding that these jewels were just loans therefore Diana would not have been able to stipulate were they went in a divorce settlement. Right???

Just to clarify facts about the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara, here's a bit of history on it and where it has been. The Royal Forums » The Cambridge Lovers Knot Tiara

I knew there was one tiara that did give Diana headaches from wearing and now I know which one it was. Perhaps the Strathmore is lighter and would be more comfortable for Kate on her wedding day. I also think its more delicate and perfect for a veil.

Just to clarify facts about the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara, here's a bit of history on it and where it has been. The Royal Forums » The Cambridge Lovers Knot Tiara

I knew there was one tiara that did give Diana headaches from wearing and now I know which one it was. Perhaps the Strathmore is lighter and would be more comfortable for Kate on her wedding day. I also think its more delicate and perfect for a veil.

Thank you for the clarification. I had heard scattered accounts about when the Lover's Knot made its way back tot he vaults.

AR

The jewels were gifts from The Queen's personal collection to the future Queen. Diana was permitted to keep any royal jewels for her lifetime after the divorce, with the condition they could never be lent or sold, and agreed they would pass to Prince William after her death.

Because she died tragically a year later and William was still a minor at the time, these jewels were instead returned to The Queen as they belong to her.

Here is a quick edit.
wessexRedux.png picture by AesthetcusRex - Photobucket

AR

You have made great work on your blog but the tiara worn by the Queen and Princess Anne on their Wedding Days is not the George III. fringe tiara. it's Queen Mary's fringe tiara which was made for her in 1919. She gave it to hte late Queen Mother in 1936 and it is the one the Queen Mother wore a lot until the middle of the 1950's. It was statet on the Royal collection Website but i can't find it at the moment.
Actually there a big number of fringe tiaras in the RF but it'snotclear how many. The late Queen Mother wore once in the 1940's a fringe tiara and a fringe necklace. Queen mary has also worn different ones and the Pricness Royal Mary owned also one or two fringe tiaras.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom