Catherine Middleton's Wedding Tiara: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?

• The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara

Votes: 19 11.5%
  • The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • The Strathmore Rose Tiara

Votes: 51 30.9%
  • The Spencer Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara)

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • The Rundell Diamond Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Something that has been hidden in the Vaults!

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • The Middletons will buy her a new one

• Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair.

• None of the Above

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
What about the big tiara that Camilla wears? I keep forgetting what it's called but it's really beautiful and I'm sure Kate can pull it off.

:previous: The Boucheron Honeycomb tiara?

Oh I should hope we never see Catherine wear it. It would look incredibly gaudy on a younger woman.

Last edited:
:previous: The Boucheron Honeycomb tiara?

Oh I should hope we never see Catherine wear it. It would look incredibly gaudy on a younger woman.

I have to agree with that. Not a tiara I can see on Catherine.

I really do not think that we will be seeing a large tiara that day. The Rundell is entirely too large and I believe, if we see it again, that it will be on Camilla's head. The other tiaras that have been discussed of Queen Mary's are also quite large, and over-the-top as well. As much as I would like to see the Strathmore Rose tiara make a re-appearance (the BRF is woefully lacking in a suitable floral tiara), it is my understanding that the piece is set in silver and is very, very badly tarnished and not wearable. If it were refurbished that would be wonderful. Given the fact that Miss Middleton is marrying the son of the heir to the throne (so, he's second in line right now) I do think that we will see a smaller tiara. I hope, hope, hope, HOPE it is not that Lover's Knot tiara. It's beautiful, but this is the time for Miss Middleton to receive that she can claim as a signature piece--and not one so closely associated with Diana. She has the engagement ring (gorgeous, BTW) let's see her get something not associated with Diana. I think that what she wears on her wedding day will be hers--just as Sarah's and Sophie's were. I would love to see a new tiara, but I don't think we will. I'm thinking a simple bandeau (one of Queen Mary's simpler pieces) or the Scroll tiara. It's quite appropriate for her, I think.

A bandeau tiara (similar to Maxima's) would look nice on Kate. Understated and elegant.

I think we are going to see a major tiara, both in size and in provenance. This is after all, the woman who will be the mother of future sovereigns. As we have seen QEQM's tiaras on Charles' second wife, who from a geneology standpoint will rate all of a notation of :2nd m. Camilla Shand Parker-Boweles (no issue), in the family tree of the House of Windsor. I can see why QEII would not want to give out major pieces to the younger DIL's but this is the main bloodline here. Also, because Kate has no family tiara, more than likely she will get a smaller one for other less prominent occasions.

Last edited:
I'd like to see Catherine inherit the use of the Saudi sapphire and diamond suite and the sapphire and diamond encrusted brooch with the addition of the pearls which comprise the correlating choker.

Also Diana's single strand of pearls and the graduated single strand of pearls along with the Emir of Qatar diamond and pearl drop earrings.

I believe Collingwood also presented Diana with a pair of diamond and pearl drop earrings that I'd also like to see Catherine wear and the diamond and emerald earrings Charles gave Diana on the occasion of her 22nd birthday.

As the Cambridge Art Deco emerald choker, the Queen's four row pearl choker and the Lovers Knot were returned to the royal collection upon her death, I doubt they are likley to be seen.

Everything else can go to Henry :p

Last edited:
I think the Strathmore Rose Tiara would be lovely with a veil but on its own, It doesn't really work to well as a tiara. I liked it worn over the forehead in a 20's style, but as a tiara it doesn't do it for me. But maybe if it were refurbished and given a higher base it could work well.

Scooter, I don't think we will see Kate with a large tiara for a long while. I don't see Kate being at many tiara events until William spends less time with the army and more with royal duties. Am I right in thinking that their children, if they have them while the Queen is still alive, will only be Lords and Lady's.

My bet is on the Scroll tiara. Its pretty and delicate but substantial enough for a future Queen. As for Diana's jewels, I would so love for Kate to get the Aquamarine earrings and the Sapphire Suite and Choker/Brooch. Also, incase anyone VIP is reading this, the Duchess's of Portland sapphire and pearl tiara would go perfect with these! But I dont think we will see Kate with any of Diana's jewels really.

It's beautiful, but this is the time for Miss Middleton to receive that she can claim as a signature piece--and not one so closely associated with Diana. She has the engagement ring (gorgeous, BTW) let's see her get something not associated with Diana.

I strongly suspect the Queen will be the one choosing Catherine's tiara if they decide to take one from the vaults, and she will no doubt vigorously avoid any more "Diana" jewels. I'm sure she will feel the ring is quite enough association. I will even be a bit surprised if Catherine is allowed to wear the Cambridge Lovers Knot for that reason.

As much as I would like to see the Strathmore Rose tiara make a re-appearance (the BRF is woefully lacking in a suitable floral tiara), it is my understanding that the piece is set in silver and is very, very badly tarnished and not wearable. If it were refurbished that would be wonderful. Given the fact that Miss Middleton is marrying the son of the heir to the throne (so, he's second in line right now) I do think that we will see a smaller tiara. I hope, hope, hope, HOPE it is not that Lover's Knot tiara. It's beautiful, but this is the time for Miss Middleton to receive that she can claim as a signature piece--and not one so closely associated with Diana. She has the engagement ring (gorgeous, BTW) let's see her get something not associated with Diana. I think that what she wears on her wedding day will be hers--just as Sarah's and Sophie's were.

Considering that QEQM was marrying the Second-in-line for the throne when she wore the Strathmore Rose tiara on her wedding day, the symbolism would be perfect! Plus I think there should be some rememberance of QEQM present too. She was involved in William'a life too! They certainly have time to spiff it up.

Am I right in thinking that their children, if they have them while the Queen is still alive, will only be Lords and Lady's.

According to Wikipedia, great-grandchildren of the reigning monarch:

"Great-grandchildren - Lord "X" "Z" (until 1917, it was HH Prince "X" of "Y").
Except the eldest living son of the eldest son of the Prince of Wales, HRH Prince "X" of "Y", where Y is the territorial designation of his father's peerage (if he has any; if not, Wales) and Z being the last name of the great grandchild."

So, their eldest son would be HRH Prince X of Wales (or his given peerage); any other children would be The Lord/Lady X Windsor until Prince Charles becomes King.

Hope that helps.
:flowers:

Basic collection of jewels I would like to see Catherine receive:

1) A pearl and diamond choker
2) One of the many "light" diamond necklaces that HM has
3) A relatively light / simple diamond tiara
4) Some coloured demi-parures: emeralds, rubies or sapphires
5) In time (and probably after Catherine becomes the PoW), and as a secondary piece, possibly the Cambridge Lovers Knot
6) Some more contemperory light jewellery like the sapphire necklace she wore the day the engagement was announced

I like this tiara but i don´t know if the owner is the Queen:
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/8245/margarita17pq4.jpg

According to "The Queen's Jewels" (Leslie Field, 1987, pg 141) the tiara that you mention and link to was given by the Queen Mother to Princess Margaret. I consulted the catalogs of the auction of Princess Margaret's items and did not see that tiara as one that was auctioned by her children. This tiara is referred to, by Fields, as a "diamond fan leaf" and in the is illustrated in "The Queen's Jewels" as worn in the style of the day (1929) across the then Duchess of York's forehead.

Not sure who has that tiara now, and if it stayed with Margaret's children or perhaps was purchased back by the Queen. Perhaps someone with more knowledge knows.

Anyone else keen on seeing the Teck Rose and Crescent Tiara as a part of the wedding ensemble? It might even ease some international tensions a bit and reflect some sense of diversity... I dunno.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f...dsor jewels/TECK2004TECKROSECRESCENTTIARA.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Queen Victoria's Wheat Ear Brooches?

EmpressRouge: You are spot-on, and it would seem a bit strange to saddle a young lady with the same tiara worn by the bride of her husband's first cousin once removed. As a future consort she likely deserves a hand-me-down a bit with more prestige.

For a more modern look comprised of something quite ancient, what about a couple of Queen Victoria's Wheat Ear Brooches, that The Queen has worn before as hair slides/ornaments. I believe that those were originally commissioned by William IV fashioned from diamonds that had belonged to George III. That she is marrying the man who will likely one day be William V, that could be appropriate; and, opting for something more simple, rather than a more traditional tiara, could seem appropriate for a modern 'career gal.'

It is a lovely tiara! So lovely that i wonder if this could be in the vaults of the RF without being worn (can't imagine Queen Mary leave it to collect dust :whistling:). Is it known to belong to the royal collection or did the tiara disappear completely?

Queen Mary, King George & his sisters came together after Queen Alexandra's death in 1925 to divide her jewels. QM took all pieces that had been wedding gifts for the royal collection. As we know the necklace, brooch & earings are still in existance. QM had a healthy supply of jewels from her own wedding gifts and the crown jewels so it is highly likely that the Rundell is languishing in the vaults, possibly needing a refurb.:flowers: It was over 40 years old when QA died and she wore it extensively so there would have been substantial "wear & tear". As QM had so many pieces of her own she may have just put it to one side.

Last edited:
As long as the Queen doesn't cobble something together from leftover bits and pieces in the vault for Catherine, like she did for Sophie.

I always thought that Sophie's wedding tiara was Prince Edwards idea. The pearl necklace was his design and not at all pretty. With Sophie's good taste, her heart must have sunk when she saw them both. And to have to wear them on her wedding day, poor Sophie.

I think it's called the lotus leaf tiara because of the motif. It belonged to Princess Margaret and was worn by the Viscountess Linley her wedding day.
Thanks. :flowers:

I think it's called the lotus leaf tiara because of the motif. It belonged to Princess Margaret and was worn by the Viscountess Linley her wedding day.

Actually, I don't think it ever "belonged" to Princess Margaret. It was in her care and had been given to the Queen Mother by Queen Mary. My belief is that after PM's death it was returned to the vaults and may, in the future, be used by the Linley's. I think HM is well aware that her nephew would sell his soul for a few thousand pounds! :ohmy::ohmy:

I really hope your right wymanda because I adore that tiara. Its so lovely and different from the other tiaras around.

I have uploaded to this link Flickr: carlambbrady's Photostream all the tiaras I could possible think of Catherine Middleton might wear either for the wedding day or or when she becomess Princess of Wales.

I think that Camila will choose to wear, in the future, tiaras that are not too identified with Queen Elizabeth. I seriously doubt she will ever wear the Girls of Great Britain, the Vladimir, the Fringe or the Indian Ruby tiaras. Those ones, I think they will be worn by Catherine in due time.

I would like to see Catherine wearing the Strathmore or the Fringe tiara on her wedding day. The Strathmore because it is lovely and the Fringe because it would be a wonderful gesture from the Queen welcoming her into her family and royalty. I might be completely wrong, and Catherine could end up wearing the Scroll tiara.

Last edited by a moderator:
The russian bandeau that princess Margaret is wearing is one of the nicest tiaras in the British collection IMO, I hope it is still around. I hope that Kate will wear it, but I don't think it is likely that it will be on her wedding day since most royal rides use diamonds (& pearls).

Wasn't the Nizam of H. tiara broken up?

Princess Margaret's family only sold one tiara, The Poltimore. But, I'm not sure what was specifically hers. Since Viscount Linley seemed to sell everything of any sentimental importance or significant value, I have always thought that certain pieces were on a lifetime loan. That would include the Persian Turquoise parue (I hope that it reverted back the The Queen) and the Lotus Flower tiara. There is a Snowdon tiara which we saw when Margaret's daughter was married, and Serena (Visountess Linley) wore the Lotus when she married. But, no turquoise for some time now. It would be nice if the Lotus re-appeared. I think it is a very lovely piece.

Perhaps the queen will re-introduce a tiara for Catherine that we haven't seen before. There must be jewels in her vaults that we are not aware of.

New Nizam

Then I would respectufully but strongly suggest the Queen to have the 3 Nizam remaining roses reset in a new tiara for Catherine!:D

Last edited:
Then I would respectufully but strongly suggest the Queen to have the 3 Nizam remaining roses reset in a new tiara for Catherine!:D
That's not a bad idea in. But look at the Queens record when it comes to putting together new tiaras: the Burmese ruby tiara, the aquamarine tiara, the sapphire tiara and Sophie's wedding tiara. None of them was a really successful design, if you ask me. Imagine that these beautiful brooches end up as something similar to the Swedish buttons tiaras. I am not sure if I'm going to stand that.:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom