The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?
The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara 8 4.85%
The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara 19 11.52%
The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara 9 5.45%
The Strathmore Rose Tiara 51 30.91%
The Spencer Tiara 7 4.24%
The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara) 11 6.67%
The Rundell Diamond Tiara 7 4.24%
Something that has been hidden in the Vaults! 33 20.00%
The Middletons will buy her a new one 9 5.45%
Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair. 9 5.45%
None of the Above 2 1.21%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 03:43 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
See Post #120
How would Munn know? Did the queen let him into the vault to do inventory?

I agree with previosu posters, it would be disastrous if HM 'puts something together' for kate. It is also interesting how Diana only got one tiara from HM, and luckily had use of the Spencer. I guess we'll all have to sit in suspense. I personally do not care for the Strathmore. I think it's so old fashioned and its diamonds are old cut and don't have the same sparkle as other pieces. Imagine if HM had the same ideas as Queen Mary about providing her daughters in-law and grandchildren in-law with 'proper' royal jewels. sigh...

Old 11-24-2010, 05:43 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Well, I am glad that she does not. Otherwise some very nice pieces would have disappeared & will disappear. The Kents were forced to seel jewels, the Lascelles jewels were rarely seen & sold etc. In two generations the same would happen if QEII would distribute more jewels along her children. The children of Princess Mararet sold many jewels immidiately after her death!

However, it would be nice if she would distribute more on a permanent loan or something. That way the collection stays in tact while more jewels will be used & all other royal ladies will have much more marbles to play with .

Old 11-24-2010, 06:32 PM
Administrator

I agree that it would be good if the BRF could follow the Dutch Royal Family and establish some sort of trust so that the jewels stay with the monarchy.

I would say that a lot of the jewels were sold because of death taxes. So some of it, unfortunately were necessary. It would be nice to see the Fife tiara every now again but what can you do when the next generation doesn't need it?

Old 11-24-2010, 06:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

What jewels have been sold that used to belong to the BRF? And where is the Fife tiara?
Old 11-24-2010, 06:55 PM
Administrator

It is alleged that Princess Margaret sold some of the late Princess's jewels to pay death taxes. The Kents have sold a lot of jewels and other items that belonged to their parents. Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent sold some after the death of her husband during WWII as they didn't have a lot of money.

I would imagine that the Fife tiara is with the ancestors of the late Duchess of Fife. Princess Louise was the daughter of Edward VII, a special remainder was created that allowed the title to default to the Duke's daughters and their male descendants. So the daughter, Alexandra was suceeded by her nephew. I would imagine that he has possession of the tiara.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

That's too bad about those jewels... I guess we'd most likely not see them again unless the BRF buys them all back but that would cost so much money.

Maybe they should follow the example of the Dutch royal family and have permanent loan until death so they don't lose anymore.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:47 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by qui mal y pense View Post
How would Munn know? Did the queen let him into the vault to do inventory?
Geoffrey Munn had almost unlimited access to the vaults when writing his book "Tiara's, A History of Splendour" and coordinating the exhibition that it accompanied
Old 11-25-2010, 02:48 PM
Nobility

Queen Mary bought parures for her daughters in-law. She didn't give away her own. (Actually with her penchant for 'accepting gifts' we can never be sure what Queen Mary bought). I would love to see the Portland tiara, currently for sale, bought to match her ring. I hope she will also get Diana's many sapphire pieces, like her pearl choker, the Saudi necklace, etc. She'd also look great in the art deco emerald choker. if they won't pull out the old beauties its time to buy new ones!
Old 11-25-2010, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by qui mal y pense View Post
Queen Mary bought parures for her daughters in-law. She didn't give away her own. (Actually with her penchant for 'accepting gifts' we can never be sure what Queen Mary bought). I would love to see the Portland tiara, currently for sale, bought to match her ring. I hope she will also get Diana's many sapphire pieces, like her pearl choker, the Saudi necklace, etc. She'd also look great in the art deco emerald choker. if they won't pull out the old beauties its time to buy new ones!
The turqiose Parure which is now with the Gloucesters was a Wedding gift from her parents and also the cambride sapphire Paure which was given to the duke of kent was inherited. And the sapphire tiara of Queen Victoria was given to hr daughter mary. So it where certainly Family pieces which where given to her daugther-in-laws.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:06 PM
Nobility

Sorry, I stand corrected!
Old 11-26-2010, 09:57 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by adela_cristina View Post
I think Catherine should have the Rundell tiara and Harry's wife the Strathmore.
The Rundell is a beautiful and "material" tiara, though I query whether it too big for somebody like Kate to wear at her wedding.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:03 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
The Rundell is a beautiful and "material" tiara, though I query whether it too big for somebody like Kate to wear at her wedding.
It appears that it is quite versatile with elements able to be removed.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:48 PM
Nobility

"Rundell" Tiara |Royal Wedding gift to Queen Alexandra | Jewel of the Royals

Just in case, somebody doesn't know how the Rundell tiara looks like...
Although it looks like a nice tiara I am not determined yet wether or not it would be a good idea - seems to be rather big.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:03 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by countess felicitas View Post
"Rundell" Tiara |Royal Wedding gift to Queen Alexandra | Jewel of the Royals

Just in case, somebody doesn't know how the Rundell tiara looks like...
Although it looks like a nice tiara I am not determined yet wether or not it would be a good idea - seems to be rather big.
Amazing as a wedding tiara then let her have the Scroll Tiara for smaller events.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:26 PM
Gentry

I don't think William and Catherine will let their wedding turn into a circus. I think whatever happens, and her wedding attire will be very elegant and classy. The Rundell is a beautiful tiara.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:44 AM
Commoner

Has anyone seen the Ruby Oriental Circlet since the Queen Mother died? I do not think that I have seen Camille in it yet. I think that would be perfect for Kate, or maybe the George III Fringe. I say the Oriental because we have at least seen it on someone fairly recently, whereas the Rundell has not been seen for many, many years. I think the chances that it has been broken up into something else are very high.

Someone mentioned a long time ago that the Queen was pretty good about who she gave the major pieces of jewels to, so that they would remain in the Family, so there was no need to do something like the Dutch royal family have done, create a trust or foundation that owns all the jewels of the royal family. I still think that is the best solution because if you where to do that then all the women in the family can wear anything in the foundation, with no worry of the pieces being given away when someone dies, and also then anyone can wear anything, without someone saying things such as, well the Queen has be careful because she still needs to wear them, or oh no that is the Duchess of Cornwall's, so and so cannot wear that.
There would be no worry about, well did the Queen "give" that to her, or just "Loaned" it. It would stay in the foundation no matter what.
Plus, then we would not be sitting here wondering what the Queen was going to give her, she would have access to everything and she would not be limited to just one or two tiaras.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by royski1 View Post
Has anyone seen the Ruby Oriental Circlet since the Queen Mother died? I do not think that I have seen Camille in it yet. I think that would be perfect for Kate, or maybe the George III Fringe. I say the Oriental because we have at least seen it on someone fairly recently, whereas the Rundell has not been seen for many, many years. I think the chances that it has been broken up into something else are very high.
The Oriental Cirvlet was one time worn by the Queen ata Commonwealth Gahering i believe at Malta. It can not worn by Camilla atthe moment as it was left to the Crown by Queen Vicotira and therefore only Queens can wear it. The present Queen allowed her mother to use it further after the death of her father because it was a favourite of the Queen Mother.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:07 AM
Serene Highness

The Queen has worn the Oriental Circlet once since her Mother passed away. It was in Malta a couple of years ago. Personally, I'd like to see this piece with the original Opal's restored.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:24 PM
Commoner

Breaking News:

Old 11-28-2010, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

How would they know? To me it sounds more like a wild guess than serious journalism.
I wonder when we will read the first article saying that Catherine is going to recycle Diana's wedding dress.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding