The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?
The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara 8 4.85%
The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara 19 11.52%
The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara 9 5.45%
The Strathmore Rose Tiara 51 30.91%
The Spencer Tiara 7 4.24%
The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara) 11 6.67%
The Rundell Diamond Tiara 7 4.24%
Something that has been hidden in the Vaults! 33 20.00%
The Middletons will buy her a new one 9 5.45%
Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair. 9 5.45%
None of the Above 2 1.21%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 12:11 AM
Nobility

Kate Middleton ‘to borrow Queen’s tiara’ for Royal Wedding | The Sun |News|Royal Wedding

Old 04-26-2011, 12:40 AM
Serene Highness

Not that I would refuse it if it were offered to me, but I really don't care for that tiara. I much prefer the Strathmore.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:50 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

If worn well & with the right wedding dress I think it would look good but in general, its not a tiara I would go for as its design I find quite boring, there are much nicer ones she could wear.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:03 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
If worn well & with the right wedding dress I think it would look good but in general, its not a tiara I would go for as its design I find quite boring, there are much nicer ones she could wear.
I had predicted. I'm sure you will fit too.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samitude View Post
If Catherine does wear a tiara (which I hope she does) I hope she will wear it in a fashion where it can be seen. It will have to be fairly large. If it's a small one than her veil should fall flat behind it. It was so difficult to see the tiaras of Princess Mary of Denmark, Princess Alexandra of Denmark, Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece, Princess Tessy of Luxembourg and all of Princess Margriet of the Netherlands' daughters-in-law's.
I agree with you that bridal tiaras more often than not get kind of drowned by the veil, especially if it the briede wears a puffy tulle veil. My favourite royal brides in that respect were Mette-Marit an Victoria. Mette-Marit really made the most of her rather small but beautiful tiara, because her veil was fixed above the bun at the back of her head. Victoria too fixed the veil behind her tiara, although it would take a great deal to hide the grand cameo tiara with a veil.
Kate seems to be the kind of women who prefers clear lines to frills and fluffyness, so I hope she will go this way with her veil, too.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:17 AM
Courtier

Royal wedding: gambler hopes to pocket £72,000 on Kate Middleton tiara bet - Telegraph
Old 04-26-2011, 09:20 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
I agree with you that bridal tiaras more often than not get kind of drowned by the veil, especially if it the briede wears a puffy tulle veil. My favourite royal brides in that respect were Mette-Marit an Victoria. Mette-Marit really made the most of her rather small but beautiful tiara, because her veil was fixed above the bun at the back of her head. Victoria too fixed the veil behind her tiara, although it would take a great deal to hide the grand cameo tiara with a veil.
Kate seems to be the kind of women who prefers clear lines to frills and fluffyness, so I hope she will go this way with her veil, too.
And that is what I found not beautiful at all. I think that a veil should be attached to the crown/tiara/whatever. It seemed out of place, as if the veil was added as an afterthought.
Victoria's was better placed but then again I don't have an high opinion of the Cameo Tiara - I think it is way too big.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:26 AM

I guess she´ll come up with a tiara we have not seen before.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:27 AM
Majesty

Its certainly one I have suggested previously might be used. HM used it recently (2009?) in Trinidad & Tobago after many decades - query whether that was one final swan song use for her before passing it on to Catherine?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:35 AM
Courtier

Like the Girls of Britian and Ireland tiara, there is almost zero chance of that happening. Nice to have that kind of money to waste.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:44 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
Like the Girls of Britian and Ireland tiara, there is almost zero chance of that happening. Nice to have that kind of money to waste.

I know that is an awful amount of money to put down... I hope you are right and she does not wear this Tiara because I want to see it on Zara this summer...
Old 04-26-2011, 10:13 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann View Post
I know that is an awful amount of money to put down... I hope you are right and she does not wear this Tiara because I want to see it on Zara this summer...
I would be very surprised if Zara wore the Fringe tiara - only ever worn by senior royal ladies. Anne herself was probably the "junior" most of the royal ladies tro ever wear it, so highly doubtful IMO that her daughter would.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Royal Highness

I think we have a better chance of seeing the fringe on Zara than we do on Catherine. I like the idea of it being for QEII's descendants only. And I can't picture Zara in a tiara.

I'm still sticking with the Strahmore Rose tiara, but the Cambridge Lovers' Knot is creeping in there, especially if the Queen makes William the Duke of Cambridge on the wedding day. That title is "up for grabs"?
Old 04-26-2011, 12:45 PM
Serene Highness

Question about the fringe tiara: I've always believed that the then Princess Elizabeth borrowed the tiara from her MOTHER (Queen Elizabeth) for her wedding day not grandmother (Queen Mary) as Queen Elizabeth was the one who owned/or used it the most at the time. The Queen Mum also loaned it to Princess Anne for her wedding day in 1973. But some articles say that Princess Elizabeth borrowed the tiara from Queen Mary.
I think part of the confusion is that the Queen Mum did not have as much as access to the jewel vaults as she should have as Queen Consort because Queen Mary hung on to most of the tiaras and jewels (she did buy them after all) even though her daughter-in-law was not the consort.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:06 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann View Post
If the woman who placed the bet did have some sort of inside information like knowing the tiara has gone out for cleaning or something, could it be getting ready for Zara instead of Kate?
Old 04-26-2011, 03:39 PM
Courtier

Any thing is possible ..

. I don't know why some people think Zara would not have a chance to wear this tiara her mother and grandmother both wore it on their wedding day..
Old 04-26-2011, 03:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristineML View Post
If the woman who placed the bet did have some sort of inside information like knowing the tiara has gone out for cleaning or something, could it be getting ready for Zara instead of Kate?

I would bet dollars to donuts that Zara will be wearing the Fringe tiara for her wedding. This is why: The Queen Mother wore it, her daughter wore it for her wedding, her daughter wore it for her wedding......there's a pattern there, I believe.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-26-2011, 05:31 PM
Courtier

I just said that............
Old 04-26-2011, 05:47 PM
Aristocracy

I can see Catherine in the fringe tiara, although that's not what I would have picked out for her. She is a future Queen of England, after all -- we may see it at the wedding and then not again on her for years, maybe until William becomes King himself.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
Question about the fringe tiara: I've always believed that the then Princess Elizabeth borrowed the tiara from her MOTHER (Queen Elizabeth) for her wedding day not grandmother (Queen Mary) as Queen Elizabeth was the one who owned/or used it the most at the time. The Queen Mum also loaned it to Princess Anne for her wedding day in 1973. But some articles say that Princess Elizabeth borrowed the tiara from Queen Mary.
Many fringe tiaras (and they were a very popular design at the turn of the century) were convertible to a necklace once the frame was removed. The Queen's wedding tiara was one of Queen Mary's convertible fringe pieces and she has since worn it as a necklace.

The George III Fringe Tiara was made to Queen Mary's order by Garrard's in 1919 and was one of the pieces selected by Queen Elizabeth from the royal collection (which remained entirely with Queen Mary until her death in 1952) when she became Queen. Princess Anne was loaned the tiara for her wedding day by her grandmother, but The Queen hasn't worn it until recently, when it returned to the royal collection after her mother's death.

This is the tiara the media is speculating will be lent to Catherine on her wedding day.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding