The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?
The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara 8 4.85%
The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara 19 11.52%
The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara 9 5.45%
The Strathmore Rose Tiara 51 30.91%
The Spencer Tiara 7 4.24%
The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara) 11 6.67%
The Rundell Diamond Tiara 7 4.24%
Something that has been hidden in the Vaults! 33 20.00%
The Middletons will buy her a new one 9 5.45%
Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair. 9 5.45%
None of the Above 2 1.21%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 06:40 PM
Administrator

As a reminder...the wedding of William and Catherine is getting a lot of media attention and a lot of newbies to the world of royalty and those who don't regularly follow the British Royals (there are some people who prefer the Dutch for example) are discovering TRF.

Some of us are very knowledgable about the British Royal Family and some of us are on a learning curve. Let's be courteous and kind to those who might not know as much as we do and don't have the time to read 57 pages of Catherine's Wedding Tiara and Jewels to catch up with what we know.

Thanks!

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Old 04-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by katherine2001 View Post
Do the children's ancestry only come through the father? I wasn't aware of that. How can Prince William only be a Windsor and not also a Spencer? I certainly consider myself as much a member of my mother's family as I do my father's family. Since Prince William is a member of the Spencer family as well as the Windsor family, isn't Kate marrying into the Spencer family as well as the Windsor family?

No one is saying that William is not half-Spencer. He is. The point is, when you a marry a man, you take his last name (or at least, most women do). Therefore, you're marrying into THAT family. If my husband's last name is Jones, and his mother's maiden name was Smith, I'm not marrying into the Smith family, I'm marrying into the Jones family.

So it doesn't matter what William's late mother's maiden name was. His family as a royal, is the House of Windsor. That's the family Catherine is marrying into.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-22-2011, 08:20 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine

No one is saying that William is not half-Spencer. He is. The point is, when you a marry a man, you take his last name (or at least, most women do). Therefore, you're marrying into THAT family. If my husband's last name is Jones, and his mother's maiden name was Smith, I'm not marrying into the Smith family, I'm marrying into the Jones family.

So it doesn't matter what William's late mother's maiden name was. His family as a royal, is the House of Windsor. That's the family Catherine is marrying into.
So....if I take ny husbands last name I'm marrying into to his family, is he marrying into mine if he doesn't take my last name? And since I took his last name I'm only marrying into his Dads side of the family, not his mom's? I think we will have to agree to disagree on this-

She's marrying into the BRF insitution, that I agree with- and I get your point in that way
Old 04-22-2011, 08:23 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrant View Post
I agree. I didn't bring it up because it is so large. It was large for Camilla, also, in my opinion. It's an impressive tiara, but it is HUGE!!! I can't think of anyone who can wear it well.
The only one with the stature to wear it was Queen Mary. Take a look at her here:

Golden Aged: Delhi Durbar
Old 04-22-2011, 08:40 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdxyz View Post
The only one with the stature to wear it was Queen Mary.
Oh, I don't know ... I think anyone with a serious updo, a very tight corset and a sense of entitlement could pull it off.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
The only one with the stature to wear it was Queen Mary. Take a look at her here:

Golden Aged: Delhi Durbar
It does look good on her! I always thought Queen Mary was a beautiful woman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenw View Post
Oh, I don't know ... I think anyone with a serious updo, a very tight corset and a sense of entitlement could pull it off.
Well,that leaves me out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Don't worry about mgrant. Its all good

Really the Spencer Tiara is a beautiful tiara but there are plenty of jewels in the Windsor vault that Kate can wear.

And yes, William is half Spencer half Windsor but Catherine is marrying into the House of Windsor (add Mountbatten if you like).
Now if Kate was from an established family with a tiara of their won, than I expect she would wear that. I just don't think that has been the case.

I believe that the late Duchess of Kent (Princess Marina of Greece and Denmark) wore a tiara that had been in her family, as did Princess Alexandra of Denmark (when marrying The Prince of Wales) and the late Duchess of Gloucester.
Thanks, Zonk.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Gentry

Quote:
It does look good on her! I always thought Queen Mary was a beautiful woman.
I agree--she was really statuesque and commanding, and she WORE her clothes and jewels--they didn't wear her!
Old 04-22-2011, 09:03 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I believe that the late Duchess of Kent (Princess Marina of Greece and Denmark) wore a tiara that had been in her family, as did Princess Alexandra of Denmark (when marrying The Prince of Wales) and the late Duchess of Gloucester.
Actually Princess Marina's wedding tiara was a wedding gift. I cannot recall who from! Her daughter wore the same tiara at her wedding as did Princess Michael at the evening reception in Vienna after her civil wedding.
Princess Alexandra of Denmark wore the Rundell Parure at her wedding. This was a gift from her bridegroom.

Hopefully we will see the Rundell again on the 29th
Old 04-22-2011, 09:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I agree--she was really statuesque and commanding, and she WORE her clothes and jewels--they didn't wear her!
YES!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
Actually Princess Marina's wedding tiara was a wedding gift. I cannot recall who from! Her daughter wore the same tiara at her wedding as did Princess Michael at the evening reception in Vienna after her civil wedding.
Princess Alexandra of Denmark wore the Rundell Parure at her wedding. This was a gift from her bridegroom.

Hopefully we will see the Rundell again on the 29th
Does anyone have a pix of the Rundell? I'd love to see it...
Old 04-22-2011, 10:08 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Does anyone have a pix of the Rundell? I'd love to see it...
Here: "Rundell" Tiara |Royal Wedding gift to Queen Alexandra | Jewel of the Royals
Old 04-22-2011, 10:46 PM
Royal Highness

Lovely! This one certainly would be nice to see-
Old 04-22-2011, 11:47 PM
Commoner

Interesting that Queen Mary is perceived as "statuesque" when she was only 5 foot 6. But she certainly does "read" as tall and commanding!

Great taste in jewels, especially tiaras. But I don't much care for her spoiled attitude that seemed to think it was okay for her to "persuade" her hosts into handing over their treasures just because Little Poor-Girl Princess had childhood entitlement issues and thought she "deserved" stuff.

As for tiaras, I've always loved that spiky diamond and pearl one that Princess Michael wears, the one that greatly resembles the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland one HM favours. It would look delicious on Catherine...but never to happen.

Did Wallis ever wear tiaras after her marriage? I know she was deprived of being HRH, but she was still a duchess married to a royal duke...I don't recall ever seeing pictures of her in a tiara.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:27 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
Lovely! This one certainly would be nice to see-
It is lovely.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:33 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess Rennie View Post
Interesting that Queen Mary is perceived as "statuesque" when she was only 5 foot 6. But she certainly does "read" as tall and commanding!

Great taste in jewels, especially tiaras. But I don't much care for her spoiled attitude that seemed to think it was okay for her to "persuade" her hosts into handing over their treasures just because Little Poor-Girl Princess had childhood entitlement issues and thought she "deserved" stuff.

As for tiaras, I've always loved that spiky diamond and pearl one that Princess Michael wears, the one that greatly resembles the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland one HM favours. It would look delicious on Catherine...but never to happen.

Did Wallis ever wear tiaras after her marriage? I know she was deprived of being HRH, but she was still a duchess married to a royal duke...I don't recall ever seeing pictures of her in a tiara.
It was bad enough that she was divorced and some of the royals did not have a very high opinion of her. If she showed up wearing a tiara they would have been highly upset, to say the least! If she has a tiara Edward bought it for her. He bought her lots of jewelry. I don't recall ever seeing her in a tiara either, but it doesn't mean she didn't have one....
Old 04-23-2011, 09:20 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
No, but I'm fairly confident that if William were to call up Uncle Spencer and ask to borrow it that he would not be denied, for a number of reasons.
William just wouldn't do it from a protocol point of view.

It would really be drawing a line from Diana to Catherine and if Catherine has any sense of creating her own image/style/presence then she shouldn't do it.

It would be lovely for her family to purchase one especially for her but failing that, this forum has established that there are plenty of gorgeous tiaras in the BRF collection she can choose from.

She'll look lovely in anything - anyone is enhanced by diamonds in their hair - and she's so photogenic. I'm so excited to see what she'll wear and how...less than a week to go!!!
Old 04-23-2011, 10:06 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
No, but I'm fairly confident that if William were to call up Uncle Spencer and ask to borrow it that he would not be denied, for a number of reasons.
HM would never countenance that course of action. Earl Spencer may be HM,s godson but I'm certain she keeps him at more than arms length given his disgusting display of bad manners at his sisters funeral, too say nothing of his deplorable "not so" private life.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:08 PM
Heir Apparent

There's been mention of the Portland sapphire tiara, recently sold at auction for over one million dollars.
There's no saying who purchased it, but the buyer could possibly be Charles or the Middletons. That would be perfect for Kate, imo- not too overwhelming, not too insignificant.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:27 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
There's been mention of the Portland sapphire tiara, recently sold at auction for over one million dollars.
There's no saying who purchased it, but the buyer could possibly be Charles or the Middletons. That would be perfect for Kate, imo- not too overwhelming, not too insignificant.
Wouldn't that be fabulous? However unlikely it is..... *sigh* more like wishful thinking on our part
Old 04-23-2011, 12:28 PM
Serene Highness

Aaaand could count as the "something old" or "something blue" ......
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:49 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess Rennie View Post
Wallis did have a tiara. I've seen a picture of her wearing it- it was kinda "dinky" in size, not very pretty, either. She was said not to like wearing a tiara. Oh, here's the picture of her wearing it. This also has a close-up of it off her head (so to speak).

A NYer in PDX: Tiara Obsessed

If this link doesn't go to the Wallis picture, it was on the December 6 2010 page of the blog. Also google Images wallis tiara works.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding