The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?
The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara 8 4.85%
The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara 19 11.52%
The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara 9 5.45%
The Strathmore Rose Tiara 51 30.91%
The Spencer Tiara 7 4.24%
The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara) 11 6.67%
The Rundell Diamond Tiara 7 4.24%
Something that has been hidden in the Vaults! 33 20.00%
The Middletons will buy her a new one 9 5.45%
Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair. 9 5.45%
None of the Above 2 1.21%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 05:25 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
She's not a Queen yet, so she has no business wearing a crown. It would actually be very pretentious if she did.
ITA--even if she wanted to wear it, I am pretty sure she would not be given the opportunity to be this pretentious!

Old 04-21-2011, 05:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
The Queen is not going to lend Catherine any tiara which she herself currently wears. The Queen's tiaras are either designated to be worn by a Queen in right of the Crown, were a bequest from Queen Mary or were designed using gems given to HM as a state gift.

There are, however, at least twenty other tiaras available, some of which haven't been touched in fifty years, that certainly could be chosen as a wedding gift for Catherine. My hope is we see an old chestnut refurbished or redesigned for her.
Thanks. Too bad, though. Those are really beautiful.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:50 PM
Serene Highness

Here's a picture of Catherine with her hair up

http://i56.tinypic.com/jkbywl.png

Apparently she had an up-do after visiting her stylist earlier this week. Is this a hint of things to come?
Old 04-21-2011, 05:52 PM
Courtier

Look like a hair stlye for a tiara if there ever was one , too me.........but it also looks like she has alot less of it.. wish we could see the back of her head.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:55 PM
Serene Highness

The last word I would think to describe Kate is pretentious :)
There are some wonderful options here

More British Royal Tiaras - The Tudors Wiki

actually after seeing and reading it I found myself very mad at Queen Mary! :P
All my favorites were passed on to her other children and now belong to the Gloucester and Kent's!
Maybe it's just that I prefer the not so big and not so pointy ones, but when I actually see all them, all the ones I would like to see Catherine using are with a different branch of the family. :/

Pr William and Catherine will be representing the BRF in a lot of occasions over the years. So I hope Catherine will be able to use different pieces and not the same one over and over and over again. I'm very aware that she won't Queen yet, but what a great opportunity to display some forgotten tiaras!

EDIT: Madame Royale I found this tiara, would you mind doing a photoshop with it ?
http://news.webshots.com/photo/28978...56005517cubDGo
(does anyone know if even belongs to the BRF? )
it looks really lovely. specially if worn with these earings
http://news.webshots.com/photo/29585...56005517pNBADz
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
http://i56.tinypic.com/jkbywl.png

Apparently she had an up-do after visiting her stylist earlier this week. Is this a hint of things to come?
is that a picture of a video or a picture of a video of a picture?
I asked because it's hard to say if she's sporting an actual hairdo or just decided to have her hair up.
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:14 PM
Majesty

Wow.I just noticed that Diana wore only two tiaras,the Spencer and the Cambridge.Am I wrong?I wonder why.A lot of other Princesses wear a lot of tiaras.I hope Kate does not wear only two!

And I know the queen doesnt lend her favorites but it is possible to lend one to Kate for a day.Is the queen going to wear a tiara at the wedding?
Old 04-21-2011, 10:19 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
And I know the queen doesnt lend her favorites but it is possible to lend one to Kate for a day.Is the queen going to wear a tiara at the wedding?
No. This will be a hat wedding, much like all previous ones (British Royals) .
Perhaps Your Majesty would consider Kate wearing one of her favorites at the wedding as a complement.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Wow.I just noticed that Diana wore only two tiaras,the Spencer and the Cambridge.Am I wrong?I wonder why.A lot of other Princesses wear a lot of tiaras.I hope Kate does not wear only two!
The British royal women don't really share tiaras. Basically, most of the tiaras belong to the Queen and she will give tiaras to her daughters or daughters-in-law (or lend until the marriage ends as it happened in the 90s) to wear (and they might lend a tiara to a daughter/in-law for a wedding like Princess Anne did for Autumn). Usually, you only get one as was the case with Diana, Sarah and Sophie (the Spencer tiara came from Diana's family).
In other royal families, the ladies share their tiara collection so it looks like a particular princess has more tiaras but it's really she has more tiaras at her disposal to wear.
This blog has a good round-up of the situation with Princess Maxima and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa.
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Flashback Friday: Máxima's Tiaras
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Flashback Friday: Grand Duchess Maria Teresa's Tiaras
Old 04-21-2011, 10:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

No, I believe the mode of dress is morning dress, which calls for hats for ladies, not tiaras. The only woman in the Abbey with a tiara will be Catherine.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-21-2011, 11:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
The British royal women don't really share tiaras. Basically, most of the tiaras belong to the Queen and she will give tiaras to her daughters or daughters-in-law (or lend until the marriage ends as it happened in the 90s) to wear (and they might lend a tiara to a daughter/in-law for a wedding like Princess Anne did for Autumn). Usually, you only get one as was the case with Diana, Sarah and Sophie (the Spencer tiara came from Diana's family).
In other royal families, the ladies share their tiara collection so it looks like a particular princess has more tiaras but it's really she has more tiaras at her disposal to wear.
This blog has a good round-up of the situation with Princess Maxima and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa.
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Flashback Friday: Máxima's Tiaras
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Flashback Friday: Grand Duchess Maria Teresa's Tiaras
I really like the concept that the ladies share the tiara collection and that the collection remains the property of the monarch. My reasons are varied: I love the fact that the Dutch royal ladies have a variety of different tiaras to use and its always a joy to see which one will pop up wearing a specific tiara. And there is no difference...Maxima might wear it, than Beatrix, Laurentien and maybe even Aimee (though not that often for her). A lof of the fantastic jewelry that belonged to Queen Mary was given to the Kent and Gloucester families (and the Fife and Connaughts in the previous generation), I certainly understand the need to share the wealth so to speak, but in future generations that don't have the need for the tiaras...they end up sitting in a vault or being sold to settle death duties. I certainly fear for the future Kent and Gloucesters when the current Dukes die, we might never see those treasures again.

As previously mentioned, I am sure the Queen has extra baubles that haven't seen the light of day in quite some time. It would be fantastic if one of those appeared on the 29th.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:10 AM
Serene Highness

1 week to go, people!
Old 04-22-2011, 12:21 AM
Serene Highness

It would be great when, in the future, there may be a need to sell these jewels of the royal family, they could be bought back by the monarchy rather than ending up someplace and possibly being dismantled, or at least giving the monarchy the first opportunity to purchase them back.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:01 AM
Commoner

Wow everyone has been quite busy. We are at a fever pitch with a week to go!

AR
Old 04-22-2011, 02:02 AM
Aristocracy

I read the Tudors Wiki page and it's very interesting. I'm glad I can still bat for the Teck Crescent to be worn by Kate, next week. It's an absolute stunner

I was rooting for The Fife Diamond Tiara or The Princess Marie Louise to be worn by her at Charles's coronation, but alas, they are not available for her. At least there's still the Londonderry...
Old 04-22-2011, 02:37 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Kate Middleton likely to wear Cambridge Lovers Knot Tiara on wedding day
Article
Old 04-22-2011, 07:21 AM
Aristocracy

I'm taking this with a grain of salt. All it says is that it "would be appropriate" for Katherine to wear the Lover's Knot.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:53 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae View Post
I found this tiara...
Pearl & Diamond Tiara pictures from history photos on webshots
(does anyone know if even belongs to the BRF? )
It's not a British royal tiara.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:59 AM
Administrator

I would take this with a grain of salt. The article incorrectly states that Diana wore the Cambridge on her wedding day, and she actually wore the Spencer tiara.

I think Kate will eventully wear the Cambridge, I am just not sure that she will wear it on her wedding day.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Honestly it would be a pity for Kate to wear the Cambridge tiara on her wedding day or any tiara worn by Diana as everybody would compare the two in he tiaras. Its Kates big day and I think the attention she be on her & not comparing to Diana. There are a few tiaras that she can wear, it doesn't have to be a big one.

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding